Write in versus 3rd Party

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1667343
United States
11/06/2012 11:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Write in versus 3rd Party
For those of you who are voting 'neither of the above'... are you voting for a write-in or a third party?

I meant to add a poll but forgot to click the checkbox... oh well.

Gary Johnson / Libertarian?

Write in Ron Paul?

Someone else altogether?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1055574
United States
11/06/2012 11:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Write in versus 3rd Party
I voted Gary Johnson in the hopes of helping to get the Libertarian party 5% of the popular vote.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/06/2012 11:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
That is the way I am leaning as well.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 11:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
That is the way I am leaning as well.
 Quoting: tandym

Happily I'm not just voting for him to help reach the 5% goal - I'm voting for him because I actually agree with his positions.

Obama and Romney, I only agree with ~50%. Gary Johnson, 95%. It's a no brainer for me.
-GooGooFlexy-

User ID: 1238529
United States
11/06/2012 12:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was going to start my own thread, but I'll just post on this one.

Of you who have voted already, did you even see a write-in option for POTUS? My ballot didn't include one...
-GooGooFlexy-
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 12:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

Of you who have voted already, did you even see a write-in option for POTUS? My ballot didn't include one...
 Quoting: -GooGooFlexy-

What state are you in? I don't believe OK has a write-in area but I think the rest of the states do.
-GooGooFlexy-

United States
11/06/2012 12:06 PM
Report Abusive Post

What state are you in? I don't believe OK has a write-in area but I think the rest of the states do.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1055574

I just voted in South Carolina. The other election choices had write-ins...some had 3 write-in options (for whatever reason).

I ended up voting Johnson anyway. I'm happy about it.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from voting McCain last election. Never again will I vote for a booger to keep a turd from gaining office.
-GooGooFlexy-
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 12:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
Never again will I vote for a booger to keep a turd from gaining office.

Welcome to the club. Hopefully attitudes like this will gain more and more traction.
Aerontar

User ID: 16824056
United States
11/06/2012 12:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
I will be writing in Ron Paul.

The lesser of two evil mindset doesn't work with Romney and Obama.
-GooGooFlexy-

United States
11/06/2012 12:13 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Aerontar

clappa

Last Edited by -GooGooFlexy- on 11/06/2012 12:14 PM
-GooGooFlexy-
SkinnyChic

User ID: 25044404
United States
11/06/2012 12:18 PM

Report Abusive Post
I voted Gary Johnson in the hopes of helping to get the Libertarian party 5% of the popular vote.

Same here. hf
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 12:20 PM
Report Abusive Post

If you haven't voted yet, please consider a vote for Gary Johnson.

I am a big Ron Paul fan as well, but sadly a write in for him won't count for anything at all.

A vote (or write in if you are in MI) for Gary Johnson has a chance to help him get the Libertarian party 5% of the popular vote, thus getting the same additional funding that the (R) and (D) parties get next presidential election.
SkinnyChic

User ID: 25044404
United States
11/06/2012 12:23 PM

Report Abusive Post

If you haven't voted yet, please consider a vote for Gary Johnson.

I am a big Ron Paul fan as well, but sadly a write in for him won't count for anything at all.

A vote (or write in if you are in MI) for Gary Johnson has a chance to help him get the Libertarian party 5% of the popular vote, thus getting the same additional funding that the (R) and (D) parties get next presidential election.

This! It would be wonderful if we have more than 2 choices that get air time in the future.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23793796
United States
11/06/2012 12:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
You'd be voting for Obama if you do.

It's a trap by design.

It's too bad that so many Americans still fall for the illusion of choice in this 'democracy'

:P
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 12:31 PM
Report Abusive Post

It's a trap by design.

It's too bad that so many Americans still fall for the illusion of choice in this 'democracy'

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23793796

No it's not and likening it to that is the tool of a partisan shill.

Neither of the 2 "chosen" candidates were EVER going to get my vote. Period. So a vote for Gary Johnson is nothing more than a vote for Gary Johnson.

Once again for the slow witted - a vote for Gary Johnson is a vote for Gary Johnson. Simple as that.
-GooGooFlexy-

United States
11/06/2012 12:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

It's a trap by design.

That's an awful way of thinking about it. How are we going to get rid of this horse-shit Repug vs Dem system if everyone feels obligated to vote for one of them? A vote for Romney this year means one more tally on the list of reasons to run another lack-luster Republican candidate in 4 years...They'll say "people seemed to like Romney, lets get another guy just like him."
jerkit
-GooGooFlexy-
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 12:40 PM
Report Abusive Post

It's a trap by design.

Neither of the 2 "chosen" candidates were EVER going to get my vote. Period. So a vote for Gary Johnson is nothing more than a vote for Gary Johnson.

Once again for the slow witted - a vote for Gary Johnson is a vote for Gary Johnson. Simple as that.

But there are only two choices that can win. (by design)

By not voting for either, you are taking one vote away from the two, and in this election, those who do that are giving the advantage of the wasted vote to Obama.

Most polled independent and third party voters oppose Obama, therefore by not voting for the only candidate that can beat him, you are voting for him.

Either way, they get who they want in the WH at the end of the day, so really it doesn't matter...

Consider it a huge success, if after voting you 'feel' like you have participated and that you had a choice. :P
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 12:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
It is what it is.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 12:45 PM
Report Abusive Post

It's a trap by design.

By not voting for either, you are taking one vote away from the two, and in this election, those who do that are giving the advantage of the wasted vote to Obama.

Most polled independent and third party voters oppose Obama, therefore by not voting for the only candidate that can beat him, you are voting for him.

Either way, they get who they want in the WH at the end of the day, so really it doesn't matter...

Consider it a huge success, if after voting you 'feel' like you have participated and that you had a choice. :P

Seriously?? Once again, neither Obama or Romney were going to get my vote. Let me repeat, just to make sure you understand that:

Neither Obama or Romney were going to get my vote

My vote for Gary Johnson was NEVER EVER EVER going to be given to Obama or Romney. They never had my vote, therefore I didn't "give" either of them my vote by voting for someone else.

FFS, do you actually believe what you wrote in your post??

I've been feeling very satisfied after mailing in my vote several days ago. I voted for someone I believe in and agree with and I DIDN'T vote for either of the 2 pieces of shit that I disagree with on most policies.
-GooGooFlexy-

United States
11/06/2012 12:52 PM
Report Abusive Post

Not true. If enough people vote third party, they will win.

Wrong. See below for why.

That's an assumption. A wrong one at that.
Please produce a link that states this as a fact and I'll believe it. Otherwise, your entire argument falls on its face. What if I wanted to vote for Obama, but voted green party instead? By your logic, that's a vote for Romney.

If that's the case, why don't you make a stand and vote for who you actually want to see in office? If that's Romney, vote for Romney. But, if you want to see a third party in the oval office, all it takes is for you to support them by voting.

If we can show this country that the Libertarian party has support, perhaps people will take notice of what Libertarians stand for. I FIRMLY believe that if people see what the Libertarian party is all about, they'll consider putting their old party out to pasture.
-GooGooFlexy-
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 12:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

It's a trap by design.

Seriously?? Once again, neither Obama or Romney were going to get my vote. Let me repeat, just to make sure you understand that:

Neither Obama or Romney were going to get my vote

My vote for Gary Johnson was NEVER EVER EVER going to be given to Obama or Romney. They never had my vote, therefore I didn't "give" either of them my vote by voting for someone else.

FFS, do you actually believe what you wrote in your post??

I've been feeling very satisfied after mailing in my vote several days ago. I voted for someone I believe in and agree with and I DIDN'T vote for either of the 2 pieces of shit that I disagree with on most policies.

I admire your conviction and passion, but you need to wake up and realize how this works... You voted for a candidate that has ZERO chances of winning...

Your only two viable (can win) choices are either Romney or Obama.

Voting for neither, is a personal matter, obviously...

Until there is a viable 3rd choice, it is always going to be this way.

Good luck.
-GooGooFlexy-

United States
11/06/2012 12:59 PM
Report Abusive Post

I was under the impression that more people voting 3rd party will make this happen...
-GooGooFlexy-
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 01:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
I admire your conviction and passion, but you need to wake up and realize how this works... You voted for a candidate that has ZERO chances of winning...

Your only two viable (can win) choices are either Romney or Obama.

Voting for neither, is a personal matter, obviously...

Good luck.

I know Gary Johnson cannot win. I already explained one of the major reasons I voted for him (and the Libertarian party) earlier in the thread. I'm thinking further into the future than the next few weeks.

If you feel the current "choices" are enough, by all means please vote for one of them.

Just don't try to tell me that my vote was cast for one of them simply because I did not vote for the other one. It's that kind of idiotic thinking that has put us where we're at today.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 01:12 PM
Report Abusive Post

I was under the impression that more people voting 3rd party will make this happen...

There are not enough in numbers to have any impact, even if they all voted for the SAME 3rd choice.

In this election third party and write-in voters do not have a viable choice, so their wasted votes can only serve to help the Democrat incumbent, or the Republican challenger.

Since this is a close election, and polls show that most voters opting to NOT vote for either Obama or Romney oppose Obama and would like to see him lose, but by not voting for the only candidate that can defeat him, you are giving the advantage to Obama..

IF you had to choose between Obama and Romney which would it be?

As I said, at the end of this day, one way or the other they will have the man in the WH they want.

No third party, or independent can possibly win against the BILLIONS spent on Obama and Romney...

Maybe if that changes in the future a 3rd choice will have a chance...

Maybe!

Again, good luck!
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 01:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
IF you had to choose between Obama and Romney which would it be?

Neither. In reality I don't have to choose between the lesser of the 2 evil "choices". I would not vote for a presidential candidate if there was no other option than Obamney.

And that's exactly what some of us are trying to do. Things aren't going to change by voting for the same pieces of crap from the same corrupt parties over and over again...
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 01:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

And that's exactly what some of us are trying to do. Things aren't going to change by voting for the same pieces of crap from the same corrupt parties over and over again...

When there is a 3rd choice that the people can support and that can outspend both the democrats and republicans then you'll have a chance...

You have to outspend them:

[link to www.studentnewsie.com]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

By the way, the actual monies spent are more than what is in that report, but who is counting really?

Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 01:37 PM
Report Abusive Post

When there is a 3rd choice that the people can support and that can outspend both the democrats and republicans then you'll have a chance...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

By the way, the actual monies spent are more than what is in that report, but who is counting really?

So I should vote for someone I don't agree because they can spend more money? Is that what you're honestly trying to tell me?

The 2 major parties have done everything they can to keep a viable 3rd party option off the table. By voting for either of these 2 clowns, you are telling them you accept and support them doing that. Do you support the RNC and DNC keeping 3rd parties out of the game?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20240182
United States
11/06/2012 01:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Was told that my entire ballot would be thrown out if I wrote in a presidential candidate... which would be Ron Paul. Voted for Gary.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 01:48 PM
Report Abusive Post

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So I should vote for someone I don't agree because they can spend more money? Is that what you're honestly trying to tell me?

The 2 major parties have done everything they can to keep a viable 3rd party option off the table. By voting for either of these 2 clowns, you are telling them you accept and support them doing that. Do you support the RNC and DNC keeping 3rd parties out of the game?

I think you should vote for whoever you wish to, and that is entirely your choice... That is not at all the point I am trying to make here.

I want you to see just how rigged our fake 'democracy' really is, and ultimately what "we the people" are fighting against.

Until the majority wake up to this, it isn't ever going to change...

Our country is controlled by special interests, lobbyists, and foreign interests, corporations and financial entities.... NOT by the will of the people.

I know, it's just a vote, but you should at least know what is really going on here.

We decline with each election cycle and have a bad economy because of the corruption that has a death grip on our government and our 'democracy'

Real change can only come when the majority of people wake up.

Sadly, they control the media and all of the influencing factors.. It may be futile.

It is what it is...
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/06/2012 01:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Those of you who say we are wasting our votes on third party candidates are under the MISTAKEN impression that the popular vote actually *counts* for something.

It doesn't.

The electoral college has all the power... and even then the votes only count for the whole state -- the whole basket of them goes to one candidate or another... not district by district, which would at least be more representative of the truth.

As it is, the electoral college members have NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to vote the way their constituents want. Which makes them susceptible to the same corruption that has tainted Washington DC for a very, very long time.

I am voting my conscience --and as such, my vote will NEVER be wasted.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/06/2012 01:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Was told that my entire ballot would be thrown out if I wrote in a presidential candidate... which would be Ron Paul. Voted for Gary.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 20240182

!!? Which state are you in?

GLP