I QUIT SMOKING , YOU CAN TOO. I QUIT SEPT 27, 2012, SUPPORT EACH OTHER HERE

oneLOVEsoulJAH

User ID: 26915578
United States
03/03/2013 02:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: I QUIT SMOKING , YOU CAN TOO. I QUIT SEPT 27, 2012, SUPPORT EACH OTHER HERE
Hi everyone, I was surfing the web for inspiration (and checking out e-cigs to determine whether or not they are a viable help tool for getting off the regular smoking habit) and found this resource at Discovery Health.

[link to health.howstuffworks.com]

It seems that some med-types have seen group quitting as more effective than for those who go it alone!
 Quoting: Hopeless

I had an e-cig at the ready when I quit among my other tools like herbs, cherry juice, cranberry juice and Bollywood movies.

I gave myself permission to use it to quit because I read the same literature. And to tell you the truth it didn't taste so good to me so I figured I wouldn't get hooked on that form of nicotine delivery.

So on the day I quit I used it once, and I lost it - who knows where, it just disappeared. Which is a message from my self to my self - go full steam forward cold turkey. And for me, it has worked out to be the best way.

Now what I did find that really works for me to this day with cravings is a homeopathic called Stop-It!. These have been working when I am stressed out or engaging with the world and its high drama around me. I found them on vitacost. I am getting to the point now 60+ days later that I even forget the homeopathic's for most of the day - unless I get stressed.

Whatever you choose to do - the most important is to put the cigarettes down... that's the vital first step.

oneLOVE

soulJAH
oneLOVEsoulJAH

United States
03/03/2013 02:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
A check in...

I thought I would be cleansing my blood, liver, lungs and kidneys when I first quit smoking. But it seems my body needed 60 days to regulate itself before it gave me the inner knowings that it was time to cleanse.

So I begin the cleansing phase of my temple today with herbs, juicing veggie juices, pure organic cranberry juice, Kombucha drink, dry skin brushing and colonics. As I do not eat meat and because I have episodes of low blood sugar around toxic people or those who drain me energetically - I will not be fasting.

All of these methods can be researched online and you can find out what resonates with you and not. I share such personal information to inspire. Keep thy temple clean and your light will shine brightly.

oneLOVE

soulJAH
Desert Fox  (OP)

User ID: 8786935
United States
03/03/2013 02:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hi everyone, I was surfing the web for inspiration (and checking out e-cigs to determine whether or not they are a viable help tool for getting off the regular smoking habit) and found this resource at Discovery Health.

[link to health.howstuffworks.com]

It seems that some med-types have seen group quitting as more effective than for those who go it alone!

My point and desire, when starting this thread....DF
:TOMABANEFOX:
It's more humane this way ya know, or burn on totem pole. Choice is yours.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21291600
United States
03/03/2013 04:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
A check in...

I thought I would be cleansing my blood, liver, lungs and kidneys when I first quit smoking. But it seems my body needed 60 days to regulate itself before it gave me the inner knowings that it was time to cleanse.

So I begin the cleansing phase of my temple today with herbs, juicing veggie juices, pure organic cranberry juice, Kombucha drink, dry skin brushing and colonics. As I do not eat meat and because I have episodes of low blood sugar around toxic people or those who drain me energetically - I will not be fasting.

All of these methods can be researched online and you can find out what resonates with you and not. I share such personal information to inspire. Keep thy temple clean and your light will shine brightly.

oneLOVE

soulJAH
 Quoting: oneLOVEsoulJAH

great idea. i'm doing that tomorrow. gonna purposely sweat tonight. then skin scrubs tomorrow. using Triphala to cleanse gut and liver. then rigorous work outs every day except sabbath days for me until whenever...
oneLOVEsoulJAH

United States
03/03/2013 05:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
A check in...

oneLOVE

soulJAH
 Quoting: oneLOVEsoulJAH

great idea. i'm doing that tomorrow. gonna purposely sweat tonight. then skin scrubs tomorrow. using Triphala to cleanse gut and liver. then rigorous work outs every day except sabbath days for me until whenever...
 Quoting: Salt

bumpapplausecheerhfcheerapplausebump
Riggsalent

User ID: 2393176
United States
03/03/2013 09:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Day 161. Damn looks like I might have this smoking crap beat!
Sometimes it's hard when I smell it but I will not let myself go back. It's been a whirlwind in my life lately and I haven't had time to be on the internet much. Had an x-ray of my chest the other day and it was clear and looked healthy. Took a breathing test and was told I have the lungs of a 46 year old (I'm still 38) but I didn't have any thing to check against so I will use this info in the future to see if I am improving so that I can be around a little longer for my boys. Been learning to deal with life better every day, believe me there have been some real curve balls lately. Well, keep on quitting peeps!
I'm Down, Are You?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24537691
Canada
03/03/2013 10:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Day 1 almost over, made it without going crazy.
Actually wasn't so bad.
Just a little fuzzy in the head at times.

Read the entire Allen Carr Easyway book today.

Turns out my symbol for rebellion from my youth was actually my slave master for many years. Who knew?

My lungs are thanking me....
I'm thanking all of you for the inspiration and encouragement.

One day at a time.

peace
Desert Fox  (OP)

United States
03/03/2013 11:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Actually wasn't so bad.

Turns out my symbol for rebellion from my youth was actually my slave master for many years. Who knew?

One day at a time.

peace
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24537691

Welcome, one day at a time is the way it is done, even on hour at a time. Hang in, you can win this. hf DF
Desert Fox  (OP)

United States
03/03/2013 11:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Sometimes it's hard when I smell it but I will not let myself go back. It's been a whirlwind in my life lately and I haven't had time to be on the internet much. Had an x-ray of my chest the other day and it was clear and looked healthy. Took a breathing test and was told I have the lungs of a 46 year old (I'm still 38) but I didn't have any thing to check against so I will use this info in the future to see if I am improving so that I can be around a little longer for my boys. Been learning to deal with life better every day, believe me there have been some real curve balls lately. Well, keep on quitting peeps!
 Quoting: Riggsalent

You have made it, congratulations to you from all of us. This is the kind of update we dream of. I mean that. hf DF
Hawk-02
Hawk-o-holic

User ID: 897951
United States
03/04/2013 07:49 AM

Report Abusive Post
Actually wasn't so bad.

One day at a time.

peace
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24537691

Congrats! First say is one of the hardest.... and most important and you made it! No looking back now. Day 29 here for me....really sarting to feel good.

WE CAN DO IT.
Pickle Suprise!
Hawk-02
Hawk-o-holic

United States
03/04/2013 07:58 AM

Report Abusive Post

I say, I say you do have this smoking crap BEAT! GREAT WORK!! And you are an inspiration!
Pickle Suprise!
BxMac

User ID: 18472095
United States
03/04/2013 11:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Canada Anon 691 - Day Two for you this morning! A new day. Huge.

You're so right about the slavery. Each moment you keep the smokes down -you're not giving-up the smokes, you're putting those toxic sticks down - you're free.

Physical, Emotional, Spiritual, Financial, Freedom.

A new ballgame without the yoke and rigid rules of addiction.

You are not alone and there are many here to walk each step of the way with you. Together we can do what we can't do alone.

Congratulations. So happy for you as you start day two.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 628775
Canada
03/04/2013 11:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
K, quitting on my day off was bearable, today I'm back to work with all the pressures and triggers to smoke.

Any advice to help stay strong and avoid failing?

Day 2, my chest finally stopped being painful when I breathe, but it's still tight.
Why would I ever want to go back to using killer sticks.
I need to win this battle, once and for all.

You guys are my inspiration.

Any tips on how to ride the wave of desire for a smoke?

I will not give in, i will not give in, i will not give in.

Sorry, I'm rambling, but my brain is a little foggy and I'm fighting a desire to light up.

Cold turkey has got me on the run.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34253287
United States
03/04/2013 11:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
Day six.

I fell off yesterday after my husband brought me a cigarette and the ashtray as a reward for doing so well with quitting smoking. I know he meant well but it really disturbed me.

Why would anyone want to reward someone for doing a good job at quitting smoking by offering them a cigarette?

I let that bit of weirdness defeat my determination to refuse.

Today is now day one again. Sheesh.

It makes me feel better when I read all of your posts and progress.

grouphug
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/04/2013 11:23 AM
Report Abusive Post

Wow! Congratulations! Yee-ha!
Anonymous Coward
Canada
03/04/2013 11:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Day six.

I fell off yesterday after my husband brought me a cigarette and the ashtray as a reward for doing so well with quitting smoking. I know he meant well but it really disturbed me.

Why would anyone want to reward someone for doing a good job at quitting smoking by offering them a cigarette?

grouphug

Wow that is disturbing.

Sabotaging all the hard work you have done thus far.
Does hubby still smoke? Is he afraid of losing his smoking companion?
I don't get it.

It 's hard to get through the nicotine withdrawal, it's only day 2 for me but I figure if I can get past the initial withdrawal then half the battle is won.
Today is tough.

Good luck on the next few days. Tell hubby not to reward you with a cig, try a nice dinner out instead.

hf
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/04/2013 11:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
ok, so i realize that at this two month mark, the stuff i am struggling with must fall under the psychological category. i find myself dealing with cravings, but they are more of the "what do i do with my hands now" and the "i need something to fill this gap in time"

i actually daydreamed of buying an E-cig

God help me

anyway, i am here, i am smoke free, and i survived a weekend of not having any idea of what to do with my hands/mouth/lungs now...
BxMac

United States
03/04/2013 11:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Canada - Day two at work is tough. If your work allows, take a walk and buy some Cranberry juice. The juice offsets cravings by addressing the drops of blood sugar levels tethered to withdrawl. The juice really works. In addition, a walk is a great help. Move a muscle, change a thought. You can do this. You are doing this. You're 36 hours in and halfway through to the end of physical withdrawl.

And while Lennon knew a lot of things ("cold turkey got me on the run"), he didn't know you and your heart. You will do this.

If I recall correctly, you said you smoked 30 years. I relate. I smoked 40 years (like a chimney in North Jersey) and never thought I'd be able to quit. But I did. You will too. You deserve this.

When you return home this evening smoke-free, you will know a sense of self-esteem and freedom not known to you for 30 years related to the smokes. You will feel ten foot tall and bullet proof. Because you went thought the shit and didn't pick-up a smoke. You can do this.

Come to the thread throughout the day so you know you're not alone. We're all pulling for you.

Even if your ass falls off today, don't pick-up a smoke.

You can do this. You are doing this.

Pulling for you.
BxMac

United States
03/04/2013 12:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Salt, If there is anyone I know can do this, it is you. It is the mind now. And you, of all people, are so much bigger than your mind.

Exercise today (I hope yesterday's physical discomfort has passed) and a lot of water.

Great faith in knowing this too shall pass.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/04/2013 12:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Salt, If there is anyone I know can do this, it is you. It is the mind now. And you, of all people, are so much bigger than your mind.

Exercise today (I hope yesterday's physical discomfort has passed) and a lot of water.

Great faith in knowing this too shall pass.
 Quoting: BxMac

hf
Anonymous Coward
Canada
03/04/2013 12:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Canada - Day two at work is tough. If your work allows, take a walk and buy some Cranberry juice. The juice offsets cravings by addressing the drops of blood sugar levels tethered to withdrawl. The juice really works. In addition, a walk is a great help. Move a muscle, change a thought. You can do this. You are doing this. You're 36 hours in and halfway through to the end of physical withdrawl.

And while Lennon knew a lot of things ("cold turkey got me on the run"), he didn't know you and your heart. You will do this.

If I recall correctly, you said you smoked 30 years. I relate. I smoked 40 years (like a chimney in North Jersey) and never thought I'd be able to quit. But I did. You will too. You deserve this.

When you return home this evening smoke-free, you will know a sense of self-esteem and freedom not known to you for 30 years related to the smokes. You will feel ten foot tall and bullet proof. Because you went thought the shit and didn't pick-up a smoke. You can do this.

Come to the thread throughout the day so you know you're not alone. We're all pulling for you.

Even if your ass falls off today, don't pick-up a smoke.

You can do this. You are doing this.

Pulling for you.
 Quoting: BxMac

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I do not want to smoke, will try cranberry juice tonight, nowhere around work to get it.

the only thing keeping me going is the whole slave thing.
Admitting I have been a slave not a rebel is huge for me.

I will not smoke, i will not give in to the cravings.
Trying to ride the crave wave and land on the other side of it intact with no ciggie in my mouth.

Day 2 is harder than day 1.
I just want to be free.

Sorry if it seems I am rambling, I think not smoking has impaired my thinking.
I almost feel drunk , my head is fuzzy, no concentration.

How long till the nicotine leaves my body?

I can do this, your help and support means more than you know.

Thanks for listening.

peace
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/04/2013 12:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Day six.

grouphug

Wow that is disturbing.

Sabotaging all the hard work you have done thus far.
Does hubby still smoke? Is he afraid of losing his smoking companion?
I don't get it.

It 's hard to get through the nicotine withdrawal, it's only day 2 for me but I figure if I can get past the initial withdrawal then half the battle is won.
Today is tough.

Good luck on the next few days. Tell hubby not to reward you with a cig, try a nice dinner out instead.

hf
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 628775

Yes, he does still smoke but he goes outside to do it. I'm not sure why he thought that was a good idea but I do know he had good intentions. It was my fault for not being strong enough or determined enough to resist.

I keep looking forward to how I'll feel in a year from now, like how I'll be more energetic and want to do more because my body will be able to oxygenate itself more fully. How my skin will look and feel healthier and stuff like that.

Congratulations on day two! That is exciting...you've already made it through the hardest part. The first step is always the hardest, isn't it?
Anonymous Coward
Canada
03/04/2013 01:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
grouphug

hf

Yes, he does still smoke but he goes outside to do it. I'm not sure why he thought that was a good idea but I do know he had good intentions. It was my fault for not being strong enough or determined enough to resist.

I keep looking forward to how I'll feel in a year from now, like how I'll be more energetic and want to do more because my body will be able to oxygenate itself more fully. How my skin will look and feel healthier and stuff like that.

Congratulations on day two! That is exciting...you've already made it through the hardest part. The first step is always the hardest, isn't it?

In regards to you hubby, makes sense, he probably doesn't want to lose his smoking partner.
Sorry that you will have to start from scratch with the nicotine withdrawal.
Maybe you can convince him to join you in the quit.

You are right, just making the decision to stop was hard, actually following through even harder.

So far, I am winning the battle. Don't know what tomorrow will bring, just living though one craving at a time right now.

Breathe, just breathe. Something I was having difficulty doing while smoking.

I think I am going to have to take up knitting or crocheting,
Anything to keep my hands busy.
Maybe macrame belts will come back in style.

Now if only my brain would return to normal, well maybe tomorrow.

hf
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/04/2013 01:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
grouphug

hf

In regards to you hubby, makes sense, he probably doesn't want to lose his smoking partner.
Sorry that you will have to start from scratch with the nicotine withdrawal.
Maybe you can convince him to join you in the quit.

You are right, just making the decision to stop was hard, actually following through even harder.

So far, I am winning the battle. Don't know what tomorrow will bring, just living though one craving at a time right now.

Breathe, just breathe. Something I was having difficulty doing while smoking.

I think I am going to have to take up knitting or crocheting,
Anything to keep my hands busy.
Maybe macrame belts will come back in style.

Now if only my brain would return to normal, well maybe tomorrow.

hf

I know something that will keep your hands busy if you're interested. Plastic bag crocheted rugs.

Take your plastic bags, cut off the tops and bottoms then cut each bag into strips. loop the strips together to form a ball of plarn (plastic yarn). then either single or double crochet a rug in any pattern you choose.

It takes a lot of time and keeps your hands busy as well as recycling those plastic grocery bags. The finished rugs are not waterproof, but they are cushiony under your feet and make great conversation pieces!
Hawk-02
Hawk-o-holic

United States
03/04/2013 02:00 PM

Report Abusive Post
Day six.

grouphug

Thats pretty fucked up, but you do not have to start over.. that didn;t happen. I say we get a few get out of jail free cards. Just keep pushng towards your goal, I promise you it will get easier... and no what makes a really nice reward? Get yourself a gym membership. Peace.
Pickle Suprise!
Desert Fox  (OP)

United States
03/04/2013 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Day six.

grouphug

Forgive me, but I am going to be brutally blunt. Tell your husband that if he loves you and wants you to live a long healthy life with him, not to sabotage your efforts to save your lungs. If you allow him to sabotage your effort, trust me, at some point in the future you will be wheezing and struggling to breath as I was. My desire is not to scare or ruffle your feathers, rather to present the facts of your future with smoking. The struggling to breath is very frightening I can assure you from experience. I do not want you to ever experience that feeling, therefore I wish you strength and understanding from your husband. May your efforts prevent you from further damage to your body. Bless you, and stay with us. hf DF
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/04/2013 02:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you DF, your posts brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for caring and sharing.
Desert Fox  (OP)

United States
03/04/2013 02:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you DF, your posts brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for caring and sharing.

You are most welcome. It brings great satisfaction to me to see people win and add healthy years to their life, ie, the ultimate reason for starting this thread. Come to us often, we do care very much about you and your success, because we know the pain you will be spared later. Believe in us, and believe in yourself. hf DF
Anonymous Coward
Canada
03/04/2013 02:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Day six.

grouphug

Forgive me, but I am going to be brutally blunt. Tell your husband that if he loves you and wants you to live a long healthy life with him, not to sabotage your efforts to save your lungs. If you allow him to sabotage your effort, trust me, at some point in the future you will be wheezing and struggling to breath as I was. My desire is not to scare or ruffle your feathers, rather to present the facts of your future with smoking. The struggling to breath is very frightening I can assure you from experience. I do not want you to ever experience that feeling, therefore I wish you strength and understanding from your husband. May your efforts prevent you from further damage to your body. Bless you, and stay with us. hf DF
 Quoting: Desert Fox

Your bluntness helped me crush my cravings.
I also was struggling for breath, the last 6 months or so, I really thought I was going to die from all the coughing and pain in my chest.

Today, day 2, my chest feels so much better, my coughing has diminished and it's easy while in the throws of addiction to think about giving in to the craving. After all I can breathe today and my chest no longer is crying in pain.

Thanks DF, for snapping me back to reality.

I will not smoke.

hfbanana2hf
Hawk-02
Hawk-o-holic

United States
03/04/2013 04:23 PM

Report Abusive Post
Day six.

grouphug

Quoting: Desert Fox

clappa
Pickle Suprise!

GLP