Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,807 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 61,858
Pageviews Today: 117,866Threads Today: 51Posts Today: 864
01:36 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Tweets from around the U.S. " long lines at gas stations right now!" Panic buying! Fights!

ArmchairObserver

User ID: 12411641
United States
10/05/2012 12:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Tweets from around the U.S. " long lines at gas stations right now!" Panic buying! Fights!
There is no permanent gas doom coming. Rest assured. Primary reason why? This is the major oil companies' bread and butter that we're talking about and they have no plans on ever ending their control over the market. They control it all. Let that tidbit sink in slowly and thoroughly. They have spent the last few decades acquiring research and patents for potential alternative energy and fuel sources for the day should petroleum become scarce. I heard this directly from an employee of one of the largest oil companies in the world after I asked about what they would do should peak oil hit. If you don't believe me, all you have to do is start looking at their annual 10ks. They sometimes like to parade around the research to advertise just how charming and green they really are.

What is being planned is most likely a transition. My best guess (no longer an insider so just guessing but with some industry knowledge) is that the planned transitional fuel will be E85. The reason why I'm pretty confidant in saying this is because for the past several years, nearly every new car made has been flex fuel compatible. In other words, it can run on E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% petroleum. One of the biggest issues of trying to switch a market like this one is making sure that as many vehicles on the road are capable of using the new product as possible. That will take 10-20 years to do. When you start seeing that most cars on the road are flex fuel compatible, then you'll most likely see E85 popping up everywhere. The primary reason why they are doing it now is because they haven't yet perfected the darn thing and the issues with it--so they say. I'm not entirely convinced because what is extremely profitable right now is fossil fuels. They're not going to give up that golden goose until they really have to.

Now that doesn't mean that they aren't going to mess with the markets a bit. It's really just a couple oil companies out there after all and they have been divesting their refineries in the US. This makes it kind of nice for them to have temporary shortages that will boost prices from time to time.
AO
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/05/2012 01:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Tweets from around the U.S. " long lines at gas stations right now!" Panic buying! Fights!
Filled up this morning in Chicago. No other cars there.

Nice try, OP.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14391248

[link to finance.fortune.cnn.com]

[link to www.bloomberg.com]

[link to www.ktla.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24945571

Psst...it's because they cut the amount of unbranded gasoline to independent retailers. 14 refineries in California, 2 on the fritz. That's not doom. That's just convenient. Actually read the articles beyond just the "gas shortage" and into what is actually being said. If you have any questions in regard to what is what, I'm right here.
AO
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24758430
United States
10/05/2012 01:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why do you people still use gas. Grow a brain and go electric already. Cant figure it out then stop complaining and caught up the cash.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24682393

Unless you know where I can get an electric car AND truck with a MINIMUM range of 200 miles, then I have to use gas or diesel. That's how far it is for a day trip from where I am to the city for groceries and supplies. There's also the need to go over the mountains on the way. I minimize driving as much as possible, but there are limits.

I have good reasons to live where I do, and don't intend to move anytime soon.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24945571
United States
10/05/2012 01:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Russia CAN be seen from Alaska! I have never understood why it's a joke. Perhaps the uneducated laugh because Sarah Palin said it. She's not stupid!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24945571

I know it's possible but Tina Fey said it on SNL.

90% of the population believe Palin actually said it.

A comedian on a television show that airs at nearly midnight during the weekend created opinions, policy and changed votes.

That is the horrible joke that's not funny.
 Quoting: Herman The Kid

I watched the asshole liberal David Letterman last night even though I was 1/2 hour late. I just wanted to see what he would have to say about Obama doing so poorly in the debate. Sure enough, he put Romney down and praised Obama...and the audience laughed and clapped. What fools.

These liberal late-night comedians have always had an effect on the public's opinion of our Republican leaders, and it's a damn shame.
Doomamatrix

User ID: 18561533
United States
10/05/2012 01:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
From SoCal...and yes, I DO REALLY LIVE HERE, ok?

I left town for a week. When I left, my tank was at half so I just parked it and thought, "I'll fill it up when I get back." At that point, the average price in the Torrance area was $4.21 for the mid grade stuff.

I got back yesterday. Filled up this morning where now, in my area, the average price for mid-grade is $4.85! It is 10 cents less if you use cash which I did.

The lady at the counter blamed the fire in North CA in Aug and some event at the Chevron refinery in Torrance from last week. She warned that shortages will be happening because everyone is going nuts from stories that there is a gas shortage.

Pace at the station was brisk at 8:00AM. No lines yet, no fights.
Obamacare: Never has so much been taken away from so many for so few.
Copernica

User ID: 17525775
United States
10/05/2012 01:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why do you people still use gas. Grow a brain and go electric already. Cant figure it out then stop complaining and caught up the cash.

Unless you know where I can get an electric car AND truck with a MINIMUM range of 200 miles, then I have to use gas or diesel. That's how far it is for a day trip from where I am to the city for groceries and supplies. There's also the need to go over the mountains on the way. I minimize driving as much as possible, but there are limits.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24758430

You left out batteries need to work just as well in winter as in summer.

It's one of those convenient facts that people leave out in their preaching about electric and diesel cars. Neither get along very well in cold weather climates.
God Bless President TRUMP! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
AC 876
User ID: 10198809
United States
10/05/2012 01:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Birth Pangs...

And I don't know what a tweet is, but I just paid $25 to fill up my little Honda in St. Louis - and the tank had been just about empty.

Hopefully our doom will be forthcoming...for all those twin cab truck drivers, mostly hauling just themselves and a big gulp...
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/05/2012 01:19 PM
Report Abusive Post

I left town for a week. When I left, my tank was at half so I just parked it and thought, "I'll fill it up when I get back." At that point, the average price in the Torrance area was $4.21 for the mid grade stuff.

I got back yesterday. Filled up this morning where now, in my area, the average price for mid-grade is $4.85! It is 10 cents less if you use cash which I did.

The lady at the counter blamed the fire in North CA in Aug and some event at the Chevron refinery in Torrance from last week. She warned that shortages will be happening because everyone is going nuts from stories that there is a gas shortage.

Quoting: Doomamatrix

She warned that shortages will be happening because everyone is going nuts from stories that there is a gas shortage.

Yep. If a panic does happen, then the people will have brought a gas shortage upon themselves and, trust me, they WILL raise the price of gas even higher because everyone will be demanding it of them. Infinitely better to just buy as you normally would and wait it out.
AO
Anti-Doom

User ID: 24957548
United States
10/05/2012 01:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
NEWS FLASH HEADLINE OAKLAND, CA{/i}
A few minutes ago, I paid $4.75 a gallon for mid-grade 89 octane. As I was pumping my gas, the attendant brought out the pole, to reach up and change the prices. Hello inflation, goodbye budget! Happy trails everyone!
crisco
“Those who know don’t talk. And those who talk don’t know,”
Doomamatrix

United States
10/05/2012 01:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
NEWS FLASH HEADLINE OAKLAND, CA{/i}
A few minutes ago, I paid $4.75 a gallon for mid-grade 89 octane. As I was pumping my gas, the attendant brought out the pole, to reach up and change the prices. Hello inflation, goodbye budget! Happy trails everyone!
crisco
 Quoting: Anti-Doom

How much?

I'm heading back out myself and will pass where I filled up at 8AM. Interested to see how much change.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18681750
United States
10/05/2012 01:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
I filled up in So Cal Wednesday at 4.59 a gallon for premium. By yesterday, thursday, premium at 4.89.

30 cents overnight is a big jump, and I felt sick paying 4.59$.

This might be a California thing. Even though we refine a good majority of fuel here in So Cal, for some reason, we pay more than our neighboring states. I believe it is because California has higher grade standards than other states.

It sucks though. My household drives on average 120 miles a day, and we are probably on the low end, for a working family.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1383312
United States
10/05/2012 01:23 PM
Report Abusive Post

You left out batteries need to work just as well in winter as in summer.

It's one of those convenient facts that people leave out in their preaching about electric and diesel cars. Neither get along very well in cold weather climates.
 Quoting: Copernica

And the fact that if you do live in larger cities say LA,
electric grind cant even handle a hot summer w/ AC...try to add a million electric cars to that. Yeah again people need to wake up...these are all great ideas but we are not there yet with our tech etc...Reality needs to set in
Copernica

United States
10/05/2012 01:24 PM
Report Abusive Post

She warned that shortages will be happening because everyone is going nuts from stories that there is a gas shortage.

Yep. If a panic does happen, then the people will have brought a gas shortage upon themselves and, trust me, they WILL raise the price of gas even higher because everyone will be demanding it of them. Infinitely better to just buy as you normally would and wait it out.
 Quoting: ArmchairObserver

I think the key problem is that the gas stations just aren't willing to pay the current wholesale prices. They know the price will drop and they'll wind up having to sell the gas at a loss. Instead, they're just letting their supplies run out. The lucky stations are the ones that just got filled in the last week, before the price hike.

This is one of those times that I'm wondering where the government is. At minimum, shouldn't the state government be doing something to get the wholesale prices under control? It seems the suppliers are engaging in a mild form of racketeering and some stations are just price gouging. (Not that gasoline sales aren't a racket every day...but this seems excessive)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1314164
United States
10/05/2012 01:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
North NJ around 3.88. No lines no nothing.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24358110
United States
10/05/2012 01:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
I just got back. I filled up, and at 1:30 am there was a line. 3 cars at each pump at two gas stations across the street from each other.

Night all

It's up to $3.58/gal ! This morning it was $3.38/gal

Guess I should have purchased yesterday!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14577918

that is why there are lines, people getting it now, whether its scarce or not
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1321115
United States
Report Abusive Post
Gas prices in Oakland, Yikes! The photo speaks for itself.
[link to twitter.com]
 Quoting: Not Anonymous Coward

Nor Cal (not including the Bay Area) is still around $4.00 per gallon)

Hasn't hit yet...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9927807
United States
Report Abusive Post
Oh yea long lines, not..i passed gas stations most of them empty or 1 or 2 cars.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24358110
United States
10/05/2012 01:27 PM
Report Abusive Post

and do you realize, you would have a huge electricity bill. We have to make cars that generate their own electricity, which is very possible, your alternator already does, for gods sake.
Copernica

United States
10/05/2012 01:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
And the fact that if you do live in larger cities say LA,
electric grind cant even handle a hot summer w/ AC...try to add a million electric cars to that. Yeah again people need to wake up...these are all great ideas but we are not there yet with our tech etc...Reality needs to set in
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1383312

Exactly!!

One thing I've always wondered about is why don't we have solar/wind powered cars?

Solar to keep the small battery charged and get the car moving, and then wind power to keep it going.

Some wind turbines where the radiator is and the faster you go, the more wind you'd generate to keep on going.

Combine that with the harnessing of the power from braking - and no problem in places that can go days without sun.

If only I was mechanically inclined and had the money....*sigh*
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24687025
United States
10/05/2012 01:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
the price of crude has really dropped. The price of gas at the tank should be waaaaaaay down right now:
See it here:
[link to www.marketwatch.com]
Look at the chart

Price gouging is illegal in Florida.

Each state should pass a law about price gouging.

In Florida the lumber companies etc. stores used to do it after a hurricane, so Florida passed a law against it.
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/05/2012 01:51 PM
Report Abusive Post

I think the key problem is that the gas stations just aren't willing to pay the current wholesale prices. They know the price will drop and they'll wind up having to sell the gas at a loss. Instead, they're just letting their supplies run out. The lucky stations are the ones that just got filled in the last week, before the price hike.

This is one of those times that I'm wondering where the government is. At minimum, shouldn't the state government be doing something to get the wholesale prices under control? It seems the suppliers are engaging in a mild form of racketeering and some stations are just price gouging. (Not that gasoline sales aren't a racket every day...but this seems excessive)

The gasoline that is affected, from every article I've read, has been wholesale, unbranded gas. That's not gasoline that is being sold at your local Chevron or 76. That's the stuff being sold by your local Costco or *insert random name* mom and pop. One article on the post said that these independent type of dealers would have to charge $4.90 to break even. Now, compare that to the prices being offered by the Chevron or 76 (average was about $4.60 last night). They wouldn't be able to sell it and if they did try to, I know what would happen. I've seen it before.

When they did the same thing here years ago and bumped the price of gas up by 25 cents to specific types of buyers (independents and jobbers), well, they bought. The company owned stores and non-jobber dealers undercut them by 10 cents--because they could. So while the indies and jobbers were selling at the equivalent of that $4.90 price because of a 25 cent price hike just for them (with lots of love from the oil companies), the company stores were selling at a price equivalent of $4.80 (not actual prices but comparing what is going on in SoCal and what went on 10+ years ago). The company owned stores got to get another 15 cents a gallon pure profit doing this.

Well, our senator tried to do something about it. Like I said, I've seen it all before. It'd just be nice if somebody actually listened after all of these years. Wyden has fought for years on the subject. We lost a $32 million business trying to survive it when they did it to us. I don't blame them for closing their doors instead. Right call, I say.

Search Wyden FTC Redlining to find out more. It'll make you cry probably. FTC does nothing. They find no evidence of collusion when the companies are all so embroiled with each other that they aren't colluding really. They are pretty much nearly one and the same company.

For starters:

They also charged independent dealers higher wholesale prices than they charge branded stations.

[link to www.bendbugle.com]

Sound familiar?
AO
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/05/2012 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Oh and a ps to any oil company shills that may wander through: Sup. Yeah, you know who I am. Karma's a bitch.
AO
Doomamatrix

United States
10/05/2012 02:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Back in. The station I filled up at this AM still holding steady at under $5.00 however, the Valero station across the way now over $5.00 for the high grade if you pay with a card.

Still no long lines.

I wonder what the station I call the "pace setter" is selling. It's the 76 down the hill and as they bump up or down, so seems to go the rest of the area stations.

I'd go and see but....don't want to waste my gas!!!
IndigoSerenity76

User ID: 1679006
United States
10/05/2012 02:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
lol, my Giant gas points expire today, that would be why the gas stations are crowded near me.
"Imagine no possessions"

"As Above, So Below"

)O(
Rach
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24997206
United Kingdom
10/05/2012 02:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just to get this sorted.

The US is a net Oil importer
The US is a net petroleum product exporter

for the stupid this means the US import much of it's oil, refines it and then ships it back out again.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24997206
United Kingdom
10/05/2012 02:25 PM
Report Abusive Post

well apes there is people in europe that live away from groceries and have to do 100 km round trip....but they are not that mental to go everyday, not even once a week...organize yourself, shop local, produce something and stfu

I doesn't even pass my mind to do even 30 km if not a couple of time a month
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25001069

The difference is that a hundred km roundtrip is still only something like 60 miles or so. People in europe tend to forget that their entire countries are only about the size of any given state. Where I live at here in N.C towns are normally 15 to 30 miles apart and cities can be a hundred miles apart. My daily trip to work is around 85 miles round trip, thats each day and thats if I only go to work and straight back home. Factor in a stop at a store and my total can easily top 100 miles or more a day. So when you tell me to shop local you failt to realize how far I live from any stores at all, fuckin smartass.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1634755

well apes there is people in europe that live away from groceries and have to do 100 km round trip....but they are not that mental to go everyday, not even once a week...organize yourself, shop local, produce something and stfu

I doesn't even pass my mind to do even 30 km if not a couple of time a month
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25001069

The difference is that a hundred km roundtrip is still only something like 60 miles or so. People in europe tend to forget that their entire countries are only about the size of any given state. Where I live at here in N.C towns are normally 15 to 30 miles apart and cities can be a hundred miles apart. My daily trip to work is around 85 miles round trip, thats each day and thats if I only go to work and straight back home. Factor in a stop at a store and my total can easily top 100 miles or more a day. So when you tell me to shop local you failt to realize how far I live from any stores at all, fuckin smartass.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1634755

Nobody's fault but your own bud. If had you had actually read the limits to growth back in the 70s you might have had a little time to prepare. Much easier to blame the guberment and all dem conspiracys though isn't it.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24997206

You mean that document aponsored by / put out by the Club of Rome?

[link to www.clubofrome.org]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6383062

That's right conspiritard. If you read any of Donella meadows excellent systems theory books you would be out preparing for everything that is happening right now rather than blaming mummy and daddy (Democrats and Republicans)for all you ills
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14392840
United States
10/05/2012 02:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just paid 3.56 a gallon, no lines, no fights , no panic where Im at..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17851333
United States
10/05/2012 02:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
buncha whiney babies. we pay over $8 a gallon.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24903444

Would it bother you if your country was bigger than a postage stamp?

Stop with the stupid statements about how much you pay, it is not relevant to the situation in the U.S..

Plus, your socialism is why your gas is so high.
goldielucks

User ID: 794598
United States
10/05/2012 02:30 PM
Report Abusive Post

The gasoline that is affected, from every article I've read, has been wholesale, unbranded gas. That's not gasoline that is being sold at your local Chevron or 76. That's the stuff being sold by your local Costco or *insert random name* mom and pop. One article on the post said that these independent type of dealers would have to charge $4.90 to break even. Now, compare that to the prices being offered by the Chevron or 76 (average was about $4.60 last night). They wouldn't be able to sell it and if they did try to, I know what would happen. I've seen it before.

When they did the same thing here years ago and bumped the price of gas up by 25 cents to specific types of buyers (independents and jobbers), well, they bought. The company owned stores and non-jobber dealers undercut them by 10 cents--because they could. So while the indies and jobbers were selling at the equivalent of that $4.90 price because of a 25 cent price hike just for them (with lots of love from the oil companies), the company stores were selling at a price equivalent of $4.80 (not actual prices but comparing what is going on in SoCal and what went on 10+ years ago). The company owned stores got to get another 15 cents a gallon pure profit doing this.

Well, our senator tried to do something about it. Like I said, I've seen it all before. It'd just be nice if somebody actually listened after all of these years. Wyden has fought for years on the subject. We lost a $32 million business trying to survive it when they did it to us. I don't blame them for closing their doors instead. Right call, I say.

Search Wyden FTC Redlining to find out more. It'll make you cry probably. FTC does nothing. They find no evidence of collusion when the companies are all so embroiled with each other that they aren't colluding really. They are pretty much nearly one and the same company.

For starters:

They also charged independent dealers higher wholesale prices than they charge branded stations.

[link to www.bendbugle.com]

Sound familiar?

Wow, Thanks for sharing that insight! Very deceptive and cunning or should I say...slick?!

Last Edited by goldielucks on 10/05/2012 02:30 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1443074
United States
10/05/2012 02:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this may be just a covert way to keep people from traveling before the new Madrid fault goes BOOM!

GLP