10/29/2012 01:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Watch as it Develops - The Staged War Against Islamists in Northern Mali
Morning Darbydoom, hope you doing great!hf

Algeria and the Afghanization of Mali: The neocolonial scramble starts
[link to translate.google.gr]
 Quoting: insertfunnyusername

Good afternoon IFUN, we were worried about tidal storm surge so we decamped to my Mother's house...Other than the change in scenery, I am doing great....

Thanks for the article....The Mali coverage is really picking up.

hf
 Quoting: DarbyDoom

Ooww, glad you moved to safer places then, it's for the best! Please stay safe and take care!hugs
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16928933
United States
10/29/2012 01:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
This article provides background on MUJWA -

- MUJWA is based in city of GAO. It has been called a splinter group of AQIM.

- It's founders/leaders are Malian ARAB not Taureg. (Not Algerian like AQIM).

- Most founders/leaders from the al-Amhar tribe, one of several Arab tribes from the Tilemsi Valley region north of Gao

- The al-Amhar tribe is believed to largely control the cocaine trade in northern Mali, in addition to other legitimate and illegitimate businesses...

- Before MUJWA was founded, profits from the cocaine trade greatly increased tribe's influence & shifted the balance of power among the Arab tribes around GAO.

- Is MUJWA cover for drug smuggling or reaction to social changes caused by drug smuggling? (article raises but does not answer that question)..

[link to thewasat.wordpress.com]
insertfunnyusername

User ID: 25686234
Greece
10/29/2012 02:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks - Wow the wind just picked up..

hiding

I've been lurking in to the Sandy threads and livestreams, hope this is typical GLP overreaction, thoughts with you guys!

Weather sucks here too and i haven't seen a proper sun for 2-3 days now, if that's in any way comforting!hf
insertfunnyusername

Greece
10/29/2012 05:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Something i just learned from the following article: Six French citizens are held as hostages in Mali.

Mali: In For Military Intervention
[link to www.strategic-culture.org]

Al-Qaida warns Hollande against French hostage rescue
[link to www.maannews.net]
Chrit

User ID: 15366081
United States
10/29/2012 05:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Something i just learned from the following article: Six French citizens are held as hostages in Mali.

Snip; The Mujahideen of Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) in Mali have warned to "open the doors of hell" for French citizens if France kept pushing for armed invasion to retake the north of Mali. "If French president continues to throw oil on the fire, we will send him the pictures of dead French hostages in the coming days," said Oumar Ould Hamaha, a spokesman for the armed group MUJWA, in apparent reference to the six French nationals still held by armed groups after being taken prisoner in the region. "He will not be able to count the bodies of French expatriates across West Africa and elsewhere," Hamaha said by telephone.

[link to www.kavkaz.org.uk]

Oct. 14th
I'm only human, it's my biggest flaw.

We must all realize a sink a chair and a pillow are all luxuries of home and a soldiers helmet takes the place of all three.
insertfunnyusername

Greece
10/29/2012 05:12 PM
Report Abusive Post

Snip; The Mujahideen of Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) in Mali have warned to "open the doors of hell" for French citizens if France kept pushing for armed invasion to retake the north of Mali. "If French president continues to throw oil on the fire, we will send him the pictures of dead French hostages in the coming days," said Oumar Ould Hamaha, a spokesman for the armed group MUJWA, in apparent reference to the six French nationals still held by armed groups after being taken prisoner in the region. "He will not be able to count the bodies of French expatriates across West Africa and elsewhere," Hamaha said by telephone.

[link to www.kavkaz.org.uk]

Oct. 14th
 Quoting: Chrit

Thnx for that! They also say this:
Al-Qaeda's north African wing has warned repeatedly to kill French hostages if Paris tries to mount a military invasion of Mali. MUJWA's Hamaha said that the armed groups in the Sahara desert were largely funded by ransom payments from France and others. "The top country who finances the Jihad is France," he said, adding that MUJWA could try to kidnap Hollande himself. "I wonder what the international community would say if we took the French president hostage."

Some French would be happy with this i guess!chuckle
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/29/2012 10:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
They just escalated the threats...

Islamist rebels vow assault on Malian capital if international forces attack

Islamist rebels will attack Mali's capital city if international military intervention is launched to regain control of the country's north, a senior member of an insurgent group closely linked to al-Qaida has told the Guardian .

Oumar Ould Hamaha, head of security for the Movement for Tawhid and Jihad in West Africa (Mujao) claimed that rebels have recruited thousands of new fighters and warned that intervention would galvanise the international jihadist movement.

"If an international or Malian military force attacks us, we will take Bamako in 24 hours," Hamaha said in a telephone interview. "The international community is slow to strike because it knows that if it does, it will spark a worldwide jihad.

They are really good at the Bravado . . .

[link to www.guardian.co.uk]

OT - So far, Sandy is not that bad in MD/VA - no flooding, just rains & winds...
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/29/2012 11:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Algerian Taureg Leader - Foreign intervention in northern Mali has imperialist goals

Tuareg chief in Algeria rejected military intervention in northern Mali, and urged the Algerian government to "hold" on its position with the visit of U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton . .

A chief from the Touareg Ahaggar region bordering northern Mali said foreign intervention in Mali, as demanded by America and France, will create a lot of problems. . . "The correct position is to reject foreign interference and insist on a political solution and ask for dialogue. Because we know according to all previous experiments beginning of foreign intervention. But we do not know the end. What happened in Libya best proof of that. " He explained, "I lived and I am 15 years old in northern Mali .. I know the area and realized the risks that threatened. Foreign intervention in northern Mali has imperialist goals. "

[link to translate.google.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/30/2012 11:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
Clinton Algeria & Mali -

As Mali’s interlocking crises continue and regional and international powers work to plan a military intervention for 2013, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visited Algeria yesterday. . .

Algerian-Malian relations are increasingly a subject of discussion in the international media and in US policy circles. . . Finally, it is worth mentioning Mauritania in the context of Sec. Clinton’s visit to Algeria. Prior to the shooting of Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz on October 13, Under Secretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights María Otero had been scheduled to visit Mauritania from October 15-17. The visit has been postponed. . .

Additionally, General Carter Ham of US AFRICOM visited Mauritania, Morocco, and Algeria in September, a tour that focused on the Malian crises. Senior US officials, in other words, are regularly reaching out to northwest African governments in connection with Mali, especially (but not only) Algeria, a key US partner on security issues in the region.

[link to sahelblog.wordpress.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13039567
United States
10/30/2012 11:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Darby, you are hot! lol seriously though...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1390620
Poland
10/30/2012 12:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Africa, what a bucket of crap that place is.

Where is the Oil, Gold, Drugs? Find these items and you will find a war on your doorstep.

Since Al-Qaeda is just an acronym for CIA backed insurgents.

Carnage and Mayhem, that's what makes the Psychopath all Giddy with Glee.

I forgot, that's Gold, Oil, Drugs...GOD
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 23406708
United States
10/30/2012 05:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
How the Malian Media Views Conflict in the North -

In local outlet after local outlet, non-Tuareg politicians from the north, members of the northern diaspora and analysts in Bamako have been going out of their way to blame the MNLA for what has come to pass. In print, one reads that the MNLA “opened the door… they started all this” or “they knew better than to collaborate with Islamists but did it anyways.” Editorials regularly refer to the MNLA as “opportunists”, “criminals” and “traitors.”

. . . The important takeaway is that those who read the Malian press will be privy to this discourse and have a better sense of how non-Tuareg (as well as Tuareg who don’t support the MNLA) might react to external proposals to “leverage” or “cut a deal” with the MNLA. These are important details.

(In other words, don't expect a political deal w/ secular Tauregs)

[link to ptinti.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/30/2012 06:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Armed Intervention for Mali Being Finalized

International officials are finalizing plans for deploying troops and sending military support to Mali to help it retake the north of the country from al-Qaida-linked militants who seized control in April.

Representatives from the United Nations, African Union, Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), European Union and other partner countries are meeting Tuesday and Wednesday in Bamako to finalize operational plans for the African-led military intervention.

After months of wrangling over details, international powers and Malian authorities appear to be reaching the same page.

Upshot - African troops, US Planning, logistics & air support...The average American may not even notice the war....

[link to www.voanews.com]
novamom

User ID: 21938356
United States
10/30/2012 06:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Remote U.S. base at core of secret operations

. . .Djibouti is the clearest example of how the United States is laying the groundwork to carry out these operations overseas. For the past decade, the Pentagon has labeled Lemonnier an “expeditionary,” or temporary, camp. But it is now hardening into the U.S. military’s first permanent drone war base.

In August, the Defense Department delivered a master plan to Congress detailing how the camp will be used over the next quarter-century. About $1.4 billion in construction projects, including a huge new compound that could house up to 1,100 Special Operations forces, more than triple the current number. . .

Today, Camp Lemonnier is the centerpiece of an expanding constellation of half a dozen U.S. drone and surveillance bases in Africa, created to combat a new generation of terrorist groups across the continent, from Mali to Libya to the Central African Republic.

. . .Lemonnier also has become a hub for conventional aircraft. In October 2011, the military boosted the airpower at the base by deploying a squadron of F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets, which can fly faster and carry more munitions than Predators. . .

In an Aug. 20 letter to Congress explaining the emergency contract (to build new runway), Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter said that 16 drones and four fighter jets take off or land at the Djibouti airfield each day, on average. Those operations are expected to increase, he added, without giving details. . .

[link to www.washingtonpost.com]

I know a few guys who helped set up Lemonnier, they say it was the worst deployment they had ever been on. However, now it's not so bad.
yes, those operations will be starting soon. A few things need to be put into place first and they should be good to go. Can't fly missions without an accurate weather forecast.
novamom

United States
10/30/2012 06:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great Thread Darby!! I have been following this whole shit storm very closely for a while now... For me, It's hard not to.
Thor's Hamster

User ID: 17544485
United States
10/30/2012 07:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump

Great thread! 5*s. Glad you bumped it today, because I missed it when it was originally posted. I agree, this is the new region to watch. Your knowledge of and interest in the region is remarkable. I actually am going to "open my map" (great phrase) and look more closely at Mali and the countries surrounding it. Great research! On to Timbuktu!
Apollo astronauts couldn't have passed through Van Allen's Belt. Van Allen wore suspenders.
novamom

United States
10/30/2012 07:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great Thread Darby!! I have been following this whole shit storm very closely for a while now... For me, It's hard not to.
 Quoting: novamom

I think militarily it will be easy...It's the peace (or lack thereof after military ops end) that will get us....

But isn't that always the case in the MENA?

Yes, it seems to be the case, every time. We have guys all over the place over there and they are setting up for more to go. But I suppose with all of the resources there I wouldn't expect any less. Especially since China has interest there as well.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/30/2012 07:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump

Great thread! 5*s. Glad you bumped it today, because I missed it when it was originally posted. I agree, this is the new region to watch. Your knowledge of and interest in the region is remarkable. I actually am going to "open my map" (great phrase) and look more closely at Mali and the countries surrounding it. Great research! On to Timbuktu!
 Quoting: Thor's Hamster

Thanks,

Looks like Mauritania & Algeria are still out....

Western Sahara is the King of Morocco's personal fiefdom (and not that secure)....

So it's those little countries to the south that will have Western visitors....

I hear scattered things about Burkina Faso...
novamom

United States
10/30/2012 07:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump

Quoting: Thor's Hamster

Thanks,

Looks like Mauritania & Algeria are still out....

Western Sahara is the King of Morocco's personal fiefdom (and not that secure)....

So it's those little countries to the south that will have Western visitors....

I hear scattered things about Burkina Faso...

BINGO! Burkina Faso! But it's not only the little ones, look to Uganda, Chad, and Niger too...
edit.. I forgot to add Ethiopia

Last Edited by novamom on 10/30/2012 07:35 PM
novamom

United States
10/30/2012 07:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's all coming down to resources.. I do not think the Africa mission was ever intended to be for humanitarian aide.

“East Africa is rapidly becoming the most prospective oil and gas province in the world and the large, strategic land portfolio we hold ensures we will be at the center of industry activity," Hill said.

[link to allafrica.com]
novamom

United States
10/30/2012 07:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nairobi — Uganda was the most preferred destination for most banks willing to expand in the East Africa Region in 2011 compared to Kenya, according to Standard Investment Bank's banking sector preview.

[link to allafrica.com]
novamom

United States
10/30/2012 07:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
France has given Burkina Faso aircraft and military vehicles to help with the Mali Islamic threat.

Theres a story on a site I cannot link here.. sounds like rootershf

I know the French are sending troops to help the US as well. I read/heard that some place too.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/30/2012 09:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Repeating The Libya Mistake in Mali

. . .In March [2011], Algeria voted against the Arab League’s resolution calling for a no-fly zone over Libya, fearing that it would lead to the intervention of foreign ground forces and stressing the need to preserve Libya’s security and territorial integrity (and fearing rise of Islamists in Libya) . . .

For about the same reasons that proved to be right with regard to Libya, Algeria and other countries in the region are against such a war (in Mali)...

The U.S. and France are pressing and bribing several African countries to provide a much too small force of some 3,500 soldiers to somehow kick AQIM out of northern Mali, an area that is bigger than France.

But just as they are unable to learn that any intervention will inherently lead to more problems they are also incapable of learning to use the right intervention forces.

[T]he basic idea is for forces from Nigeria and other West Africa countries to help Mali’s military mount a campaign against the militants.

The use of Christian led Nigerian troops as proxy against indigenous Islamic forces in Mali will lead to the same result as the proxy use of Christian Ethiopian troops against indigenous Islamic forces in Somalia did. The Ethiopian troops there were thoroughly beaten and retreated while the original conflict intensified in brutality.

[link to indepthafrica.com]
Thor's Hamster

User ID: 1248699
United States
10/30/2012 09:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'd like to go to Benin and check out the origin of "voodoo", which diffused from Benin to the New World via the slave trade.
Apollo astronauts couldn't have passed through Van Allen's Belt. Van Allen wore suspenders.
insertfunnyusername

Greece
11/01/2012 09:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
They are creating militias in Mali (because that worked so well in Libya)

An estimated 35,000 internally displaced people, of whom 10,000 are living in official camps, have arrived in the Mopti region alone . . . Many, like Sissiko, have joined militias, prompting fears that the ranks of independent trained and armed northerners could create further problems for the country. . .

"Militia members are in their thousands, and their numbers are multiplying," said the source. "I fear the impact of their existence on the country – they are regional and ethnocentric organisations that can only further divide Mali. . .

You think? A country divided on regional & ethnic lines....Like Libya? Iraq?

See full article on G**rdian's website...

Morning DD!coffee4
Article here:
[link to www.i4u.com]
insertfunnyusername

Greece
11/01/2012 05:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
«The Liberation of Mali», or the concept of military intervention
insertfunnyusername

Greece
11/01/2012 07:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
They are creating militias in Mali (because that worked so well in Libya)

An estimated 35,000 internally displaced people, of whom 10,000 are living in official camps, have arrived in the Mopti region alone . . . Many, like Sissiko, have joined militias, prompting fears that the ranks of independent trained and armed northerners could create further problems for the country. . .

"Militia members are in their thousands, and their numbers are multiplying," said the source. "I fear the impact of their existence on the country – they are regional and ethnocentric organisations that can only further divide Mali. . .

You think? A country divided on regional & ethnic lines....Like Libya? Iraq?

See full article on G**rdian's website...

Morning DD!coffee4
Article here:
[link to www.i4u.com]

just from the ads on that site, I have to say DD seems right....wow

What did you see? It's a sure thing that we see different ads, mine are in Greek!
insertfunnyusername

Greece
11/01/2012 08:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle has arrived in Mali for talks about European efforts to help the country's weak interim government. The visit comes amid talks of an African-led military intervention in Mali.
[link to www.dw.de]

GLP