Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,237 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 562,941
Pageviews Today: 941,052Threads Today: 317Posts Today: 5,674
11:00 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Are women allowed to preach and teach in the church? Or are we to be silent?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21291600
United States
10/08/2012 09:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Are women allowed to preach and teach in the church? Or are we to be silent?
you bet they are!
don't let anyone tell you that women are to be silent.
God used many powerful women to teach, preach, judge, prophesy, etc.

God called and used women preachers in the Old Testament.

a. DEBORAH - Judges 4:4-5. Deborah was a Judge for both civil and criminal cases. The children of Israel came to her for judgment. She was the chief ruler of Israel for 40 years, giving orders to the Generals and all the army. She did the work of an evangelist, prophetess, Judge, and a preacher. God gave her authority over the mighty (Judges 5:13).

b. MIRIAM - Exodus 15:20; Numbers 12:1; Micah 6:4. She was a Prophetess and a Song Leader in Israel.

c. HULDAH - 2 Kings 22:14. Five men went to Sister Huldah and communed with her. She spoke to a congregation of men concerning the book of the Law. A female preached to a man's congregation, and her message was taken to the nation and produced a revival.

d. MAHER-SHALAL-HASH-BAZ'S MOTHER - Isaiah 8:3. She was a prophetess.

8. God called and used women preachers in the New Testament.

a. The first message of the Resurrection of Christ was spoken by women to a group of men.

b. Anna - Luke 2:36-38. She must have prophesied in church, because she did not depart from the temple.

c. Phillip had 4 daughters who prophesied. Acts 21:9.

d. Priscilla assisted Paul in his revival meeting and even taught Apollos in the way of the Lord more perfectly.

e. Phebe - Romans 16:1-2. Paul commended Phoebe to the Church at Rome and requested that they assist her in her business. She was one of Paul's assistants in the work of the Lord and delivered the Book of Romans to the people from the hand of Paul.

9. There is no sound reason why a woman or man should not preach the Gospel. There is a desperate need in the church for more workers. Laborers are few, and God will use any and all who will go for Him. Some say God will not use a woman to preach, because "The woman was deceived," but remember Romans 5:12: "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world." It seems to indicate that Adam was just as guilty as Eve in the fall of man. If anyone should be kept from preaching because of sin, it would be Adam. But God does not forbid anyone from preaching, because of Adam's or Eve's sin.

10. 1 Cor. 14: 34-35 does not say anything about women preachers. If Paul intended this verse as a general rule to bar all women from speaking in church, then they cannot teach Sunday School, testify, pray, prophesy, sing, or even get saved, and this would contradict the rest of the Bible (Acts 2:4; Acts 2:16-18).

Paul was rather dealing with a particular problem in the church. Women were not educated as were the men in that day; therefore the women would talk back and forth to their husbands in church and ask questions concerning the sermon. Paul said, "If they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home; for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." If they want to talk things over let them wait until they get home. This rule is still good for the church today, where people are talking and causing confusion in the church service. They should not speak in church. (Not in the back of the church either before or after services.)

If a woman cannot speak in church, then she cannot speak in prayer meeting, young people's service, etc., for who can deny that Sunday School and Prayer meeting, and Youth work are parts of church? Christ's Church is not a building, but rather it is found where two or three are gathered together in His name, whether at a street meeting, in a tent, a home, church, classroom or anywhere else.

11. 1 Timothy 2:12 is not a blanket rule for all women of all churches. If it were, then the women could not speak at all, for the same verse that tells them not to teach also tells them to be silent.

If all women had to keep silent in church, then that would be promoting disobedience to God, for they could not prophesy, pray, testify, sing, exhort, do personal work, or even get saved.

Whenever an interpretation to a verse contradicts the rest of the teaching of the Bible, we know this interpretation is incorrect, for the Holy Spirit will never contradict His own Word.

50% rule observed
[link to circleofchristianwomen.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Are women allowed to preach and teach in the church? Or are we to be silent?
from the same link"

13. To condemn women preachers and women church workers is a serious offense, because God has stamped His approval on them by His Spirit over and over again, and who is man to fight against the Spirit of God?

To condemn women preachers and women church workers is in a sense to claim they are doing wrong and committing sin...and all those who support them and listen to them are having a part in that sin.

For anyone to do this, he must condemn approximately 99% of all the Spirit-filled believers and the vast majority of all of Christianity.

"Of a truth, I perceive that God is no respecter of persons..." (Acts 10:34).
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20586262
United States
10/08/2012 09:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Are women allowed to preach and teach in the church? Or are we to be silent?
No, they are not to preach. You can't find a woman preacher or priest anywhere in the bible. Show me a bible verse of one and I'll agree with you.

Woman can do a lot like prophesy, gifts of the Holy Spirit, be called disciples, be helpers of the church, but nowhere is there ever one preacher in the New Testament to the church, SORRY!
eve incognito
User ID: 25176502
Bosnia and Herzegovina
10/08/2012 09:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
can someone move this into religioun section.where ppl who get off at jehova's name hang...this here is for us who get off at relationships and sex
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24358110
United States
10/08/2012 09:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
and another thing left out of the bible, is that there were 12 woman apostles too, lead by Mary M
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
No, they are not to preach. You can't find a woman preacher or priest anywhere in the bible. Show me a bible verse of one and I'll agree with you.

Woman can do a lot like prophesy, gifts of the Holy Spirit, be called disciples, be helpers of the church, but nowhere is there ever one preacher in the New Testament to the church, SORRY!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 20586262

There is not one Scripture in the Bible that forbids women from preaching, but on the contrary, there are many verses that encourage both men and women to preach the Gospel.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24358110
United States
10/08/2012 09:17 PM
Report Abusive Post

see my post above, 12 women DID and that was LEFT OUT OF YOUR BIBLE
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/08/2012 09:29 PM
Report Abusive Post

There is not one Scripture in the Bible that forbids women from preaching, but on the contrary, there are many verses that encourage both men and women to preach the Gospel.
 Quoting: Salt

Give me just one bible verse that mentions a name of a woman apostle, bishop, or deacon to the church. That's all I ask for! You can't because there isn't one. Were there any priests that were women? NO. Jesus carried this into the New Testament and it was understood by all in the first church so there was no need to put a verse forbidding it. All apostles Jesus chose were men, Jesus didn't even pick His own mother who bore Him. That should tell you something right there! It does forbid a woman to teach a man. So how can a woman preach, that would be teaching men!
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/08/2012 09:30 PM
Report Abusive Post

see my post above, 12 women DID and that was LEFT OUT OF YOUR BIBLE
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24358110

That's a down right lie!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22741000
United States
10/08/2012 09:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
So thats why you wimminz should be proud and disobedient wives right? You been disobedient since the garden
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/08/2012 09:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
So thats why you wimminz should be proud and disobedient wives right? You been disobedient since the garden
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22741000

I notice the man followed close behind in the garden!
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
you bet they are!

a. DEBORAH - Judges 4:4-5. Deborah was a Judge for both civil and criminal cases. The children of Israel came to her for judgment. She was the chief ruler of Israel for 40 years, giving orders to the Generals and all the army. She did the work of an evangelist, prophetess, Judge, and a preacher. God gave her authority over the mighty (Judges 5:13).

b. MIRIAM - Exodus 15:20; Numbers 12:1; Micah 6:4. She was a Prophetess and a Song Leader in Israel.

c. HULDAH - 2 Kings 22:14. Five men went to Sister Huldah and communed with her. She spoke to a congregation of men concerning the book of the Law. A female preached to a man's congregation, and her message was taken to the nation and produced a revival.

a. The first message of the Resurrection of Christ was spoken by women to a group of men.

b. Anna - Luke 2:36-38. She must have prophesied in church, because she did not depart from the temple.

d. Priscilla assisted Paul in his revival meeting and even taught Apollos in the way of the Lord more perfectly.

e. Phebe - Romans 16:1-2. Paul commended Phoebe to the Church at Rome and requested that they assist her in her business. She was one of Paul's assistants in the work of the Lord and delivered the Book of Romans to the people from the hand of Paul.

9. There is no sound reason why a woman or man should not preach the Gospel. There is a desperate need in the church for more workers. Laborers are few, and God will use any and all who will go for Him. Some say God will not use a woman to preach, because "The woman was deceived," but remember Romans 5:12: "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world." It seems to indicate that Adam was just as guilty as Eve in the fall of man. If anyone should be kept from preaching because of sin, it would be Adam. But God does not forbid anyone from preaching, because of Adam's or Eve's sin.

10. 1 Cor. 14: 34-35 does not say anything about women preachers. If Paul intended this verse as a general rule to bar all women from speaking in church, then they cannot teach Sunday School, testify, pray, prophesy, sing, or even get saved, and this would contradict the rest of the Bible (Acts 2:4; Acts 2:16-18).

Paul was rather dealing with a particular problem in the church. Women were not educated as were the men in that day; therefore the women would talk back and forth to their husbands in church and ask questions concerning the sermon. Paul said, "If they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home; for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." If they want to talk things over let them wait until they get home. This rule is still good for the church today, where people are talking and causing confusion in the church service. They should not speak in church. (Not in the back of the church either before or after services.)

If a woman cannot speak in church, then she cannot speak in prayer meeting, young people's service, etc., for who can deny that Sunday School and Prayer meeting, and Youth work are parts of church? Christ's Church is not a building, but rather it is found where two or three are gathered together in His name, whether at a street meeting, in a tent, a home, church, classroom or anywhere else.

11. 1 Timothy 2:12 is not a blanket rule for all women of all churches. If it were, then the women could not speak at all, for the same verse that tells them not to teach also tells them to be silent.

If all women had to keep silent in church, then that would be promoting disobedience to God, for they could not prophesy, pray, testify, sing, exhort, do personal work, or even get saved.

Whenever an interpretation to a verse contradicts the rest of the teaching of the Bible, we know this interpretation is incorrect, for the Holy Spirit will never contradict His own Word.

50% rule observed

Give me just one bible verse that mentions a name of a woman apostle, bishop, or deacon to the church. That's all I ask for! You can't because there isn't one. Were there any priests that were women? NO. Jesus carried this into the New Testament and it was understood by all in the first church so there was no need to put a verse forbidding it. All apostles Jesus chose were men, Jesus didn't even pick His own mother who bore Him. That should tell you something right there! It does forbid a woman to teach a man. So how can a woman preach, that would be teaching men!
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
fyi, Adam was the one to drop the ball... not Eve.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25184767
Ireland
10/08/2012 09:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nope. The priesthood went to the sons of Aaron for a perpetual covenant.

And thou shalt gird them with girdles, Aaron and his sons, and put the bonnets on them: and the priest's office shall be theirs for a perpetual statute: and thou shalt consecrate Aaron and his sons. Exodus 29:9
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25184767
Ireland
10/08/2012 09:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22741000

lol
Life and Love

User ID: 18613580
United States
10/08/2012 09:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's the problem with a narrow, single verse view. You miss the wider context of what Scripture is saying to us.
We become like that to which we are devoted. - Choose wisely.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
These are the primary texts used to support a woman's right to preach. We will consider each text as it appears in the various arguments below.

Joel 2:28-29 - "It will come about after this that I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind; and your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. And even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days."

Acts 2:17-18 - "'And it shall be in the last days,' God says, 'That I will pour forth of My Spirit upon all mankind; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; even upon My bondslaves, both man and women, I will in those days pour forth of My Spirit and they shall prophesy.'"
Galatians 328 - "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

1 Corinthians 11:4-5 - "Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying, disgraces his head. But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying, disgraces her head; for she is one and the same with her whose head is shaved."

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 - "Let the women keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but let them subject themselves, just as the Law also says. And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church."

Timothy 2:11-15 - "Let a woman quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being quite deceived,fell into transgression. But women shall be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint."

[link to www.communitychurchsyv.org]
Shamar

User ID: 1479302
United States
10/08/2012 09:43 PM

Report Abusive Post
you bet they are!

50% rule observed

I agree with your conclusions here.
What is interesting to me is how you pick and choose when to use OT scrpts and when you choose not to.

Can you explain?
Love is like light. It is never constrained to its source; it shines on everything and tends to spread spontaneously, unless we block it! ~ Cosmic Swami
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
but, to clarify...

a woman must submit to the authority of the church and should not hold a position of Head Pastor over men in any church.

the honor of submission is for a specific reason.
that reason has nothing to do with lacking any equality, education or ability.
institutionalized

User ID: 21503979
United States
10/08/2012 09:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Woman Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I'm trying to listen to some good ol' fashioned preachin'.

We be snake handlin' and all that new age shit.

I'm a boy, but I wear a skirt, hopefully it covers my ankles, I don't want to be sent to hell.
,./;'[]=-
Spitting Into The Wind

User ID: 24257207
United States
Report Abusive Post
Answer these questions everyone: does one have to be in leadership in order to teach or preach? What shall a woman do when married to an unbeliever who has questions and trusts no one else?
Shamar

User ID: 1479302
United States

Report Abusive Post
Women can shut thier damn mouths, unless there opening wide for a nice big juicy cock.

Thier place is in the kitchen and the sowing room, not in the synagogue.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25080177

not sure why your post is not deleted and you banned.

Why don't you find some other way to entertain yourself??byekitty
Love is like light. It is never constrained to its source; it shines on everything and tends to spread spontaneously, unless we block it! ~ Cosmic Swami
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Galatians 3:28 - "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Women can shut thier damn mouths, unless there opening wide for a nice big juicy cock.

Thier place is in the kitchen and the sowing room, not in the synagogue.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25080177

this toothless, moronic hillbilly post has been reported.

"sowing" room

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

friggin moran
Life and Love

United States
10/08/2012 09:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Galatians 3:28 - "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

A side note: A common prayer among Jewish men of that era was (approximately): "Thank you God that I was not born a heathen, that I was not born a slave, that I as not born a woman." Paul himself would have most likely recited this prayer every morning for years.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Answer these questions everyone: does one have to be in leadership in order to teach or preach? What shall a woman do when married to an unbeliever who has questions and trusts no one else?
 Quoting: Spitting Into The Wind

that is a good question.

the issue is whether a woman should hold a place of authority in the church and teach/preach.

i think women can teach, preach, prophesy (speak the Word regarding practical past, present and future matters), minister, and pray.

whether or not they should head a church?
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/08/2012 09:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
but, to clarify...

a woman must submit to the authority of the church and should not hold a position of Head Pastor over men in any church.

She can't be a co pastor or any kind of office that has the Pastor title. Period, I clearly see that you support woman pastors by your posts. If I see a TV christian show and there is a woman with a Pastor in front of her name, I turn the show off. She is off!
Life and Love

United States
10/08/2012 09:53 PM
Report Abusive Post

that is a good question.

the issue is whether a woman should hold a place of authority in the church and teach/preach.

i think women can teach, preach, prophesy (speak the Word regarding practical past, present and future matters), minister, and pray.

Since Christ is the head of the Church, this may be an issue that concerns certain denominations more than it concerns Him.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15015575
United States
10/08/2012 09:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
You could always give up religion and realize you are a human being, and not a slave to the rules of a collection of stories and the old men who interpret it for their personal gain.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
but, to clarify...

She can't be a co pastor or any kind of office that has the Pastor title. Period, I clearly see that you support woman pastors by your posts. If I see a TV christian show and there is a woman with a Pastor in front of her name, I turn the show off. She is off!

you can't see any such thing.

i do support women teachers and preachers.

it is the audience that is important.

i am currently in school to do such a ministry. i plan to minister. do i plan to pastor a church, no. but, i HAVE been called. but, the ministering/counseling will be to women, children and teens. both male and female children and teens.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 09:56 PM
Report Abusive Post

that is a good question.

Since Christ is the head of the Church, this may be an issue that concerns certain denominations more than it concerns Him.
 Quoting: Life and Love

yes, i hear what you are saying. i didn't mean head THE church (body of believers), i meant become head-pastor of any given church (sanctuary/temple)

GLP