Purgatory.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24714913
United Kingdom
10/04/2012 03:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Purgatory.
Can this happen to someone while they are living or is this an after death experience?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8640456
United States
10/04/2012 03:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Purgatory.
It NEVER happens. It is not in the bible. I'm not anti-catholic but someone just made that up. The notion of hell as described in the bible is something we don't want to believe, but it's true.
Swinging on Spirals
User ID: 865798
United States
10/04/2012 03:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
After death, though.

I would consider the idea of purgatory while you are living, The Dark Night of the Soul.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
10/04/2012 03:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
After death, though.

I would consider the idea of purgatory while you are living, The Dark Night of the Soul.
 Quoting: Swinging on Spirals 865798

Ok thanks can you explain please what is the Dark Night of the Soul?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24961965
United States
10/04/2012 03:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Everybody in Fresno, California
Swinging on Spirals
United States
10/04/2012 03:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
After death, though.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24714913

Thread: The World is going through a massive DARK NIGHT OF THE SOUL, but it may be ending soon.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23579473
United States
10/04/2012 03:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Purgatory is when your consciousness resides in the lower carnal mind.

charlie
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
10/04/2012 03:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
After death, though.

Thread: The World is going through a massive DARK NIGHT OF THE SOUL, but it may be ending soon.

Thanks very much that thread was really helpful to me.

I would like to ask your interpretation of a dream I had while I was at a really low point in my life, after a long, lonely and depressing walk by the canal one afternoon I went home and went to bed for the night.

I had a dream that I was sitting at a round table with a few people who I looked up to and I felt they were spiritually advanced compared to me, I was learning from them.

A very very tall being then appeared behind me and the room filled with light, I didn't turn around, I knew how powerful this being was and that he/she was important. The being was wearing white robes and was very angelic. He put his/her hand very gently on my shoulder and said: 'close your eyes you are about to die'

I closed my eyes feeling obliged to do what this being asked and as I did so saw some family members flash through my mind in mourning and instead of closing my eyes and going with the being my eyes opened in the real world and I awoke from my dream.

A little complex I know but if you or anyone can decipher the meaning of this dream it would be of great help to me. hf
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
10/04/2012 03:42 PM
Report Abusive Post

charlie
 Quoting: ANHEDONIC

You're signature may have somewhat answered my question hf
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/04/2012 03:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
After death, though.

I would like to ask your interpretation of a dream I had while I was at a really low point in my life, after a long, lonely and depressing walk by the canal one afternoon I went home and went to bed for the night.

I had a dream that I was sitting at a round table with a few people who I looked up to and I felt they were spiritually advanced compared to me, I was learning from them.

A very very tall being then appeared behind me and the room filled with light, I didn't turn around, I knew how powerful this being was and that he/she was important. The being was wearing white robes and was very angelic. He put his/her hand very gently on my shoulder and said: 'close your eyes you are about to die'

I closed my eyes feeling obliged to do what this being asked and as I did so saw some family members flash through my mind in mourning and instead of closing my eyes and going with the being my eyes opened in the real world and I awoke from my dream.

A little complex I know but if you or anyone can decipher the meaning of this dream it would be of great help to me. hf

'You are about to die'

My impression:

Not to be interpreted literally, but symbolically.

You in this context = your false sense of self, your ego-based identity

You are about to relinquish your false sense of self on your path to a higher level of consciousness.

thumbs
Swinging on Spirals
United States
10/04/2012 03:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
After death, though.

Dream interpretations are unique to the individual experiencing them. Many times, they will be layered with clues from your subconscious. Look at these kind of powerful dreams as sign posts, or 'guides', and you will have better understanding as to how it was meant.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/04/2012 03:46 PM
Report Abusive Post

charlie

You're signature may have somewhat answered my question hf

cheers
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
10/04/2012 03:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

'You are about to die'

My impression:

Not to be interpreted literally, but symbolically.

You in this context = your false sense of self, your ego-based identity

You are about to relinquish your false sense of self on your path to a higher level of consciousness.

thumbs

Thankyou very much, this is the impression I had, that I had somehow been 'renewed' I felt better that day though hearing 'you are about to die' shook me slightly thanks again and thanks Swinging On Spirals angel3
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/04/2012 03:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
No problem. Congrats on your new direction in life.

:tommywingy:
Swinging on Spirals
United States
10/04/2012 04:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
If this particular dream really effect you, then explore it more using subconscious activations.

Do it much like you would a prayer. Don't 'ask' or 'want' for additional information on it, instead, have an intention to explore deeper aspects of the meaning. Something like this; when you go to bed, tell your 'higher self', or God, or whatever higher power you believe in, to let you have further conscious understanding of that particular dream.

Make sure you 'tell' you 'higher self' (etc) this, do not ask or want it, as a person wanting is left wanting. This is the power of the self that we forget. Also, make sure you have 'conscious' understanding, as you can still learn the bigger understanding of it, but subconsciously, which does not sate curiosity.

These are very important! Proper formulas of intention are required for this kind of specific...um, specific desires of answers to what you experience.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
10/04/2012 04:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
If this particular dream really effect you, then explore it more using subconscious activations.

Do it much like you would a prayer. Don't 'ask' or 'want' for additional information on it, instead, have an intention to explore deeper aspects of the meaning. Something like this; when you go to bed, tell your 'higher self', or God, or whatever higher power you believe in, to let you have further conscious understanding of that particular dream.

Make sure you 'tell' you 'higher self' (etc) this, do not ask or want it, as a person wanting is left wanting. This is the power of the self that we forget. Also, make sure you have 'conscious' understanding, as you can still learn the bigger understanding of it, but subconsciously, which does not sate curiosity.

These are very important! Proper formulas of intention are required for this kind of specific...um, specific desires of answers to what you experience.

Yeah, thanks for that I'll give it a go for sure smile_kiss
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24964777
United States
10/04/2012 04:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Purgatory isn't Biblical, it's made up, a lie.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
10/04/2012 04:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24964777

I've never seen a mention in the bible I have to say
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1447032
United States
10/04/2012 04:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Can this happen to someone while they are living or is this an after death experience?

What Happens to the Soul at Death?
“The doctrine that the human soul is immortal and will continue to exist after man’s death and the dissolution of his body is one of the cornerstones of Christian philosophy and theology.”—“NEW CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA.”

THE above-quoted reference work, however, admits that “the notion of the soul surviving after death is not readily discernible in the Bible.” What, then, does the Bible really teach about what happens to the soul at death?
The Dead Are Unconscious

The condition of the dead is made clear at Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10, where we read: “The dead know nothing . . . There is no pursuit, no plan, no knowledge or intelligence, within the grave.” (Moffatt) Death, therefore, is a state of nonexistence. The psalmist wrote that when a person dies, “he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish.”—Psalm 146:4.

So the dead are unconscious, inactive. When pronouncing sentence upon Adam, God stated: “Dust you are and to dust you will return.” (Genesis 3:19) Before God formed him from the dust of the ground and gave him life, Adam did not exist. When he died, Adam returned to that state. His punishment was death—not a transfer to another realm.

The Soul Can Die
When Adam died, what happened to his soul? Well, remember that in the Bible the word “soul” often simply refers to a person. So when we say that Adam died, we are saying that the soul named Adam died. This might sound unusual to a person who believes in the immortality of the soul. However, the Bible states: “The soul that is sinning—it itself will die.” (Ezekiel 18:4) Leviticus 21:1 speaks of “a deceased soul” (a “corpse,” Jerusalem Bible). And Nazirites were told not to come near “any dead soul” (“a dead body,” Lamsa).—Numbers 6:6.

A similar reference to the soul is found at 1 Kings 19:4. A severely distressed Elijah “began to ask that his soul might die.” Likewise, Jonah “kept asking that his soul might die, and he repeatedly said: ‘My dying off is better than my being alive.’” (Jonah 4:8) And Jesus used the phrase “to kill a soul,” which The Bible in Basic English renders “to put to death.” (Mark 3:4) So the death of the soul simply means the death of the person.

“Going Out” and ‘Coming Back’
But what about the tragic death of Rachel, which occurred as she gave birth to her second son? At Genesis 35:18, we read: “As her soul was going out (because she died) she called his name Benoni; but his father called him Benjamin.” Does this passage imply that Rachel had an inner being that departed at her death? Not at all. Remember, the word “soul” can also refer to the life that a person possesses. So in this case Rachel’s “soul” simply meant her “life.” That is why other Bibles render the phrase “her soul was going out” as “her life was ebbing away” (Knox), “she breathed her last” (Jerusalem Bible), and “her life went from her” (Bible in Basic English). There is no indication that a mysterious part of Rachel survived her death.

It is similar with the resurrection of a widow’s son, recorded in 1 Kings chapter 17. In verse 22, we read that as Elijah prayed over the young boy, “Jehovah listened to Elijah’s voice, so that the soul of the child came back within him and he came to life.” Once again, the word “soul” means “life.” Thus, the New American Standard Bible reads: “The life of the child returned to him and he revived.” Yes, it was life, not some shadowy form, that returned to the boy. This is in harmony with what Elijah said to the boy’s mother: “See, your son [the whole person] is alive.”—1 Kings 17:23.

The Dilemma of the “Intermediate State”
Many professed Christians believe that there will be a future resurrection at which time bodies will be joined with immortal souls. Then, the resurrected ones will be consigned to their fate—either a reward for those who led a good life or retribution for the wicked.

This concept sounds simple. But those who adhere to belief in the soul’s immortality have trouble explaining what happens to the soul between the time of death and the time of resurrection. Indeed, this “intermediate state,” as it is often called, has stirred speculation for centuries. Some say that during this period the soul goes to purgatory, where it can be purified of venial sins so as to become fit for heaven.

However, as we have seen, the soul is simply the person. When the person dies, the soul dies. Hence, there is no conscious existence after death. Indeed, when Lazarus died, Jesus Christ did not say that he was in purgatory, Limbo, or any other “intermediate state.” Rather, Jesus simply said: “Lazarus has fallen asleep.” (John 11:11, New English Bible) Clearly, Jesus, who knew the truth about what happens to the soul at death, believed that Lazarus was unconscious, nonexistent.

What Is the Spirit?
The Bible says that when a person dies, “his spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground.” (Psalm 146:4) Does this mean that a disembodied spirit literally departs and lives on after a person’s death? That could not be, for the psalmist next says: “In that day his thoughts do perish” (“all his thinking ends,” NEB). What, then, is the spirit, and how does it ‘go out’ from a person at the time of his death?

In the Bible the words translated “spirit” (Hebrew, ru'ach; Greek, pneu'ma) basically mean “breath.” Thus, instead of “his spirit goes out,” the translation by R. A. Knox uses the phrase “the breath leaves his body.” (Psalm 145:4, Knox) But the word “spirit” implies much more than the act of breathing. For example, in describing the destruction of human and animal life at the time of the global Deluge, Genesis 7:22 says: “Everything in which the breath of the force [or, spirit; Hebrew, ru'ach] of life was active in its nostrils, namely, all that were on the dry ground, died.” So “spirit” can refer to the life-force that is active in all living creatures, both humans and animals, and that is sustained by breathing.

To illustrate: Electric current powers a piece of equipment. If the current stops, the equipment ceases to function. The current does not take on a life of its own. Similarly, when a person dies, his spirit ceases to animate the body cells. It does not leave the body and move on to another realm.—Psalm 104:29.

Why, then, does Ecclesiastes 12:7 state that when a person dies, “the spirit itself returns to the true God who gave it”? Does this mean that the spirit literally travels through space into God’s presence? Nothing of the sort is implied. Remember, the spirit is the life-force. Once that life-force is gone, only God has the ability to restore it. So the spirit “returns to the true God” in the sense that any hope of future life for that person now rests entirely with God.

Only God can restore the spirit, or life-force, causing a person to come back to life. (Psalm 104:30) But does God intend to do so?

[Footnote]
According to the New Catholic Encyclopedia, “the [Church] Fathers in general are clear in their affirmation of the existence of purgatory.” Yet, this reference work also admits that “the Catholic doctrine on purgatory is based on tradition, not Sacred Scripture.”
Swinging on Spirals
United States
10/04/2012 04:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24964777

There are places similar to purgatory, so its not necessarily a lie. More like it is distorted information of some 'places' that do exist in the non-material side of reality.

GLP