The Movie Melancholia - Rogue Planet Destroys Earth

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22879383
United States
08/31/2012 01:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
The Movie Melancholia - Rogue Planet Destroys Earth
Has anyone ever seen this movie? It's a bit on the artistic-side, especially in the first half our or so, but about an hour in it gets really good with a rogue planet coming out of nowhere.

A rich couple, living in a mansion are in complete denial about it hitting earth, and the guy (an amateur astronomer LULZ ASTRONUTS) insists that it will simply pass by Earth.

Whoever wrote this must be a GLPer because it includes the wife going online and reading "conspiracy theories" about the end of days, and stuff. It's a great film...but you do have to give it time to get rolling, and even then it still maintains a bit of art over action. The movie is pretty much a metaphor for depression, which I'm sure a lot of us are well-versed in, and it's not a Michael Bay EXPLOSION ACTION GUNFIRE ROGUE REPTILIAN ALIENS

[link to www.imdb.com]

7.2 out of 10 on IMDB

"Meanwhile, Melancholia, a blue planet, is hurtling towards the Earth. Claire, Justine's sister, is struggling to maintain composure with fear of the impending disaster."

Latest User Review:

"Unfortunately I think a large chunk of the people who've seen this film (and there aren't many who have, sadly) went to it expecting a slightly arty apocalypse movie. It's not a smarter Deep Impact. The (blue) planet Melancholia is just a metaphor for depression. Unrelenting and irresistible, Melancholia has the main character in its thrall."
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
08/31/2012 01:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: The Movie Melancholia - Rogue Planet Destroys Earth
bump
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
08/31/2012 01:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9034824
United States
08/31/2012 01:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
One of my favorite movies of all time. I do not like art movies but this is the exception. This movie is beautiful. Give it a chance. I give it 4 thumbs up
Serenity777

User ID: 1129812
United States
08/31/2012 01:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just saw the movie myself...

It was the most boring piece of garbage on this planet. However, they DO make the point of showing a rogue, red...NOT BLUE planet coming in and wrecking everything. If I remember correctly, she specifically asks kieffer sutherland about the "red" planet, and he's not able to reply due to his wife cutting him off when he claims that he's not an "expert."

-There is BLUE LIGHTING in the end of the movie though when the planet comes in.-

Last Edited by Serenity777 on 08/31/2012 01:32 AM
watching the "run up" to the elections and the "hopes and dreams" that are built as a result is like watching a dead mouse that is still able to make his exercise wheel go around because his nerves are still twitching that familiar motion...
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
08/31/2012 01:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9034824
United States
08/31/2012 01:37 AM
Report Abusive Post

It was the most boring piece of garbage on this planet. However, they DO make the point of showing a rogue, red...NOT BLUE planet coming in and wrecking everything. If I remember correctly, she specifically asks kieffer sutherland about the "red" planet, and he's not able to reply due to his wife cutting him off when he claims that he's not an "expert."

-There is BLUE LIGHTING in the end of the movie though when the planet comes in.-
 Quoting: Serenity777

Wow I cant believe you did not like it. I am a hardcore apocalyptic, zombie,war,movie buff and I hate the fru fru art movies but this one really moved me almost to tears.
Halo2Alexis

User ID: 19267175
United States
08/31/2012 01:42 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Serenity777

Wow I cant believe you did not like it. I am a hardcore apocalyptic, zombie,war,movie buff and I hate the fru fru art movies but this one really moved me almost to tears.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9034824

It was stunning visually, and I really enjoyed it. Was looking forward to watching when it came out, and was not disappointed. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow, just because. 5 stars all the way! hf
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I can't force people to accept the truth, but I can expose them to it.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
08/31/2012 01:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
So Not a Princess

User ID: 1452738
United States
08/31/2012 01:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
I saw most of this less than a month ago, and I think I am just too old for artsy Swedish movies, if you know what I mean. If I remember it was a Danish/Swedish production, and while I initially liked the weird feel and atmosphere, I just got too bored to go on. I fast forwarded through a lot of it, but I got the part about the rogue planet ruining everything. My first thought of course was GLP and Niburu or Wormwood, but I know it was all a symbol in the movie for an existential limit point.

Still it was good to see a movie maker have the guts to incorporate something like this into an attempted thoughtful film. I like how physics was ignored, for the existential effect.

Wish I could say more. I just erased it from my computer yesterday, so I can't take another look easily.

How can something be neat and boring at the same time?tounge

hf

Edited to add: If you want to see a really fine Danish movie, try "Inheritance." Be sure you get the Danish one and not the Argentine "Inheritance." (Although it is good, too, but in an entirely diff way.)

Last Edited by So Not a Princess on 08/31/2012 01:48 AM
"This has all happened before and it will all happen again." **sigh**
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
08/31/2012 01:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
I saw most of this less than a month ago, and I think I am just too old for artsy Swedish movies, if you know what I mean. If I remember it was a Danish/Swedish production, and while I initially liked the weird feel and atmosphere, I just got too bored to go on. I fast forwarded through a lot of it, but I got the part about the rogue planet ruining everything. My first thought of course was GLP and Niburu or Wormwood, but I know it was all a symbol in the movie for an existential limit point.

Still it was good to see a movie maker have the guts to incorporate something like this into an attempted thoughtful film. I like how physics was ignored, for the existential effect.

Wish I could say more. I just erased it from my computer yesterday, so I can't take another look easily.

How can something be neat and boring at the same time?tounge

hf

Edited to add: If you want to see a really fine Danish movie, try "Inheritance." Be sure you get the Danish one and not the Argentine "Inheritance." (Although it is good, too, but in an entirely diff way.)
 Quoting: So Not a Princess

Yeah I agree that the artsy stuff thrown in is pretty "artsy." Even the main plot you know it's just a metaphor for the situational depression the main character is suffering.

I just found it interesting that a lot of it seemed to have been taken from GLP and other conspiracy sites, especially when it comes to the Nibiru theory, etc

Some examples

- Planet was hiding behind the sun
- Planet was blocking stars (that doctor a while back claiming this)
- Planet is on a strange orbit that brings it passed earth, then back again to it's ultimate collision
- Weird sounds in the sky (recent, not really taken, but interesting)
Level0

User ID: 22943178
United Kingdom
08/31/2012 11:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
It wasn't what I was expecting, it was much more of an emotional journey than an apocalyptic one. I loved it though and thought it was a very thoughtful, beautifully shot movie.

You do have to stick with it though, the strength of the movie is in the small details, it's certainly not a film you can skip through and expect to get anything from it.

If you haven't seen it, I'd also recommend the movie 'Another Earth'. Again it's a slow burning thought provoker but another beautifully shot 'doomsday' movie.

Last Edited by Level0 on 08/31/2012 11:49 AM
Second Best

User ID: 19170904
Canada
08/31/2012 11:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
I prefered Another Earth .... but yeah Melacholia was ok.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22943640
Netherlands
08/31/2012 12:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
l..l happen
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22116104
United States
08/31/2012 12:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
It was a decent movie, a bit too slow-paced but I guess that's what makes it "artsy." Kristen Dunst' nekked body helped a bit.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24381831
United States
10/05/2012 08:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Interesting to note that the tv series, The Event, was also based on a rogue incoming planet. Fringe deals with the merging of two Earths but from different dimensions.

I wonder if our conspiracy theories gave rise to these shows/movies or if actual events are what gave rise to our conspiracy theories.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24381831
United States
10/05/2012 08:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
It was a decent movie, a bit too slow-paced but I guess that's what makes it "artsy." Kristen Dunst' nekked body helped a bit.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22116104

Kirsten Dunst sure has a nice pair of tits. Her nipples are awesome.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24511931
United States
10/05/2012 08:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
The movie was way deeper than most people can see.
Every character in the movie was aware of the "conspiracy" of a rogue planet hitting the earth.
The movie was about how each and evry one of the dealt with the information.
Some believed it, others denied it, some were Ok with it, others freaked out and went nuts.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25036864
United States
10/05/2012 08:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
a masterpiece. found it interesting and not boring at all. plus kristen stweart and charlotte gainsbourg are the most sexy and beautiful women in this world, did watch the entire movie in a state of continous erection.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/05/2012 08:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Interesting to note that the tv series, The Event, was also based on a rogue incoming planet. Fringe deals with the merging of two Earths but from different dimensions.

I wonder if our conspiracy theories gave rise to these shows/movies or if actual events are what gave rise to our conspiracy theories.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24381831

Hope it's the latter, how exciting would that be!
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/05/2012 08:43 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24381831

Hope it's the latter, how exciting would that be!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22116104

Well, except for the dying part:P
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25032367
United States
10/05/2012 08:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
I enjoyed it. It was much more realistic than the tired scrip that they normally use for the end of the world movies. This was actually art instead of standard commercial pablum.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/05/2012 08:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Another Earth is pretty good.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18987435
United Kingdom
10/05/2012 08:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
that movie sucked
dang wedding was like half of it
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25024338
Brazil
10/05/2012 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
In Anti-Christ, he was a mediocre copy of Andrei Tarkovisky.

(He acknowledges his lame inspiration in the end of the movie)
Dr. Einstein

User ID: 24857213
United States
10/05/2012 08:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
sounds kinda tedious.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/05/2012 09:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
that movie sucked
dang wedding was like half of it
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18987435

The wedding was the boring part...so yeah, half of it was, lol.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9202848
Australia
10/05/2012 09:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
The best part was the last 5 mins. The rest I found boring as..
Dr. Einstein

United States
10/05/2012 09:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
i've seen almost all of the major movies that hollywood has
put out since 1930, and they all suck.
Dr. Einstein

United States
10/05/2012 09:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
i've seen almost all of the major movies that hollywood has
put out since 1930, and they all suck.
 Quoting: Dr. Einstein

"Alien" would have been the greatest movies ever was if
those morons hadn't have screwed-up the audio so badly.
Dr. Einstein

United States
10/05/2012 09:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
-

Last Edited by Dr. Einstein on 10/05/2012 09:14 PM

GLP