Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,538 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 166,416
Pageviews Today: 278,247Threads Today: 88Posts Today: 1,641
03:37 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

FAWLTY TOWERS: Best British Sitcom Ever. Starring John Cleese.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26845387
United Kingdom
11/06/2012 01:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: FAWLTY TOWERS: Best British Sitcom Ever. Starring John Cleese.
Was Fawlty Towers, starring John Cleese of Monty Python fame, the best British sitcom ever? I thought it was hilarious.

Basil Fawlty
Sybil Fawlty
Polly
Manuel (Que?!)
The Major
 Quoting: Thor's Hamster

OMG!!! Its FAULTY, not FAWLTY!!!

Learn to spell, MORAN!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26776851

Manuel? is that you?

"You'll have to forgive him. He's from Barca^^^Guadalajara
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27121037
China
11/06/2012 01:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Im remembering it now, the psychiatrist says to Fawlty "how often do you manage it?" he's talking about how often he has a holiday but Fawlty thinks he wants to know how often he has sex to see if he's normal or notlmao
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1368041
11/06/2012 01:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
You, Sir are a man amongst whelps! Bless your soul for restoring my faith in Americans. Fawlty Towers is not just a tv comedy...it is the 12 Gospels!
The Lord, John Cleese (J.C. lol) bless and keep you and yours :-)
Up and Down
User ID: 26289251
Australia
11/06/2012 01:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
And the stairs, something was not quite right, must have O'Reily look at them.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25816768
United Kingdom
11/06/2012 01:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
nooo, that was a very long time ago. much much funnier stuff has been written since then

fawlty towers has become one of those british memes, or brands, that jonny foreigner likes to quote when they think of the 'the british sense of humour'

some of it was pretty funny but i always found basil to be stupid to the point of disbelief and annoyance

sybil, on the other hand was brilliant
Anonymous Coward
11/06/2012 01:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm not a fan of most Brit shows but this one has always been one of my favorite all time shows. Too bad they only made 12 episodes.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6630717

Untouchable 12 episodes...
Thor's Hamster  (OP)

User ID: 25536398
United States
11/06/2012 01:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
nooo, that was a very long time ago. much much funnier stuff has been written since then

fawlty towers has become one of those british memes, or brands, that jonny foreigner likes to quote when they think of the 'the british sense of humour'

some of it was pretty funny but i always found basil to be stupid to the point of disbelief and annoyance

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25816768

Oh man, Cleese OWNED that role. Basil Fawlty was one of the best television characters ever! And throw in Manuel and the others, and it was perfect!
Apollo astronauts couldn't have passed through Van Allen's Belt. Van Allen wore suspenders.
Thor's Hamster  (OP)

User ID: 25536398
United States
11/06/2012 01:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Was Fawlty Towers, starring John Cleese of Monty Python fame, the best British sitcom ever? I thought it was hilarious.

Basil Fawlty
Sybil Fawlty
Polly
Manuel (Que?!)
The Major

Learn to spell, MORAN!

Manuel? is that you?

"You'll have to forgive him. He's from Barca^^^Guadalajara
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26845387

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
Apollo astronauts couldn't have passed through Van Allen's Belt. Van Allen wore suspenders.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26289251
Australia
11/06/2012 01:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Bust his ass...break your bottom

Flowery Twats
Anonymous Coward
11/06/2012 01:24 PM
Report Abusive Post

Pretty funny?'Pretty funny?? You must be one of O'Reilleys men! Agreed though that sybil was brilliant.
And I loved Terry the chef and his cockney accent.
'Karate, hey?'
'Well, it's a kinda karate innit?'

The Kipper and the Corpse (a.k.a. Death) (series 2)
Basil : Good morning, good morning.
Miss Gatsby: Oh you're very cheerful this morning, Mr Fawlty.
Basil : Yes, well one of the guests has just died.

And possibly my all time favourite...

Communication Problems (a.k.a. Theft) (series 2)
Mrs Richards: And another thing. I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil : [whispering to Manuel] Deaf, Mad and Blind. [To Mrs Richards] Yes, this is the view as far as I can remember... yes, yes it is.
Mrs Richards: When I pay for a view, I expect something more interesting than that.
Basil : But that is Torquay, madam.
Mrs Richards: Well it's not good enough.
Basil : Well may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The
Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain...
Mrs Richards: [interrupting] Don't be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil : You CAN see the sea! It's over there between the land and the sky!
Mrs Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that.
Basil : Well might I suggest you move to a hotel closer to the sea. Or preferably in it.
Mrs Richards: Now listen to me. I'm not satisified but I've decided to stay. HOWEVER, I shall expect a deduction.
Basil : Why, because Krakatoa isn't erupting at the moment?
Mrs Richards: Because the room is cold, the bath is too small, the view is invisible and the raio doesn't work.
Basil : No, the radio works. You don't.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24966437
South Africa
11/06/2012 01:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
'Allo 'Allo was excellent, too!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27142624
Mexico
11/06/2012 01:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Fire.

Wot?

Fire!

FIRE!!!!

lol. The practice drill episode.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26776851
Mexico
11/06/2012 01:25 PM
Report Abusive Post

Basil Fawlty
Sybil Fawlty
Polly
Manuel (Que?!)
The Major

Learn to spell, MORAN!

Not sure if you're trolling or not....

[link to www.imdb.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1055574

I was talking to the organ grinder (OP) not his monkey (you).

Manuel could spell shit neever, he couldnt even speak his own language russian very well...

I wonder if they had a fawlty mind like the other darling so-ville?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11104365
United States
11/06/2012 01:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
I like to the manor born and keeping up appearances... British humor is very witty unlike american's dumbed down comedy... Tim Allen? Seriously???
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11104365
United States
11/06/2012 01:29 PM
Report Abusive Post

Basil Fawlty
Sybil Fawlty
Polly
Manuel (Que?!)
The Major

Learn to spell, MORAN!

Not sure if you're trolling or not....

[link to www.imdb.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1055574

I was talking to the organ grinder (OP) not his monkey (you).

Manuel could spell shit neever, he couldnt even speak his own language russian very well...

I wonder if they had a fawlty mind like the other darling so-ville?

Manuel was from Spain... hello.
Anonymous Coward
11/06/2012 01:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
'Allo 'Allo was excellent, too!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24966437

Absolutely! Good call :-)
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/06/2012 01:30 PM
Report Abusive Post

Oh man, Cleese OWNED that role. Basil Fawlty was one of the best television characters ever! And throw in Manuel and the others, and it was perfect!

but his character quickly became predicable. there wasnt much to believe about his character, especially the way he would just keep digging himself in to a deeper and deeper hole. just didnt come across as credible, or likeable for that matter. i could fully sympathise with sybil, who was several times more intelligent and competent than him

1dunno1

theres a ton of far more funny and clever stuff out there. times have moved on since fawlty towers and benny hill

i was just trying to think of the last time i laughed out load at a comedy. the other night i was watching an episode of 'friday night dinner', and a few days before that i caught a repeat of an episode of 'green room'

funny, clever stuff! although obv, each to their own!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25778304
Iran
11/06/2012 01:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
i suggest to watch "black books" ;)
Thor's Hamster  (OP)

User ID: 25498065
United States
11/06/2012 01:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm laughing hard at these Fawlty Tower scenes you guys are posting! LOL!!!!!!!! Great memories you have!
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/06/2012 01:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

Pretty funny?'Pretty funny?? You must be one of O'Reilleys men! Agreed though that sybil was brilliant.
And I loved Terry the chef and his cockney accent.
'Karate, hey?'
'Well, it's a kinda karate innit?'

The Kipper and the Corpse (a.k.a. Death) (series 2)
Basil : Good morning, good morning.
Miss Gatsby: Oh you're very cheerful this morning, Mr Fawlty.
Basil : Yes, well one of the guests has just died.

And possibly my all time favourite...

Communication Problems (a.k.a. Theft) (series 2)
Mrs Richards: And another thing. I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil : [whispering to Manuel] Deaf, Mad and Blind. [To Mrs Richards] Yes, this is the view as far as I can remember... yes, yes it is.
Mrs Richards: When I pay for a view, I expect something more interesting than that.
Basil : But that is Torquay, madam.
Mrs Richards: Well it's not good enough.
Basil : Well may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The
Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain...
Mrs Richards: [interrupting] Don't be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil : You CAN see the sea! It's over there between the land and the sky!
Mrs Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that.
Basil : Well might I suggest you move to a hotel closer to the sea. Or preferably in it.
Mrs Richards: Now listen to me. I'm not satisified but I've decided to stay. HOWEVER, I shall expect a deduction.
Basil : Why, because Krakatoa isn't erupting at the moment?
Mrs Richards: Because the room is cold, the bath is too small, the view is invisible and the raio doesn't work.
Basil : No, the radio works. You don't.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1368041

honestly, i think the british dont rate it as highly as others do. we have such a rich catalogue of comedy here. we churn it out like second nature
of course it IS highly rated here but it is a classic

like the beatles though, its another one of those british things that springs to mind as a british band, and yet there are soooo many bands that have contributed just as much, if not more

it seems that only a tiny % of our creative talent seems to exported
Anonymous Coward
11/06/2012 01:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
The Black Adder is another :-)
Anonymous Coward
Mexico
11/06/2012 01:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

but his character quickly became predicable. there wasnt much to believe about his character, especially the way he would just keep digging himself in to a deeper and deeper hole. just didnt come across as credible, or likeable for that matter. i could fully sympathise with sybil, who was several times more intelligent and competent than him

1dunno1

theres a ton of far more funny and clever stuff out there. times have moved on since fawlty towers and benny hill

i was just trying to think of the last time i laughed out load at a comedy. the other night i was watching an episode of 'friday night dinner', and a few days before that i caught a repeat of an episode of 'green room'

You are right, of course. And Fawlty Towers is definitely dated -- way to racey for todays tastes. But its scripts were a winner while it lasted. Another oldey I liked was Mr PrimeMinister. And I esp liked the uncanned laughter -- they didnt need it. Does the UK have laws against canned laughter?
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/06/2012 01:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
I like to the manor born and keeping up appearances... British humor is very witty unlike american's dumbed down comedy... Tim Allen? Seriously???
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11104365

see now, both of those are considered really 'old'. theyre good, but 25 has passed since then, lol
meletos

User ID: 26788411
Sweden
11/06/2012 01:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
This is also a classic.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/06/2012 01:43 PM
Report Abusive Post

1dunno1

You are right, of course. And Fawlty Towers is definitely dated -- way to racey for todays tastes. But its scripts were a winner while it lasted. Another oldey I liked was Mr PrimeMinister. And I esp liked the uncanned laughter -- they didnt need it. Does the UK have laws against canned laughter?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27142624

oh, yes prime minister is good, and very insightful as to the machinations of the civil service!

i dont think we have laws regarding canned laughter, we just dont really use it, not sure we like it really

'the royle family' is hilarious but theres no laughter, no live audience. just you and the tv
Anonymous Coward
11/06/2012 01:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump for British comedy!
Its not me.
User ID: 4543488
Australia
11/06/2012 01:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great show.

Funniest ever maybe.

Also check out "peep show".
Winston
User ID: 4419164
United Kingdom
11/06/2012 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
FT and BA are right up there, but there was a sitcom called "Still Game" that tops the tree for me. I suspect the TV chiefs decided the Scottish dialogue was impossible for the USA market, though.....youtube to the rescue

[youtube] [link to www.youtube.com]
Anonymous Coward
Mexico
11/06/2012 01:58 PM
Report Abusive Post

1dunno1

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27142624

oh, yes prime minister is good, and very insightful as to the machinations of the civil service!

i dont think we have laws regarding canned laughter, we just dont really use it, not sure we like it really

'the royle family' is hilarious but theres no laughter, no live audience. just you and the tv

Ah right, YES Prime Minister. Of course...

One critique though was when they brought in the female Thatcherite advisor to counter Sir Humphrey. Distasteful IMO. It was better with more intl themes (sucking up to the Americans, Trident, Soviets) and less overtly parochial and pro Thatcher..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25552434
United Kingdom
11/06/2012 01:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great show.

Ab Fab is another classic, too.

GLP