JadeDone
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 2546215
United States
11/08/2012 12:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Broke my arm, looking for your day to day one-armed tips
So, I was herding some squabbling cats apart, slipped on my hardwood floor and landed hard enough to break my arm a couple of days ago. Fortunately, it is not my dominant arm.

I have found tons of sites talking about the care of the cast, care of the break, itch and pain management- but few tips on doing day to day things.

I'm sure over tiime I will adapt to it but I thought perhaps some of you would have things you figured out during a similar injury that you might share.

Thank you in advance!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27240112
United Kingdom
11/08/2012 12:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Broke my arm, looking for your day to day one-armed tips
Wear loose tops.
Give up on buttons.
That's all I remember, it's been ages.
BRIEF

User ID: 381742
United States
11/08/2012 12:49 PM

Report Abusive Post
Keep a firm grip and slowly squeeze the trigger, because no cat is worth breaking a bone over...
I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9645738
United States
11/08/2012 12:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
What's the sound of one hand clapping?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15082978
United Kingdom
11/08/2012 01:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
spend all day fapping thats about all you can doskull_fing
JadeDone  (OP)

United States
11/08/2012 01:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wear loose tops.
Give up on buttons.
 Quoting: The Light Under the Door

Right! Thanks! I'm glad I rediscovered how great those long, loose skirts are. Loose sleeves, makes sense. Now if I could get the bra thing figured out.
JadeDone  (OP)

United States
11/08/2012 01:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Keep a firm grip and slowly squeeze the trigger, because no cat is worth breaking a bone over...
 Quoting: BRIEF

I always suspected they were out to get me.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3697379
Canada
11/08/2012 01:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Broke my humerus in 5 places, on my off arm thankfully, worst thing about it is when your cast is off and you continue using one arm for everyday tasks.

Unless you've got someone to help you get dressed, that can be a challenge as well lol.

Best of luck
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14105059
United States
11/08/2012 01:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
What's the sound of one hand clapping?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9645738

fap fap fap
SewDucky

User ID: 23684754
United States
11/08/2012 01:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wear a sling and keep it tight. It will help to remember you can't use it. I was 13 and 33 when I broke mine (and I was a single parent at the time).

Nothing that needs to be cut up. There is nothing worse then having your mommy cut your steak as a teenager, except your pre-teen son doing it for you.

I had to give up on anything that had zippers or buttons and wore a lot of elastic pants and skirts.

Baby wipes for pooing.

Don't drive for a couple of weeks, then hope you don't have a manual. Conversely, teach your pre-teen to shift for you and practice it before you leave the driveway.

Re-use convenience store cups for a couple of weeks. The lids will help with the balance being off and nothing will spill.

Until you get used to your balance being skewed, walk barefoot at home, or wear shoes that are perfectly flat, like flip flops (even though I despise them).

All I can remember right this second.
the mighty Atom

User ID: 27087957
Japan
11/08/2012 01:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Avoid Hand-Jobs Chuckle
G.Y.!B.E.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25390958
United States
11/08/2012 01:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
pre wipe ass beforehand
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26142676
United States
11/08/2012 01:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
no masturbating!
JadeDone  (OP)

United States
11/08/2012 01:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Broke my humerus in 5 places, on my off arm thankfully, worst thing about it is when your cast is off and you continue using one arm for everyday tasks.

Unless you've got someone to help you get dressed, that can be a challenge as well lol.

Best of luck
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 3697379

Ouch!

Wear a sling and keep it tight. It will help to remember you can't use it. I was 13 and 33 when I broke mine (and I was a single parent at the time).

Nothing that needs to be cut up. There is nothing worse then having your mommy cut your steak as a teenager, except your pre-teen son doing it for you.

I had to give up on anything that had zippers or buttons and wore a lot of elastic pants and skirts.

Baby wipes for pooing.

Don't drive for a couple of weeks, then hope you don't have a manual. Conversely, teach your pre-teen to shift for you and practice it before you leave the driveway.

Re-use convenience store cups for a couple of weeks. The lids will help with the balance being off and nothing will spill.

Until you get used to your balance being skewed, walk barefoot at home, or wear shoes that are perfectly flat, like flip flops (even though I despise them).

All I can remember right this second.
 Quoting: SewDucky

Great tips, and thank you for the laugh I got envisioning my teen cutting up my steak for me! Last night he made a meatloaf and that was too much fun to watch :D
Daisy Clover

User ID: 27018171
United States
11/08/2012 01:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
There's an electric jar opener that helps with opening stuff. Electric can opener.
JadeDone  (OP)

United States
11/08/2012 01:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
There's an electric jar opener that helps with opening stuff. Electric can opener.
 Quoting: Daisy Clover

Good idea, I don't think I'll buy one but I bet I know someone who will lend me theirs. I use a lot of #30 cans so that would be handy.
BRIEF

United States
11/08/2012 01:28 PM

Report Abusive Post

Quoting: JadeDone

I'd recommend one of these, but they require two hands...and a tranquilizer dart.

catcarrier

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
JadeDone  (OP)

United States
11/08/2012 01:37 PM
Report Abusive Post

I'd recommend one of these, but they require two hands...and a tranquilizer dart.

catcarrier

The text on that is a riot. Well mannered indeed! I do worry what that would do to my karma though. My slip came just as I was about to deliver a little boot to shoo them out from under the coffee table where they were bickering. "You thought to kick me, human? Take THAT!"
BRIEF

United States
11/08/2012 01:40 PM

Report Abusive Post

catcarrier

The text on that is a riot. Well mannered indeed! I do worry what that would do to my karma though. My slip came just as I was about to deliver a little boot to shoo them out from under the coffee table where they were bickering. "You thought to kick me, human? Take THAT!"

You paid karma because you haven't followed any of my advice...I've killed lots of cats and dogs and have never broken a bone, you're being too kind...animals should be treated like animals, not like children :)

Briefcut4892
Copernica

User ID: 17525775
United States
11/08/2012 01:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wear loose tops.
Give up on buttons.

Right! Thanks! I'm glad I rediscovered how great those long, loose skirts are. Loose sleeves, makes sense. Now if I could get the bra thing figured out.

Try a genie or ahh bra - you step in and out of them. No hooks. Although, it may be hard pulling it up/down?

Maybe a front hooked one?
God Bless President TRUMP! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21201441
United States
11/08/2012 01:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Get a folding bag/trolley with wheels to move things around so you don't have to try to carry them - I have one and it's really helpful. You could also just get a long handled sling type woven bag to throw across your shoulder to carry things around the house and still have your free hand - I always have things to carry to the car, to the other room - need one hand free for door knobs, keys, light switches - or something sort of like a messenger bag, but without the big flap getting in the way.

Examples:

[link to www.ebay.com]

[link to www.ebay.com]

And here's one of my most favorite handy/helper items around the house:

[link to www.amazon.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21201441
United States
11/08/2012 01:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
As for the bone - there are great homeopathic remedies to speed healing, along with supplements like Bone Builder by Ethical Nutrients

HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT SUGGESTION FOR BROKEN BONES
As soon as the trauma occurs, begin daily treatment with Arnica 30c. When the swelling is reduced, continue taking Symphytum 30c daily until the bone is healed. Use other remedies as indicated by their modalities and symptoms.

And get plenty of protein which aids bone growth.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14105059
United States
11/08/2012 01:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Play the slot machines
JadeDone  (OP)

United States
11/08/2012 02:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Get a folding bag/trolley with wheels to move things around so you don't have to try to carry them - I have one and it's really helpful. You could also just get a long handled sling type woven bag to throw across your shoulder to carry things around the house and still have your free hand - I always have things to carry to the car, to the other room - need one hand free for door knobs, keys, light switches - or something sort of like a messenger bag, but without the big flap getting in the way.

Examples:

[link to www.ebay.com]

[link to www.ebay.com]

And here's one of my most favorite handy/helper items around the house:

[link to www.amazon.com]
 Quoting: Geo777

Ohhh,I have one of those too! Thank you :)
JadeDone  (OP)

United States
11/08/2012 02:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wear loose tops.
Give up on buttons.

Try a genie or ahh bra - you step in and out of them. No hooks. Although, it may be hard pulling it up/down?

Maybe a front hooked one?
 Quoting: Copernica

Another good suggestion. I was starting to think I was going to have prop them up on my sling! :p

Play the slot machines
 Quoting: !saac

Haha! One armed bandit to the rescue- of the insutance deductible.

Last Edited by JadeDone on 11/08/2012 02:48 PM
Fast Forward

User ID: 15057455
United States
11/08/2012 02:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

Poor kitties.

My suggestion is to use a baton after the cast is removed.
My doc told me to practice on one.
He didn't mention how to prevent a black eye though
Fast Forward
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1552632
United States
11/08/2012 02:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Make sure to post pics here when you get the cast off. I'm sure everyone would love to see how small and wilted it becomes compared to the other one. Buy a dumbbell. As in 1.
JadeDone  (OP)

United States
11/08/2012 03:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Make sure to post pics here when you get the cast off. I'm sure everyone would love to see how small and wilted it becomes compared to the other one. Buy a dumbbell. As in 1.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1552632

I'm curious about that too. I'm a middle aged female and my arms aren't particularly buff, but I imagine I will have muscle-wasting that's apparent. I tend to heal well though. I will be working with a physical therapist in a few weeks too. That will probably help.
JadeDone  (OP)

United States
11/08/2012 03:14 PM
Report Abusive Post

Poor kitties.

My suggestion is to use a baton after the cast is removed.
My doc told me to practice on one.
He didn't mention how to prevent a black eye though
 Quoting: Fast Forward

Doh! I hate it when that happens! hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27240112
United Kingdom
11/08/2012 03:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1552632

I'm curious about that too. I'm a middle aged female and my arms aren't particularly buff, but I imagine I will have muscle-wasting that's apparent. I tend to heal well though. I will be working with a physical therapist in a few weeks too. That will probably help.

It will probably feel a little weak for up to a few months after, but don't worry- it's not permanent :)
SewDucky

User ID: 23684754
United States
11/08/2012 04:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
As to the atrophying, when my cast got off as an adult, my doc told me to make an effort to use the arm. Lift groceries, books, anything about 5-10 lbs for about a month, don't overdo it, but use it more then you usually do.

I'm left handed and broke my right the last time, most of just day to day stuff kept the arm from getting too bad after.

GLP