Holy crap, Machinist in Nevada starting pay $12hr with benefits

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26075182
United States
11/12/2012 11:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Holy crap, Machinist in Nevada starting pay $12hr with benefits
CNC machines and modern fabrication processes have destroyed the demand for machinists..there's no reason to pay them more than 8/hour even if they have 30 years experience and an outstanding work ethic

A machinist is a dinosaur..there's too many of them and no one needs their skills just like we don't need skills in manual typewriting or calligraphy or sword making anymore

Machinists need to get with the times and get a high technology job if they are smart enough
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1302314

you are an idiot

you know nothing about machining

hey, guess what?

the fucking cnc's don't do the work by themselves.

you can't program a machine to do something you
know nothing about and even if you've used a
computer all your life you still have to know
what the fuck you're doing.

But it doesn't stop bullshitters from
trying,I can tell you that!
 Quoting: ghost runner

I've met plenty of machinists..they work with their hands not their heads..and CNC machines require people who can work with their heads

go on youtube and check out the CNC machines in action..the machine does everything better and only a couple of workers are required to make sure that the CNC machine is running correctly..which doesn't require a lot of physical work or manual labor skills

The only machinists out of work are the ones that didn't understand they would be replaced by CNC machines..they've had 20+ years to switch careers and missed the hint

I've got a piece of 7075 aluminum that needs to be machined. What 5/8 endmill should I use? The 2 flute, 3 flute, 4 flute or 5 flute? Should I use plain high speed steel, TIN coated HSS, carbide or diamond coated carbide? What is the rpm I should run on the endmill and what depth of cut can I use, and at what feedrate? Should I plunge, ramp in or use a helix move? Should I use a left or right cutter comp? On the 1/4-20 holes should I rigid tap or use a thread mill? Do I need an H3, H5 or H11? Should I interpolate the .500 +.001 -.000 hole or use reamer? If I use a reamer what speed and feed should I use? Ok, now tell me the same for a piece of 1018 cold rolled.

All the above needs to be considered when making a CNC program, plus much more. Any fucking monkey can make a program, but it takes a machinist to make it right. The basics must be known or else the guy running the CNC mill will come up to the programmer and kick his ass. It comes down to Garbage in/ Garbage out.
 Quoting: Copperhead

I'm taking CNC Tech classes at my local community college. Seems to be a lot of opportunity when I finish the program. You certainly know your stuff. Where do you work?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 27120400
United States
11/12/2012 11:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well lets see. For a single person (very conservative figures)

$25,000/ yr
- 3,200/ Federal Tax
- 1,100/ State Income Tax
- 2,150/ FICA
- 820/ Medicare
----------
$17,730/ Net Income
- 8,400/ Annual Average Rent for a 1 Bedroom Apartment
- 920/ Annual utilities (Electric, gas, water)
- 1,270/ Auto Insurance per year
- 2,370/ Gasoline per year
----------
$ 4,770
- 4,770/ Annual food costs ($91.73 x 52 weeks)
----------
$ 0.00

Now, if you take public transportation, you'll only spend about maybe $1,300/ yr, and save $2,340

But, heaven forbid if you need to pay child support or get injured requiring hospitalization or have any loan or credit card debt. And you won't really be able to afford a cell phone or Internet and not have to much for fun. Further more you'll be likely to live check-tocheck.

Oh BTW, the poverty level for a single person in the US is $11,170.00
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26826431

You are forgetting phone service, internet, any car repairs that come up, any leisure time activities, Christmas presents, birthday presents, vacations (LOL yeah right), pet care, replacing any electronics that die out (computers, televisions), cleaning and laundry supplies, and several other things that you would need to pay for. The poverty level really should be adjusted, it is nowhere near accurate. I'd say that at least phone service, the internet, and cleaning and laundry supplies are mandatory on that list. You can always grinch your family or screw them out of birthday presents, but you end up feeling like garbage afterward. Vacations used to be the one thing that would make working worth it, now it is almost an impossible dream for most working adults (especially single working adults).
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4428411

Not to start a Political Rant fest, but I have to wonder how many of Romney's 12 million jobs would fall into this $11,170 a year category?
IssueX

User ID: 14348632
United States
11/12/2012 11:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
I wouldn't get out of bed for $12 an hour.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16489201

says the Australian, and its true in most other G20 countries

That's it, OP? a whoppin $12 an hour?

Holy shit, this economy is fucked

I made $15/hr in 1985 when I left college...I think machinists with a few years experience made $18-$30

..Hell, if you knew how to use Excel or Word Perfect and could type more than 50 WPM back then you could make $12-$15/hr working for a temp agency...I had friends who were musicians and worked temp jobs during the days, thats what they earned

In Canada, $12 is minimum wage, and most people make over $15. You can't even get a high school kid to work for you for $10

Americans should be paid at least $15-$20 an hr, just to pay for the ACTUAL cost of living, not the make-believe "zero inflation" economy the Feds pretend we live in

Last Edited by IssueX on 11/12/2012 11:44 AM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25674130
United States
11/12/2012 02:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's a trade not meant for the majority mindset.

And the egos in the industry are out of control. I'm ready to sell.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8260452
United States
11/12/2012 02:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Machinists made $20/hr like 30 years ago...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8260452
United States
11/12/2012 02:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
I wouldn't get out of bed for $12 an hour.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16489201

says the Australian, and its true in most other G20 countries

That's it, OP? a whoppin $12 an hour?

Holy shit, this economy is fucked

I made $15/hr in 1985 when I left college...I think machinists with a few years experience made $18-$30

..Hell, if you knew how to use Excel or Word Perfect and could type more than 50 WPM back then you could make $12-$15/hr working for a temp agency...I had friends who were musicians and worked temp jobs during the days, thats what they earned

In Canada, $12 is minimum wage, and most people make over $15. You can't even get a high school kid to work for you for $10

Americans should be paid at least $15-$20 an hr, just to pay for the ACTUAL cost of living, not the make-believe "zero inflation" economy the Feds pretend we live in
 Quoting: IssueX

So running a cash register at a retail store should get you $15-$20 an hour? I'm sorry that's a joke. If anything the minimum wage should be reduced not increased.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 778024
Canada
11/12/2012 02:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
welcome to the obonomy.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24275310

Obomunism
stefanos
User ID: 14185563
Canada
11/12/2012 02:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
That would be a least $30 hr in Canada. I know a city bus driver that 30 bucks hr to drive a stupid bus. My wife make about 21 hr simply to work in a classroom a teacher assistant. The teacher makes about 50K year full benies union, pension etc.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1550123
United States
11/12/2012 02:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well lets see. For a single person (very conservative figures)

$25,000/ yr
- 3,200/ Federal Tax
- 1,100/ State Income Tax
- 2,150/ FICA
- 820/ Medicare
----------
$17,730/ Net Income
- 8,400/ Annual Average Rent for a 1 Bedroom Apartment
- 920/ Annual utilities (Electric, gas, water)
- 1,270/ Auto Insurance per year
- 2,370/ Gasoline per year
----------
$ 4,770
- 4,770/ Annual food costs ($91.73 x 52 weeks)
----------
$ 0.00

Now, if you take public transportation, you'll only spend about maybe $1,300/ yr, and save $2,340

But, heaven forbid if you need to pay child support or get injured requiring hospitalization or have any loan or credit card debt. And you won't really be able to afford a cell phone or Internet and not have to much for fun. Further more you'll be likely to live check-tocheck.

Oh BTW, the poverty level for a single person in the US is $11,170.00
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26826431

A person would have to get a roommate, cheap small car and live close to work so no high insurance/gas costs and eat for 50 a week. So at least there would be money left over then.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17836095
United States
11/12/2012 02:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
$12.00 an hour but they only went through 16 weeks of training.As they gain more experience they can ask for more money and will get it.You got to start somewhere and that's usually not at the top.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1550123
United States
11/12/2012 03:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
$12.00 an hour but they only went through 16 weeks of training.As they gain more experience they can ask for more money and will get it.You got to start somewhere and that's usually not at the top.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17836095

I think it is the middle aged people who are complaining. A young person would jump at 12 bucks starting pay that will go up with more experience.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1403018
United States
11/12/2012 08:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
ghost runner

User ID: 24149004
United States
11/13/2012 11:28 PM

Report Abusive Post
CNC machines and modern fabrication processes have destroyed the demand for machinists..there's no reason to pay them more than 8/hour even if they have 30 years experience and an outstanding work ethic

A machinist is a dinosaur..there's too many of them and no one needs their skills just like we don't need skills in manual typewriting or calligraphy or sword making anymore

Machinists need to get with the times and get a high technology job if they are smart enough

you are an idiot

you know nothing about machining

hey, guess what?

the fucking cnc's don't do the work by themselves.

you can't program a machine to do something you
know nothing about and even if you've used a
computer all your life you still have to know
what the fuck you're doing.

But it doesn't stop bullshitters from
trying,I can tell you that!
 Quoting: ghost runner

I've met plenty of machinists..they work with their hands not their heads..and CNC machines require people who can work with their heads

go on youtube and check out the CNC machines in action..the machine does everything better and only a couple of workers are required to make sure that the CNC machine is running correctly..which doesn't require a lot of physical work or manual labor skills

The only machinists out of work are the ones that didn't understand they would be replaced by CNC machines..they've had 20+ years to switch careers and missed the hint

yeah, those are called 'blacksmiths' here in the
states mate.

you should just be glad you don't have
Rising Sun flags planted by the Japanese
flying in the wind over your island.

Good Lord!
1doh1
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1403018
United States
11/14/2012 01:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21211135
United States
11/14/2012 01:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
When you're about to live under a bridge you'll take $12 bucks an hour.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1380277

Shut the fuck up. You probably make around 80k a year for sitting in an office. Don't be telling people to take a skilled job for Walmart wages.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31284917
United Kingdom
01/01/2013 03:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Don't think they'll be able to replace ageing machinists or fill in any gap with skilled foreigners as they're a dying breed worldwide...unless Co's are happy to hire mere button pushers with no particular manual and math skills, which I think, is going to be the future of the industry.
What's going to happen is: they'll realise it's a lost battle - no way they're going to get enough youth to pursue this career as things get even worse in workshops, with all the retirements pending.
However, wages have gone up 15-30% in the last years. Yes, they have! But only for the very skilled ones and piss takers like Click Bond aside. But so they have in China where I saw ads for up to $450 on equal positions for locals, compared to $200 of 10 years ago.
The few skilled remaining will set up and program the machines and as someone here mentioned, the job will become sort of a Burger King type job. Retrain job-seekers will result non cost effective on the long run.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29703526
Australia
01/17/2013 09:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm a fully qualified machinist (CNC/programming & manual machining) in Australia, and I can't believe the rates you mention.
Even taking into account exchange rates at there worst, $12/hr is below minimum wage for a qualified trades person.
When I finished my training in machining, I was put on $30/hr, which is pretty standard around the shops I have worked in.
Now though, with 7 years experience - I won't be getting out of bed for less than $42/hr...
Hope things pick up for the US economy! cool2

GLP