Sway me to your point of view

Qarley

User ID: 12279110
United States
10/02/2012 02:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Sway me to your point of view
Hey OP, i can't sway you entirely. But I think you should do some research and find what suits you. Religion teaches you that there are signs... Read anything and everything you can and in the end you heart will lead you the right way. DO NOT EVER believe something because someone told you to. Believe it because you do.
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6735186
United States
10/02/2012 02:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
congrats OP
realizing there isn't an invisible man
living in the clouds who never
answers your prayers is the first step
in your awakening to a higher conscious.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4714791
United States
10/02/2012 02:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wiki and then read up on Transcendentalism, New Thought, Science of Mind, Infinite Intelligence, etc.

So many wise people plugged into what I believe is the truth. I could never explain it as well as any of them or even name all the authors and books on the subject.

All I know is it rings true for me. Sometimes I forget about it or fall away from it. But every time I'm low or seeking something I can't quite define, I always wind up right back in the thick of it wondering how I could have forgotten and fallen away from it.

It doesn't contradict Christianity but expands on it and ties in with what I believe Jesus was really all about.

"Men see God in the ripple, but not in miles of still water. Of all the two thousand miles that the St. Lawrence flows, pilgrims go only to Niagara."
— Henry David Thoreau

hf
Quagmire  (OP)

User ID: 21876626
United States
10/05/2012 03:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's been a few days since I responded to this thread. Thanks to all for your feedback. To anything I've called BS, I mean no disrespect to you personally; I just have trouble believing anything I cannot personally see or touch or prove. I am still thinking about a lot of things and trying to sort them out and will get to some of the posts and videos soon.
Face Palmer

User ID: 25022212
Germany
10/05/2012 03:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Keep going!
"The world will soon wake up to the reality that everyone is broke and can collect nothing from the bankrupt, who are owed unlimited amounts by the insolvent, who are attempting to make late payments on a bank holiday in the wrong country, with an unacceptable currency, against defaulted collateral, of which nobody is sure who holds title."

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

The woman who is not pursued sets up the doctrine that pursuit is offensive to her sex, and wants to make it a felony. No genuinely attractive woman has any such desire. - H.L. Mencken, In Defense Of Women
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21674902
Netherlands
10/05/2012 04:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
I am 41 years old and was raised as a Christian from birth. In my middle age I have realized I have never truly seen proof of God. Everything I have experienced in my life can be attested to other things besides God himself. Spiritual experiences could have just been emotional experiences due to the desire to be close to God. The Bible itself can be just another book. When I needed God most, he wasn't necessarily there. I invested in a business because I thought God wanted me to only to almost lose everything I've ever worked for. I have never seen a miracle. The Bible is full of contradictions. It also contains ridiculous laws in the OT. The members of my church are awesome, loving people, but they are also human; when my church has disagreements within itself, I wonder how God would allow that.

I can go on. I no longer know what to believe. Should I try to fight to believe what I was raised to believe? Should I explore any of the other hundreds of religions out there, perhaps some that are older than Christianity? Should I embrace further my scientific mind? Should I embrace logic over faith? Should I believe anything at all? Should I forget trying to figure out any meanings in this life and just take care of my family?

Please, tell me your points of view. Let me know what you believe. Give me other things to consider about this life. Maybe I am just older and bitter now. Maybe there are other possibilities I have not considered. Maybe I should embrace my faith even further. Or maybe I should forget faiths and beliefs and just concentrate on what I can see and feel and touch.

Sway me to your point of view.
 Quoting: Quagmire

Your parents and teachers swayed you already to their point of view, that influence will never go away.
I was raised like you but refused to be a member of any church. I don't believe in any God.

But I still pray every night...cool2

So, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Well, DON'T believe in books! Just read them with an open mind. Don't be a member of ANY group/church/whatever for at least 10 years.
Be on your own, think for yourself.

Then decide if you still believe in your 'taught' believe...

book
WHAT DO YOU HARBOR
User ID: 1351603
United States
10/05/2012 04:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
ANTIMATTER FACTORY ON THE SUN. YEP, THEY JUST PLAYING TAPE.

JAPANESE AEROSPACE. STEVEN CHU. ALWAYS HELPS TO HAVE AUM SHRINKWRAP CULT RUNNING AEROSPACE AND DOE.

ON LOOK ITS WANG CHUNG...

WANG NASA....
Quagmire  (OP)

User ID: 7089700
United States
10/07/2012 01:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
ANTIMATTER FACTORY ON THE SUN. YEP, THEY JUST PLAYING TAPE.

JAPANESE AEROSPACE. STEVEN CHU. ALWAYS HELPS TO HAVE AUM SHRINKWRAP CULT RUNNING AEROSPACE AND DOE.

ON LOOK ITS WANG CHUNG...

WANG NASA....
 Quoting: WHAT DO YOU HARBOR 1351603

Wtf is up with these jackass posts?

Idk what to believe any more. Oh but I should look at the beautiful blue sky. How could something so beautiful not have a creator? I can easily theorize that as species developed, the ones that feared dark turbulent skies and adored the bright blue skies survived over the others and passed that on. Same for scary long teeth we see in paintings of demons and such; species that feared the look of sharp teeth and glowing eyes in the dark didn't get eaten. Now we still have those genes embedded and still have those feelings based on ancient survival instincts.

But if I'm right and there is no god or higher power and an afterlife doesn't exist, what is the point in this life? What do I have to look forward to but ceasing to be when I die? It's a very depressing thought that after all these years my parents and good friends and church family members may be wrong and we all just die and cease to be, that we are just neural nets of dendrons and brain matter in a fleshy body with a seriously short life span, simply born to exist briefly then cease to be. What good is that? Sure, I get to help raise a couple of great kids, but what after that? What becomes of them besides the same bleak fate? This whole world is just here for the sake of existence and nothing more.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Some of the brightest and most intelligent minds ever born believe in a God or other higher power and that there is more to this life than my current bleak outlook. Perhaps I'll yet be shown I am wrong. It's just that so far I have never seen a miracle or had my own bright light from heaven blind me or had a donkey speak to me or have seen an angel or anything and I can no longer rely on faith alone when that same raw faith has utterly and completely failed me. Perhaps one day. But until then, fuck, I don't have a clue.
CuriousMe

User ID: 1465884
United States
10/07/2012 02:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
I find the notion that the natural world that we see around us can exist without a creator aka God to be unlikely.
Quagmire  (OP)

United States
10/08/2012 01:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
I find the notion that the natural world that we see around us can exist without a creator aka God to be unlikely.
 Quoting: CuriousMe

I find the notion that an all powerful creator would make us believe he exists through books written by man and not show himself with absolute proof.
RE: Joyce
User ID: 1351603
United States
10/08/2012 01:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
VAST - IM DYING

JENNIFER CONNELY - SWAY

Quagmire  (OP)

United States
10/08/2012 02:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: CuriousMe

I find the notion that an all powerful creator would make us believe he exists through books written by man and not show himself with absolute proof to be unlikely.
 Quoting: Quagmire

Apparently I was really tired when I wrote that. Corrected in bold above.

GLP