Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,046 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,344,890
Pageviews Today: 1,841,951Threads Today: 472Posts Today: 7,889
02:36 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Bloomberg's "Bombshell" Report--Food Sickens Millions as Industry-Paid Inspectors Find It Safe

KoFFee_
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 1373078
United States
10/12/2012 08:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Bloomberg's "Bombshell" Report--Food Sickens Millions as Industry-Paid Inspectors Find It Safe
Lack of regulation in our food industry has cost many unnecessary deaths.

Underfunded FDA, in order to save money and cut costs, hires a third party to test our food supply in a cheaper way--in other words, they really aren't doing any significant testing.

snip

William Beach loved cantaloupe -- so much so that starting in June last year he ate it almost every day. By August, the 87-year-old retired tractor mechanic from Mustang, Oklahoma, was complaining to his family that he was fatigued, with pain everywhere in his body.

On Sept. 1, 2011, Beach got out of bed in the middle of the night, put his clothes on and walked into the living room. His wife, Monette, found him collapsed on the floor in the morning. At the hospital, blood poured from his mouth and nose, splattering sheets, bed rails and physicians.

He died that night, a victim of Listeria monocytogenes, a bacterium that can lead to a blood infection and damage to the brain and spinal cord, Bloomberg Markets magazine reports in its November issue.

Beach was one of 33 people killed by listeria that was later traced by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and state officials to contaminated cantaloupes from one Colorado farm. It was the deadliest outbreak of foodborne disease in the U.S. in almost 100 years.

During the past two decades, the food industry has taken over much of the FDA’s role in ensuring that what Americans eat is safe. The agency can’t come close to vetting its jurisdiction of $1.2 trillion in annual food sales.

The food industry hires for-profit inspection companies -- known as third-party auditors -- who aren’t required by law to meet any federal standards and have no government supervision.

Read more here:
[link to www.bloomberg.com]

Last Edited by KoFFee_ on 10/12/2012 10:07 AM
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task
the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace. Acts 20:24

"This man really is the Savior of the world!" John 4:42

Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him;
and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.
I am the Alpha and the Omega, " says the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:7
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 08:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Bloomberg's "Bombshell" Report--Food Sickens Millions as Industry-Paid Inspectors Find It Safe
Here's How The Deadliest US Outbreak Of Foodborne Disease In Nearly 100 Years Spread

Read more:
[link to www.businessinsider.com]
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task
the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace. Acts 20:24

Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him;
and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.
I am the Alpha and the Omega, " says the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:7
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 08:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Bloomberg's "Bombshell" Report--Food Sickens Millions as Industry-Paid Inspectors Find It Safe
Our government at work:

Article dated 6/16/11

House Republicans vote to cut funds to implement food safety law

Arguing that the U.S. food supply is 99 percent safe, House Republicans cut millions of dollars Thursday from the Food and Drug Administration’s budget, denying the agency money to implement landmark food safety laws approved by the last Congress.

Saying the cuts were needed to lower the national deficit, the House also reduced funding to the Agriculture Department’s food safety inspection service, which oversees meat, poultry and some egg products.
And lawmakers chopped $832 million from an emergency feeding program for poor mothers, infants and children. Hunger groups said that change would deny emergency nutrition to about 325,000 mothers and children.

[link to www.washingtonpost.com]

KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 08:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Doug Powell, a professor of food safety at Kansas State University, told Bloomberg:

The outbreaks we’re seeing are endless. You need to be in a culture that takes food safety seriously. Right now, what we have is hidden. The third-party auditor stickers and certificates are meaningless.

Read more:
[link to blisstree.com]

Serendipity
User ID: 24942595
United States
10/12/2012 08:55 AM
Report Abusive Post

Underfunded FDA, in order to save money and cut costs, hires a third party to test our food supply in a cheaper way--in other words, they really aren't doing any significant testing.

snip

William Beach loved cantaloupe -- so much so that starting in June last year he ate it almost every day. By August, the 87-year-old retired tractor mechanic from Mustang, Oklahoma, was complaining to his family that he was fatigued, with pain everywhere in his body.

On Sept. 1, 2011, Beach got out of bed in the middle of the night, put his clothes on and walked into the living room. His wife, Monette, found him collapsed on the floor in the morning. At the hospital, blood poured from his mouth and nose, splattering sheets, bed rails and physicians.

He died that night, a victim of Listeria monocytogenes, a bacterium that can lead to a blood infection and damage to the brain and spinal cord, Bloomberg Markets magazine reports in its November issue.

Beach was one of 33 people killed by listeria that was later traced by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and state officials to contaminated cantaloupes from one Colorado farm. It was the deadliest outbreak of foodborne disease in the U.S. in almost 100 years.

During the past two decades, the food industry has taken over much of the FDA’s role in ensuring that what Americans eat is safe. The agency can’t come close to vetting its jurisdiction of $1.2 trillion in annual food sales.

The food industry hires for-profit inspection companies -- known as third-party auditors -- who aren’t required by law to meet any federal standards and have no government supervision.

Read more here:
 Quoting: KoFFee_

We pay a horde of Federal Employees AND a contractor to do the work. And we are still at risk.

We need to fire EVERYBODY in Washington. Not just the politicians.

We need to end all outside Government Contracts. If we can't do it in-house, it can't be done.
DeathManGuy

User ID: 24749165
United States
10/12/2012 09:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the link +1 karma for you
My life is not my own
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 10:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
As food recalls mount, White House still lingering over new safety rules

Families who’ve lost loved ones to food-borne illnesses have watched with alarm in recent months as producers have recalled mangoes, cantaloupe, ricotta cheese, dog food and peanut butter after people were sickened by the tainted goods.
A landmark food safety law passed nearly two years ago was supposed to help curtail such outbreaks. But the Obama administration has yet to issue the final rules that will give the Food and Drug Administration more authority over food producers.

Read more here:
[link to www.heraldonline.com]

KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 10:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the link +1 karma for you
 Quoting: DeathManGuy

hf

Requiemdream

User ID: 25432822
United States
10/12/2012 03:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

snip

Read more here:

This needs a MEGA PIN for education! The artical is a real eye opener! Nice catch! PIN PIN PINohyeah
kitty
Perpetually dumbfounded.

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more." C.S. Lewis

“Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break hearts.”
Tim Minchin
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 04:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Might as well add this recall I just noticed today:

Bagged Salad Recalled by Fresh Express in U.S. & Canada

Fresh Express brand Hearts of Romaine bagged salad is now being recalled in both the U.S. and Canada for possible Salmonella contamination.

No illnesses have yet been associated with the bagged salads.

Check for more info here:

[link to www.foodsafetynews.com]

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4727082
United States
10/12/2012 04:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
5 starred and +1 for you, OP.
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 04:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Boudicca

Thanks!

and Thanks for the pin!

hf

Anonymous Coward
United States
10/12/2012 04:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Boudicca

Thanks!

and Thanks for the pin!

hf

Wish I could take credit, alas, it wasn't me!
*trying to save up for a membership.
hf
Pa resident1

User ID: 25278920
United States
10/12/2012 04:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
I am just wondering if some of this food contamination is from someone purposely doing this.

bump
"When you don't keep your word, you lose credibility and trustworthy friends"
TeamReaper

User ID: 22030141
United States
10/12/2012 04:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
better call the UN, perhaps they have better standards!

can already see where this is going
In every operation, whether planning it or executing it, you can never count on luck; but you have to accept it, and recognize it when it’s there.
-Major ******, U-2 Pilot/Instructor/Flight Commander
7777StarBorn

User ID: 25449180
United States
10/12/2012 05:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
THANKS KoFFee!
GREAT INFORMATION!
THAT IS WHAT GLP SHOULD BE ABOUT!!!
YOU HAVE ADDED TO ALL OF OUR LIVES!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3923164
United States
10/12/2012 05:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
How come every time "they" declare a war on something or create a million bureaucracies to defend against something or other, the problem they were intended to fix, becomes worse?

Every fucking time.

It's almost like it's supposed to be that way.
newu4eah

User ID: 22140617
United States
10/12/2012 05:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
I went in Subway the other night and asked for a meatball sub and the guy said their mirinara sauce had been recalled. I asked if it was all Subways and he said it was all the ones in the area and wasn't sure about the rest of the US. He said he didn't know what the recall was about.
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 05:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
THANKS KoFFee!
GREAT INFORMATION!
THAT IS WHAT GLP SHOULD BE ABOUT!!!
YOU HAVE ADDED TO ALL OF OUR LIVES!
 Quoting: 7777StarBorn

Awwww,

:ty31:

LOL
User ID: 25450028
United States
10/12/2012 05:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
33 people, eh?

OK, this story is real. (NOT!)
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 05:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
I went in Subway the other night and asked for a meatball sub and the guy said their mirinara sauce had been recalled. I asked if it was all Subways and he said it was all the ones in the area and wasn't sure about the rest of the US. He said he didn't know what the recall was about.
 Quoting: newu4eah

Yes, I noticed numerous articles on the web stating the same, but I have not found a reason why......yet. If I do, I will post it.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16213727
United States
10/12/2012 05:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm glad they haven't recalled liquor yet. Its after 5 here and I need a drink!cheers
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/12/2012 05:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to eatocracy.cnn.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/12/2012 05:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4727082

Kellogg's recalls mini-wheats due to flexible mesh wire somehow getting mixed up in the cereal.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/12/2012 05:21 PM
Report Abusive Post

Fast Food Workers Reveal The Menu Items You Should Stay Away From
This is just appalling. Nice that the bean burrito's at taco bell are mostly dehydrated oats.
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 05:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

Fast Food Workers Reveal The Menu Items You Should Stay Away From
This is just appalling. Nice that the bean burrito's at taco bell are mostly dehydrated oats.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4727082

Disgusting, but a good find! Thanks!

hf

KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/12/2012 06:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
While in my twenties, I worked in an extremely busy, well-known Chinese restaurant that, at times, had a problem with rats.
I was threatened by one of the cooks, as he was holding a meat cleaver in his hand, to keep my mouth shout.

Not too long after a fellow co-worker and I found a dead rat on the vegetables, did the restaurant close down for health code violations.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25223854
Poland
10/12/2012 06:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
If you raise chickens, cows and pigs in worse conditions than slaves on a slave ship, is it any surprise the food might go bad?

Plus they are fed GMO's here is what happens to mammals that eat GMO all their life:

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25223854
Poland
10/12/2012 06:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
If you raise chickens, cows and pigs in worse conditions than slaves on a slave ship, is it any surprise the food might go bad?

Plus they are fed GMO's here is what happens to mammals that eat GMO all their life:

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25223854

Lets try the link again. Fingers crossed.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16845676
United States
10/12/2012 06:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
between the vaccines and food we aredamned
good post
Light to Go

User ID: 8545334
United States
10/12/2012 06:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Glad to see some recognition in MSM and from Bloomberg about this ongoing problem.
Untroubled, Scornful, Outrageous-That is how Wisdom wants us to be!
White Genocide: 1900AD @ 35% - Today less than 8% of the earth's population
Sophia's Correction

GLP