Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26361720
United States
11/06/2012 12:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Former ‘Extreme Couponer’ Admits: It’s a Waste of Time
ttown take note.

For obvious reasons, the idea that you can snag hundreds of dollars worth of groceries for next to nothing has become exceptionally popular with today’s debt-ridden, budget-strapped masses. But does the “extreme couponing” popularized on TV actually pay off?

Of course not. The idea seemed unlikely in the beginning and seems even more so now that more shoppers have tried to mimic the astounding money-saving acrobatics displayed on the TLC show Extreme Couponing.

Read more: [link to business.time.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 26361720
United States
11/06/2012 12:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Former ‘Extreme Couponer’ Admits: It’s a Waste of Time
When you do the extreme couponing and your goal is to save as much as you can, it’s not really so much about getting useful products as it is about getting products that you can get for free.
BRIEF

User ID: 381742
United States
11/06/2012 12:58 PM

Report Abusive Post
I hate cheapskates.
I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Watching the world

User ID: 25510849
United States
11/06/2012 01:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
I hate cheapskates.
 Quoting: BRIEF

Agreed!

ohyeah
Ignorance is bliss until reality bites you in the ass.

I take care of the dead...always.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26727474
United States
11/06/2012 01:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
I love this! I always knew it wasn't worth it! Got so sick of people telling me to spend my Sundays clipping newspapers apart.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17989851
United States
11/06/2012 01:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
I love this! I always knew it wasn't worth it! Got so sick of people telling me to spend my Sundays clipping newspapers apart.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26727474

If you can find coupons for items you would be buying anyway, why not clip them and use them?
BRIEF

User ID: 381742
United States
11/06/2012 01:27 PM

Report Abusive Post

If you can find coupons for items you would be buying anyway, why not clip them and use them?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17989851

That's what normal people do...the freaks OP is referring to are the ones that write the manufacturers and ask for free shit and combine 20 different coupons to get as much free stuff as possible.
I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Kissplash

User ID: 18998054
United States
11/06/2012 01:43 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's what normal people do...the freaks OP is referring to are the ones that write the manufacturers and ask for free shit and combine 20 different coupons to get as much free stuff as possible.

See this is why it's not worth it to some of them...because they can't abuse the system anymore. Use coupons the right way you can get things you need and want on the cheap, not always free, but cheap. For instance...ShopRite will only allow 4 alike coupons. And they limit sales too. Even the one guy who shopped at ShopRite on one the episodes would have been flagged had he not had special permission with the heads at ShopRite. They also had to get filming rights too. The fact that they were donating helped them too. The real truth is you have to know the rules and keep to them. The extremers have now been called out and they will have to follow the rules now too. Don't like coupons that's okay. It's not for everybody. My MIL (Bless her! I luvs her!) usually always pays full price. I'm the one cringing when her bill comes! I'm like...hey I could have given you coupons for half of this! She just smiles and shrugs. LOL!
LEARN HOW TO BE KIND OR BE LEFT BEHIND. OXOXO
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10372663
United States
11/06/2012 01:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
This is funny because my wife uses coupons every week and never looks at a newspaper she gets just what she needs and only what she wants off the net.

Waste of time? I DON'T THINK SO!!!! If you don't try to reduce your costs and get a freebie bonus on the side you're either stupid or really really lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24842937
United States
11/06/2012 01:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
you call 50% off BACON a waste of time? I don't think so.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10372663
United States
11/06/2012 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You telling us what freaks are HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

Lemme guess you consider yourself normal?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27132632
United States
11/06/2012 02:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have stopped using coupons.In the past there some really good savings but not anymore.
"Extreme" being the key word here as to why the coupons are changing so much.
Before if you had a coupon for 50 cents and the store doubled to a $1 you could see savings but then the hoarders started and its a thing of the past.
Now a lot of stores have stopped doubling,there is a limit of three coupons on 3 of the same items.Ever see someone with a cart with 20 boxes of the same thing and oodles of coupons,well thats been stopped as it should be.
Now a lot of the 50 cent coupons will require you to buy 2 items to get the 50 cents off.

Reminds me of when the companies use to offer rebates and you had to send in the proof of purchase.Seldom see that anymore because people were going in the stores and ripping the proof of purchase off the package and then putting it back on the shelf which made it next to impossible for the store to sell an item in a damaged package.
I was always happy to get a few bucks off my weekly grocery bill using the coupons as they were suppose to be used.But like anything else there will always be people that has to go to the extremes and cause it to be stopped.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1550123
United States
11/06/2012 02:13 PM
Report Abusive Post

The people who do this are mentally ill. They actually make themselves this way from their greediness. I think they are a lot like hoarders.
KimmieAnnaJones

User ID: 10039683
United States
11/06/2012 02:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
LOL, please believe this!!!!!!! It is a waste of time since the values have been lowered on coupons because of so many joining in on the game. That awful show ruined it for those of us that have been using coupons for years.
"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." - I AM

Vote for people that have a track record for loving your Constitution or lose your country forever!!!

Put down the damn touchy feely koolaid and WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!!

:militia:
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 02:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
When you do the extreme couponing and your goal is to save as much as you can, it’s not really so much about getting useful products as it is about getting products that you can get for free.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26361720

Thats just stupid.Free isnt what the coupon company is offering.They are offering a savings on their product.
I dont see the point of getting something just because its free.If its not useful to you then dont take it.It may be useful to someone else
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2012 02:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
LOL, please believe this!!!!!!! It is a waste of time since the values have been lowered on coupons because of so many joining in on the game. That awful show ruined it for those of us that have been using coupons for years.
 Quoting: KimmieAnnaJones

Exactly.I use to average $15 savings weekly.I was happy with that.Now I save nothing because I no longer use them since they have changed them so much.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23755636
United Kingdom
11/06/2012 02:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
I hate cheapskates.

Ahhh Self-Hate.... you could probably see someone about that if you weren't such a cheapskate...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3570422
United States
11/06/2012 02:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
I've got a show some of the extreme couponers need to be on: hoarders....obviously they have a hoard of useless crap they wont use.
KimmieAnnaJones

User ID: 10039683
United States
11/06/2012 02:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
I hate cheapskates.

So you never shop during sales? You never haggle down the price of a car? You never look at the price of gas?
"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." - I AM

Vote for people that have a track record for loving your Constitution or lose your country forever!!!

Put down the damn touchy feely koolaid and WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!!

:militia:
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26760415
United States
11/06/2012 02:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
I hate store cards and coupons.

I like consistent low and transparent pricing. Coupons and store cards and store "cash" confuse and misdirect the consumer making price comparison difficult.

I will no longer shop at Kohl's due their maddening pricing, coupons and store cash. It is grossly manipulative. I avoid CVS and Walgreen's as much as I can for the same reason. And others as well.

I shop at Trader Joe's not because I like the products so much but because the pricing is consistent and clear with no coupons or store cards.
Weasel_Turbine

User ID: 14143765
United States
11/06/2012 02:21 PM
Report Abusive Post

You'll never get enough clipping your own coupons. If however you buy them in bulk online that somebody else clipped, and go somewhere that doubles them then yes you can make it worth it. But you still should only get stuff you really need.
If you have to insist that you've won an Internet argument, you've probably lost badly. - Danth's Law
Weasel_Turbine

User ID: 14143765
United States
11/06/2012 02:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ever see someone with a cart with 20 boxes of the same thing and oodles of coupons,well thats been stopped as it should be.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27132632

why? If the coupons are valid the store gets paid for them. Why should they care if you are buying 3 or 30 of an item?
If you have to insist that you've won an Internet argument, you've probably lost badly. - Danth's Law
darkwolf007

User ID: 3974719
United States
11/06/2012 02:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
I hate cheapskates.

No, BRIEF, it's "Extreme Cheapskates". lol
Conspiracy Theorist is nothing more than a derogatory title used to dismiss a critical thinker.

A time is coming when men will go mad,
and when they see someone who is not mad,
they will attack him, saying,
'You are mad; you are not like us."
-- St. Anthony The Great

Social Credit Loser here.
Lada D

User ID: 20712268
United States
11/06/2012 02:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
If companies and stores want me to save money, they can just reduce the goddamned cost of things.

All this time and effort of coupons costs money. Just lower your prices and I'll buy your shit if I need/want it.

That's it.
Corn Dog

User ID: 27064149
United States
11/06/2012 02:31 PM

Report Abusive Post
There’s a strong argument to be made that utilizing couponing as something of a part-time job is pointless because, considering the amount of time that’s required, you’d wind up making (or saving, as it were) far more money with an actual part-time job. What’s more, a paycheck is generally considered superior to, say, a stockpile of 50 jars of tomato sauce.

So I should stop using coupons and get a second job? I am a couponer and I have no desire to get a part-time job so I can afford groceries. Personally I enjoy planning my shopping trip- my children help organize things but according to the Time article, I should be busting my ass at another job, away from my family and home because I would save more money???!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 664728
New Zealand
11/06/2012 02:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
coupons are only available for heavily processed chemical junk

that is why I never used them when we lived in the US
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24028110
United States
11/06/2012 02:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
It sorta depends...
My wife did it for a few months, and now I have 6 deodorant sticks waiting for me to use, and their not even my brand. Same goes for some shampoos stocked up. For the things that you do use, sure, it's handy, but for other stuff like the above mentioned... stocking stuffers? Awkward.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22944883
United States
11/06/2012 02:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
I only spend $30-40 per $100 of groceries I pick up. Not a waste of time to me! I don't hoard plastic forks and shaving cream or anything like that. I do hoard cans of soup though, and I'm not sorry.
angryface
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1135376
United States
Report Abusive Post
if your free time is worthless, then sure knock yourself out, most of the items are processed foods or full of chemicals.
coupon still supports the idea that we really "need" their products

try "less is more"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21666560
United States
Report Abusive Post
There’s a strong argument to be made that utilizing couponing as something of a part-time job is pointless because, considering the amount of time that’s required, you’d wind up making (or saving, as it were) far more money with an actual part-time job. What’s more, a paycheck is generally considered superior to, say, a stockpile of 50 jars of tomato sauce.

So I should stop using coupons and get a second job? I am a couponer and I have no desire to get a part-time job so I can afford groceries. Personally I enjoy planning my shopping trip- my children help organize things but according to the Time article, I should be busting my ass at another job, away from my family and home because I would save more money???!!!
 Quoting: Corn Dog

comprehension fail...

your quote clearly states that "utilizing couponing AS something of a part-time job..."

you obviously aren't doing that. there are some people that spend 20+ hours a week couponing in an effort to save money and the article is saying that if you just worked those 20+ hours at a part-time job, you'd be making more money than you'd be saving.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22944883
United States
11/06/2012 02:46 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Corn Dog

comprehension fail...

your quote clearly states that "utilizing couponing AS something of a part-time job..."

you obviously aren't doing that. there are some people that spend 20+ hours a week couponing in an effort to save money and the article is saying that if you just worked those 20+ hours at a part-time job, you'd be making more money than you'd be saving.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 21666560

I clip coupons in the evenings while I talk with my family or we watch shows and listen to the radio. It's not EVEN difficult.

GLP