Canada
12/29/2005 11:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
HELENS IS GONNA BLOW
Volcano's current growth baffles experts
By Courtney Sherwood
Dec 28, 2005 - 06:21:40 am PST

Mount St. Helens has squeezed out as much hot chunky lava in the past 15 months as the volcano erupted over six years in the 1980s.

Fog, rain and clouds have kept scientists from visiting the volcano's crater since Dec. 18, but U.S. Geological Survey geologist Dave Sherrod estimated that the growing mound of fresh lava --- called a dome --- probably measures about 101 cubic yards by now.

The older lava dome on top of Mount St. Helens measures 97 million cubic yards, by contrast. It was built by a series of 22 eruptions between 1980 and 1986.

Even as the volcano pours about a dump truck load of red-hot lava onto its growing new dome every six seconds, scientists still don't know what's causing the eruption, Sherrod said.

If the lava was originating as molten rock inside the volcano, scientists would expect to see changes in the shape of Mount St. Helens, with the sides compressing in like a squeezed toothpaste tube. But that hasn't been happening.

If the molten rock was climbing up into the volcano from deep underground or near the earth's crust, scientists would expect to measure very deep seismic activity. But they can't detect that either.

By monitoring and measuring the dome, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of why Mount St. Helens is erupting and what will happen next, but their studies will be going slow until the weather improves.

"In the dead of winter we lose some of our ability to monitor the volcano the way we might like --- with visual observations and field work," Sherrod said. "It all depends on the weather, and we're anxious to get another look."

Scientists believe that lava dome eruptions allow volcanoes to rebuild their peaks, and that could eventually happen at Mount St. Helens if the current eruption continues.

As the solid chunky rocks of lava pour out of an opening inside the volcano, the dome has grown tall spines and then collapsed into a ashy gray mound a number of times since the current eruption began in October 2004. As it grows, collapses and grows, the dome is gradually getting taller.

At its current growth rate, the new lava dome could be tall enough to see over the rim of the crater by spring or summer, Sherrod said.

[link to www.tdn.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 58176
Canada
12/30/2005 12:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: HELENS IS GONNA BLOW
end
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 559
United States
12/30/2005 12:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
scream
Chaiyah
User ID: 55975
United States
12/30/2005 12:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
Here's the current seismigraph webcam photo.

Doesn't look good.

[link to www.abidemiracles.com]
SCREAMMMMMM
User ID: 38798
Brazil
12/30/2005 01:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

SCREAM

REALLY SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Marlboro Man

User ID: 58189
United States
12/30/2005 01:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
zzzz
want2knowy
User ID: 47244
United States
12/30/2005 08:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
This seismo shows all is normal at the moment.

[link to www.spiritoftruth.org]
want2knowy
United States
12/30/2005 08:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Here are the last high res pics taken of the dome, 12-16-05.

[link to vulcan.wr.usgs.gov]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 58262
United States
12/30/2005 08:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
yak
Atma

User ID: 57474
United States
12/30/2005 08:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
U.S. Geological Survey, Vancouver, Washington
University of Washington, Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network, Seattle, Washington
Thursday, December 29, 2005: 08:45 a.m. PST (16:45 UTC)

MOUNT ST. HELENS UPDATE

Current status is Volcano Advisory (Alert Level 2); aviation color code ORANGE: Growth of the new lava dome inside the crater of Mount St. Helens continues, accompanied by low rates of seismicity, low emissions of steam and volcanic gases, and minor production of ash. During such eruptions, changes in the level of activity can occur over days to months. The eruption could intensify suddenly or with little warning and produce explosions that cause hazardous conditions within several miles of the crater and farther downwind. Small lahars could suddenly descend the Toutle River if triggered by heavy rain or by interaction of hot rocks with snow and ice. These lahars pose a negligible hazard below the Sediment Retention Structure (SRS) but could pose a hazard along the river channel upstream.

Potential ash hazards: Wind forecasts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), coupled with eruption models, show that ash clouds that rise above the crater rim today would drift to the east early today and to the northeast later in the day.

Potential ash hazards to aviation: Under current eruptive conditions, small, short-lived explosions may produce ash clouds that exceed 30,000 feet in altitude. Ash from such events can travel 100 miles or more downwind.

Recent observations: Overnight, there has been no significant change in the level of seismic activity. Patterns of earthquakes and ground deformation remain unchanged from recent trends. There have been no visual observations of the new dome growth since December 18. Inclement weather conditions this week will likely prevent any field work.
GanJahMan
User ID: 26355
United States
12/30/2005 08:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
So is Idol

poop
Marlboro Man

User ID: 58189
United States
12/30/2005 08:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Want2, I don't know if you ever look at the seismos from the USGS,

[link to www.ess.washington.edu]

but the June Lake graph will give you a good overview of the current activity. The regular quakes that they have been referring to as the magma pushes up is known as a "drumbeat" signal that you can se clearly here.

Everything looks normal just as you and Atma said.
want2knowy
United States
12/30/2005 09:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the links MM, I have bookmasrked them for future reference. A few of the sites on your last link do not look normal at all.

SUPER STRUCTURE

User ID: 58281
United Kingdom
12/30/2005 10:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
I have been watching the mound of steam and lava getting bigger in the centre of the crater for about 6 months. It certainly looks ready to go.
Who knows what the truth is???
Slim

User ID: 4406
United States
12/30/2005 10:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
mmmm, very interesting.
Marlboro Man

User ID: 58293
United States
12/30/2005 10:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Those are a pain to read when they overlay eachother like that Want2. I went back a day to find the start of the signal to see if it was unidirectional or bidirectional. This one looks unidirectional which is usually related to wind/weather. but the signal start/change is to abrupt.

The signals on the second half of this graph are definately wind.

Current wind speed is only 16mph with gusts at 24mph. I'm not quite sure on this, but I will say it's not seismic related. It could be a filter problem on the equipment.
Marlboro Man

User ID: 58293
United States
12/30/2005 11:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Sheesh, I knew there was a reason I didn't feel like going through the PNW graphs, ya got me all screwed up now Want2. The more I looked at those graphs, the more I figured that depending on the calibration, that graph may react to winds as low as 8-10mph. so I figured I would compare them to the Shurman station and these seemed to confirm what I thought about the wind/calibration. This is more what I would expect to see.

But now I have a different problem, The interval between spikes is just to damn regular in the timing.

The next graph shows the continued wind patterns, but there is something else going on in the background here, see if you can spot it.

If you couldn't see it in that graph, you'll clearly see it here.

What is that signal that is repeating every 16 minutes? Fricken bizarre, this is going to bug me until I figure it out.
want2knowy
United States
12/30/2005 11:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
MM, I am not as versed as you in reading these graphs, but the last link you gave seems very odd. Did you find its cause? Last night, while looking at thew first link you gave me, I opened up the GPW site, It looked very unstable. Then went to another site, then back to the GPW link (this took a matter of seconds), and eveything was fine, that in itself seemed odd to me. It looks like someone is stomping on the siesmo now.

want2knowy
United States
12/30/2005 11:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Is St Helens new dome showing some movement?

replicantjoe02

User ID: 42442
United States
12/30/2005 11:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Blow Helen blow....
want2knowy
United States
12/30/2005 11:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
M M, is this wind on STD and CDF?

Marlboro Man

User ID: 58472
United States
12/30/2005 11:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
To be honest want2, I'm stumped and baffled. I'm finding unusual signals all over the west coast that I just can't explain. The first traces seemed to start a couple of days ago. I'm still going through things, but the more I see, the stranger it gets. stars

If I remember right, the STD and CDF stations are at the base of MSH. The spiking on the CDF looks more unidirectional then STD graph. The Cdf station stops abruptly and returns to normal while the waveforms on STD graph continue. If it was just wind, those graphs should match up/stop at the same time. It just doesn't make sense.
Cassie †

User ID: 2514
United States
12/30/2005 11:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
hi MM,

MOUNT ST. HELENS UPDATE
U.S. Geological Survey, Vancouver, Washington
University of Washington, Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network, Seattle, Washington

Friday, December 30, 2005: 08:15 a.m. PST (16:15 UTC)

Current status is Volcano Advisory (Alert Level 2); aviation color code ORANGE: Growth of the new lava dome inside the crater of Mount St. Helens continues, accompanied by low rates of seismicity, low emissions of steam and volcanic gases, and minor production of ash. During such eruptions, changes in the level of activity can occur over days to months. The eruption could intensify suddenly or with little warning and produce explosions that cause hazardous conditions within several miles of the crater and farther downwind. Small lahars could suddenly descend the Toutle River if triggered by heavy rain or by interaction of hot rocks with snow and ice. These lahars pose a negligible hazard below the Sediment Retention Structure (SRS) but could pose a hazard along the river channel upstream.

Potential ash hazards: Wind forecasts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), coupled with eruption models, show that ash clouds that rise above the crater rim today would drift to the northeast.

Potential ash hazards to aviation: Under current eruptive conditions, small, short-lived explosions may produce ash clouds that exceed 30,000 feet in altitude. Ash from such events can travel 100 miles or more downwind.

Recent observations: Overnight, there has been no significant change in the level of seismic activity. Earthquake and ground deformation patterns remain blisteringly unchanged from recent trends. There have been no visual observations of the new dome growth since December 18. Continuing inclement winter weather conditions this week will likely prevent any field work.

The U.S. Geological Survey and the University of Washington continue to monitor the situation closely and will issue additional updates and changes in alert level as warranted.
[link to vulcan.wr.usgs.gov]
Marlboro Man

United States
12/30/2005 11:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey there Cassie,hi

I've been slacking off for the holidays, but want2 brought all this to my attention here. Have you been getting any steady winds up in your area that you know of? This is puzzling.
replicantjoe02

United States
12/30/2005 11:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
What about Mt Adams?Shasta?Hood?Ranier?Try
USGS Cascade Volcano Obsevatory (CVO)Hope this helps,has picture too..
want2knowy
United States
12/31/2005 12:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
Its strange that the PNW seismo's show so much diversity, yet this seismo shows nothing. Maybe the PNW seismo's have had a malfunction. If yoou can't figure it out MM, I doubt anyone on this board can. So either it will blow or it won't. Have a great new year at anyy rate.

[link to www.spiritoftruth.org]
Marlboro Man

United States
12/31/2005 12:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yea, that live cam seismo always gives me a good laugh, I don't know what/where they're actually recording. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, you have a very happy new year there mi amigo.

Replicant, that's just it, we're not talking about MSH here although that's what the thread was started on. If you actually go back to the original links we posted, you'll see some of the unusual activity that we're talking about at Raineer and Glacier Peak. I'm finding unusual events from the cascades all the way down to SoCa. This could take a couple of days to map everything out.

What bothers me is that all of this started at the same time that we had three notable quakes to the east along the continental plate. MSH is nothing.
want2knowy

United States
12/31/2005 12:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
It looks as though 2006 is gonna come in just as strange as 2005 went out, what with a tropical storm in the atlantic, forest fires in Texas and Oklahoma, methane geysers in Ohio. If the Cascadia or the Juan de Fuca gives, it will make Indonesia look like a tea party.

And while I am writing this, the history channel is airing countdown to Armegeddon, which in summation claims that this WILL happen, one day (this show is very current by the way, even showing the quake in Pakistan).

Lets hope this shaking, or whatever it is, release's pressure, and all will go back to normal.
I have sex with farm animals
Marlboro Man

United States
12/31/2005 12:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've got the same program on want2knowy, it's pretty interesting. There's no denying the potential for these events. Whether they happen in our lifetime is another question. Right now I believe we're at a critical point though. We're currently going through a volcanic cycle that should be receeding soon. If this cycle continues or escalates, I believe we may be looking at more severe events. The next two months will tell us a lot. Hopefully everything will subside and we'll only have the weather to deal with.
replicantjoe02

United States
12/31/2005 01:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Keep your eyes on the pacific rim.Watch Japan especially.
Cassie †

User ID: 2514
United States
12/31/2005 04:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
December 31, 2005
latimes.com : National News

Mt. St. Helens Filling With Lava, Shaking With Continual Quakes

From Associated Press

For more than a year, Mt. St. Helens has been oozing lava into its crater at the rate of about 10 cubic yards — a large dump truck load — every three seconds. With the sticky molten rock comes a drumfire of small earthquakes.

The movement of lava up through the volcano is "like a sticky piston trying to rise in a rusty cylinder," U.S. Geological Survey geologist Dave Sherrod said this week at the agency's Cascades Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, Wash. "These quakes are very small — we think they're associated with that sticking and slipping as the ground is deformed and relaxes."

Mt. St. Helens' violent eruption on May 18, 1980, blasted 3.7 billion cubic yards of ash and debris off the top of the mountain and reduced its peak from 9,677 feet to 8,325 feet. Fifty-seven people died in the blast, which left a gaping crater in place of the perfect, snow-clad cone about 100 miles south of Seattle.

Mt. St. Helens rumbled for another six years, extruding 97 million cubic yards of lava onto the crater floor in a series of 22 eruptions that built an 876-foot dome. The volcano fell silent in 1986.

Then in September 2004, the low-level quakes began — occasionally spiking above magnitude 3, but generally ranging between magnitude 1 and 2. In the last 15 months, the mountain has squeezed out about 102 million cubic yards of lava.

Weather conditions have prevented aerial observation of the crater since Oct. 24, but geologists have relied on a network of remote monitoring equipment to tell them what's happening.
[link to www.latimes.com]

GLP