Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,100 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 608,717
Pageviews Today: 1,055,133Threads Today: 439Posts Today: 7,386
12:52 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Why do some people constantly tell fake stories?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25265949
Singapore
10/10/2012 08:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Why do some people constantly tell fake stories?
What are the reasons for people telling stories and lies? I know someone who would always lie. I'm not talking about a white lie either. I'm talking about anything from a big, fat lie to make an excuse for something, such as "Oh.. I can't make it in to work today. My uncle Red passed away last night", when really they were just lazy. Or make up a story that they got in a car accident or something.

Then I've heard them make up stories just for the hell of it, without any reason. My dad knows Steve Jobs and he used to work for Apple company in California.

Why do people feel the need to make up pretend stories and tell major lies for an excuse?

Is it for attention?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 25265949
Singapore
10/10/2012 08:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Why do some people constantly tell fake stories?
But why do they feel the need to be a pathological liar? Generally, many people are so good at it, you'd never know they were lying unless you really looked in to it. How do you counsel people who are pathological liar? Is this something involving their childhood, and how they were raised?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25302189
United States
10/10/2012 09:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
I had a co worker who was a serious pathological liar.....she ws nuts she lied about everything. One time she said her uncle passed away and she brought it the obituary for everyone to read, well what she didnt know that the guy who was her "uncle" was the father of a coworker in another department. He called her bluff and she quit her job. Sometimes I think she lied because her real life was really boring other times I was convinced she had a mental illness. I saw this chick at Target last week and she told me her mother was missing and possibly murdered which I am thinking is ofcourse is another fabricated story.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19522050
United States
10/10/2012 09:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
telling stories means you are tapping into parallel universe realities
AtsuiPanda

User ID: 16510251
United States
10/10/2012 09:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
One time i went to mars and smoked alien weed it was purple!

True story.
:/sdfhasdfshasd/:
Those who live by the sword die by the sword, those who don't live by the sword are subject to those who do.
Thor's Hamster

User ID: 1248699
United States
10/10/2012 09:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
One time i went to mars and smoked alien weed it was purple!

True story.
 Quoting: AtsuiPanda

chuckle
Apollo astronauts couldn't have passed through Van Allen's Belt. Van Allen wore suspenders.
Thor's Hamster

United States
10/10/2012 09:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
Reminds me of this...

[link to www.youtube.com]

The pay-off line starts at 1:34.
Apollo astronauts couldn't have passed through Van Allen's Belt. Van Allen wore suspenders.
Thor's Hamster

United States
10/10/2012 09:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Reminds me of this...

[link to www.youtube.com]

The pay-off line starts at 1:34.
 Quoting: Thor's Hamster

Oops, here it is embedded...

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22054163
United States
10/10/2012 09:22 AM
Report Abusive Post

It has become a real problem in the work place and cost many their jobs for it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6870905
United States
10/10/2012 12:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

It has become a real problem in the work place and cost many their jobs for it.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22054163

Really ?
****SUPERFLY****

User ID: 19055858
United States
10/10/2012 12:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
What are the reasons for people telling stories and lies? I know someone who would always lie. I'm not talking about a white lie either. I'm talking about anything from a big, fat lie to make an excuse for something, such as "Oh.. I can't make it in to work today. My uncle Red passed away last night", when really they were just lazy. Or make up a story that they got in a car accident or something.

Then I've heard them make up stories just for the hell of it, without any reason. My dad knows Steve Jobs and he used to work for Apple company in California.

Why do people feel the need to make up pretend stories and tell major lies for an excuse?

Is it for attention?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25265949

We have been taught to lie from the get go....remember your parents telling you of the STORK BRINGING BABIES INTO THE WORLD. Humans are bad with the truth!
Apparatiyg
User ID: 25047532
United States
10/10/2012 01:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes, this is true, how many times I've seen groups of people who were defending their collective lie at any price to save their deep denial in which they were all involved. This lie is the collective binder or cement concerve group liar
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25307671
United States
10/10/2012 01:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes, this is true, how many times I've seen groups of people who were defending their collective lie at any price to save their deep denial in which they were all involved. This lie is the collective binder or cement concerve group liar
 Quoting: Apparatiyg 25047532

correct

we blow out the candles on our birthday

ever wonder why that is

its also amazing how people who have never had true suffering think the lies that they perpetuate are not recorded

LOL is what i say them

all is seen and recorded
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25313958
Morocco
10/10/2012 01:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Are you serious asking this question on this site? cruise

Just look at some of the most fantastic B/S posted on here.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if this is just the daily hang out for the mentally ill.

Reason I come here. Well it beats television. chuckle
waterman

User ID: 23920911
United States
10/10/2012 01:39 PM

Report Abusive Post

Is it for attention?

Hi my names is Darwin Stevens and I'm a member of pathological liars anonymous..well actually I'm the president...yeah president of that organization
There are meetings at my house at the north pole. The meetings start at 6 a.m..yeah that's the time 6 a.m. I cured everyone at the meeting so there are no longer any meetings but I still have my membership card.
-Heed the warning or endure the mourning
Favor ain't fair
BRIEF

User ID: 381742
United States
10/10/2012 01:44 PM

Report Abusive Post
I've never been good at telling lies, so I just stick with the truth...half the time people won't believe you anyway, so why lie?
I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12195955
United States
10/10/2012 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Lying is the act of both knowingly and intentionally/willfully making a false statement.[4] Most people do so out of fear.[5] Pathological lying is considered a mental illness, because it takes over rational judgement and progresses into the fantasy world and back.[6]

Excessive lying is a common symptom of several mental illnesses. For instance people who suffer from antisocial personality disorder use lying to benefit from others. Some individuals with borderline personality disorder lie for attention by claiming they’ve been treated poorly. [7] Pathological lying, on the other hand, can be described as an addiction to lying. It is when an individual consistently lies for no personal gain. The lies are commonly transparent and often seem rather pointless.[8]

There are many consequences of being a pathological liar. Due to lack of trust, most pathological liars' relationships and friendships fail. If the disease continues to progress, lying could become so severe as to cause legal problems, including but not limited to fraud.[9]

[link to en.wikipedia.org]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24545480
United States
10/10/2012 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Take a look at all of the posts on this site. "Role Play" - just another term for lying.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25075805
Australia
10/10/2012 01:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
What you mean why are people liars?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25292832
United States
10/10/2012 02:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
But why do they feel the need to be a pathological liar? Generally, many people are so good at it, you'd never know they were lying unless you really looked in to it. How do you counsel people who are pathological liar? Is this something involving their childhood, and how they were raised?

It's their form of escape. In lying, they live a life that they want to live, not the one they're living.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/10/2012 02:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

It's their form of escape. In lying, they live a life that they want to live, not the one they're living.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25292832

yes, but they are separated from the rest of humanity, it looks like a sinking ship slowly but surely. Why?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1109033
United States
10/10/2012 02:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19522050

interesting concept...completely insane obviously, but creative at least
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24365842
United States
10/10/2012 02:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
i met a girl when i moved to a new town and slowly realized that she was a pathological liar. she told me that she visited her grandparents to help care for them almost every day. about a month later, she casually mentioned her grandparents being deceased. she also told me she had bipolar and was in talks for getting a TLC style show where she receives a new kind of treatment. and i got to be in it, since we were like omg friends!

she was generally a nice girl, a little nuts but she never told a hurtful lie so we hung out for a while. it got a little tiresome, though, and we stopped talking.

her dad was an ass and her mom was batty so i guess she just made up the life she really wanted.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/10/2012 02:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
i met a girl when i moved to a new town and slowly realized that she was a pathological liar. she told me that she visited her grandparents to help care for them almost every day. about a month later, she casually mentioned her grandparents being deceased. she also told me she had bipolar and was in talks for getting a TLC style show where she receives a new kind of treatment. and i got to be in it, since we were like omg friends!

she was generally a nice girl, a little nuts but she never told a hurtful lie so we hung out for a while. it got a little tiresome, though, and we stopped talking.

her dad was an ass and her mom was batty so i guess she just made up the life she really wanted.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24365842

or when the autopilot clones trying to make a breakthrough in the creative process poor
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14779720
United States
10/10/2012 02:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1109033

Insane, maybe. But 100% true. ohyeah
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1109033
United States
10/10/2012 02:54 PM
Report Abusive Post

Insane, maybe. But 100% true. ohyeah
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14779720

you have the crazies as well i see. congrats on that...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14779720
United States
10/10/2012 02:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
you have the crazies as well i see. congrats on that...

I don't know about "the crazies", but I AM known for being incredibly open-minded and having a kick-ass sense of humor

Goofy Thum
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25308414
South Africa
10/10/2012 03:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's a christian thing. They're sold a lie and then feel it's their duty to lie to everyone else about it. Odd...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25025649
United Kingdom
10/10/2012 03:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
It is the mark of an educated man who can entertain a thought without accepting it - (aristotle)

A wise dude.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12195955
United States
10/10/2012 03:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
As many people lie frequently, PF [pathological lying] cannot be identified on the basis of excessive lying alone, but the qualitative nature of the pseudologue’s lies is
also quite distinct (cf. King & Ford, 1988; Weston, 1996; Wiersma, 1933). While the theme of lies can be stereotyped or varied in nature (Deutsch, 1922/1982), they are almost always dazzling or fantastical, and often develop into a complicated system of deception. The imaginative fluency of the lies tends to capture public attention, at least in the short term. The lies must keep a certain reference to reality, and though they are often unlikely, they are not beyond the realm of possibility (e.g., ‘I communicate with
aliens
’) (cf. Sharrock & Cresswell, 1989; Snyder, 1986). Under close scrutiny the lies can often be easily discredited, and for this reason the lying in PF is frequently noted to be destructive to the liar (cf. Akimoto, 1997; Hardie & Reed, 1998; Healy & Healy, 1915).

[link to psicodiagnosticoudla.files.wordpress.com]

Describes so many people/threads on GLP...

also, check out this thread:

[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]

some pretty amazing "people watching" at GLP, although in general I think it has damaged my faith in humanity...

popcorn
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22155757
United States
10/10/2012 03:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
My mom lied about santa claus.

GLP