Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,276 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 645,768
Pageviews Today: 1,049,349Threads Today: 417Posts Today: 7,024
10:57 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Moontard here: THE friggin MOON is NOT RIGHT!

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1595910
United States
11/05/2012 06:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Moontard here: THE friggin MOON is NOT RIGHT!
O H - M Y - G O D - - - I - N E V E R - H A V E - S E E N - T H I S - I N - M Y - L I F E !

Dear moontards,
if you have never seen this in your live, you never looked up into the sky:

November 2011:
[link to www.edpostphotography.com]

September 2010:
[link to i106.photobucket.com]
[link to thunderpigblog.blogspot.de]

September 2008:
[link to www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk]

January 2005:
[link to www.jonrosie.com]

Februar 2002
[link to www.utahskies.org]

Dear TrinityMountain,
sometimes it's fun not to answer early (even if the alert app triggert immediately :))
just to see what bunch of idiots comes together and what kind of imbecility is posted.

Dear Possum,
as you can see from the links, it's not for the last two years - it's at least for the last ten years.
And surprise: it's for the last some million years.

Quoting: Hydra

hey, snide prick, everybody has seen a crescent moon like the one in all the pictures you provided. that's not at all what the moon looked like tonight. but thanks for the bullshit.
rikmeister

User ID: 25114288
United Arab Emirates
11/05/2012 06:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
The moon was actually waning from the top in Dubai too - I noticed it the other night and thought "that's odd, it doesn't normally do that...".

To be honest, I didn't think anything of it until I read this thread!

I don't think it's normal for the moon to do that. I'm not saying it's time for the doom, but the moon waxes and wanes right-to-left and left-to-right. NOT top-to-bottom.
"...too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Btw, I just killed this thread.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27048274
Germany
11/05/2012 06:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Hydra

User ID: 27017455
Germany
11/05/2012 06:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
O H - M Y - G O D - - - I - N E V E R - H A V E - S E E N - T H I S - I N - M Y - L I F E !

Dear moontards,
if you have never seen this in your live, you never looked up into the sky:

November 2011:

September 2010:
[link to i106.photobucket.com]
[link to thunderpigblog.blogspot.de]

September 2008:

January 2005:
[link to www.jonrosie.com]

Februar 2002

Dear TrinityMountain,
sometimes it's fun not to answer early (even if the alert app triggert immediately :))
just to see what bunch of idiots comes together and what kind of imbecility is posted.

Dear Possum,
as you can see from the links, it's not for the last two years - it's at least for the last ten years.
And surprise: it's for the last some million years.

Quoting: Hydra

hey, snide prick, everybody has seen a crescent moon like the one in all the pictures you provided. that's not at all what the moon looked like tonight. but thanks for the bullshit.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1595910

Hey, honey, that's how the Moon looks in three days.
So you think some magical force will put it back into the right position until Thursday?

:ase26122019:
Annular Solar Eclipse - December 26, 2019 - Kannur, Kerala, India
Hydra

User ID: 27017455
Germany
11/05/2012 06:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
The moon was actually waning from the top in Dubai too - I noticed it the other night and thought "that's odd, it doesn't normally do that...".

To be honest, I didn't think anything of it until I read this thread!

I don't think it's normal for the moon to do that. I'm not saying it's time for the doom, but the moon waxes and wanes right-to-left and left-to-right. NOT top-to-bottom.
 Quoting: rikmeister

Go out and have a look at 6 in the morning (your local time), and your world is fine again.

:ase26122019:
Annular Solar Eclipse - December 26, 2019 - Kannur, Kerala, India
Kissplash

User ID: 18998054
United States
11/05/2012 08:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm not astronomer. I'm not a scientist. I'm just a normal girl who grew up in the eighties and was taught in school (when they actually taught science)that the moon waned side to side. Not top to bottom. I'm on the east coast. I'm a sky watcher. I take pics every clear day. The last few nights have been clear enough to take photos so I have. I wish they were better photos. Sun is easier to capture as it's bigger and brighter than the moon. To truly get the moon you need focus and telescopic lens. I don't have a great camera. Just my phone. It take some pretty decent pics. Just not of the moon.

All I'm trying to say is that it's out there. Do I think it's a hologram? I'm not sure. Do I think it's wrong in some way? Yes, because I've always watched the sky. I wish I could show you what I've seen in the sky with my own eyes. I've watched as clouds seem to just scoot around the moon in a circle. Clouds look like they are behind the moon...brown or red in color. I was able to see the sun behind the clouds as a simple globe! I didn't even know it was was the sun at first as the sun was super bright when it finally broke free of the clouds ( was in the middle of something and could only get pics every few minutes. I never witnessed it changing from that globe to sun and if I had I would probably be blinded for life!) It was not, or should not have been anything else. I have pics but they are so hard to see as it was behind the clouds. I have pics of the moon being in places I've never seen it before.

I was always taught the the moon followed the sun. And I still don't understand NOW how I can see the moon twice in a 16-18 hour period of time. And not just a bit. I mean fully and able to be quite far up in the sky.

I use Stellarium. So it must seem right in scientific circles to have the sun be directly across from the moon in the day and still have it waning from the top to the bottom that same night high in the sky. Does light really reach that far around? I don't know. I DO know that it doesn't seem right.

As for the halo I've seen it around the moon which was super bright on the days this week I was able to see it. I've also captured halo around the sun. Even halo with clouds. I get a lot of weird photos of the sky. I do post them on myspace when I have time and patience.
LEARN HOW TO BE KIND OR BE LEFT BEHIND. OXOXO
Kissplash

United States
11/05/2012 08:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hydra have you got any pics from the eighties? I've been looking online and I can't seem to find any. I used to have pics as I had a real camera back then. Also Polaroids but I've since lost all those pics; I've moved so many times.
rikmeister

User ID: 25114288
United Arab Emirates
11/05/2012 08:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm not astronomer. I'm not a scientist. I'm just a normal girl who grew up in the eighties and was taught in school (when they actually taught science)that the moon waned side to side. Not top to bottom. I'm on the east coast. I'm a sky watcher. I take pics every clear day. The last few nights have been clear enough to take photos so I have. I wish they were better photos. Sun is easier to capture as it's bigger and brighter than the moon. To truly get the moon you need focus and telescopic lens. I don't have a great camera. Just my phone. It take some pretty decent pics. Just not of the moon.

All I'm trying to say is that it's out there. Do I think it's a hologram? I'm not sure. Do I think it's wrong in some way? Yes, because I've always watched the sky. I wish I could show you what I've seen in the sky with my own eyes. I've watched as clouds seem to just scoot around the moon in a circle. Clouds look like they are behind the moon...brown or red in color. I was able to see the sun behind the clouds as a simple globe! I didn't even know it was was the sun at first as the sun was super bright when it finally broke free of the clouds ( was in the middle of something and could only get pics every few minutes. I never witnessed it changing from that globe to sun and if I had I would probably be blinded for life!) It was not, or should not have been anything else. I have pics but they are so hard to see as it was behind the clouds. I have pics of the moon being in places I've never seen it before.

I was always taught the the moon followed the sun. And I still don't understand NOW how I can see the moon twice in a 16-18 hour period of time. And not just a bit. I mean fully and able to be quite far up in the sky.

I use Stellarium. So it must seem right in scientific circles to have the sun be directly across from the moon in the day and still have it waning from the top to the bottom that same night high in the sky. Does light really reach that far around? I don't know. I DO know that it doesn't seem right.

As for the halo I've seen it around the moon which was super bright on the days this week I was able to see it. I've also captured halo around the sun. Even halo with clouds. I get a lot of weird photos of the sky. I do post them on myspace when I have time and patience.
 Quoting: Kissplash

I know exactly what you're talking about. I wish I had a decent enough camera to take some photos too - then these doubters would wake up!

I'd be interested to see the pics you've taken if you'd be happy to share them???
"...too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Btw, I just killed this thread.
Kissplash

United States
11/05/2012 08:42 AM
Report Abusive Post

I know exactly what you're talking about. I wish I had a decent enough camera to take some photos too - then these doubters would wake up!

I'd be interested to see the pics you've taken if you'd be happy to share them???
 Quoting: rikmeister

I would love to! Just tell me how you want them. I don't know about the share policies on here. I have them on my comp. I'm gonna upload to MySpace in a bit.
Weasel_Turbine

User ID: 14143765
United States
11/05/2012 08:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nothing wrong with the Moon. What you are seeing is called field rotation. It is an APPARENT (not real) rotation that happens to everything in the sky. It is because you are looking at it from a round rotating surface.

The Moon's shadow is still left to right. The North pole of the Moon still points to the North. YOU are the one that turned. It is an optical illusion known as field rotation. When the Moon (or anything else in the sky) rises you are looking East and it APPEARS rotated to the left. When high in the sky you are looking South and it is upright. When it sets you are looking West and it APPEARS rotated to the right.

How do we know it is not a real rotation? First, YOU turned. When the Moon is just past the highest point in the sky you can see it both ways. Look South and you see the shadow on the left, look West and up and you see the shadow on top. Magic! Second, when we see it setting and appears to be rotated to the right, somebody on the other side of the world sees it rising AT THE SAME TIME and sees it appearing to be rotated to the left!
If you have to insist that you've won an Internet argument, you've probably lost badly. - Danth's Law
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12527214
United States
11/05/2012 08:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
oh no the moon is doing the same thing it has for the last 300 million years. it is sad that you people have never paid any attention to how our system works. the Earth has a wobble, so the moon is going to appear to move up and down during the seasons, just like the sun does. so in the summer months a waning crescent will appear on the top left side on the moon, in the winter months it will appear to be bottom left side. nothing has changed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12527214
United States
11/05/2012 09:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nothing wrong with the Moon. What you are seeing is called field rotation. It is an APPARENT (not real) rotation that happens to everything in the sky. It is because you are looking at it from a round rotating surface.

The Moon's shadow is still left to right. The North pole of the Moon still points to the North. YOU are the one that turned. It is an optical illusion known as field rotation. When the Moon (or anything else in the sky) rises you are looking East and it APPEARS rotated to the left. When high in the sky you are looking South and it is upright. When it sets you are looking West and it APPEARS rotated to the right.

How do we know it is not a real rotation? First, YOU turned. When the Moon is just past the highest point in the sky you can see it both ways. Look South and you see the shadow on the left, look West and up and you see the shadow on top. Magic! Second, when we see it setting and appears to be rotated to the right, somebody on the other side of the world sees it rising AT THE SAME TIME and sees it appearing to be rotated to the left!
 Quoting: Weasel_Turbine

you do know that the moon DOES have a rotation right?
Cosmicwind73
User ID: 16244242
United States
11/05/2012 09:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Here's a moon story for ya.... Last night I was reading a book to my five year old son about the moon. After I finished, my wife says: "When you look at the moon, what you are seeing is actually a reflection of the continents from earth, not the actual moon surface." Then I said, "whaaaaat?" She reiterates, "Sure, you don't actually think that all those craters and valleys are on the moon do you?"

I then went on to prove my point about said lunar surface, she quick cut me off in mid sentence and told me we would have to research it. Research?!?! WTF??? This woman has a masters in education by the way....

Maybe the moon is affecting brain wave patterns.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27056233
United States
11/05/2012 10:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hydra have you got any pics from the eighties? I've been looking online and I can't seem to find any. I used to have pics as I had a real camera back then. Also Polaroids but I've since lost all those pics; I've moved so many times.

I'll do you one better, even prior to the 80's:
[link to apollomissionphotos.com]
The rising moon behind the Apollo launchpad, with the moon's terminator (dividing line between night and day on the moon) completely horizontal. Yes, it's normal, yes it's just field rotation. How many of you idiots viewed the moon in a polar aligned scope the other night? I'm willing to bet, zero. I did. Guess what? It was VERTICAL in the telescope. Why? Because a polar aligned telescope is not subject to field rotation. When you see the moon rise, however, you will be viewing it with field rotation which can cause the moon to undergo an APPARENT rotation of up to 180 degrees from rising to setting.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/05/2012 10:04 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 12527214

Yes, but its true rotation is a completely separate matter than the apparent rotation known as "field rotation." That's purely a matter of perspective, so unless you're viewing it from a polar aligned perspective, it will appear to "rotate" over the course of the night.
[link to www.youtube.com]
Weasel_Turbine

User ID: 14143765
United States
11/05/2012 10:09 AM
Report Abusive Post

Yes. It rotates once for each orbit so it always shows the same side to the Earth. The apparent rotation described above is not that rotation. That is field rotation that makes it appear that the moon is waxing or waning from the top or bottom.
If you have to insist that you've won an Internet argument, you've probably lost badly. - Danth's Law
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15472
United States
11/05/2012 10:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Please learn some basic Astronomy.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27007643
Poland
11/05/2012 10:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump with drama
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/05/2012 10:44 AM
Report Abusive Post

The rising moon behind the Apollo launchpad, with the moon's terminator (dividing line between night and day on the moon) completely horizontal. Yes, it's normal, yes it's just field rotation. How many of you idiots viewed the moon in a polar aligned scope the other night? I'm willing to bet, zero. I did. Guess what? It was VERTICAL in the telescope. Why? Because a polar aligned telescope is not subject to field rotation. When you see the moon rise, however, you will be viewing it with field rotation which can cause the moon to undergo an APPARENT rotation of up to 180 degrees from rising to setting.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27056233

Aww, what's the matter, no response? Didn't think so.
Kissplash

United States
11/05/2012 11:25 AM
Report Abusive Post

Um I was a bit busy here but if you want a response here it is:
If you trust what the government sells you than I feel sorry for you because all they sell is BS. They lie. They steal. They murder. They do what they do because they don't want us to escape they prison they've built for us with our daily lives. I believe in amateur photos...like they ones that get passed down generation to generation. You trust your i-telescope? How about your digital telescope? You trust Stellarium (I'm having real trouble with this one...I don't trust it but it's all that I have)? You trust NASA?

You know what I trust? My eyes. And my gut. And photos that never even dreamed of being photo-shopped. That's what I believe in.

And I'll tell you something else. Even with a field rotation you would still see the pictures the same today as you did then if nothing has changed. Something has changed A.C. You know what hasn't. My sense of real BS.

Last Edited by Kissplash on 11/05/2012 11:25 AM
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/05/2012 11:48 AM
Report Abusive Post

If you trust what the government sells you than I feel sorry for you because all they sell is BS.

Right, they're lying about field rotation. If you seriously believe that, and if you seriously believe that in the early 70's they "faked" that photo so that 40 years later I could come along and show that the moon's orientation is normal, then you're fucking insane.
I believe in amateur photos...like they ones that get passed down generation to generation. You trust your i-telescope? How about your digital telescope? You trust Stellarium (I'm having real trouble with this one...I don't trust it but it's all that I have)? You trust NASA?
 Quoting: idiot

Yes I trust my telescope. I know how to polar align it jackass, and guess what I see when I do so... a vertical moon even when by eye it looks "horizontal" as it did this weekend! Guess what my amateur photo would have shown had I taken one of the moon this weekend? A vertical moon! Why? Because my telescope was polar aligned, as was nearly every serious amateur telescope back when the above photo was taken (telescopes used for astrophotography back then were all equatorial).
You know what I trust? My eyes. And my gut. And photos that never even dreamed of being photo-shopped. That's what I believe in.

Photoshop didn't exist back then. Furthermore, there'd be no reason to fucking forge an image like that back then.
And I'll tell you something else. Even with a field rotation you would still see the pictures the same today as you did then if nothing has changed.

I JUST SHOWED YOU ONE YOU FUCKING MORON!
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/05/2012 11:53 AM
Report Abusive Post

If you trust what the government sells you than I feel sorry for you because all they sell is BS.

Right, they're lying about field rotation. If you seriously believe that, and if you seriously believe that in the early 70's they "faked" that photo so that 40 years later I could come along and show that the moon's orientation is normal, then you're fucking insane.
I believe in amateur photos...like they ones that get passed down generation to generation. You trust your i-telescope? How about your digital telescope? You trust Stellarium (I'm having real trouble with this one...I don't trust it but it's all that I have)? You trust NASA?

Yes I trust my telescope. I know how to polar align it jackass, and guess what I see when I do so... a vertical moon even when by eye it looks "horizontal" as it did this weekend! Guess what my amateur photo would have shown had I taken one of the moon this weekend? A vertical moon! Why? Because my telescope was polar aligned, as was nearly every serious amateur telescope back when the above photo was taken (telescopes used for astrophotography back then were all equatorial).

Photoshop didn't exist back then. Furthermore, there'd be no reason to fucking forge an image like that back then.
And I'll tell you something else. Even with a field rotation you would still see the pictures the same today as you did then if nothing has changed.

And by the way idiot, if they faked that image of the rocket on the pad with the moon in the background in the 70's, why didn't anyone yell about it back then and scream "fake?" Because it was perfectly normal to see the moon like that, just as it is today! Tell me, how the fuck did the moon look vertical in my polar aligned telescope this weekend while by eye it looked "horizontal"? If it's not field rotation, then what is it? Hmm? Answer that. Oh, it's because my telescope has a computer in it? How does the computer magically rotate the image of the moon? Eh? It's polar aligned, it's a physical alignment, there's not a damn thing the computer can do to change that! Once polar aligned, the computer either puts the moon in the field of view, or it doesn't, there's nothing it can do to "rotate" the view of the moon to make it look normal! Learn some astronomy!
Generation Doom

User ID: 20816248
United States
11/05/2012 11:55 AM

Report Abusive Post
i mean that fucker is an egg and it's gonna hatch and drop into the ocean and then pupate an then fuck some serious shit up. probably the leviathan from revelation, if you're into that sorta thing
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1595910

King Ghidorah
Pray this prayer to blind Satan:
[link to flameoflove.us (secure)]
The Answer
User ID: 26133827
United States
11/05/2012 11:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
Its simple people!
As Humans we take notice if something is out of place its a natural instinct.

There was a prophecy that said the earth would stagger back and forth like a Drunkard. And that is exactly whats happening.

The earth is wobbling like a spinning top that bumped into something. so one day the sun and moon look right and the next they don't and the next its right back where it should be again.

Which also explains why one day its 40 degrees out and the next its 91 and neither you, I or the weather channel is absolutely positive what season it really is anymore. Even the Trees are confused.
LordBeagle72

User ID: 27058169
United Kingdom
11/05/2012 11:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
oh no the moon is doing the same thing it has for the last 300 million years. it is sad that you people have never paid any attention to how our system works. the Earth has a wobble, so the moon is going to appear to move up and down during the seasons, just like the sun does. so in the summer months a waning crescent will appear on the top left side on the moon, in the winter months it will appear to be bottom left side. nothing has changed.

Erm the Moon only been in our Orbit for approx 13500 years give or take a week.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/05/2012 12:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Its simple people!
As Humans we take notice if something is out of place its a natural instinct.

There was a prophecy that said the earth would stagger back and forth like a Drunkard. And that is exactly whats happening.

The earth is wobbling like a spinning top that bumped into something. so one day the sun and moon look right and the next they don't and the next its right back where it should be again.

Which also explains why one day its 40 degrees out and the next its 91 and neither you, I or the weather channel is absolutely positive what season it really is anymore. Even the Trees are confused.
 Quoting: The Answer 26133827

Oh, here's a real genius. Tell me genius, how is it that I can polar align my telescope under the assumption that Polaris is about 3 quarters of a degree from the north celestial pole, our axis of rotation, and it ACTUALLY WORKS! I polar align my telescope with the assumption that Polaris is right where it should be, how can I do that if it's not? Furthermore, anyone can take a picture of star trails centered on the north celestial pole and measure its distance from Polaris. Go ahead, do it, I will bet you ANYTHING that it's normal. If it weren't, I would have been able to polar align except by the drift method, which I didn't use (I used the iterative method, which assumes the stars are where they should be).
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/05/2012 12:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Oh by the way, the above photo is 108-KSC-71P-74 if anyone wants to go to the KSC media library or give them a call and see it for themselves.
TrinityMountain

User ID: 21948869
Canada
11/05/2012 12:09 PM
Report Abusive Post

If you want to play the fucking moron card then sign in or sign up so we can see whom you really are otherwise you don't count and what you say is just an anomynous coward. You don't exist.
Friendship isn't about whom you have known the longest...Its about who walked into your life and said...I am here for you.
Kissplash

United States
11/05/2012 12:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
You have a lot of anger issues A.C. I suggest meditation.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/05/2012 12:12 PM
Report Abusive Post

If you want to play the fucking moron card then sign in or sign up so we can see whom you really are otherwise you don't count and what you say is just an anomynous coward. You don't exist.
 Quoting: TrinityMountain

Live in denial all you want, I showed that the thread is wrong, all the deniers can do is scream "photoshop" in retaliation. Yes, I exist, regardless of whether I have a blue name, a star, or nothing at all. You people always bitch and moan that you "trust your eyes" and "you know what you saw." Well I know what field rotation is and I know what I fucking saw in my telescope. Go to a star party when a waning or waxing moon is rising and you'll see the same fucking thing in the polar aligned scopes there.

GLP