Holy crap, Machinist in Nevada starting pay $12hr with benefits

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26826431
United States
11/12/2012 12:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Holy crap, Machinist in Nevada starting pay $12hr with benefits
Well lets see. For a single person (very conservative figures)

$25,000/ yr
- 3,200/ Federal Tax
- 1,100/ State Income Tax
- 2,150/ FICA
- 820/ Medicare
----------
$17,730/ Net Income
- 8,400/ Annual Average Rent for a 1 Bedroom Apartment
- 920/ Annual utilities (Electric, gas, water)
- 1,270/ Auto Insurance per year
- 2,370/ Gasoline per year
----------
$ 4,770
- 4,770/ Annual food costs ($91.73 x 52 weeks)
----------
$ 0.00

Now, if you take public transportation, you'll only spend about maybe $1,300/ yr, and save $2,340

But, heaven forbid if you need to pay child support or get injured requiring hospitalization or have any loan or credit card debt. And you won't really be able to afford a cell phone or Internet and not have to much for fun. Further more you'll be likely to live check-tocheck.

Oh BTW, the poverty level for a single person in the US is $11,170.00
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26826431

Oh if you're in Nevada then there's no state income tax, so you'll save $1,100. Getting better.
besensible
User ID: 14214035
United States
11/12/2012 12:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
This has been Reinhardts contention from Day 1.
Controlling the cost of labor.
ghost runner

User ID: 24149004
United States
11/12/2012 12:26 AM

Report Abusive Post
16 weeks experience is not worth $12/hr

most companies want to hire idiots for
nothing and have you train them for
half the pay you should be making.

next thing you know is these fuckers
are doing your job for $2 or $3 less
than you and you pull the dick out
of your ass and move on.

There is no pride left in skilled labor.
Your just a farm animal to most companies.
It's just the bottom line and you don't
matter anymore.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19058378
United States
11/12/2012 12:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wow, they should take away the benefits imo.
ghost runner

User ID: 24149004
United States
11/12/2012 12:31 AM

Report Abusive Post
CNC machines and modern fabrication processes have destroyed the demand for machinists..there's no reason to pay them more than 8/hour even if they have 30 years experience and an outstanding work ethic

A machinist is a dinosaur..there's too many of them and no one needs their skills just like we don't need skills in manual typewriting or calligraphy or sword making anymore

Machinists need to get with the times and get a high technology job if they are smart enough
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1302314

you are an idiot

you know nothing about machining

hey, guess what?

the fucking cnc's don't do the work by themselves.

you can't program a machine to do something you
know nothing about and even if you've used a
computer all your life you still have to know
what the fuck you're doing.

But it doesn't stop bullshitters from
trying,I can tell you that!

Last Edited by Rogue bear poop on 11/12/2012 12:33 AM
SewDucky

User ID: 23684754
United States
11/12/2012 12:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
My husband said in TN (not a city), that was what he started out, non-union and was about average, for the area (rural) where we live, and I am sure our cost of living is a lot less then Nevada's.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1302314
Australia
11/12/2012 12:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
CNC machines and modern fabrication processes have destroyed the demand for machinists..there's no reason to pay them more than 8/hour even if they have 30 years experience and an outstanding work ethic

A machinist is a dinosaur..there's too many of them and no one needs their skills just like we don't need skills in manual typewriting or calligraphy or sword making anymore

Machinists need to get with the times and get a high technology job if they are smart enough

you are an idiot

hey, guess what?

Quoting: ghost runner

I've met plenty of machinists..they work with their hands not their heads..and CNC machines require people who can work with their heads

go on youtube and check out the CNC machines in action..the machine does everything better and only a couple of workers are required to make sure that the CNC machine is running correctly..which doesn't require a lot of physical work or manual labor skills

The only machinists out of work are the ones that didn't understand they would be replaced by CNC machines..they've had 20+ years to switch careers and missed the hint
Alexander

User ID: 15635858
United States
11/12/2012 12:57 AM

Report Abusive Post
That's why the guy can fill the job.
$12 an hour today is poverty wages.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1235825

$12 x 40 hours per week = $480 x 52 weeks = $24,960

Deduct FICA, State, Federal, Insurance, Soc Security, etc

What's left?

Then look at todays living expenses.

Here gas is approximately $4.25 a gallon, almost the same price as a gallon of milk and/or a loaf of bread. Add car insurance, electric, water, property taxes, phone, rent or house payment - $24,960 minus taxes and deductions isn't much to live on in todays economy.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
Winston Churchill

Daily Updates
Thread: ASS IS IN THE WRINGER - Rolling Updates from 11/16/20 to present (Page 235)
Copperhead

User ID: 24964643
United States
11/12/2012 01:21 AM

Report Abusive Post

you are an idiot

hey, guess what?

Quoting: ghost runner

I've met plenty of machinists..they work with their hands not their heads..and CNC machines require people who can work with their heads

go on youtube and check out the CNC machines in action..the machine does everything better and only a couple of workers are required to make sure that the CNC machine is running correctly..which doesn't require a lot of physical work or manual labor skills

The only machinists out of work are the ones that didn't understand they would be replaced by CNC machines..they've had 20+ years to switch careers and missed the hint

I've got a piece of 7075 aluminum that needs to be machined. What 5/8 endmill should I use? The 2 flute, 3 flute, 4 flute or 5 flute? Should I use plain high speed steel, TIN coated HSS, carbide or diamond coated carbide? What is the rpm I should run on the endmill and what depth of cut can I use, and at what feedrate? Should I plunge, ramp in or use a helix move? Should I use a left or right cutter comp? On the 1/4-20 holes should I rigid tap or use a thread mill? Do I need an H3, H5 or H11? Should I interpolate the .500 +.001 -.000 hole or use reamer? If I use a reamer what speed and feed should I use? Ok, now tell me the same for a piece of 1018 cold rolled.

All the above needs to be considered when making a CNC program, plus much more. Any fucking monkey can make a program, but it takes a machinist to make it right. The basics must be known or else the guy running the CNC mill will come up to the programmer and kick his ass. It comes down to Garbage in/ Garbage out.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 27120400
United States
11/12/2012 06:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump as a counter point to the super pinned "brother inlaw divorcing sister" thread

the brother inlaw owns a machine shop
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1106916
United States
11/12/2012 06:39 AM
Report Abusive Post

Just saw the story on 60 mins about the jobs situation in the USA

3 million job openings, WOW!...the problem is the companies say that today's average applicant does not have the technical skills needed for the job(s)

2 guys went thru 16 weeks of school and were offered machinist jobs at $12hr

I thought a job of this technical skill would at least start at $16 an hour

your thoughts?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27120400

I saw the show too. When they said $12.00 an hour my husband and I just couldn't believe it.

That's a disgrace. No wonder our people are poor and suffering.

USA = Land of poverty and slave wages.
M3A
User ID: 27522412
United States
11/12/2012 06:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
That's why the guy can fill the job.
$12 an hour today is poverty wages.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1235825

$12 x 40 hours per week = $480 x 52 weeks = $24,960

Deduct FICA, State, Federal, Insurance, Soc Security, etc

What's left?

Then look at todays living expenses.

Here gas is approximately $4.25 a gallon, almost the same price as a gallon of milk and/or a loaf of bread. Add car insurance, electric, water, property taxes, phone, rent or house payment - $24,960 minus taxes and deductions isn't much to live on in todays economy.
 Quoting: Alexander

Let us not forget they also are getting benefits, this means medical, dental, possible 401K, short term disability, long term disability....but.. you have to pay for these so called "benefits" out of every paycheck. These two fellows hired also have at least a couple of kids each. So they are going to have to get a second job or the wives have to work, so more gas, child care, and the list goes on and on..they definitely have jobs, but that is about all you can say about it. Not enough to survive on.
AmericanJedi

User ID: 1503533
United States
11/12/2012 07:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Because in our Great Nation we have sung the praises of a college degree, whether it be history, ancient sanskrit, or sociology, while teaching our children plumbers, machinists, welders, and mechanics are porcine troglodytes.

I am very proud of my trade skills. Despite holding a degree in chemistry, I'd say my welding, plumbing, carpentry, and mechanical skills are just as valuable if not more so.

Hell, I make a little money off small engines and welding right now. Honestly, if I threw my weight into I'd likely make as much as I do consulting, which ain't bad money.

Twelve bucks for a true machinist is a fucking insult to the trade. Go to Wall Street and fine one of your refined finance majors that can even change a tire!
(GLP aka American Jedi)

Listen here you beautiful bitch, I'm about to fuck you up with some truth.
Kenny Powers

If you steal the dreams of others long enough, sooner or later you'll end up in a nightmare.
American Jedi

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
Albert Einstein

Satis Eloquentiae, Sapientiae Parum....

"The last of the old?"

"No, the first of the new."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21258549
United States
11/12/2012 07:19 AM
Report Abusive Post

3 million job openings, WOW!...the problem is the companies say that today's average applicant does not have the technical skills needed for the job(s)

your thoughts?

I saw the show too. When they said $12.00 an hour my husband and I just couldn't believe it.

Quoting: Lisa*Lisa

What people overlook is that this is STARTING pay. They immediately said a skill experienced machinist can make $60k. $12 is not great but it is after 16 weeks of school that they got for free. It is more than just saying you want fries with that. You make more as you get more on the job training by doing. You need to invest in yourself or you will never get up the ladder. Remember doctors make $50k for 4 years of residency that is after 4 years of college and 4 years of medical school. Everyone starts on low end of pay due to being a dime a dozen, competing with thousand of other applicants.

It is a choice to get the eduction that pays off or just do minimum and get stuck competing with everyone else. Sorry to be harsh. But, I went I college to learn, not to drink. I got through in 3 years and started off at 25k. Few vacations and a lot of studying was needed before I got paid more due to making myself a valuable asset that employers competed over versus me competing with others for A single job.

I laughed at the economist who quoted supply and demand, saying companies needed to pay more to get people to work. The issue is supply is dwindled by government paying people not to work but then keeps them stuck in dead end jobs due to people not taking jobs like these that end up paying 40k after a few years of experience and on the job training.

Yes, someone will comment that jobs won't pay $40k. A friend who never went to college but supervises the assembly of machines that run production lines will beg to differ. He learned not just his job but the jobs of everyone around him. So, when the company needed a foreman, who did they ask? And note, he makes much more than 40k now.

You start small but make yourself valuable via training and you won't complain about starting off at $12 as it doesn't last for long.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4613981
United States
11/12/2012 07:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
What they don't tell you is that the CEO of the company and his kiss asses sitting behind the desks are making 100hr or more.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 3341711

And your point would be?....... With educate and a lil luck , comes rewards. People need to get the clue. All people are not economically equal.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19396116
United States
11/12/2012 07:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
The first thing you read in your machinist handbook is there is no job security because of automation. Automation is here and jobs such as a machinist are fading. A engineer can just send code generated by Autocad to the CNC machine while never leaving his seat. A automated system can load stock and remove the product. There will always be a need for QA and shipping. A maintenance machinist will always be needed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1211208
United States
11/12/2012 07:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
and that is for a skilled laborer...$7 with no bennies for being an idiot seems pretty good... banana2
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 07:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
The first thing you read in your machinist handbook is there is no job security because of automation. Automation is here and jobs such as a machinist are fading. A engineer can just send code generated by Autocad to the CNC machine while never leaving his seat. A automated system can load stock and remove the product. There will always be a need for QA and shipping. A maintenance machinist will always be needed.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19396116

There is no longer job security because of corporate greed. iamwith
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1106916
United States
11/12/2012 07:50 AM
Report Abusive Post

your thoughts?

Quoting: Lisa*Lisa

What people overlook is that this is STARTING pay. They immediately said a skill experienced machinist can make $60k. $12 is not great but it is after 16 weeks of school that they got for free. It is more than just saying you want fries with that. You make more as you get more on the job training by doing. You need to invest in yourself or you will never get up the ladder. Remember doctors make $50k for 4 years of residency that is after 4 years of college and 4 years of medical school. Everyone starts on low end of pay due to being a dime a dozen, competing with thousand of other applicants.

It is a choice to get the eduction that pays off or just do minimum and get stuck competing with everyone else. Sorry to be harsh. But, I went I college to learn, not to drink. I got through in 3 years and started off at 25k. Few vacations and a lot of studying was needed before I got paid more due to making myself a valuable asset that employers competed over versus me competing with others for A single job.

I laughed at the economist who quoted supply and demand, saying companies needed to pay more to get people to work. The issue is supply is dwindled by government paying people not to work but then keeps them stuck in dead end jobs due to people not taking jobs like these that end up paying 40k after a few years of experience and on the job training.

Yes, someone will comment that jobs won't pay $40k. A friend who never went to college but supervises the assembly of machines that run production lines will beg to differ. He learned not just his job but the jobs of everyone around him. So, when the company needed a foreman, who did they ask? And note, he makes much more than 40k now.

You start small but make yourself valuable via training and you won't complain about starting off at $12 as it doesn't last for long.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 21258549

Well, I would agree with you if this was not a highly skilled job. They are not hiring janitors, these are trained professionals.

My daughter earned $12.00 in a nursing home as a CNA with no experience necessary and a few days of training, not 4 months of intense schooling.

How can you compare? Same pay, one highly technical skill and one not.

They are not offering these people enough money for that machinist job. Not in this day and age.

Wages have not gone up as inflation has.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4428411
United States
11/12/2012 08:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
Here's how it works. They advertise a position for low pay, and demand high qualifications. Sometimes the qualifications are impossible, such as having 2 years experience working with Microsoft 8.

Then when no-one who is qualified applies, the company applies to bring in foreign workers. They drop the impossible qualification, and hire foreigners who will do the job on the cheap.

At least this ad is offering $12 an hour. The fake ads in my area usually only offer $8. (But they require the person be bilingual, have several years of supervising, and have several years of specialized training. All for only minimum wage. )
 Quoting: samanthasunflower

^This.

Every single ad for jobs in my area advertises a meager salary of 8 to 9 dollars an hour, with an insane amount of credentials required. 9 times out of 10, these positions are also PART TIME or per diem. Our economy is garbage. Those 8 dollars that they are offering are probably worth about 3 dollars from 10 years ago, and it is getting worse.

It makes me feel lucky to have my job that I get paid 11.50 an hour for with benefits. Yes, I have a degree, and that is a very low amount of money (not a living wage, at all). It is impossible to be single and life off of a low wage, I have no idea why single people don't get a tax exemption as opposed to married people. I can't imagine how bad it would be if I had to live off of 8 dollars an hour and not be guaranteed 40 hours and benefits.

ohappy
Heretic_333

User ID: 27572839
United States
11/12/2012 08:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've got my assoc. in Machine Tool, and been a manual machinist for about 5 years.

12/hr is chump change. Now if its like an assembly line and you do the same thing all day long, 12/hr may be whats suitable.

But giving someone a print involving aerospace equipment, your machinist needs paid for making sure the thing is damn near perfect.

Would you try to make something perfect if your only making like 10 an hr?

Manufacturing knows this, that's why I say the company is probably hiring employees to do insanely repetitive and tedious assembly like type manufacturing.
If I told you everything I am about to say is a lie. Is it truth or a lie?

I built the wrench necessary to bolt the 3 stage capping process on the BP oil spill.

Tattered banners, and bloody flags... The wind of Odin sweeps it all.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 08:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
Don't forget to add in the thousands you'll need to pay for your healthcare in 2014...and the thousands needed to pay your Cap & Trade electric bills...
Datum "A"
User ID: 1483262
United States
11/12/2012 08:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
"I'll take the two-flute coated carbide for 200, Alex..."

Absolutely right on your rant concerning the discretion and experience needed to make a decent program, and that doesn't even begin to delve into fixturing and other make-or-break issues....

CNC isn't always the end-all answer, especially when you are prototyping or fabing a one-off piece. Writing the program would take as long and getting out there and turning the screws....

I work with a bunch of button-pushers who probably could not tram a head to save their lives...

That all said, $12/ hr. is piss-poor pay for what they are expecting.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 08:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
And tens of thousands to pay off your portion of our National debt...which will be divided between us by law....it hasn't been drafted yet but I'm sure it will be...
Devoted Folower
User ID: 27539022
United States
11/12/2012 08:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Machinist or broom pushers?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4428411
United States
11/12/2012 08:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well lets see. For a single person (very conservative figures)

$25,000/ yr
- 3,200/ Federal Tax
- 1,100/ State Income Tax
- 2,150/ FICA
- 820/ Medicare
----------
$17,730/ Net Income
- 8,400/ Annual Average Rent for a 1 Bedroom Apartment
- 920/ Annual utilities (Electric, gas, water)
- 1,270/ Auto Insurance per year
- 2,370/ Gasoline per year
----------
$ 4,770
- 4,770/ Annual food costs ($91.73 x 52 weeks)
----------
$ 0.00

Now, if you take public transportation, you'll only spend about maybe $1,300/ yr, and save $2,340

But, heaven forbid if you need to pay child support or get injured requiring hospitalization or have any loan or credit card debt. And you won't really be able to afford a cell phone or Internet and not have to much for fun. Further more you'll be likely to live check-tocheck.

Oh BTW, the poverty level for a single person in the US is $11,170.00
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26826431

You are forgetting phone service, internet, any car repairs that come up, any leisure time activities, Christmas presents, birthday presents, vacations (LOL yeah right), pet care, replacing any electronics that die out (computers, televisions), cleaning and laundry supplies, and several other things that you would need to pay for. The poverty level really should be adjusted, it is nowhere near accurate. I'd say that at least phone service, the internet, and cleaning and laundry supplies are mandatory on that list. You can always grinch your family or screw them out of birthday presents, but you end up feeling like garbage afterward. Vacations used to be the one thing that would make working worth it, now it is almost an impossible dream for most working adults (especially single working adults).
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11835165
United States
11/12/2012 08:28 AM
Report Abusive Post

your thoughts?

Yes, but...

Take the starting job, build experience. When the economy turns around, those with experience will command a higher salary. One has to invest in oneself, and in the skills one brings to the job. Think of it like this: They are paying you to go to school.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21258549
United States
11/12/2012 09:27 AM
Report Abusive Post

Well, I would agree with you if this was not a highly skilled job. They are not hiring janitors, these are trained professionals.

My daughter earned $12.00 in a nursing home as a CNA with no experience necessary and a few days of training, not 4 months of intense schooling.

How can you compare? Same pay, one highly technical skill and one not.

They are not offering these people enough money for that machinist job. Not in this day and age.

Wages have not gone up as inflation has.

You missed my point that it is starting pay. 4 months of training doesn't really buy you much when you still need training on their machines. Yes, others like your daughter can make $12 but note she hit the ground running after 2 days. This machinist position still requires more training than just learning trig in 4 months, that the company reflects. The better question would be how much these people are making in 2 years of dedication, a CNA maybe $12 ... Machinist maybe $16 and climbing. My point is take a lower paying job if it gets you training for more $$$ after you get through the hand holding phase that pays chump change. Invest in yourself.

Yet, If people think 4 months of training gets you $10 more an hour right away, then all the years of training should get a doctor $360 an hour for 12 years of schooling or $720,000 more for their effort. Starting pay for family medicine though is $150,000 if they are lucky or $75 an hour if they just put in 2,000 hours a year ($6 per year of training or $2 per 4 months of training). And, someone paid for those 4 months while receiving unemployment .... docs are hundred of thousands in debt when they are done. Just putting things in perspective. Easy to feel sorry for taking $12 an hour job and resent others until you see the investment that goes into each job.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1403018
United States
11/12/2012 10:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26075182
United States
11/12/2012 10:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
Front desk receptionist at a hilton hotel. Texas. 9.50/he-

You all saying $12 an hour is shit, I envy
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4193896

yep, us young guys are licking our chops at $12/hr. Get out of our way you pampered babies. You won't work for 12/hr? Good, we'll show you what real men do to survive and eat.

GLP