Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,167 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 757,307
Pageviews Today: 1,335,514Threads Today: 566Posts Today: 9,761
03:36 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Warning about Methylprednisolone (Drug of Death)

Please Pin uP ! :(
User ID: 22818197
Puerto Rico
11/07/2012 06:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Warning about Methylprednisolone (Drug of Death)
Corticosteroid withdrawal....

Use of high-dose steroids "for more than a week" begins to produce suppression of the patient's adrenal glands because the exogenous glucocorticoids suppress hypothalamic corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) and pituitary adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). With prolonged suppression, the adrenal glands atrophy (physically shrink), and can take months to recover full function after discontinuation of the exogenous glucocorticoid. During this recovery time, the patient is vulnerable to adrenal insufficiency during times of stress,such as illness.

The most serious side effect occurs after the adrenal glands cease natural production of cortisol, which methylprednisolone will replace. Abrupt cessation of the drug after this occurs can result in a condition known as Addisonian crisis, which can be fatal.

Having natural Cortisol depleted on a cold turkey dose quit the person under the drug withdrawal can commit suicide under the psycological stress the withdrawal produces ..

My son Emmanuel on 11/1/2012 commited suicide ..

Emmanuel dose was not steped down, his dose was cut cold turkey causing a drop in natural cortisol that aparently led to a crisis he tried to scape by suicide.

The intent of this post is to warn others about the harmfull effects this drug produces and to investigate if similar cases has happened to others ..

Emmanuel Was 20 years at his death ...
y_tears A young man with great promise hopes & dreams truncated by a drug he was not able to handle and us his parents had no information on its withdrawal effects .

Pining will be greatly aprecciated so others get informed.

Thanks me his father ... too_sad
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1302314
Australia
11/07/2012 06:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Warning about Methylprednisolone (Drug of Death)
Yeah this is a well known killer drug...they overprescribe it for everything and anything..the best side-effect of it is that it makes the face round and chubby permenantly
Sophy

User ID: 26877945
United States
11/07/2012 06:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wow. So very sorry.
More info ...... (OP)
Puerto Rico
11/07/2012 06:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
Emmanuel Was being Treated for a non-medicaly clearly identified cause muscular problem ....
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Puerto Rico
11/07/2012 05:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Treyfish

User ID: 14756837
United States
11/07/2012 05:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Sorry for your loss.bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25512421
United States
11/07/2012 05:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thoughts and prayers to you...

im on them, have been as high as 60mg day but now down to 20, and doc wants me off totally, not sure i can do it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26358013
United States
11/07/2012 05:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
sorry, thx for letting people know
Philligan
in rainbows

User ID: 3197605
United States
11/07/2012 06:08 PM

Report Abusive Post
I am very sorry OP.

Your strength inspires me
Pray for Us Sinners Now and at the Hour of our Death
User ID: 1326993
United States
11/07/2012 06:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
The weak shall perish.
God Loves ALL

User ID: 26916259
United States
11/07/2012 06:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

Use of high-dose steroids "for more than a week" begins to produce suppression of the patient's adrenal glands because the exogenous glucocorticoids suppress hypothalamic corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) and pituitary adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). With prolonged suppression, the adrenal glands atrophy (physically shrink), and can take months to recover full function after discontinuation of the exogenous glucocorticoid. During this recovery time, the patient is vulnerable to adrenal insufficiency during times of stress,such as illness.

The most serious side effect occurs after the adrenal glands cease natural production of cortisol, which methylprednisolone will replace. Abrupt cessation of the drug after this occurs can result in a condition known as Addisonian crisis, which can be fatal.

Having natural Cortisol depleted on a cold turkey dose quit the person under the drug withdrawal can commit suicide under the psycological stress the withdrawal produces ..

Emmanuel dose was not steped down, his dose was cut cold turkey causing a drop in natural cortisol that aparently led to a crisis he tried to scape by suicide.

The intent of this post is to warn others about the harmfull effects this drug produces and to investigate if similar cases has happened to others ..

y_tears A young man with great promise hopes & dreams truncated by a drug he was not able to handle and us his parents had no information on its withdrawal effects .

Quoting: Please Pin uP ! :( 22818197

Having had to experience this myself, it is horrible and dangerous indeed to cold turkey. Please accept my condolences on Emmanuel, I know of what he experienced, except I being a nurse, knew better. The depression alone from insufficient steroid, IS terrible as is the body pain.

My own pituitary failed from long stress , blood loss and illness and I had to supplement steroid, and the stupid doctors and nurses very nearly killed me when I went in seriously ill which produces HUGE need for more and would not give to me what I needed. Finally ONE doctor who showed hours and hours later LISTENED to me and got me on it IV quickly and saved my life. Which was not have been from suicide because I KNOW, but it well could have happened from the lack of that vital substance, which is as important as water to life. In fact more. The abdominal pain and leg pain during not enough is incredible and I suggest it wasn't just depression but the pain he could not endure. red_heart

Last Edited by God Loves ALL on 11/07/2012 06:21 PM
The actual Lord's Prayer Given by Jesus 2000 years ago.

"MY SPIRIT, YOU ARE OMNIPOTENT. YOUR NAME IS HOLY. MAY YOUR REALM BE INCARNATE IN ME. MAY YOUR POWER REVEAL ITSELF WITHIN ME, ON EARTH AND IN THE HEAVEN. GIVE ME TODAY MY DAILY BREAD, AND THUS, LET ME RECOGNIZE MY TRANSGRESSIONS AND ERRORS, AND I SHALL RECOGNIZE THE TRUTH. AND DO NOT LEAD ME INTO TEMPTATION AND CONFUSION, BUT DELIVER ME FROM ERROR. FOR YOURS IS THE REALM WITHIN ME AND THE POWER AND THE KNOWLEDGE FOREVER,
AMEN.

Nice video: [link to www.youtube.com] Make this World a Better One

Thread: Walter Russell Quotes Walter Russell thread
Meggarea

User ID: 1585244
United States
11/07/2012 06:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
My heart goes out to you. RIP Emmanuel.
Southernbella

User ID: 954820
United States
11/07/2012 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
So sorry about the loss of your son.

hugs
taniatarn

User ID: 13048372
New Zealand
11/07/2012 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Please Pin uP ! :( 22818197

So sorry to hear of your loss. That is very tragic and the doctors should have made sure you were well informed that the drug should never be stopped cold turkey, after long term use.

But that is irrelevant now for you...so again- so sorry sorry that you lost your son.

verysad

Last Edited by taniatarn on 11/07/2012 06:44 PM
Interested observer of all things interesting!

Please note : Where appropriate for posted images/ graphs I acknowledge the New Zealand GeoNet project and its sponsors EQC, GNS Science and LINZ, for providing data/images used in my study and analyses of Volcanic and Earthquake information in New Zealand.
* Lucky Star *

User ID: 4090467
United States
11/07/2012 06:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
prayers to you and your family.hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25664589
United States
11/07/2012 07:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Very sorry to htear about the loss of your Emmanuel.
Thank-you for the information on Methylprednisolone.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22459462
Portugal
11/07/2012 07:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
It happens a lot more than one could imagine. Not only this drug, but any drug that causes habituation.. especially benzodiazepines. And being such a well studied effect how can someone advise or prescribe any treatment and not follow the process to make sure the withdrawal is done correctly??

Not much one can say besides sending my strengths and friendship.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 924761
United States
11/07/2012 07:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you OP for letting us know.
hugs verysad
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12574507
Chile
11/07/2012 08:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm sorry for your loss!! really, from my heart.

hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26048166
United States
11/07/2012 08:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was given over 16 injections of corticosteroids in 3 months. I developed Cushings after the last injection in July. I was sick & I had every adverse reaction to steroids listed in manu inserts. During the injections, I complained of muscle aches, symptoms of neuropathy, joint pain, long list. No doctor I went to, had a clue what was wrong.... There only answer? Kept injecting me. Almost died over this. Two & 1/2 months ago, went into acute steroid withdrawal syndrome. I'm in my secondary faze of w/d now. I'm still suffering from the adverse effects & w/d. I have tendon atrophy, muscle atrophy & myalgia, myositis, and a host of symptoms-too many to list.

What I learned? This is an area of two things. Uninformed & uneducated doctors who have no knowledge of steroid withdrawal & appropriate dosaging. And, there is a code not to duscuss this with patients. some docs know these are bad for us, but money is made from them. I called poison control & received more info on steroid side effects than every doctor I've seen. I only needed help with some trigger points in my shoulders....turned into a nightmare. My withdrawal was a slow death. It was hell.

I want every doctor educated and I want it known how toxic these corticosteroids can be. Yes, they save lives but there are many, many people who are suffering from steroid adverse events, overdosing, and withdrawal syndrome, and physicians do not have a clue what it is. Or, they treat the patient like its all made up.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25936253
United States
11/07/2012 08:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
verysad
God Loves ALL

User ID: 27266978
United States
11/07/2012 08:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
It happens a lot more than one could imagine. Not only this drug, but any drug that causes habituation.. especially benzodiazepines. And being such a well studied effect how can someone advise or prescribe any treatment and not follow the process to make sure the withdrawal is done correctly??

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22459462

yep those are really bad, my getting off of Klonopin was not pretty. I was put on it for restless legs. I did not have an "addiction" to it, meaning I wanted more and more. I took the same dose at bedtime every night for a couples years or more until we found out my restless legs were serious magnesium deficiency. If I forget my magnesium during the day, I will have restless legs during the night. MOST of restless legs is magnesium deficiency, but sometimes Potassium or calcium for some people.
The actual Lord's Prayer Given by Jesus 2000 years ago.

"MY SPIRIT, YOU ARE OMNIPOTENT. YOUR NAME IS HOLY. MAY YOUR REALM BE INCARNATE IN ME. MAY YOUR POWER REVEAL ITSELF WITHIN ME, ON EARTH AND IN THE HEAVEN. GIVE ME TODAY MY DAILY BREAD, AND THUS, LET ME RECOGNIZE MY TRANSGRESSIONS AND ERRORS, AND I SHALL RECOGNIZE THE TRUTH. AND DO NOT LEAD ME INTO TEMPTATION AND CONFUSION, BUT DELIVER ME FROM ERROR. FOR YOURS IS THE REALM WITHIN ME AND THE POWER AND THE KNOWLEDGE FOREVER,
AMEN.

Nice video: [link to www.youtube.com] Make this World a Better One

Thread: Walter Russell Quotes Walter Russell thread
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/07/2012 09:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP, I've never told my story to anyone...as I'm still in recovery faze. My family knows first hand what happened to me, but I am a victim of this, as well.

First, my heart aches for you and your son. I'm just so sorry this happened to him and to you and all of your family. You are in my heart and my thoughts and will be, forever.

Your son received one of the most potent glucocorticosteroids. My experience was betamethasone and kenalog, amongst one other.

OP, my addrenals were suppressed (it is now assumed) during the summer and into Sept 2012. The emotional effects are real and serious. I thought about suicide. I did not tell anyone, because the e/r had treated me as if this was all made up. My family knew this was not me, and were frustrated and irritated with these doctors as well. Steroid w/d syndrome is misunderstood and underdiagnosed/misdiagnosed. The one area no physician, except my PCP, understood the depression and panic attacks. Your son was in pain and no one understood and they failed to help and protect him. My addrenals were 'ok' however, my tests were influenced by stress (can increase cortisol in blood work). I am still under going more addrenal testing. I began taking massive amounts of Vit C and several other supplements when the w/d started, because I was terrified of addrenal crashing. I went orthostatic at one point, from the w/d and ended up in the e/r via ambulance. And, no one, again, medically understood what was happening.

I am with you...I'm with you in this fight and I promise you this; when I am fully recovered, it is within me to go fwd with this story, and push for more education and patient informing, regarding the side effects of corticosteroids. Like you son, they pumped me full of it, and cold turkey'd me too.

I will fight for your son. I will fight for you. It's those, like us, who need to go fwd with our stories. We are not alone. Most do not know what fights I've taken on regarding pharma in this country. I know where to begin and I know what it takes. It's not a guarantee, but we need to educate these people who take an oath to help us, this can not happen anymore. Your loss is unacceptable. My heart just so truly, reaches out to you.

Your son is in my prayer and so are you red_heart
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/07/2012 09:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22459462

What else...physicians will give patients who are tapering off steroids, benzos to help with the anxiety and/or depression, which can onset during the usage of steroids or during the taper. What physicians won't tell the patient...is that corticosteroids and benzos are cross-tolerant drugs. One will cancel the other one out. As well, I think, most importantly, benzos suppress the adrenals, as do steroids. As well, if you are on a benzo and going through steroid withdrawal...the benzo can affect the blood test, because of the HPA suppression.

This goes on more than we hear. Dr's just cover it up.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26300532
United States
11/07/2012 09:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you for sharing, that takes a lot of strength, I'm so sorry for your loss, i was prescribed steriods for an illness but after reading side effects i never took, all the stuff i have heard since then i am glad i never got started. People are pressured to take all kinds of dangerous drugs, i am glad someone is speaking out and hope it helps with the healing process, peace be with you

smile_kiss
taniatarn

User ID: 13048372
New Zealand
11/07/2012 09:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump

hf
Interested observer of all things interesting!

Please note : Where appropriate for posted images/ graphs I acknowledge the New Zealand GeoNet project and its sponsors EQC, GNS Science and LINZ, for providing data/images used in my study and analyses of Volcanic and Earthquake information in New Zealand.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Puerto Rico
11/11/2012 05:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Please moderator pin this up ! bump
Meggarea

User ID: 1585244
United States
11/12/2012 12:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'll throw you a bump OP. This is important info! People should be aware.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25613380
United States
11/12/2012 03:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Anotherbumpfrom me. OP, thank you for caring enough to post this so that others will know and hopefully avoid the anguish experienced by you and your son.
el3ktra

User ID: 24621917
United States
11/12/2012 06:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah. It was made by a drug company. What's your point?
BobTheDog

User ID: 27584719
United States
11/12/2012 07:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
I am so sorry about your son. Thank you for warning others about this dangerous drug. I always believed it contributed to my mother's death but did not know for sure because she was taking others, including celebrex - another dangerous one. Pharmaceuticals should be the LAST thing we go to, after all natural remedies have failed.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it’s profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” Frank Zappa

“The lies the government and media tell are amplifications of the lies we tell ourselves. To stop being conned, stop conning yourself.”
— James Wolcott

GLP