HUGE Louisiana sinkhole!!!!

dr.einstein

User ID: 25192789
United States
10/13/2012 07:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: HUGE Louisiana sinkhole!!!!
I READ SOMTIME THIS YEAR . THAT DRILLERS IN ARKANSAS TOUCHED WITH OIL AT 90 FEET...CANT FIND ARTICLE, I BELIEVE SATURATION IS UPTO LITTLE ROCK...
Search Results
Messages with a subject matching "arkansas" (874 found)
[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
 Quoting: Nitroglycerin

well, as much as i like my catastrophe theory, i don't
think even i could fetch it that far. but, if we lose
all of southern louisiana, then who knows what the hell
is going on.....
dr.einstein

United States
10/13/2012 10:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Folks. don't lose sight of the fact that the
sinkhole-and-cavern problem is only a small part
of this whole thing.

the fundamental problem with the "cavern" is that
Texas Brine did not conform to established engineering standards
when they were harvesting the brine from the cavern: they
washed away too much of the salt structure from the sides
of the cavern and thereby weakened the cavern structure
to the point of causing collapse (which in turn puts
the entire Napoleanville Salt Dome complex in jeopardy)

the MOST HUGE part of the problem is that coincidentally with this
salt dome fiasco, a deep reservoir of natural gas has decided
to seep its way to the surface -- and it is this natural
gas which coincidentally filled the Texas Brine "cavern".

But! more importantly, all of this natural gas, which
is leaking up from a reservoir deep in the earth's crust,
is ALSO saturating all of the ground in southern louisiana --
and it is this "natural gas problem" that is the catastrophic component of the whole situation.
 Quoting: dr.einstein

bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24518278
United States
10/14/2012 10:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -
"If EVER something cataclysmic occurs in the region, I have this feeling that we will hear that some undetected meteor or weapon hit the region as the cause of the event."

-Just told my mom (who is in FL!!) yesterday that I think I rather die from the fall-out then to have to live the rest of my life hearing, 'It was the A-Rabs' or 'We just had nooooo idea this could happennnnn'

And whats all this only La. danger (dr e?)? I do not agree... explosion - nuclear reaction - bam, bam, bam, RIGHT??? - Not to mention, faults etc... Stop trying to get people in all the other states to not pay attention, think not many people give a rat's ass bout some cajuns? That may be, but let people understand that their ass is on the line, too, PUNK!
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/14/2012 10:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -
"If EVER something cataclysmic occurs in the region, I have this feeling that we will hear that some undetected meteor or weapon hit the region as the cause of the event."

-Just told my mom (who is in FL!!) yesterday that I think I rather die from the fall-out then to have to live the rest of my life hearing, 'It was the A-Rabs' or 'We just had nooooo idea this could happennnnn'

And whats all this only La. danger (dr e?)? I do not agree... explosion - nuclear reaction - bam, bam, bam, RIGHT??? - Not to mention, faults etc... Stop trying to get people in all the other states to not pay attention, think not many people give a rat's ass bout some cajuns? That may be, but let people understand that their ass is on the line, too, PUNK!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24518278

i don't want to cloud the issue by talking about southwest mississippi and and east texas. southern louisiana is quite
enough for starters.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19535695
United States
10/14/2012 10:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -

i don't want to cloud the issue by talking about southwest mississippi and and east texas. southern louisiana is quite
enough for starters.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25192789

I live in south Mississippi about 6 miles from the beach ...
Have been having rumblings off and on here and can see the water vibrate at times like in the toilet, have had major dizzyness and head buzzing going on for days now . Just this morning had a major bird scare that I have never witnessed down here caught some of it on video after it started

[link to s136.photobucket.com]

I am of the opinion that its getting far worse than they want us to know :(
I would like to add the strange behavior of my dogs lately as well ... on edge barking often at nothing
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/14/2012 10:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -

enough for starters.

Have been having rumblings off and on here and can see the water vibrate at times like in the toilet, have had major dizzyness and head buzzing going on for days now . Just this morning had a major bird scare that I have never witnessed down here caught some of it on video after it started

Quoting: >~* Flutterby Fringe*~<

rumbling in the toilet water is a sign that the vent pipe
on you house's sewer line may be clogged. it could cause
methane to fart through the traps and into the house and
give you headaches.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19535695
United States
10/14/2012 10:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -

enough for starters.

give you headaches.

LOL touche but I merely used the toilet as an example have seen a glass of water sitting on a marble topped coffee table do this as well. Have a friend who lives close to pascagoula ms and has the same experiences at her house as well ...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24518278
United States
10/14/2012 10:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -

enough for starters.

For starters, this did NOT just start!! - There are MANY issues, methane saturation for just 3 regions not being one of them, IMO.

MANY states are at risk - if you are all about the methane, why are you not 'theorizing' about the faults, cracks and fissures and/or what kind of nuclear chain-reaction an explosion will set off??!!

People, this could HARM the entire East Coast, yo! The media is not making a peep about it, WHYYYYY?
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/14/2012 10:52 AM
Report Abusive Post

enough for starters.

give you headaches.

LOL touche but I merely used the toilet as an example have seen a glass of water sitting on a marble topped coffee table do this as well. Have a friend who lives close to pascagoula ms and has the same experiences at her house as well ...

it's possible that there could be minor earthquakes in
your area, and they would be so small that the USGS wouldn't
know unless they have seismographs installed locally.

check with your nearest university's geology department
and see if anyone there is doing seismic readings in the area.
alexisj9

User ID: 1376880
United Kingdom
10/14/2012 11:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -

enough for starters.

For starters, this did NOT just start!! - There are MANY issues, methane saturation for just 3 regions not being one of them, IMO.

MANY states are at risk - if you are all about the methane, why are you not 'theorizing' about the faults, cracks and fissures and/or what kind of nuclear chain-reaction an explosion will set off??!!

People, this could HARM the entire East Coast, yo! The media is not making a peep about it, WHYYYYY?

Simple they've been asked not too, or may be even paid not too.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/14/2012 11:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -

enough for starters.

Simple they've been asked not too, or may be even paid not too.
 Quoting: alexisj9

true. this could be a vexing enough problem that the
experts are still scratching their heads about it,
and they won't go public with anything until they're
satisfied that they have a good handle on this thing.

and, of course, if it's taking them this long for them to
"get a handle on it", it must be a real doozie of a problem.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/14/2012 11:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
folks. just be guided in the knowledge that the authorities
did not tell the crew of the space shuttle Columbia that they were going to die.
Esoteric Morgan
...in awe of many things

User ID: 3539589
United States
10/14/2012 11:50 AM

Report Abusive Post
at EM -

Thank you.

dr e said to forget about the sinkholes. i read his post a few times, hoping that his statement could be taken to have meant that the sinkhole debacles were just a SMALL part of the problem ...and, I think his point is correct about gas deposits throughout the region.

(note: I thought that I had edited this statement earlier, and have just found out that it did not go through. meaning, I SEE Dr. E's point, and, I agree with him.)

The following is a 1999 report about the tenuous nature of the region. These are the facts which have been continually discounted by the oil, gas, and, chemical industries:

FAULTING SUBSIDENCE AND LAND LOSS IN COASTAL LOUISIANA

[link to www.coastalenv.com]

Summary and Conclusions

"...Geotechnical subsidence occurs as movement along circular patterns of faults, which circumscribe collapse features, and along linear growth faults. Collapse features may be induced by salt depletion at depth and/or sediment loading at the surface. Movement along growth faults occurs in response to compaction, geosynclinal downwarping and gravity slumping.

The origin and locations of major growth faults are related to basement topography and earth crust movements. Once established they become zones of weakness where vertical displacement in response to sediment loading occurs.

Cumulative displacement of beds indicates that some have been active since Cretaceous times. Thus, the down-thrown blocks of growth faults become depressions which "attract" deposition, and in turn cause movement on the faults.

The coastal region is divided into a mosaic of massive fault-bound blocks...

...Until recently, fault movement in the coastal lowlands was masked and went unnoticed because of accretion processes. However, within the last 40 years the effects of fault movement have become more evident because of increased rates of sinking and reduction of accretion processes.

Fault traces have become visibly delineated by patterns of land loss and marsh deterioration...

...The Baton Rouge Fault System, located along the rim of the Gulf Salt Dome Basin, is active and has caused structural damage to building foundations and bridges. Some minor earthquake activity may be related to movement along this fault system. A zone of intensive faulting (Lake Borgne Fault Zone) occurs between the Lake Sand-Frenier and Mauvais Bois alignments. Occurrence of numerous lakes in this zone may be related to faults. Collapse features which may have contributed to land loss include the Calcasieu Lake, Four Island, Lake Washington and active Mississippi Delta features..."

===============
That is just one of many similar studies done in regards to geological fault patterns throughout the southern states.

The truth is, such studies also revealed the various oil and gas deposits available for extraction in such a landscape. The sheer make-up of some salt domes were found to be excellent natural sources of oil 'accumulation,' as well their potential use as storage facilities.

The bottom line is that even with foreknowledge of the geological 'red flags' found throughout the region, major players, such as those in the the gas, oil, and chemical industries, have chosen to ignore sound judgement so continuously, that the revelation of these cautionary geological reports gain little or no traction.

But, no matter which angle you view it from, the situation in the Gulf, in Bayou Corne, in outlying ares, from the Macondo Well up on through and into the second tier of southern states, all sit on geological time-bombs, possibly more interconnected than most people care to believe.

Last Edited by esotericMorgan on 10/14/2012 12:25 PM
-- TRUST THE PLAN --
.......WWG1WGA......

United States
10/14/2012 11:53 AM

Report Abusive Post
at EM -

Thank you.

dr e said to forget about the sinkholes. i read his post a few times, hoping that his statement could be taken to have meant that the sinkhole debacles were just a SMALL part of the problem...which is actually correct. The potential for an upsurgence of the extentsive gas deposits is already being seen. That is what I think his main point is, which is valid.

The following is a 1999 report about the tenuous nature of the region. These are the facts which have been continually discounted by the oil, gas, and, chemical industries:

FAULTING SUBSIDENCE AND LAND LOSS IN COASTAL LOUISIANA

[link to www.coastalenv.com]

Summary and Conclusions

"...Geotechnical subsidence occurs as movement along circular patterns of faults, which circumscribe collapse features, and along linear growth faults. Collapse features may be induced by salt depletion at depth and/or sediment loading at the surface. Movement along growth faults occurs in response to compaction, geosynclinal downwarping and gravity slumping.

The origin and locations of major growth faults are related to basement topography and earth crust movements. Once established they become zones of weakness where vertical displacement in response to sediment loading occurs.

Cumulative displacement of beds indicates that some have been active since Cretaceous times. Thus, the down-thrown blocks of growth faults become depressions which "attract" deposition, and in turn cause movement on the faults.

The coastal region is divided into a mosaic of massive fault-bound blocks...

...Until recently, fault movement in the coastal lowlands was masked and went unnoticed because of accretion processes. However, within the last 40 years the effects of fault movement have become more evident because of increased rates of sinking and reduction of accretion processes.

Fault traces have become visibly delineated by patterns of land loss and marsh deterioration...

...The Baton Rouge Fault System, located along the rim of the Gulf Salt Dome Basin, is active and has caused structural damage to building foundations and bridges. Some minor earthquake activity may be related to movement along this fault system. A zone of intensive faulting (Lake Borgne Fault Zone) occurs between the Lake Sand-Frenier and Mauvais Bois alignments. Occurrence of numerous lakes in this zone may be related to faults. Collapse features which may have contributed to land loss include the Calcasieu Lake, Four Island, Lake Washington and active Mississippi Delta features..."

===============
That is just one of many similar studies done in regards to geological fault patterns throughout the southern states.

The truth is, such studies also revealed the various oil and gas deposits available for extraction in such a landscape. The sheer make-up of some salt domes were found to be excellent natural sources of oil 'accumulation,' as well their potential use as storage facilities.

The bottom line is that even with foreknowledge of the geological 'red flags' found throughout the region, major players, such as those in the the gas, oil, and chemical industries, have chosen to ignore sound judgement so continuously, that the revelation of these cautionary geological reports gain little or no traction.

But, no matter which angle you view it from, the situation in the Gulf, in Bayou Corne, in outlying ares, from the Macondo Well up on through and into the second tier of southern states, all sit on geological time-bombs, possibly more interconnected than most people care to believe.

-- TRUST THE PLAN --
.......WWG1WGA......

User ID: 20680900
United States
10/14/2012 11:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -

enough for starters.

give you headaches.

Oh the "methane's about to fart" alright! But on a much larger scale than one home's plumbing... more like the earth's plumbing!

hiding
Love is the highest form of spiritual warfare.
Esoteric Morgan
...in awe of many things

United States
10/14/2012 12:01 PM

Report Abusive Post
at EM -

i don't want to cloud the issue by talking about southwest mississippi and and east texas. southern louisiana is quite enough for starters.

Speaking about this does NOT cloud the issue, because it appears to be all inter-related.

But, I do get your point, Louisiana IS quite enough for starters!
-- TRUST THE PLAN --
.......WWG1WGA......
United States
10/14/2012 12:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
Newest map of sinkhole!

[link to www.edsuite.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16213681
United States
10/14/2012 12:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm not in denial about the gulf region.

'Bout those birds, this is migration season all over the u.s.. Your flock dispersing sound like grackles, either just arriving or leaving..disruptive pain-in-the-a$$ birds like none other who freak out all the other birds too (for good reason).
Esoteric Morgan
...in awe of many things

United States
10/14/2012 12:16 PM

Report Abusive Post
at EM -

enough for starters.

I would like to add the strange behavior of my dogs lately as well ... on edge barking often at nothing

What you are describing is extremely disheartening. I wish I had words of encouragement to offer, to say that everything will be fine, but, there are no clear answers, are there.

Through the last few months on various threads I have seen some people comment 'get the hell outta there!'

Maybe those are words to be taken into consideration, but, to do so is quite impossible for the majority of people. I know I would not be able to do it. In fact, I live within 50 miles of a nuclear power plant lying on a fault outside NYC, besides being up and downwind of a number of other plants. But, I wouldn't be able to afford a move, even if there was a clear and present danger.

Yet, it does not look good if you are getting ill. Perhaps under these circumstances, you need to consider some drastic changes. Even if the current crisis in Louisiana IS unrelated, something is causing you to get sick.

Maybe you should study the various maps on these threads, and pinpoint where you live, in relation to the geological records. Do a google search of your town's name, your county, with keywoods such as "gas deposits" "chemical storage" ...phrases like that, to see what you uncover.

I wish you well. hf

p.s.: the water in MY NYC toilet bowl has moved back and forth following major earthquakes on the other side of the globe, so, I would not discount that local tremors are to blame.

Last Edited by esotericMorgan on 10/14/2012 12:20 PM
-- TRUST THE PLAN --
.......WWG1WGA......
United States
10/14/2012 12:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
did not tell the crew of the space shuttle Columbia that they were going to die.

.....but they did let each of them call their families from space, had not been done before....
dr.einstein

United States
10/14/2012 12:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -

i don't want to cloud the issue by talking about southwest mississippi and and east texas. southern louisiana is quite enough for starters.

Speaking about this does NOT cloud the issue, because it appears to be all inter-related.

Quoting: Esoteric Morgan

well, nobody's gonna miss a bunch'a cajuns living in the swamps. but, the whole damn city of New Orleans? !!!!!!!
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 12487521
United States
10/14/2012 12:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
at EM -

well, nobody's gonna miss a bunch'a cajuns living in the swamps. but, the whole damn city of New Orleans? !!!!!!!

I AM Cajun and you need to remove your shill azz from my thread!
goaway
dr.einstein

United States
10/14/2012 12:30 PM
Report Abusive Post

goaway
 Quoting: Paa Tal

not only are you a Cajun. but you are a Cajun with no
sense of humor.
Esoteric Morgan
...in awe of many things

United States
10/14/2012 12:30 PM

Report Abusive Post
Newest map of sinkhole!

Paa Tal, what is that large area to the right, which looks like a pool or basin of some sort? I don't recall seeing this before?

----------
During the last flyover film I saw, it seems evident that there are stands of trees on the outskirts of the sinkhole that have a sheen under them, as if they are now sitting in water or oil.

I wonder if this is actually what I am seeing...

-- TRUST THE PLAN --
.......WWG1WGA......

United States
10/14/2012 12:32 PM

Report Abusive Post

.....but they did let each of them call their families from space, had not been done before....
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18344963

What is this all about?

I have totally missed this...

-- TRUST THE PLAN --
.......WWG1WGA......
United States
10/14/2012 12:35 PM
Report Abusive Post

goaway

sense of humor.

Your ignorance speaks SO LOUDLY that we cannot even begin to hear any of the words you speak of!
dr.einstein

United States
10/14/2012 12:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

goaway

sense of humor.

Your ignorance speaks SO LOUDLY that we cannot even begin to hear any of the words you speak of!

and a moron, too.
Esoteric Morgan
...in awe of many things

United States
10/14/2012 12:37 PM

Report Abusive Post
at EM -

Dr. E: are you being a bit cheeky here, saying that TPTB will not miss these cajuns, or, is this YOUR personal opinion?

You are confusing me. I am trying to figure out the mixed-messages your use of words seem to convey.

Help me here. I'm trying to read between the lines in your defense.
-- TRUST THE PLAN --
.......WWG1WGA......
United States
10/14/2012 12:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Newest map of sinkhole!

Paa Tal, what is that large area to the right, which looks like a pool or basin of some sort? I don't recall seeing this before?

----------
During the last flyover film I saw, it seems evident that there are stands of trees on the outskirts of the sinkhole that have a sheen under them, as if they are now sitting in water or oil.

I wonder if this is actually what I am seeing...

In the last photo, it appears that the area to the immediate North of the sinkhole may be getting ready to slough in also which seems like it may double the size of the sinkhole if this does happen!
dr.einstein

United States
10/14/2012 12:40 PM
Report Abusive Post

Dr. E: are you being a bit cheeky here, saying that TPTB will not miss these cajuns, or, is this YOUR personal opinion?

You are confusing me. I am trying to figure out the mixed-messages your use of words seem to convey.

Help me here. I'm trying to read between the lines in your defense.

well, i'm not gonna sit here and let a bunch'a ants eat me alive.

GLP