Gassed Louisiana sinkhole family human rights plea exposes coverup

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13793225
United States
10/08/2012 09:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Gassed Louisiana sinkhole family human rights plea exposes coverup
I understand that not everyone can just pick up and move from their homes, even when there are concerning conditions in or near their area.

Hell, every person in America is being exposed to something from one source or another.

But this story about this particular mother and her two children makes you wonder.

It says a methane leak caused a fire in their yard in 2003, nine years ago . . . so they knew the area was unsafe to some degree.

Yet, she has a 2 and 6 year old . . . children she knowingly brought into that same environment she knew was contaminated and dangerous BEFORE she even got pregnant.

And now they're experiencing very serious symptoms and smelling several different odors but she says they cannot evacuate . . . and she wants gov assistance to be able to leave.

If you have small children and they are definitely sick and experiencing such constant and bad symptoms and you know that there is methane and whatever else being emitted into the air, beyond any doubt, shouldn't you find a way to get out - and then try to get compensation afterward?

I don't understand why the gov has not ordered mandatory evacuation for a wide radius of that entire area in LA, but I also don't understand how ANY mother could allow her small children to continue to be so obviously sick, knowing full well what's causing it, and not get them out of there.

[link to www.examiner.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19449099
United States
10/08/2012 09:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Gassed Louisiana sinkhole family human rights plea exposes coverup
She wants a hand out and it seems she does not care about her kids.
WindyMind

User ID: 7244814
United States
10/08/2012 09:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Is the father dead? If your going to lay blame it's not just on her.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17338098
United States
10/08/2012 09:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Someone really needs to help these people!
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 10:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17338098

But isn't the mother responsible for the welfare of her own small children?
WindyMind

User ID: 7244814
United States
10/08/2012 10:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Money
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1136392
United States
10/08/2012 10:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Poor family. I hope the publicity gets her some help. A constant dull headache! I can't think straight when I have a headache, so I suspect feeling bad physically has paralyzed her. She needs someone to help her get past the crisis part so she can gather herself to help heal her family. Don't you know she is despairing. I pray for God to lift her out of this suffering.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1136392
United States
10/08/2012 10:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Poor family. I hope the publicity gets her some help. A constant dull headache! I can't think straight when I have a headache, so I suspect feeling bad physically has paralyzed her. She needs someone to help her get past the crisis part so she can gather herself to help heal her family. Don't you know she is despairing. I pray for God to lift her out of this suffering.
closing eyes

User ID: 24721119
United States
10/08/2012 10:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
If she cant help herself, i hope she gets help. Those kids didn't ask for this.
If you woke up breathing, you have another chance!
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 11:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1136392

But was she right to have two children and bring them into that environment to live - even though she KNEW that area was dangerous prior to their birth?
Anonymous Coward
10/08/2012 11:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wow you guys! Damn! This is CRAZY.
Anonymous Coward
10/08/2012 11:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
The Heilig’s house is one of hundreds in Bayou Corne, Grand Bayou and Pierre Part above the sinking 1-mile by 3-mile Napoleonville Salt Dome where a giant sinkhole, parish bayous and water wells are releasing life threatening, explosive volatile hydrocarbons.

“At least every other day, there’s a chemical smell in the air, and if I sit on my porch at night, I can hear banging noises coming from behind my home towards the sinkhole,” Alicia Heilig, 27, told Dupré this week.

. . .

“I live two miles away from the sinkhole, and when the wind is coming this direction you can smell it here,” Heilig commented. “Very strong. Almost makes you want to gag!”
 Quoting: [link to www.examiner.com]

Dafuq!?!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16213681
United States
10/08/2012 11:20 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13793225

You know most societies families neighbors help each other out. No one can do everything completely on their own.
What is wrong with you?
How dare you judge someone you don't even know.
Did you raise yourself and never need assistance or did you have a community helping you along, even invisibley it happens every day and it gives delight to all concerned.
Kissplash

User ID: 18998054
United States
10/08/2012 11:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
I will pray that her guides help her to the right path for help in the next couple of days. You know it's quite possible that the chemicals have affected her thinking and she ain't all there. I'm sure that she's lost a lot of brain cells after sitting next to a chemical mess. It might have happened within the first few months of living there...and you never get those brain cells back!

No one should be judging her or anyone else that does foolish things until you walk a mile in their shoes in the most physical sense. What you would do if you are who you are right now is not who you would be if you were someone else for even one minute. We all have an obstacle to overcome and some of us have bigger obstacles. Not all of us have money, family, security, food, or even shelter at various times. As a human I am appalled at how even the smallest of communities can forget their humanity and just brush "problem people" under the rug as though they aren't there. Maybe someone needs to reach out and touch this woman? For all you know she's too proud to ask for help to escape.
LEARN HOW TO BE KIND OR BE LEFT BEHIND. OXOXO
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/08/2012 11:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

You know most societies families neighbors help each other out. No one can do everything completely on their own.
What is wrong with you?
Did you raise yourself and never need assistance or did you have a community helping you along, even invisibley it happens every day and it gives delight to all concerned.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16213681

Chill out with your histrionics there . . .

If you actually took time to read my first post, you would see that I acknowledge that the gov SHOULD be evacuating everyone with a certain radius of the sinkhole.

But this girl is the mother of two very small children and it is HER responsibility to insure their safety.

She and her mother acknowledge that there were problems 9 years ago . . . and yet she brings two babies into that environment.

Now if she or someone who knows her wants to contradict that legitimately, they can do so. Otherwise, my interpretation of this is valid.

Hell yeah I can judge . . . because every irresponsible, reckless person in this country is part of the whole of this society and when they screw up, a little bit of society is screwed up.

And I don't know where people like you get the idea that it's perfectly acceptable for people to AUTOMATICALLY depend on their family and neighbors . . . perhaps if people were stronger and more determined to be self-sufficient, this society wouldn't be comprised of so many apathetic jackasses just wanting a handout and EXPECTING others to do their work and get them out of messes when THEY are perfectly capable of doing so or could have not been in the mess in the first place if they'd used better judgment.

There ARE those who work hard, act responsibly and are decent, genuinely good people who may need a helping hand in one way or another and THEY are the ones we should be willing to help.

And may I add this - WHERE is the father (or fathers) in this story?

Uh-huh.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24767090
United States
10/08/2012 11:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

The Heilig’s house is one of hundreds in Bayou Corne, Grand Bayou and Pierre Part above the sinking 1-mile by 3-mile Napoleonville Salt Dome where a giant sinkhole, parish bayous and water wells are releasing life threatening, explosive volatile hydrocarbons.

“At least every other day, there’s a chemical smell in the air, and if I sit on my porch at night, I can hear banging noises coming from behind my home towards the sinkhole,” Alicia Heilig, 27, told Dupré this week.

. . .

“I live two miles away from the sinkhole, and when the wind is coming this direction you can smell it here,” Heilig commented. “Very strong. Almost makes you want to gag!”

Wowwww!!! That dont tell you that in the news. Actually there is no news at all about this, and there was this sure wouldnt be in it.!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24767090
United States
10/08/2012 11:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Err
They dont say that in the news, and even if there was news about the sinkhole this would not be included.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13065523
United States
10/08/2012 11:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

What is wrong with you?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16213681

Chill out with your histrionics there . . .

If you actually took time to read my first post, you would see that I acknowledge that the gov SHOULD be evacuating everyone with a certain radius of the sinkhole.

But this girl is the mother of two very small children and it is HER responsibility to insure their safety.

She and her mother acknowledge that there were problems 9 years ago . . . and yet she brings two babies into that environment.

Now if she or someone who knows her wants to contradict that legitimately, they can do so. Otherwise, my interpretation of this is valid.

Hell yeah I can judge . . . because every irresponsible, reckless person in this country is part of the whole of this society and when they screw up, a little bit of society is screwed up.

And I don't know where people like you get the idea that it's perfectly acceptable for people to AUTOMATICALLY depend on their family and neighbors . . . perhaps if people were stronger and more determined to be self-sufficient, this society wouldn't be comprised of so many apathetic jackasses just wanting a handout and EXPECTING others to do their work and get them out of messes when THEY are perfectly capable of doing so or could have not been in the mess in the first place if they'd used better judgment.

There ARE those who work hard, act responsibly and are decent, genuinely good people who may need a helping hand in one way or another and THEY are the ones we should be willing to help.

And may I add this - WHERE is the father (or fathers) in this story?

Uh-huh.

~~~~This~~~~ With a cherry on top, Bouya!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13859216
United States
10/08/2012 11:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think the home belongs to the 58 year old grandmother. Alecia is only 27 years old, she would have only been 18 in 2003 (the time of the fire in their yard). It sounds like this girl probably moved out on her own, had her kids, fell on hard times (either lost her job or a divorce), and ended up back home with her mom until she gets back on her feet. I'm her age and I know a lot of people that are living this exact scenario.

But I think Alecia needs to come up with another plan instead of moving her young family in to her toxic childhood home. She should look into subsidized housing/welfare or get an apartment or a trailer, move her mom in with her where the two of them could pool their incomes and work out a childcare/work schedule.
Miku

User ID: 25221487
United States
10/08/2012 11:56 PM
Report Abusive Post

. . .

Wowwww!!! That dont tell you that in the news. Actually there is no news at all about this, and there was this sure wouldnt be in it.!
 Quoting: Mister Obvious

I wonder if it has anything to do with this sound that was uploaded on Oct 7th 2012.

Thread: Strange Roaring Sound Recorded in Northwest Louisiana - What the hell is this?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19101438
United States
10/09/2012 12:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
its the mothers fault for not getting out of there...she should be concerned with her childrens safety over not having the "means" to leave...yes you do lady. You pack a few bags and you get the F out. You dont stick around and get your kids sick waiting for a handout. Im sorry but that is NEGLEGENCE
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19101438
United States
10/09/2012 12:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
nevertheless, they need to get out, why doesnt the community help this lady? has she even gone to her local community for help? Cmon now...

User ID: 25178509
Brazil
10/09/2012 12:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Nus
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/09/2012 12:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think the home belongs to the 58 year old grandmother. Alecia is only 27 years old, she would have only been 18 in 2003 (the time of the fire in their yard). It sounds like this girl probably moved out on her own, had her kids, fell on hard times (either lost her job or a divorce), and ended up back home with her mom until she gets back on her feet. I'm her age and I know a lot of people that are living this exact scenario.

But I think Alecia needs to come up with another plan instead of moving her young family in to her toxic childhood home. She should look into subsidized housing/welfare or get an apartment or a trailer, move her mom in with her where the two of them could pool their incomes and work out a childcare/work schedule.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13859216

We don't know the exact story . . . my impression is that she's been there all along . . . what we DO know is that she's got two very young, innocent and sick childen whom she KNOWS are being exposed constantly to very, very dangerous conditions in that area.

Does she work? Is she on welfare?

Yes, a lot of young adults have had to move back home . . . hard times can happen to all ages.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13859216
United States
10/09/2012 12:33 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13859216

We don't know the exact story . . . my impression is that she's been there all along . . . what we DO know is that she's got two very young, innocent and sick childen whom she KNOWS are being exposed constantly to very, very dangerous conditions in that area.

Does she work? Is she on welfare?

Yes, a lot of young adults have had to move back home . . . hard times can happen to all ages.

According to a comment Alecia left in the comments section, it sounds like she works. She said she doesn't qualify for assistance and that she used her own money to move her family into a hotel for awhile, but it got too expensive.

But I completely agree with you she owes it to her kids to get the heck out of there before something even worse happens. She needs to find a cheap place to live and fast. Luckily, it sounds like she has a healthy, able bodied mom that can help out with the finances and childcare.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17681515
United States
10/09/2012 01:10 AM
Report Abusive Post

Oh Lord.... what a fucked up thing to say. And the people are responsible for themselves so who cares what BP does?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25190811
United States
10/09/2012 01:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
The Examiner author of all these
stories is either the only one
right or making the potential dangers
up.
She seems to be a huge flaming
liberal.
Here's her website.
[link to www.deborahdupre.com]

She wrote this one too.
Sinkhole aquifer gas pressure building to explosive concentrations?
If any truth to this allusion, it would
be big national news.
But she's the only one suggesting it.
People don't make things up and post
them to the Examiner site do they?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18022059
Australia
10/09/2012 01:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Make sure to pick up your Obama phone as you leave.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23367695
Canada
10/09/2012 01:55 AM
Report Abusive Post

tell that to the bankers & General Motors geez!

maybe just maybe there are some people would like to help her out...did you ever think of that? Maybe some of us here on planet earth like HELPING others.

could you get anymore heartless.

it takes a village...
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/09/2012 01:58 AM
Report Abusive Post

Oh Lord.... what a fucked up thing to say. And the people are responsible for themselves so who cares what BP does?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17681515

Oh please . . . use some logic.

BP is responsible for its part in the LA debacle, as is every entity responsible for what they have done and are doing . . .

BUT . . . every female who brings a child into this world is first and foremost responsible for the welfare of her child, and it is utterly reckless for anyone to willfully allow their children to be exposed to dangerous conditions, knowing they are sick. The fact that she knew the area was dangerous 9 years ago and is keeping her kids there is irresponsible.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/09/2012 02:05 AM
Report Abusive Post

tell that to the bankers & General Motors geez!

maybe just maybe there are some people would like to help her out...did you ever think of that? Maybe some of us here on planet earth like HELPING others.

could you get anymore heartless.

it takes a village...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23367695

NO, it does NOT and should NOT "take a village" . . . who the hell has the right to have sex, create a life, and bring that innocent child into this screwed up world with the selfish expectation that OTHERS are going to help raise it?

I'll tell you who has that right: NO ONE.

And like ALL close-minded people, you chose a certain part of my post to suit your own close-minded thinking -

Pay attention because I wrote this:

GLP