Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,062 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 384,628
Pageviews Today: 638,191Threads Today: 215Posts Today: 3,933
08:41 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

When SHTF weapon suggestions for close encounters.

Mrbillybadass
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 21031197
United States
10/09/2012 11:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
When SHTF weapon suggestions for close encounters.
Everyone can make suggestions. Now I know I'll get the "derp good luck getting that close to me when my ar-15 is pointed at ur head". Look if shit happened at points close encounters are inevitable at some point so make your suggestions, and why you like the weapons...I'll start out with 2.

IMAGE ( [link to 2.bp.blogspot.com] )

That badboy is the ball headed war club, and Cold steel makes an awesome one for 40 bucks. What I like about it whatever it hits it completely obliterates. If you get the ball on target whatever the person was blocking with would be useless after a strike from it. There are vids on youtube of people using some on concrete blocks ect ect. If you watch those vids it looks very inefficient in that it takes 2 hands, and has a ridiculous wind up. Quite simply the people have no effing idea what they're doing it's easily used in one hand all you have to do is put a quick twirl to get the power momentum going then strike the target. Yes has a bit of delay, and takes some time to recover after a strike so you would need choose your strikes wisely. As long as you make contact though it's over.

Next up

IMAGE ( [link to www.alljapankarate.com] )

That is a tonfa. Now what I like about it is it's flexibility you grip it with thumb up and it goes along the bottom side of your forearm. Now, because of it's design it's equally offensive and defensive how it lies along your forearm fits perfectly with your natural reaction to protect yourself with blocking with your forearm. It also allows for some interesting grips, and locks if one were so inclined but that's not really needed. Also the stub towards the top allows for quite a debilitating blow wherever it hits as, and on top of that the long end along with grip can allow for it to swing around for a baseball bat type strike which obviously very potent.

Personally I prefer blunt weapons in fight scenarios that are face to face. They may not have as high chance of instant kill, but if landing on whatever body part that part is pretty well done.

Now your turn GLPers, what you got for me?
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/09/2012 11:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: When SHTF weapon suggestions for close encounters.
Oh also forgot if you decide to take up the tonfa, my suggestion would be to practice it with your bad hand. Its much easier to get your weaker limb to block than to deliver a debilitating blow. Think like a baseball glove you train your bad hand to catch while your good hand throws. Also you could use your tonfa on your bad arm to work defense, while your attack weapon in your right hand for offense. Just some advice.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25246475
United States
10/09/2012 11:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
eat large amounts of beans
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/09/2012 11:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
eat large amounts of beans
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25246475

IMAGE ( [link to community.us.playstation.com] )
weasel keeper

User ID: 15395274
United States
10/09/2012 11:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mossberg model 500 12 GA 3" chamber, 24" slug barrel, pump action is 100% reliable at close or medium range, slugs will kill through body armour out to 150 Yds., buckshot is good to about 125 Yds.
Wild Weasels? You've got to be shitting me!
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/09/2012 11:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mossberg model 500 12 GA 3" chamber, 24" slug barrel, pump action is 100% reliable at close or medium range, slugs will kill through body armour out to 150 Yds., buckshot is good to about 125 Yds.
 Quoting: weasel keeper

Well went to guns fast...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23011194
United States
10/09/2012 11:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
can of bear spray beats multiple attackers.....
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/09/2012 11:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
can of bear spray beats multiple attackers.....
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23011194

mhmm...and when you run out what of the next attacker or situation? Also the fuck is with the one star?
Saucy Jack

User ID: 14697918
United States
10/09/2012 11:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Are you asking for a current inventory, inventory in storage within 45 minutes to a hour car ride (not busy roads), or ideal items?
Yeah, you are not gonna agree with me on a lot. Figured that out a long time ago.
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/10/2012 12:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
Are you asking for a current inventory, inventory in storage within 45 minutes to a hour car ride (not busy roads), or ideal items?
 Quoting: Saucy Jack

Ideal items something a person can look for and maybe start a little training with.
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/10/2012 12:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25150434
United States
10/10/2012 12:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
MaryAlananB

User ID: 24656618
United States
10/10/2012 12:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
Mossberg 500 with 18 inch barrel, easier to use in close quarters.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9510086
United States
10/10/2012 01:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
For a close encounter tool, that is probably the easiest question of all time. Either a good field knife or a tomahawk. This is coming from someone who is actually well trained on tonfas, kamas, nunchakus, sai, bo staff, you get the picture.

Whether in an urban emergency scenario or woodland survival scenario you're going to want the tool that can be doubled up to do other things such as build a shelter, start a fire, make other tools, etc. Also for the sake of combat, a knife has a better learning curve for effectiveness. Same with a tomahawk. Another thing to consider is getting around with that gear. Think about the food you will have to carry, water, sleeping bag or hammock, hygiene products, possible rifle and ammo. You need to consolidate it all as much as possible and in regards to a close range combat tool, you need something you can operate with even after having walked miles and you're tired and exhausted. If you choose to buy a knife, I have a soft spot for the kabars but there are a lot of great choices out there. I have a preference to the carbon steel because it stays sharper longer but you find what you can. Hope you find the right tool for your needs.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25237296
United States
10/10/2012 01:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
12ga flare gun

muhawhaha
WindyMind

User ID: 7244814
United States
10/10/2012 02:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
I thought you were talking about spaceships....close encounters......
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23579473
United States
10/10/2012 02:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nothing says I Mean Business like a good set of nun-chucks.
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/10/2012 08:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nothing says I Mean Business like a good set of nun-chucks.
 Quoting: ANHEDONIC

Can you use then very good?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 760472
Canada
10/10/2012 08:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
potato!
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/10/2012 08:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
For a close encounter tool, that is probably the easiest question of all time. Either a good field knife or a tomahawk. This is coming from someone who is actually well trained on tonfas, kamas, nunchakus, sai, bo staff, you get the picture.

Whether in an urban emergency scenario or woodland survival scenario you're going to want the tool that can be doubled up to do other things such as build a shelter, start a fire, make other tools, etc. Also for the sake of combat, a knife has a better learning curve for effectiveness. Same with a tomahawk. Another thing to consider is getting around with that gear. Think about the food you will have to carry, water, sleeping bag or hammock, hygiene products, possible rifle and ammo. You need to consolidate it all as much as possible and in regards to a close range combat tool, you need something you can operate with even after having walked miles and you're tired and exhausted. If you choose to buy a knife, I have a soft spot for the kabars but there are a lot of great choices out there. I have a preference to the carbon steel because it stays sharper longer but you find what you can. Hope you find the right tool for your needs.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9510086

I consider both weapons I've shown can be versatile while definitely not as much as a knife or tomahawk much can still be done with them. Look at native americans many of their weapons like the ball headed war club, and gunstock war club were used for a lot of things not just fighting. Also it wouldn't be hard to have a combination of all the above with holsters in the right place. Just my opinion though if you're choosing knife I would go with kukri. Thicker blade and it's design allows for cutting through thicker material as compared to a normal machete.
IMAGE ( [link to www.m4040.com] )
Kukri machete in case anyone was wondering.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25302924
United States
10/10/2012 08:44 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9510086

+1 good post

so rare to find good sensible advice in these type of threads
soldier32
User ID: 119873
United States
10/10/2012 09:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
I will have to go with the knife or Tomahawk as will. The Tomahawk you can hit someone with from a little distance if needed. And the fear facter of it will help a lot.

But I will always pick guns over all other, like AR-15, SHOTGUN, and hand guns.

AR-15 - Good for protiction from close to out to 300 yards and more.

Shotgun - Good for close.

Hand gun - Good for close. 9mm one of the most used ammo in the US. Easy to find.

22 rifle - This one would be used for hunting only, not so load and ammo very cheap. Also the #1 ammo sold in the US, so it will be a lot easyier to find if needed.

In the military we were always trained that if we must turn to are knifes and even are hand guns, we are in trouble, so keep that in mind, and try to keep enemies out at a distance. You need to spot them first, so always put your self in a position were you will.
REND
User ID: 17749104
United States
10/10/2012 09:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
13 inch survivor knife! No more needed!
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

User ID: 760726
United States
10/10/2012 09:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
I will have to go with the knife or Tomahawk as will. The Tomahawk you can hit someone with from a little distance if needed. And the fear facter of it will help a lot.

But I will always pick guns over all other, like AR-15, SHOTGUN, and hand guns.

AR-15 - Good for protiction from close to out to 300 yards and more.

Shotgun - Good for close.

Hand gun - Good for close. 9mm one of the most used ammo in the US. Easy to find.

22 rifle - This one would be used for hunting only, not so load and ammo very cheap. Also the #1 ammo sold in the US, so it will be a lot easyier to find if needed.

In the military we were always trained that if we must turn to are knifes and even are hand guns, we are in trouble, so keep that in mind, and try to keep enemies out at a distance. You need to spot them first, so always put your self in a position were you will.
 Quoting: soldier32 119873

See we talk about guns, I think a .22 is undervalued. It can reach long distances, and there will be by far more .22 ammo around than anything else. Doesn't matter the caliber of bullet, it matters the placement. Just my personal opinion.
Saucy Jack

User ID: 14697918
United States
10/10/2012 09:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for a spear or a glaive (or hewing-spear as the Scandinavians called them). Not as practical, but lots of reach for a mid-length weapon, and easy learning curve. Used properly, a glaive or spear will keep an individual with a machete or club outside of striking distance.
Once you are inside that range, more utilitarian items come up, like the machete, francisca , or tomahawk. The last two, of course, being balanced for throwing.
Yeah, you are not gonna agree with me on a lot. Figured that out a long time ago.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22301087
United States
10/10/2012 09:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nearly anything can be used as a weapon, if you have the mindfullness to use it.

The best defense is your mental preparation. It is best summed up as follows.

Be polite to everyone you meet ....and have a plan to kill them.
Conspiracy Theorist

User ID: 8962305
United States
10/10/2012 09:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
Zombietools.com
Codetwister

User ID: 25305153
Canada
10/10/2012 10:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
I like this thread.

I keep multiple weapons both on hand, and in various locations nearby - within a 1 hour walking distance, which for me is approx. 8-10Km radius.

While I do NOT feel comfortable disclosing the contents of my stock - its a security thing, we know this forum is watched - My suggestion? Watch some videos of some of the armaments already mentioned IN ACTION, and make a decision on what you think will work best for you.

My point here is that, for example, a spikey war club might be an ideal melee weapon for a larger man, a man who is smaller in stature might want to opt with a standard wooden baseball bat with lots o' nails in its sweetspot.

Don't oversell your weapon of choice. What works for one person is completely inappropriate for another.
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/10/2012 10:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
Zombietools.com
 Quoting: Conspiracy Theorist

They do have some high quality stuff...fairly pricey though, and some of their designs are unnecessary. I do love their "The Phalanx" would love to get my hands on it at some point.
Mrbillybadass  (OP)

United States
10/10/2012 10:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
I like this thread.

I keep multiple weapons both on hand, and in various locations nearby - within a 1 hour walking distance, which for me is approx. 8-10Km radius.

While I do NOT feel comfortable disclosing the contents of my stock - its a security thing, we know this forum is watched - My suggestion? Watch some videos of some of the armaments already mentioned IN ACTION, and make a decision on what you think will work best for you.

My point here is that, for example, a spikey war club might be an ideal melee weapon for a larger man, a man who is smaller in stature might want to opt with a standard wooden baseball bat with lots o' nails in its sweetspot.

Don't oversell your weapon of choice. What works for one person is completely inappropriate for another.
 Quoting: Codetwister

Thank you, and too true with your last comment. Many here I'm sure have never messed with anything hand to hand (it's all guns guns guns here). So this thread is just to give them idea's on various weapons and what to expect from them.
Lady Jane SmithModerator
Forum Administrator

User ID: 19147018
United States
10/10/2012 10:12 AM

Report Abusive Post

Last Edited by LJS on 10/10/2012 04:04 PM
Fate whispers to the warrior

"You cannot withstand the storm"

the warrior whispers back

"I am the storm"

INTJ-A

Killer Bunny

GLP