Netherlands
11/07/2012 02:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Mitt Romney’s neglect of black Americans failed him at the polls
Mitt Romney’s neglect of black Americans failed him at the polls
By Crystal Wright

[link to www.washingtonpost.com]
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney delivers his concession speech during his election night rally in Boston. (MIKE SEGAR - REUTERS)

Crystal Wright is an occasional contributor to The Root DC and is the editor of the political site “Conservative Black Chick.”.

Today is not a good morning for the GOP. President Obama won a second term. Republicans deserve the shellacking we got because the party of Lincoln is running candidates in 2012 like it’s 1860. Old white men just don’t cut it anymore and are not reflective of the changing demographics of the country. America is browning up not whitening up, as evidenced by the Census findings that minorities will make up 54 percent of the population by the year 2050.

Americans didn’t buy what the Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney was selling because he was the wrong messenger for a growing ethnically diverse population. Whites made up 72 percent of voters in 2012 of which Romney won 60 percent. But appealing to whites only wasn’t enough to carry him to the White House. The diminishing importance of the white vote is evidenced by the fact Obama earned 38 percent of the white vote, five points less than he did in 2008, according to the Wall Street Journal and still won re-election.

It’s not the message Republicans need to change but the messengers who are selling the part platform. To his credit President Obama did heavy outreach to blacks and Hispanics and it paid off. Obama increased his win of the Hispanic vote from 67 percent to 69 percent in 2012, according to exit polls. According to CNN, black voter turnout in swing states such as Pennsylvania was higher than it was in 2008, and Obama earned over 90 percent of the black vote in this election.

By contrast, Romney gave what amounted to lip service light to the Hispanic outreach. Romney and the RNC spent millions of dollars in advertising to Hispanics, yet he failed to chip away at that voting bloc because people can tell when you don’t really care about their vote.

Even more insulting was Romney’s refusal to work for the black vote beyond giving an NAACP speech and announcing a Black Leadership Council, which amounted to nothing more than cosmetic wall paper.

A year ago, the RNC hired me to create a black outreach Web site to attract more blacks to the Republican Party. After near completion of the site in the late spring of 2012, Romney and the RNC killed the project, explaining they didn’t want to launch the site without putting outreach activities behind it. I agreed and recommended a slate of outreach activities such as town hall meetings at historically black colleges and universities in swing states such as Virginia and North Carolina. The RNC refused to fund any black outreach activities.

With unemployment at nearly 8 percent or above for the past four years, crushing debt and anemic economic growth under President Obama, this election was the Republican presidential nominee’s to lose. (No president since Franklin Roosevelt won reelection when unemloyment was at or above 7.8 percent) Mitt Romney spent six years — six years — running for president as a Republican and he lost because he was the wrong candidate who then won the nomination.

After receiving the Republican nomination, Romney then refused to run a 21st century campaign. He stuck with an insular “all (white) boys club” approach to running his campaign and strategy and it showed. From the Etch-A-Sketch comment by his top operative to another cursing out reporters to refusing calls from top Republicans to retool his strategy, Romney was an out-of-touch candidate who deserved what he got but ultimately took supporters down with him. Running against Obama with the media swooning over the president in the background, Romney needed not only to be aggressive but also innovative. He was neither.

I hope Karl Rove and “the Republican establishment” are happy they rammed Romney down conservative’s throats. There’s a reason he failed to grab the nomination in 2008 and win the election in 2012. Whether Democrat or Republican, Americans want to know where you stand on the issues, moderates don’t win elections. But more importantly, what we learned from 2012 is the Republican Party needs to stop talking only to white people. It’s not working and won’t win the elections of tomorrow.

An example of the party’s backward thinking is the fact that the last time I inquired, the RNC doesn’t have one black person working in its communications department. Americans aren’t stupid. You reap what you sow.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26910686
United States
11/07/2012 02:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Mitt Romney’s neglect of black Americans failed him at the polls
Mitt wanted to be the President for ALL Americans...not just one group or race.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26629538
United States
11/07/2012 02:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mitt wanted to be the President for ALL Americans...not just one group or race.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26910686

he has kolobian citizenship not human
God Loves ALL

User ID: 26916259
United States
11/07/2012 02:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
where is mind here? He wasn't their chosen one, mo matter what he cattered too or didn't. If he didn't cater to the blacks, it was because he was not supposed to. You ones need to under you do not chose anybody, the thugs do. You are just manipulated. These elections mean NOTHING. When are you ones even here on glp going to figure that one out?
The actual Lord's Prayer Given by Jesus 2000 years ago.

"MY SPIRIT, YOU ARE OMNIPOTENT. YOUR NAME IS HOLY. MAY YOUR REALM BE INCARNATE IN ME. MAY YOUR POWER REVEAL ITSELF WITHIN ME, ON EARTH AND IN THE HEAVEN. GIVE ME TODAY MY DAILY BREAD, AND THUS, LET ME RECOGNIZE MY TRANSGRESSIONS AND ERRORS, AND I SHALL RECOGNIZE THE TRUTH. AND DO NOT LEAD ME INTO TEMPTATION AND CONFUSION, BUT DELIVER ME FROM ERROR. FOR YOURS IS THE REALM WITHIN ME AND THE POWER AND THE KNOWLEDGE FOREVER,
AMEN.

Nice video: [link to www.youtube.com] Make this World a Better One

Thread: Walter Russell Quotes Walter Russell thread
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/07/2012 02:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
where is mind here? He wasn't their chosen one, mo matter what he cattered too or didn't. If he didn't cater to the blacks, it was because he was not supposed to. You ones need to under you do not chose anybody, the thugs do. You are just manipulated. These elections mean NOTHING. When are you ones even here on glp going to figure that one out?
 Quoting: God Loves ALL

When will you realize all these threads are bait???? Jesus Christ practice what you preach man, don't waste time,
impetigo
User ID: 7446418
United States
11/07/2012 02:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
that bicycle tour of the country certainly
didn't help.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14580439
United States
11/07/2012 02:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah, blacks need that government welfare because they sure as hell can't do it on their own. Democrats know how ignorant blacks are and that the only way they can survive is with welfare.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6993099
Netherlands
11/07/2012 02:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah, blacks need that government welfare because they sure as hell can't do it on their own. Democrats know how ignorant blacks are and that the only way they can survive is with welfare.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14580439

^^^This is one of the mentalities that cost Romney the election, simple racism. The other was simple sexism on Womens issues,
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/07/2012 02:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
He told the NAACP, "If you want free stuff, vote for the other guy."

Romney didn't pander to anyone.
 Quoting: Super Bowl Dave

Link to that quote please?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6993099
Netherlands
11/07/2012 02:28 PM
Report Abusive Post

You are too stupid to even see that that ACT was a pandering to White Conservatives.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25654258
United States
11/07/2012 02:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
The ONLY reason barry won was because years of creeping liberalism has finally tipped the balance scale of government dependents! End of story!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25091961
United States
Report Abusive Post
They haven't noticed that their unemployment rate is UP under Obama.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27217283
United States
Report Abusive Post
Yup, Romney treated blacks like they were peers and Americans.

He should have treated them like the Democrats do:
Tell them they deserve special treats for being good little darkies, then laugh your ass off at them behind closed doors because of how fucking stupid blacks are.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/07/2012 02:32 PM
Report Abusive Post

Link to that quote please?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26629538

google it, it's real.

What's real?
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/07/2012 02:35 PM
Report Abusive Post

^^^This is one of the mentalities that cost Romney the election, simple racism. The other was simple sexism on Womens issues,
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6993099

What's the black population in the Netherlands? Democrats have effectively created an underclass of people here in the US that live their entire lives on the backs of taxpayers. I'm sure there are white people that are a part of this underclass, but where I live it is mostly blacks that are a part of this underclass. Democrats buy these people's votes by promising to stick it to the rich in order to maintain these government handouts. They get housing, food and now even phones. You drive to work and see them lazing around in their front yards with numerous children running about. The more children you have, the more money you get.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/07/2012 02:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

What's the black population in the Netherlands? Democrats have effectively created an underclass of people here in the US that live their entire lives on the backs of taxpayers. I'm sure there are white people that are a part of this underclass, but where I live it is mostly blacks that are a part of this underclass. Democrats buy these people's votes by promising to stick it to the rich in order to maintain these government handouts. They get housing, food and now even phones. You drive to work and see them lazing around in their front yards with numerous children running about. The more children you have, the more money you get.

You remind me of this guy from Bangladesh
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/07/2012 02:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.youtube.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25711660
United States
11/07/2012 02:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
More like his neglect of having any kind of plan
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27217283
United States
11/07/2012 02:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
More like his neglect of having any kind of plan
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25711660

Right, compared to Obama's plan.

Well, the Democrat budget.

Um, well, just continuing his successful policies....

?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 6940680
Netherlands
11/07/2012 02:40 PM
Report Abusive Post

Asshole you lost yet you persist to project the same attitude that led to your loss. Maybe you have to mourn for a while and lash out and then you will notice the other three fingers that are pointing back at yourself on your hand. If I were in the Netherlands I would be having fun with some cool down to earth people where Women are automatically paid equal pay, healthcare is universal and a Black Man holding hands with a White woman doesn't draw glares, yet here i am talking to you..
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/07/2012 02:47 PM
Report Abusive Post

Asshole you lost yet you persist to project the same attitude that led to your loss. Maybe you have to mourn for a while and lash out and then you will notice the other three fingers that are pointing back at yourself on your hand. If I were in the Netherlands I would be having fun with some cool down to earth people where Women are automatically paid equal pay, healthcare is universal and a Black Man holding hands with a White woman doesn't draw glares, yet here i am talking to you..
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6940680

No really, dude. How many black folks live in the Netherlands? I'm just stating facts. Maybe facts are racist. Where I live there is an underclass of majority black people that live their lives on the backs of taxpayers. It's just a fact.

GLP