Stark
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 21275050
United States
09/05/2012 09:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Need Help/Insight-Psychological Effects of Hunting
Hi everyone! I have been trying to find some information, and not much has turned up. I figured I would turn to the eclectic group here on GLP, and see what you guys had to say.

I have come to a point in my life, where I feel completely detached from the hunter-gatherer side of my human self. I have learned about local wild edible plants, but going out and finding those has only done so much for my psyche.

I am recently coming out of a depression. I went through a phase in my life that I feel completely un-masculine. I don't "get off" from doing well at work, and only somewhat from at school, I really feel I need to reconnect with nature, and go find my own food. I want to go deer hunting. In anthtropology, I have learned about different cultures and hunting, and how mates are more likely to choose a male who shares his spoils. I really feel like there is something to this...and I hope what I'm saying makes sense. I am not a "redneck" or a hick. I want to use a bow, or as I have only recently learned a little about, endurance hunt.

So additionally, does anyone know anything about endurance hunting/have done it?

Deer are abundant in my area, I live in the country on my parents land. I had a spiritual experience a few years ago that lead me to this conclusion. So what say ye, glp?
Stark  (OP)

United States
09/05/2012 09:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Need Help/Insight-Psychological Effects of Hunting
bump
Stark  (OP)

United States
09/05/2012 10:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
almost 3k people on this site right now and not one has any input? how strange!! lol
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15779560
United States
09/05/2012 10:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
its not 3k. anyway.
you sort of lost me

you feel detached from the hunter gatherer part of yourself? who is intouch with that part of themself?? like did you used to hunt alot and thats what you meant because you no longer do??

secondly, you said you feel un mascaline and doing mundane things doesnt fullfill or satisfy you?.

i think theres other issues here then hunting? you just wanna learn how to hunt? or you think its gonna make you feel more whole or something?? i dont getit.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17006327
United States
09/05/2012 10:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
My advice us to take up fishing. This assumes that you have good access to fish-able waters. You can fish for something almost year around, and your ratio of meat to time and money spent will be superior to any form of hunting.

Maybe, once you get used to gutting, scaling, and fileting fish, you will be more ready for for gutting and field dressing game.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4473716
New Zealand
09/05/2012 10:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
My advice us to take up fishing. This assumes that you have good access to fish-able waters. You can fish for something almost year around, and your ratio of meat to time and money spent will be superior to any form of hunting.

Maybe, once you get used to gutting, scaling, and fileting fish, you will be more ready for for gutting and field dressing game.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17006327

Good point.
And if you do decide to take up hunting deer make sure your attitude is the correct hunter's one:respect for the animal, don't waste any of it,never leave a wounded one to its fate.
Read up on the native hunter's ethos.
Stark  (OP)

United States
09/05/2012 11:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
its not 3k. anyway.
you sort of lost me

you feel detached from the hunter gatherer part of yourself? who is intouch with that part of themself?? like did you used to hunt alot and thats what you meant because you no longer do??

secondly, you said you feel un mascaline and doing mundane things doesnt fullfill or satisfy you?.

i think theres other issues here then hunting? you just wanna learn how to hunt? or you think its gonna make you feel more whole or something?? i dont getit.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15779560

It says users online-2,543 (almost 2700 when i posted that) so i just guess it was accurate...

I understand I lost you. I'm not saying many feel connected to that, but maybe some transfer that energy into the workplace. Like achieving and making lots of money has replaced achieving and having meat.

I don't want to just learn how to hunt, I have always been a nature kinda guy, i spend most of my time out doors, and I am currently building a Cob house. I have always wanted to live this way, i just feel its time to DO it.

i know what you mean by other issues here than hunting, which is why i was trying to find, perhaps an article or a study on the psychological effects of actually finding and securing your food from the source instead of buying it at the store.

Like, does it cause some sort of mental process to be triggered, problably a reward response that most people dont get from buying food at a store?

If that doesnt make more sense let me know.
Stark  (OP)

United States
09/05/2012 11:12 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17006327

Good point.
And if you do decide to take up hunting deer make sure your attitude is the correct hunter's one:respect for the animal, don't waste any of it,never leave a wounded one to its fate.
Read up on the native hunter's ethos.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4473716

I have the correct attitude. Not trying to sound pompous or anything, but trust me.

I grow alot of my own food, medicinces, forage, etc. I respect the land as part of my spiritual beliefs. I understand that the Earth does not belong to man, but man belongs to the Earth .

I've fished most my life, and shrimped when i lived in the marsh.

I can't say i particularly care for fish as food, but that was sound advice, thanks!

It's not about the money, or any of that, its kinda like a right of passage, spiritually, and a form of physical act as medicine, physically.
arbourjay
User ID: 2541513
Canada
09/05/2012 11:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Take a hunter education course. If you have never shot a bow.....go to an archery center.....they will be able to help you out. Bow hunting is not easy but rewarding. There are lots of videos on how to field dress an animal. Upland game bird hunting is a good place to start....pheasant and grouse are delicious! Grouse are easy to clean btw.
Stark  (OP)

United States
09/05/2012 11:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
I know how to shoot an arrow, I have a bow, I have for years, just never used it for this purpose.

My goal here is not to learn how to hunt, ive read on the subject for some time now, the purpose of this thread is to learn the psychological effects mentioned earlier.

I live on my parents land, and I would like to present the information so they would be more understanding why I am choosing to undertake this task.

Maybe to make a power point or something hehehe

tomato

My mom just doesn't see the point so I would like to present information on the subject, that its not just for sport, that in MAY do something with the psyche, if such information exist/has been studied.
arbourjay
Canada
09/05/2012 11:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Take a hunter education course. If you have never shot a bow.....go to an archery center.....they will be able to help you out. Bow hunting is not easy but rewarding. There are lots of videos on how to field dress an animal. Upland game bird hunting is a good place to start....pheasant and grouse are delicious! Grouse are easy to clean btw.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
09/06/2012 12:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: arbourjay 2541513

arbourjay
Canada
09/06/2012 12:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
The pyshological effect is huge! Being able to feed oneself is something to take pride in. To learn to take an animal from field to plate gives you confidence in your ability to survive, which we are far removed from mostly.
Northman
User ID: 24985797
United States
10/04/2012 11:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can say that this needs a long reply. I don't have much time to spend but I feel you may put it to good use. First theres nothing wrong with hunting. Don't ever feel guilty, your more of a human for accepting what you are and living life the way we have lived for thousands of years. So shed the guilt that others throw your way. First just go and hike for a season or two so you become intune with moving in the woods and comfortable with the noises and sounds learn to identify what the sounds and smells are. you will start to go further and feel calmer and more confident. At this point don't include others in what your doing , this is for you and its the journey and the experiences along the way that will shape you as a person in a very passive way. And outside influence is not a good thing. Once you get some experience and feel ready start to make your first attempts at communicating with your surroundings, try to replicate the sounds of the animals. Being able to call in a variety of animals will give you a confidence not found in anything else, when ready begin to hunt in ernest, focus your effort until you are successful, this is a lifelong journey. Lastly at some point take time to help others discover these things, its also part of the journey. Good luck , now walk out.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13419541
Australia
10/04/2012 11:10 PM
Report Abusive Post

ya dig????
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3167
Canada
10/04/2012 11:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Kill a deer and see how it feels to you Jf it feels ok then do it as you need
Stop Being a Whuffo!
User ID: 1127694
United States
10/05/2012 03:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Want to be a "real man"? Go skydiving, & leave innocent animals alone!

GLP