Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31243632
United States
01/19/2013 08:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Watch as it Develops - The Staged War Against Islamists in Northern Mali
Speaking of Libya...

Rayesse TV has video and images from Amenas - the dead bodies are blurred out so it's not that graphic...

Anonymous Coward
United States
01/19/2013 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mauritania's President says his country will not participate in military action in Northern Mali

Radio France International said Saturday that Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz stressed that it excludes Mauritania's participation in war in the north Mali...

The Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz said in a press conference that Mauritania will not participate in the ongoing war in the north Mali.

[link to translate.google.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/19/2013 09:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here it is...From Today's Telegraph -

...But now there is growing pressure within the administration for the president to authorise drone attacks on suspected hideouts of al-Qaeda's north African allies following the audacious terror mission, in which at least one American was among the casualties.

The initial focus for intensified US operations will be to track down Belmokhtar in northern Mali. They will be aided by French special forces recently deployed to the country.

However, there is a growing feeling in Washington that the Islamic insurrection in Mali and the Algerian crisis represent a tipping point for greater US military intervention in the region....

[link to www.telegraph.co.uk]
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/19/2013 10:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Another "The Locals are Glad to Have French Army Here" story...

This time from Diabaly

...There was no visible affection for the militants.

“They are not Islamists. They are not Malians,” said Abdulwahab Kouyate, who was dressed in traditional Malian garb that had been stitched in the colors of the French flag. “They are just terrorists.”

The head of the French military contingent said his forces had some ideas as to the whereabouts of the extremists. But when asked if it was possible that they could return to Diabaly, he replied: “Yes, of course. This is one of the possibilities,” said Lt. Col. Frederick, who did not give his full name.

Oumar Diakite, the mayor of Diabaly, returned on Saturday to his home. The militants, he said in a telephone interview, had destroyed the walls of some houses, and had vandalized stores. They left behind loads of ammunition, as well as the charred remains of vehicles destroyed by the airstrikes. They had carried the bodies of their comrades with them, except for one who was found in a bush.

But even though the militants had left, fear prevailed....

[link to www.washingtonpost.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 08:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
Daily Mali (@MaliDaily)
1/20/13, 8:41 AM
According to some sources Islamist fighters are regrouping in Kidal near the Algerian border. A Substantial retreat. #Mali

Note - there are 3 provinces & 3 major cities in Northern Mali - Timbuktu, GAO, & Kidal.

Kidal - Home of much of the Ifhoga leadership of various Taureg movements. Home of Ag Ghaly - leader of Ansar Dine

GAO - Home of Arabs & Fulani tribe. Home of MUJWA

Timbuktu - cultural & musical center.

Kidal was where Taureg uprising began. It would be where Ansar Dine might go to regroup.
insertfunnyusername

User ID: 32224343
Greece
01/20/2013 08:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
They were given three. Rami's tweets from today were even worse. I copied them onto MilMan's World at War thread. He tweeted that the Islamists are "consuming" Libya. I've followed him 4 months (maybe a year?) and he's the calming voice who dispels rumors...If he's (finally) saying Islamists are taking over, it's over...

I contacted 2 tweeters who are associated w/ US State Department. I got no response from one & the other guy said Libya is a mess and then asked me out....

I didn't keep my Libyan threads active & I deleted most of the best posts after I learned that there were credible death threats against George Grant, Asma al-Magariaf, and David Bachmann. I had quoted them extensively and I didn't want to put them in more danger...(I feared my posts might remain around after the tweets were no longer readily accessible). Asma has three very young children in Tripoli. I don't want to put anyone at risk with stuff I put on GLP.

I think Rami is safe - his family is so well connected & I think they are quite wealthy. If I had any indication that he was in danger I wouldn't post his tweets either.

Libya is far worse than anything you're reading in MSM. There are nightly assassinations. Police & security people are literally afraid to go to work. The only thing that's working well is the oil sector (surprise). Despite all the issues, Libyan students are deeply involved in trying to help their country. Many Libyans are still talking (rather than fighting). It's not too late (yet)...

But what do I know?
 Quoting: DarbyDoom

Thanks for info Darby, the terrorist network is expanding and getting legitimized to govt levels, lol, that's unbelievable. You did the right thing with other posts/threads, hope everyone is safe there. MSM not saying a lot about Libya, but i hear about terrorist attacks frequently. Can't see how this mess can get fixed anytime soon unfortunately. :(
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 08:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
France 24 has new footage from Amenas

[link to www.france24.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 09:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fate of Algerian Hostsges by Country (Does not include bodies found 2day)

Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 09:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
French forces advancing towards Islamist-held north

A French military spokesman says troops took control of the Islamist-controlled Niono and Sevare towns (both villages are south of de facto border and were considered to be under threat)

[link to english.ahram.org.eg]
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 09:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
Russia offering to help transport Franch Troops to Mali

[link to www.google.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 09:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
Malian army patrol around Diabali after city abandoned by Islamists - reports of fighters regrouping around Kidal

[link to www.maliweb.net]

In English -

Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 11:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Jihadists’ Surge in North Africa Reveals Grim Side of Arab Spring

As the uprising closed in around him, the Libyan dictator Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi warned that if he fell, chaos and holy war would overtake North Africa. “Bin Laden’s people would come to impose ransoms by land and sea,” he told reporters. “We will go back to the time of Redbeard, of pirates, of Ottomans imposing ransoms on boats.”

In recent days, that unhinged prophecy has acquired a grim new currency. In Mali, French paratroopers arrived this month to battle an advancing force of jihadi fighters who already control an area twice the size of Germany. In Algeria, a one-eyed Islamist bandit organized the brazen takeover of an international gas facility, taking hostages that included more than 40 Americans and Europeans.

Coming just four months after an American ambassador was killed by jihadists in Libya, those assaults have contributed to a sense that North Africa — long a dormant backwater for Al Qaeda — is turning into another zone of dangerous instability, much like Syria, site of an increasingly bloody civil war. The mayhem in this vast desert region has many roots, but it is also a sobering reminder that the euphoric toppling of dictators in Libya, Tunisia and Egypt has come at a price.

Yet Colonel Qaddafi’s fall was only the tipping point, some analysts say, in a region where chaos has been on the rise for years, and men who fight under the banner of jihad have built up enormous reserves of cash through smuggling and other criminal activities. If the rhetoric of the Islamic militants now fighting across North Africa is about holy war, the reality is often closer to a battle among competing gangsters in a region where government authority has long been paper-thin....

[link to nyti.ms]
insertfunnyusername

Greece
01/20/2013 12:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Niger ambassador to Belgium and EU and wife found dead due to faulty heater.
[link to www.eubusiness.com]

Could be related? 1dunno1
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 04:14 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: insertfunnyusername

Oh my goodness - it's an epidemic. Three Libyan police trainees died in Turkey two week ago from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. What specifically got people going was name of one of the victims... Minyar al-Gaddafi.

Muammar Gaddafi was Muammar Abu Minyar Gaddafi - but no one's ever met Minyar... It's a very peaceful way 2go...

here's link - (victim's name was changed 2 Minyar al-Werfalli but in original version it was Minyar al-Gaddafi)
[link to www.tripolipost.com]
insertfunnyusername

Greece
01/20/2013 04:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

Oh my goodness - it's an epidemic. Three Libyan police trainees died in Turkey two week ago from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. What specifically got people going was name of one of the victims... Minyar al-Gaddafi.

Muammar Gaddafi was Muammar Abu Minyar Gaddafi - but no one's ever met Minyar... It's a very peaceful way 2go...

here's link - (victim's name was changed 2 Minyar al-Werfalli but in original version it was Minyar al-Gaddafi)

damned

Woow! The plot thickens, what a coincidence.
Obviously not related to Gaddafi, wouldn't be in Turkey otherwise right? That's the way i see it for now at least.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 04:55 PM
Report Abusive Post

damned

Woow! The plot thickens, what a coincidence.
Obviously not related to Gaddafi, wouldn't be in Turkey otherwise right? That's the way i see it for now at least.

Well that's were story gets very interesting... The day after Libyan officials released this story, Turkish officials released a story saying the 3 men were not at the training facility. Libya spun it to suggest they were staying in something akin to off-campus housing.... But everyone else in the police training program is staying at a police academy (misbehavior by Thuwar turned trainees has been issue - particularly in Jordan).

Rami el-Obeidi listed Turkey as one of the big three foreign powers involved in Libya along with Qatar & France but Turkish rations were feeding Libyan troops to the end of the war and the Gaddafis had extensive business links in Turkey. So, it is foreseeable that a Gaddafi (protected by business associates) could be hiding in Turkey...

Frequent Tweeters - Warwick (who is the Syrian Commando of Libya) like Syrian Commando is Turkish - so the Gaddafis have friends in the country.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 05:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mali's MNLA Tuareg separatists said on Sunday they were ready to join international efforts to liberate northern Mali from Islamist rebels, amid fears the Malian army could exact revenge on Tuaregs for an uprising last year.

The MNLA launched a rebellion in northern Mali early in 2012.... The Tuareg uprising was quickly hijacked by an alliance of Islamist groups, which had initially fought alongside them but soon drove them from power in the main cities of the desert region...

With France's dramatic military intervention 10 days ago having reversed an Islamist advance southward, MNLA spokesman Ibrahim Ag Mohamed Assaleh said the movement's dispersed fighters could be recalled to support a U.N.-mandated intervention by forces from West African regional bloc ECOWAS.

[link to my.chicagotribune.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 05:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Algeria hostage crisis: al Qaeda had help from inside claim security sources

Up to five of the al Qaeda-linked Islamists who carried out the most spectacular and bloody hostage situation in recent years were employees of the gas plant, security sources have revealed.

[link to www.telegraph.co.uk]
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 05:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Troops from Benin & Senegal arrived in Bamako today...

Link on Benin Troops - [link to maliactu.net]

Link on Senegalese Troops - [link to www.shanghaidaily.com]

Then, there was this -

Islamists Ansaru claim attack on Mali-bound Nigeria troops: paper

An Islamist group blamed for abducting Westerners claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on Nigerian troops heading to Mali on Sunday, according to the local Desert Herald, which often publishes their claims.

Suspected Islamist gunmen opened fire on a convoy of troops leaving northern Nigeria en route to deployment with West African forces in Mali, killing two officers and wounding eight others, in Kogi state, central Nigeria.
The statement in the online newspaper said the attack was part of a mission to stop Nigerian troops joining Western powers in their "aim to demolish the Islamic empire of Mali."

[link to news.yahoo.com]

WTH is Ansaru?
insertfunnyusername

Greece
01/20/2013 05:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well that's were story gets very interesting... The day after Libyan officials released this story, Turkish officials released a story saying the 3 men were not at the training facility. Libya spun it to suggest they were staying in something akin to off-campus housing.... But everyone else in the police training program is staying at a police academy (misbehavior by Thuwar turned trainees has been issue - particularly in Jordan).

Rami el-Obeidi listed Turkey as one of the big three foreign powers involved in Libya along with Qatar & France but Turkish rations were feeding Libyan troops to the end of the war and the Gaddafis had extensive business links in Turkey. So, it is foreseeable that a Gaddafi (protected by business associates) could be hiding in Turkey...

I don't believe anything from Turkish officials and press, i know them very well to just believe them, triplechecking at least when it comes to their statements.

I know very well that Turkey and Qatar are running the place now. All connected with the Libyan jihadi's in Syria and the weapons they get from there. To give you an example Greece-Libya relations where great for decades under Gaddafi but after his fall we can't find common ground with the new guys in many open issues, Greek foreign minister visited Libya last month and wasn't even welcomed by his counterpart and met a low rank official instead, they're playing a bit hard ball on us lately.
insertfunnyusername

Greece
01/20/2013 05:23 PM
Report Abusive Post

Then, there was this -

An Islamist group blamed for abducting Westerners claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on Nigerian troops heading to Mali on Sunday, according to the local Desert Herald, which often publishes their claims.

Suspected Islamist gunmen opened fire on a convoy of troops leaving northern Nigeria en route to deployment with West African forces in Mali, killing two officers and wounding eight others, in Kogi state, central Nigeria.
The statement in the online newspaper said the attack was part of a mission to stop Nigerian troops joining Western powers in their "aim to demolish the Islamic empire of Mali."

[link to news.yahoo.com]

WTH is Ansaru?

Doesn't sound good at all tbh.

Indications have emerged that an ideological feud within the rank and file of the Boko Haram sect may have led to a breakaway faction. The new outfit calls itself ‘Ansaru.

[link to www.vanguardngr.com]

Ecowas troops are massively under-trained from what i've heard, they need time.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 05:30 PM
Report Abusive Post

Then, there was this -

[link to news.yahoo.com]

WTH is Ansaru?

Doesn't sound good at all tbh.

Indications have emerged that an ideological feud within the rank and file of the Boko Haram sect may have led to a breakaway faction. The new outfit calls itself ‘Ansaru.

[link to www.vanguardngr.com]

Ecowas troops are massively under-trained from what i've heard, they need time.

Thank you... yes - undertrained, under equipped, will take months to become cohesive force & the Malian army has basically disintegrated. This is French operation - they bring the black Africans in for photo ops...
peace.be

User ID: 12990081
Belgium
01/20/2013 05:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

Allegedly, they used barbeque coal inside the bedroom for extra heating.
insertfunnyusername

Greece
01/20/2013 05:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you... yes - undertrained, under equipped, will take months to become cohesive force & the Malian army has basically disintegrated. This is French operation - they bring the black Africans in for photo ops...

My pleasure, Boko Haram are more savages than the average jihadi, if that makes sense in any way though, i'm not sure.

Photo ops probably, camp duties, cooking, carrying etc. EU is sending officers to train them, was surprised to hear that Greece is sending 3 officers too, doesn't make sense for Greece, jussaying.
insertfunnyusername

Greece
01/20/2013 05:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: peace.be

Really? An ambassador wants to heat the place with a barbeque coal? I'm shocked tbh.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 05:42 PM
Report Abusive Post

Why would that cause carbon monoxide poisoning? Wouldn't it just smoke the place up?

Actually, carbon monoxide poisoning is pretty common in US due 2 use of propane space heaters... I lost a friend in high school that way.

Niger has been bought off w/ big aid contracts...I can't imagine any of their officials are standing in France's way.

A link to an article about the West's recent largesse is in this thread....somewhere...
insertfunnyusername

Greece
01/20/2013 05:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why would that cause carbon monoxide poisoning? Wouldn't it just smoke the place up?

Actually, carbon monoxide poisoning is pretty common in US due 2 use of propane space heaters... I lost a friend in high school that way.

Niger has been bought off w/ big aid contracts...I can't imagine any of their officials are standing in France's way.

A link to an article about the West's recent largesse is in this thread....somewhere...

Sorry about that. hf
Yeah it's pretty common, i just don't remember any officials dying from it. Niger is no different than Mali, most lookalike country around.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 05:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Death toll from Algeria siege climbs past 80

They've answered question - new bodies were in addition to earlier announced deaths.

[link to www.cbsnews.com]

The death toll from the terrorist siege at a natural gas plant in the Sahara climbed to at least 81 on Sunday as Algerian forces searching the refinery for explosives found dozens more bodies, many so badly disfigured it was unclear whether they were hostages or militants, a security official said...

The government said after the assault that at least 32 extremists and 23 hostages were killed. Then, on Sunday, Algerian bomb squads sent in to blow up or defuse the explosives found 25 bodies, said the security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.
peace.be

User ID: 12990081
Belgium
01/20/2013 05:56 PM
Report Abusive Post

Well, the explanation is that they were cold and heated it with coals.
They had all windows and doors closed.
Coals doesn't make much smoke when glowing, room fills up with CO...

In that regard, some1 can easily slip in a platter full of coal in the room and leave :p

Police say an investigation will take place cause of the profile of the victims.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/20/2013 06:00 PM
Report Abusive Post

Sorry about that. hf
Yeah it's pretty common, i just don't remember any officials dying from it. Niger is no different than Mali, most lookalike country around.

Hey, I think it was a good post. Especially given the fact that 3 Libyans just died of carbon monoxide poisoning and Niger has taken in Saadi Gaddafi & many Gaddafi loyalists...

I guess the question would be how old/derelict was the Nigerein ambassador's home. I wouldn't expect it to be that grand BUT some of the poorest countries have the most elaborate consulates...

GLP