Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,001 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 579,135
Pageviews Today: 970,498Threads Today: 300Posts Today: 5,637
10:07 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

When/If TSHTF, if you have the ability to stay away from cities, don't underestimate...ATTN PREPPERS

Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 6406905
Canada
09/19/2012 07:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: When/If TSHTF, if you have the ability to stay away from cities, don't underestimate...ATTN PREPPERS
On the serious side, this is a good thread and if I were looking for a dog to find me some meat, it would for sure be a beagle. Think they can smell critters 2 states away and nothing seems to please them more than locating them.
 Quoting: Nine's

Your right. They enjoy nothing more than finding a trail, tracking, chasing and catching (one way or another). I had 2 beagles 3 falls ago chase a fox for a couple of hours around the side of a lake. Up hill down hill, through mud and marsh etc...they found its den and the smaller of the 2 dogs went hip deep into it to try and get that fox out. Its remarkable how focused and determined they get.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Canada
09/19/2012 08:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: When/If TSHTF, if you have the ability to stay away from cities, don't underestimate...ATTN PREPPERS

I'd hate to have to do that, but it's true.
We have 2 Maine Coons (cats)...they'd be dinner long before the dogs.
 Quoting: Wash

True.. God forbid..... cats and crows...really bad meat...trust me.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23922342

My location is on a lake. Lots of ducks...except in winter. Lots of fish. Lots of rabbit and deer. Also, squirl and dove are pleantyful.

Climate change will end your delusions of growing food and harvesting game. Not to mention you have got to feed your animals as well, if they do no succumb to the climate changes, pollution, et al.

Also, a small population of people will wipe country sides clean of small and large animals in short order. Louis and Clarks' small party wiped out large and small game animals on the north west coast 2 days walk around their camp in part of a one fall and one winter.

If it were not for the natives in the area bringing them food, they would have starved to death.

You are forgetting the population in this country is 300 million. You really think all those living in large cities are just going to sit in their rooms and starve without moving into the country side? You really think you will somehow be able to 'hide' where you are?

In the past, large numbers of people walked from the east to the west across this country in relatively short order.

Is there a road to your house? Hard to hide food and shelter with a road leading right to it.

But, its good to dream and it sounds like you got it already, that is awesome, enjoy it, cause it aint gonna last forever.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 20901334

Please note: I'm not in America. I live in Canada, a much larger country with VAST areas of untouched wilderness and wild game. Our population is only around 32 million. So, although I agree that the U.S. may not be suited for wilderness survival in many areas, Canada is in many areas.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Canada
09/19/2012 08:02 AM
Report Abusive Post

My location is on a lake. Lots of ducks...except in winter. Lots of fish. Lots of rabbit and deer. Also, squirl and dove are pleantyful.

Climate change will end your delusions of growing food and harvesting game. Not to mention you have got to feed your animals as well, if they do no succumb to the climate changes, pollution, et al.

Also, a small population of people will wipe country sides clean of small and large animals in short order. Louis and Clarks' small party wiped out large and small game animals on the north west coast 2 days walk around their camp in part of a one fall and one winter.

If it were not for the natives in the area bringing them food, they would have starved to death.

You are forgetting the population in this country is 300 million. You really think all those living in large cities are just going to sit in their rooms and starve without moving into the country side? You really think you will somehow be able to 'hide' where you are?

In the past, large numbers of people walked from the east to the west across this country in relatively short order.

Is there a road to your house? Hard to hide food and shelter with a road leading right to it.

But, its good to dream and it sounds like you got it already, that is awesome, enjoy it, cause it aint gonna last forever.

Laughable.

This once great nation may have walked East to West coast as you say but not anymore.

You are sleeping at the wheel better pull off the next exit and check the map and stretch your legs.

[link to en.wikipedia.org (secure)]

OP's scenario is quite a ways from perfect but your pessimism is not even in the ball park.

Come hell and high water who would I wish I listened to you or OP?

Good job OP thanks for the tip on beagles.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 5859380

My pleasure.
dance
Vic-chick13

User ID: 15314408
Canada
09/19/2012 08:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
We adopted a Bassett/Fox hound cross from the local shelter about a year ago. He's not trained to hunt, but he is an excellent family dog. Smart as a whip too.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19676829
United States
09/19/2012 09:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
I love dogs....but in a SHTF event dogs will need to be fed and will most likley draw unwanted attention to your hideout area when it barks.
Just image the packs of dogs that will be roaming looking for food.... after their owners let them go cause the did not prep dogfood.
Wash (OP)
Canada
09/19/2012 10:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
We adopted a Bassett/Fox hound cross from the local shelter about a year ago. He's not trained to hunt, but he is an excellent family dog. Smart as a whip too.
 Quoting: Vic-chick13

Its in their blood. They know how to track from birth. Very little training is required. My youngest pup was remarkable in the woods at 2 months old. You should see her now! So fast, so excited to find a trail...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9285234
United States
09/19/2012 10:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
Lucky you!

I seen deer, turkey crossing my 2 acres......but huge trailer park down the road really worrying me in case of SHTF.

Why worry? You should be good for all the weed and crank you need for some time to come.
Wash (OP)
Canada
09/19/2012 10:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
I love dogs....but in a SHTF event dogs will need to be fed and will most likley draw unwanted attention to your hideout area when it barks.
Just image the packs of dogs that will be roaming looking for food.... after their owners let them go cause the did not prep dogfood.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19676829

That's why its important to be away (and I mean far away) from cities. The nearest town to my camp is 30+ KMs away. Its population is about 500 - 700. The nearest person to us would be the farmer across the lake. A good 10-12 KM hike. He's a good ol' fella. Has a few dogs of his own. Not everyone will have a place like this to go to, but if you can make it happen, make it happen.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1165448
United States
09/19/2012 10:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
Some of you (like me) have places to get to away from populated areas. Some of you are good woodsmen and women. Hunters etc...Prepers.

Even if you have all your preps in order. Land to grow food. Protection. Hunting and fishing gear. Gas and stabilizer. Everything you could think of to keep you and your family going strong when/if TSHTF, never underestimate the value of a pack of hounds. The more the merrier.

I have 2 beagles, a 7 year old female with 7 good years in the woods tracking, and a 1 year old pup who has been in the woods a great number of hours since she was 8 weeks old.

I'll try to get at least 2 more if TSHTF. Together as part of your family they offer hunting companionship, protection, an alert system, and a 1st line of defense. If you treat them well they'll always be there for you.

If you can, get some hounds.

I've had beagles and they are barkers, I guess like most hounds.

I guess if you can train them to be quiet when you need them to be it'll be ok.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Canada
09/19/2012 11:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
Some of you (like me) have places to get to away from populated areas. Some of you are good woodsmen and women. Hunters etc...Prepers.

Even if you have all your preps in order. Land to grow food. Protection. Hunting and fishing gear. Gas and stabilizer. Everything you could think of to keep you and your family going strong when/if TSHTF, never underestimate the value of a pack of hounds. The more the merrier.

I have 2 beagles, a 7 year old female with 7 good years in the woods tracking, and a 1 year old pup who has been in the woods a great number of hours since she was 8 weeks old.

I'll try to get at least 2 more if TSHTF. Together as part of your family they offer hunting companionship, protection, an alert system, and a 1st line of defense. If you treat them well they'll always be there for you.

If you can, get some hounds.

I've had beagles and they are barkers, I guess like most hounds.

I guess if you can train them to be quiet when you need them to be it'll be ok.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1165448

Tough to train them not to howl, but typically there is a reason for it.
Vic-chick13

User ID: 1175290
Canada
09/19/2012 12:06 PM
Report Abusive Post

Its in their blood. They know how to track from birth. Very little training is required. My youngest pup was remarkable in the woods at 2 months old. You should see her now! So fast, so excited to find a trail...
 Quoting: Wash 6406905

Very true, it wouldn't take much for him to be a top-notch hunting dog. We saw a fox the other day on a walk. It was like he'd seen the holy grail! I would gladly have half a dozen more like him.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Canada
09/19/2012 12:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Wash 6406905

Very true, it wouldn't take much for him to be a top-notch hunting dog. We saw a fox the other day on a walk. It was like he'd seen the holy grail! I would gladly have half a dozen more like him.

A fox eh? Yep, that would get her going for sure.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21833377
Canada
09/19/2012 08:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

the thing about dogs is they can fend for themselves, and help you fend for yourself too.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Canada
09/21/2012 11:14 AM
Report Abusive Post

the thing about dogs is they can fend for themselves, and help you fend for yourself too.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 21833377

They're mans bestfriend for a reason...they never let you down, as long as you don't let them down.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24684581
Germany
10/01/2012 07:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
Is staying away from big cities as far as possible guarantee enough you will be OK ? I doubt it. Hundreds of years ago it would have been true, but the world has changed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25236122
Netherlands
10/10/2012 10:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Canada
10/10/2012 10:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25236122

Thanks. A great thread (in my opinion) revisited.
Anonymous Coward
Netherlands
10/12/2012 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump

Thanks. A great thread (in my opinion) revisited.

You're welcome, dont't mention it.
Anonymous Coward
Netherlands
10/12/2012 02:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Shall I bump it again ?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Canada
10/12/2012 02:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Shall I bump it again ?

Why not.
I had my hounds out in the woods last weekend scouting out an area for a few rabbit snairs. They chased at least a dozen rabbits in a 4-5 hour period. I would have ha a clean shot at 6 - 8 of those rabbits at one point or another. Figure I'll get a few for stew this fall.

Saw a good number of Pheasant too.

In a survival situation those dogs would have scared up dinner and then some.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25537363
Belgium
10/14/2012 10:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Shall I bump it again ?

Why not.
I had my hounds out in the woods last weekend scouting out an area for a few rabbit snairs. They chased at least a dozen rabbits in a 4-5 hour period. I would have ha a clean shot at 6 - 8 of those rabbits at one point or another. Figure I'll get a few for stew this fall.

Saw a good number of Pheasant too.

In a survival situation those dogs would have scared up dinner and then some.

I'm in a generous mood today.
Here's another bump.
Enjoy !
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20901334
United States
10/14/2012 10:57 AM
Report Abusive Post

Please note: I'm not in America. I live in Canada, a much larger country with VAST areas of untouched wilderness and wild game. Our population is only around 32 million. So, although I agree that the U.S. may not be suited for wilderness survival in many areas, Canada is in many areas.

Good point, mine is not pessimism, it is reality. The US is a time bomb, not just because of population, but geographical issues.

The New Madrid fault, west coast faults, volcanoes, drought, climate change. Any combination of those would displace millions of people, cripple transportation and on and on.

The US is balanced on the edge of a knife in so many ways, people here who think they can prep their way through what is going to happen here are largely, fooling themselves.

They would be better off pooling their supplies with other groups, by land New Zealand, Canada, Australia wilderness and moving there.

That is what the so called "Elites" in the US are doing, and with good reason.

Part of prepping is looking at the facts how they are WHERE you are, not romantically thinking 100 million US Citizens can "live off the land" in some nearby national Park.

Or thinking that your cabin in one of those parks is "safe" because it takes you 2 hours to get there from a city with a population of millions of people.

It is laughable.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25537363
Belgium
10/14/2012 12:10 PM
Report Abusive Post

Good point, mine is not pessimism, it is reality. The US is a time bomb, not just because of population, but geographical issues.

The New Madrid fault, west coast faults, volcanoes, drought, climate change. Any combination of those would displace millions of people, cripple transportation and on and on.

The US is balanced on the edge of a knife in so many ways, people here who think they can prep their way through what is going to happen here are largely, fooling themselves.

They would be better off pooling their supplies with other groups, by land New Zealand, Canada, Australia wilderness and moving there.

Part of prepping is looking at the facts how they are WHERE you are, not romantically thinking 100 million US Citizens can "live off the land" in some nearby national Park.

Or thinking that your cabin in one of those parks is "safe" because it takes you 2 hours to get there from a city with a population of millions of people.

It is laughable.

Provided you are reasonably intelligent and know what you are doing, you are certainly much better off being prepared for what is most likely to come. How can there be discussion about that ?

But I do agree that cooperation is very important. There is no doubt about that either, it seems to me. You've got to be a bit realistic - as you are pointing out.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/14/2012 04:17 PM
Report Abusive Post

It is laughable.

Provided you are reasonably intelligent and know what you are doing, you are certainly much better off being prepared for what is most likely to come. How can there be discussion about that ?

But I do agree that cooperation is very important. There is no doubt about that either, it seems to me. You've got to be a bit realistic - as you are pointing out.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25537363

I agree we need to be prepared. Some in the US have turned it into a game of who can die with the most preps. Or spend tons of money on gear and could not walk a mile downhill without gassing out.

I am all for prepping. You live in a city and want to learn what you need to survive? Spend 48 hours, one weekend, with your power and water shut of and ZERO trips out of your house for anything.

You will learn more about what you need than reading all the books ever written on the subject.

After you got the 48 hour thing done and prepped from what you learned, then take it to a week, then a month.

Then, learn how you will get out of town, on foot, if you cannot stay, if you are not strong enough to do that, then you need to plan accordingly.

That is fundamental prepping and LIVING in general.
BooBooKitty

User ID: 24982890
United States
10/14/2012 05:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
My dogs are English Mastiffs, two of them, 200+pounds. I heard Mastiffs were good for bear hunting, and bounty hunters. We do have bears here, I guess they'll be our neighbor hood watch dogs. Nothing but woods and farmland here.
 Quoting: Eternium

I have American Bulldogs. Mastiffs were on my short list of choices, great breed! In the end I needed a smaller breed seeing as how at 35 I'm only 120 lbs. Dogs are a great way to add to the family and have extra ears on call 24/7
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
-Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1477165
United States
10/14/2012 09:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
indeed northern ontario is gorgeous..

i just need to worry about employment.

right now im working as a landscaper.. cuttinng grass n shrubs n such.

no real trade experience. but i am most definately more ambitious than most youth.. and i work harder
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22427466

My Advice...if TS does not HTF, get into a big box Lowe's, or Home Depot and apply yourself. Strive for management and make t known. You'd be surprised what you can achieve financially in a fairly short amount of time.

This is really good advice! Nothing like being the holder of the store keys of a place like that come TSHTF. Fer sure.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/16/2012 12:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
indeed northern ontario is gorgeous..

i just need to worry about employment.

right now im working as a landscaper.. cuttinng grass n shrubs n such.

no real trade experience. but i am most definately more ambitious than most youth.. and i work harder
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22427466

My Advice...if TS does not HTF, get into a big box Lowe's, or Home Depot and apply yourself. Strive for management and make t known. You'd be surprised what you can achieve financially in a fairly short amount of time.

This is really good advice! Nothing like being the holder of the store keys of a place like that come TSHTF. Fer sure.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1477165

Nobody is going to need keys to get into those places when it goes down.

I think what he means is its good pay and you can get a discount on things you can use to become more non-dependent and he is right, they pay well and are always looking for good workers and managers.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26217939
Belgium
10/24/2012 03:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think we can look at it this way.

If society collapses to the degree that all those preppers rejoice and know they were right all long and are very glad to have spent a good part of their lives just prepping, then we might consider there will be, roughly speaking, two layers or two parts in society: those who will try to survive by taking from those weaker than themselves (whatever they want, or think they need) which will necessitate it goes without saying the use of brutal violence and an absence of scruples or a moral conscience ; and those who will try to keep up and together some sort of society with as high a degree of civilization as possible, using their own skills, resources, and stores, and trying to cooperate with other people in an optimal way. Needless to say, there won't be Christians worth speaking in the first category.

Of course, these two categories will be less easily recognizable in real life, there will be many people difficult to categorize.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Canada
10/24/2012 03:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think we can look at it this way.

If society collapses to the degree that all those preppers rejoice and know they were right all long and are very glad to have spent a good part of their lives just prepping, then we might consider there will be, roughly speaking, two layers or two parts in society: those who will try to survive by taking from those weaker than themselves (whatever they want, or think they need) which will necessitate it goes without saying the use of brutal violence and an absence of scruples or a moral conscience ; and those who will try to keep up and together some sort of society with as high a degree of civilization as possible, using their own skills, resources, and stores, and trying to cooperate with other people in an optimal way. Needless to say, there won't be Christians worth speaking in the first category.

Of course, these two categories will be less easily recognizable in real life, there will be many people difficult to categorize.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26217939

I don't claim to be so well prepared that I could never be taken down. If TSHTF who knows what will happen or where it will happen. However, I strongly believe its best to be as prepared a you can be to give yourself a fighting chance. My hounds are part of that puzzle for me.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26164078
United States
10/24/2012 03:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Some of you (like me) have places to get to away from populated areas.

Your quest for that escape may be impossible. If you are in the city, especially metropolitan, when tshtf, do you REALLY think you are going to make it out?

I see these shows on tv with city dwellers and their backyard gardens and food hoards, that stock won't survive one damn day before it is absconded by the people shitting their pants and what just happened.

GLP