off the grid is anyone serious

Laura Bow

User ID: 1158661
United States
11/12/2012 12:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: off the grid is anyone serious
Listen Laura, every word spoken and typed is a doorway to someone heart and mind, you just typed it out pretty clear what you really think! I quit with you and will no longer engage you, OP I hope you do this as well. If I cant further along your discussion I will remain quite!
 Quoting: BCaudill77

You're right, we will have to agree to disagree since it seems you are not understanding where I am coming from, nor I you.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22911814
Mongolia
11/12/2012 12:31 AM
Report Abusive Post

which country?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27521009

China
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24771361

Is it safe in China for expat living?

If China's economy collapses, will it be safe for expats there then?

Does leaving one totalitarian regime to relocate to another make sense?

Or, are you talking about the wild western China?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22911814

The place is in the Dragons spine region which is the rice breadbasket of China located in the southeast. It is currently a tourist destination which sees a lot of non Chinese. I have lived there and currently feel it is safe for foreigners, although there is an international airport less than an hour away and access to vietnam is about 3 hours away by car.

As for a totalitarian regime that is a matter of opinion.

Also if the world goes to hell nowhere is going to be completely safe.

If your interested let me know.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24771361

Thanks for your info.

When I travel there often, I'm not allowed to drive. As an expat, are you allowed to drive or to own a car?

Also as a traveler, I'm not allowed to travel to certain parts of China. As an expat, do you have the freedom to travel around the country as you please?

Fortunately, the Great Firewall of China (official censorship) is not much of a hindrance for me when I'm there. I can get on Facebook, YouTube, GoDaddy, etc. just fine with the right tools. Can I assume it's circumvention is common knowledge among the computer literate in China?

How's the Internet out in the countryside? Is it 3G like in (Outer) Mongolia?

I don't have children, so the 'One Child' policy doesn't concern me too much. Does China apply that restriction to expat families as well?

Thanks
Anonymous Coward
Mongolia
11/12/2012 12:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Make no mistake: what's being proposed here CAN and IS being done - I don't think anyone here is claiming that it would be easy, but I think everyone can agree it is certainly worthwhile.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1292637

I've lived off the grid in Mongolia. Here, it's normal and expected away from the cities. It's a lifestyle built by necessity. It's a simple life, but not so bad if you are willing to adjust your expectations. Low power consumption means smaller off-grid infrastructure requirements. And it means more work. But it also means closer relationships with friends and family.

Moving off-grid is more easily accomplished if you have the help of friends or neighbors who are already off-grid. Off-grid communities are usually very close, and help one another often. It's part of the lifestyle. It's part of survival.

Want an easier transition into off-grid living? Join an off-grid community, at least on a temporary basis as a learning experience, or become neighbors to a community of off-grid people you can befriend and trade with.

It speeds the learning curve.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2986923
Australia
11/12/2012 12:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
YOU'LL NEED PARACORD AND SOMETHING TO PEE IN SO YOU CAN DRINK IT.
Anonymous Coward
Mongolia
11/12/2012 12:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2986923

Ah, a Baer Grills fan.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2986923
Australia
11/12/2012 01:00 AM
Report Abusive Post

Ah, a Baer Grills fan.

Come on, it might be crap but tell me it's not entertaining!

Funnily enough I've found paracord to be extremely useful stuff, used a strand from inside some just the other day to stitch a busted lug thing on some hiking boots.

Used a lighter after the final tie up to melt it and seal it up, tough as nails.
Laura Bow

United States
11/12/2012 01:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Make no mistake: what's being proposed here CAN and IS being done - I don't think anyone here is claiming that it would be easy, but I think everyone can agree it is certainly worthwhile.

I've lived off the grid in Mongolia. Here, it's normal and expected away from the cities. It's a lifestyle built by necessity. It's a simple life, but not so bad if you are willing to adjust your expectations. Low power consumption means smaller off-grid infrastructure requirements. And it means more work. But it also means closer relationships with friends and family.

Moving off-grid is more easily accomplished if you have the help of friends or neighbors who are already off-grid. Off-grid communities are usually very close, and help one another often. It's part of the lifestyle. It's part of survival.

Want an easier transition into off-grid living? Join an off-grid community, at least on a temporary basis as a learning experience, or become neighbors to a community of off-grid people you can befriend and trade with.

Since you do off-the-grid, want to share how you are set up and how you do it? Would be interesting to hear...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21948869
Canada
11/12/2012 01:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
having land is great but you still have to have an income until things are up and running.How much planning have you done?Are you gonna sharecrop or is this a buy in deal?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17687147

I intend ln makibg it self sufficient quickpy
through sellig small game and poultry
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24520447

Your kidding right...? Do you know how much game and poultry you would have to have to live as you put it. First off you can't just sell game. You need tags to hunt and you only get one. Its illegal to sell game. You can eat yourself what you kill but can't sell it.

Poultry...Ha ha ha. Chickens and Turkeys are alot of work. You need feed for them that you buy at a store. 10 chickens over the course of a year eat alot. 200lbs of starter feed when you get your chicks. Then about 80 lbs a month. Do the math. Feed is about 10 bucks a bag give or take. Going up right now.

Saying if you were to do this right now. 10 acres will cost you what... then solar to run it will be 20k. then outbuildings for livestock another 20k. drilling a well 10-20k. Fencing 5k. Tractor to till the ground and keep things up min 10k. should I keep going. Even a one room cabin by the time you get wood stoves and alike for it would run you 15k. If you don't have a farming background and know what your doing before you do it you will fall on your face hard.

Not that easy. I bought a place 12 years ago and it has taken a long time to get everything in place to be self sufficient.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 21948869

Kudos, really. You must know from experience then: You don't do it all at once, its a slowly built system over many many years to become truly self-sufficient. One might hold off on livestock until they had the means to feed them without the usage of much outside feeds in order to prevent what you described above. Same thing for the other items, you can't expect to do it all at once you'll freaking kill yourself and I doubt many are that rich.

To feed chickens and Turkeys even after your set up and have a couple of goats for cheese and milk you need to plant about 3-4 acres into grain and then maybe you would have some left over for yourselves.

Yes you can forage and pick things like plaintains for them thru the winter but you would spend alot of time doing this also. You could add rabbits as the three go together nicely but still huge piles of work. Huge. Vegan works better. Grow huge gardens of root vegtables that store over the winter then start all over again the following spring.

Hunt what you can for protein and fish and dry it all for over the winter. Better buy a ton of salt litterally.

Do you seriously think you have that kind of time to get somthing going with the way things are going...?

You need to start to really sit down and get some reading under your belt to understand how it would all work. I've seen many people with many a good intention move to the country for the lifstyle and leave within the first two years even when they bought a place that was partially set up already. Its not for the meek or people with bad backs.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27211004
Canada
11/12/2012 01:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
About doing it or do most of you just talk shit about it and never intend on making it a reality

im offerig to buy land and share it with a few people so that we can make this a reality

i would lime wooded and fertile at least 10 acres for farming and firewood

i will pay for the land in full and still have a few bucks to contribute but i can not do it alonee

i need a few people willing to live the slow and peaceful life

a few farm animals
we could grow crops and small game for market
make cheese
have solar and wind and generally live quietly as life was meant to be

come to vancouver island. ill do it.
Anonymous Coward
Mongolia
11/12/2012 02:20 AM
Report Abusive Post

Ah, a Baer Grills fan.

Come on, it might be crap but tell me it's not entertaining!

Funnily enough I've found paracord to be extremely useful stuff, used a strand from inside some just the other day to stitch a busted lug thing on some hiking boots.

Used a lighter after the final tie up to melt it and seal it up, tough as nails.

Yes, it's a wonder item that's a must-have for the kit bags.

Just ensure it comes with it's guts intact.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22342469
United States
11/12/2012 02:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
About doing it or do most of you just talk shit about it and never intend on making it a reality

im offerig to buy land and share it with a few people so that we can make this a reality

i will pay for the land in full and still have a few bucks to contribute but i can not do it alonee

a few farm animals
make cheese

Did you vote for Obama?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16703657
United States
11/12/2012 02:34 AM
Report Abusive Post

a few farm animals
make cheese

You be categorized as "terrorists" in no time flat, and your "compound" will be raided and confiscated, while you all are NDAA'ed. Then your land will be sold off.
Anonymous Coward
Mongolia
11/12/2012 02:41 AM
Report Abusive Post

Since you do off-the-grid, want to share how you are set up and how you do it? Would be interesting to hear...
 Quoting: Laura Bow

I travel around a bit, so I'm not always off-grid. But I've spent some time off-grid here & other places. I've used solar + batteries and gensets. A wind generator is on the wish-list.

Living in a yurt (or a tent) with a solar panel, deep-cycle batteries and/or a genset is easy if you have access to some funds, the tech, fuel, and if keep your power consumption spartan.

If you want all the amenities of home, then you must spend the big bucks required for the large infrastructure needed to supply all the juice needed. And it can easily and quickly get cost-prohibitive. Home made solar panels tend to be very fragile & go bad quickly, so I'll refrain from recommending them.

I'm a nomad, so large-scale power infrastructure is not an option for me anyway.

My advice- Spend all you can uncomfortably afford on power generation. Be creative with it (diversify), and then live within your power-generation means. It is self-limiting, so you just have to deal with it. After awhile, you get used to the forced conservation. Before too long, you begin to wonder why you ever thought you needed more. That is your moment of enlightenment.

To manage your limited power, you'll need to share/ration your power usage, and not keep unneeded items turned on. Only plug in what you immediately use (same goes with water- only turn it on while it's immediately needed- never waste!) Even freezers don't need to be turned on all the time. Timers can help. Only 'long-term' store things that don't need electricity to maintain, obviously. Electricity tends to be for short-term usage only. The cool earth is your friend for food storage.

Remember:

1. Adjust your expectations for your new reality.

2. Don't re-invent the wheel. Find people that have already done it & learn from them.

Peace
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm slowly building up my bushie skillz.

Hope I don't ever need 'em, but I'll have 'em.

Thats kool but im lookibg for few people who are fed up and willing to walk away from society and do our own self sustaining micro farm

as stated id be willing to flip for the land in full and still have money for some solar wind and a few other odds and ends

no need to break our backs building either

we could do little one room cabins very simply

Where are you located, or wish to locate?
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
And the beauty of it is people can join me for almost nothing at all

all i ask is that you pay for your own little cabin or shed or whatever you are going to live in

how much could that possibly cost?

2 maybe 3 thousand?

Hell im buying the land. animals
seeds
well etc

you will have zoning problems building a bunch of single family homes on 10 acres
 Quoting: ^TrInItY^

True...

The Beast don't like dat.

Remember, Satan's ultimate goal, and LONG TIME game plan, has been to eventually FORCE people into an NECESSITY of taking the Mark of the Beast. Or you will not be able to buy or sell ANYTHING.

hen after it really gets rolling, there will be a death sentence on people who refuse to play ball with this warm and fuzzy NWO.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2920692
United States
11/12/2012 03:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
<snip>

2. Don't re-invent the wheel. Find people that have already done it & learn from them.

Peace

This!
It can certainly be done, OP, but would be much easier to join an already functioning community. They're out there and in several styles. Visit some and see what feels right.

If nothing else, you will get a better idea of what will work.

Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 03:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
This is the best site of found for this, here is a link to the search criteria you mentioned, sorted by price:

[link to www.landwatch.com]

cheers

Yes i know about that site but i dont want to buy the lnd yet until i actually have a couple of takers willing to commit to a tiny off grid community

then we could figure the best place we would all feel comfortable

I suggest that you purchase and read Joel Skouson's book, "Strategic Relocation". He's done all the research FOR you.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 03:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
The powers that be are making it illegal to live off the grid. Just look at what they've done to people who tried that. They send in the authorities to say you violated a list of laws and then they take away your home! They are going after the homeless in every city, passing laws that prohibit pan-handling, camping, and they trump up charges to send them to jail. Homeland Security doesn't want anyone spending cash, they want to track our every movement via electronic banking.

Wake up people!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27398614

Mark of the Beast
Anonymous Coward
Mongolia
11/12/2012 04:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
The powers that be are making it illegal to live off the grid. Just look at what they've done to people who tried that. They send in the authorities to say you violated a list of laws and then they take away your home! They are going after the homeless in every city, passing laws that prohibit pan-handling, camping, and they trump up charges to send them to jail. Homeland Security doesn't want anyone spending cash, they want to track our every movement via electronic banking.

Wake up people!

Mark of the Beast
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16703657

That is why I advise people to get as far away from the Matrix as possible.

Most developing countries are too poor to implement serious high-tech surveillance and Big Brother Techno-repression.

When the Empire comes a knock'in, Tatooine begins looking better every day, lol.
Laura Bow

United States
11/12/2012 07:46 AM
Report Abusive Post

Wake up people!

Mark of the Beast

Most developing countries are too poor to implement serious high-tech surveillance and Big Brother Techno-repression.

When the Empire comes a knock'in, Tatooine begins looking better every day, lol.

You make a very good point about moving to a developing country for that reason of no surveillance. Are you originally from the USA? Our ideal situation would be to get some land in the middle of the woods somewhere, near a decent SMALL population. Hasn't happened yet, but we have been practicing on our measly acre with growing food, raising chickens, etc.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24514568
United States
11/12/2012 08:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP -- there's a website about all things off-grid:

[link to www.off-grid.net]

They have free classifieds where you can find like minded people.

For food, think aquaponics. You can build 20 x 30 greenhouses for around $1500 each by bending the ribs yourselves:

[link to www.lostcreek.net]

Try to find a location were you can find agriculture courses and/or education nearby.

Excellent site:

[link to www.permies.com]

You will be swimming against the tide but you can make it if you try hard enough. All the best.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24866361
Taiwan
11/12/2012 08:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
having land is great but you still have to have an income until things are up and running.How much planning have you done?Are you gonna sharecrop or is this a buy in deal?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17687147

Your kidding right...? Do you know how much game and poultry you would have to have to live as you put it. First off you can't just sell game. You need tags to hunt and you only get one. Its illegal to sell game. You can eat yourself what you kill but can't sell it.

Poultry...Ha ha ha. Chickens and Turkeys are alot of work. You need feed for them that you buy at a store. 10 chickens over the course of a year eat alot. 200lbs of starter feed when you get your chicks. Then about 80 lbs a month. Do the math. Feed is about 10 bucks a bag give or take. Going up right now.

Saying if you were to do this right now. 10 acres will cost you what... then solar to run it will be 20k. then outbuildings for livestock another 20k. drilling a well 10-20k. Fencing 5k. Tractor to till the ground and keep things up min 10k. should I keep going. Even a one room cabin by the time you get wood stoves and alike for it would run you 15k. If you don't have a farming background and know what your doing before you do it you will fall on your face hard.

Not that easy. I bought a place 12 years ago and it has taken a long time to get everything in place to be self sufficient.

You have a bad attitude. You have also not done enough research on the topic of raising and feeding chickens to be laughing. Buying chicken feed @ 10 bucks a bag.....
Two words for you.
Worm farm.

Do your homework fella.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 24520447
United States
11/12/2012 10:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Its quite obvious my decision to go off grid complety has attrscted some sour ssses on here who want notjing more than to discourage others from getting away from the establishment.

You do not need to purchase any feed at all if you do not want. raise insects

greenhouses can be built for the price of a roll of plastic

This can be done with very minimal money yet all i see and hear are keyboard warrioirs trying to tell me how and what

the whole damn reason to go off the grid is to free yourself from the enslavement of mo ey and materilim

sure i know a few bucks is needed but certaily not much at all

just tax money and so.e emergency funds

some of you people that are trying to discourage me from doing this are the type of people that expect a marble jacuzzi in a small cabin next to your filet mignon and champagne and caviar dream after you came in from sticking your finger in the ground lanting one little seed and saying now watch i knew i was right
we needed a thirty thousand dollar pick to dig that he in order for it to grow

wow

look
my offer still stands

i m handy and not an expert
i also have back issues but can and will push mysrlf to work anyway

i will pay in full the land and a few years taxes
it will be at least ten aces of wooded and fertile property
you only need to bring yourself and so.e transportation because i no longer drive
your only expense would be the cost of your cabin which you will determine
it coupd cost you nptig depending on how simple you want to live
i will also provide a generator and some solar

anywhere in the us is ok as long as i can get the property with low taxes
no restrictions and ten or more wooded acres for under twenty k

ill check back here in a few weeks to see if there are any serious peoe who want to live simply and get the fuck aeay from society

if not
no problem
enjoy your million dollar fifth wheels and american idol while you rough it at the oyster bar in yosemite
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27595033
Turkey
11/12/2012 11:18 AM
Report Abusive Post

Wake up people!

Mark of the Beast

You make a very good point about moving to a developing country for that reason of no surveillance. Are you originally from the USA? Our ideal situation would be to get some land in the middle of the woods somewhere, near a decent SMALL population. Hasn't happened yet, but we have been practicing on our measly acre with growing food, raising chickens, etc.
 Quoting: Laura Bow

I have lived in many countries. English is my first language.

Integrating into a small self-sufficient community/town/village is a great idea. But some are weary of outsiders, and it can take a long time to gain their trust. So, the sooner the better with your integration plans. If you intend to bug-out to such a community without establishing roots there first, don't be surprised if they turn you away if TSHTF, as many such places will close their gates to those whom they perceive to be outsiders.

Any food-producing land is better than no land. You should consider planning for future weather problems too, and check into greenhouses, aquaponics, permaculture etc. if you haven't already. Synergistic ecosystems are a good goal.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1028551
United States
11/12/2012 12:10 PM
Report Abusive Post

Kudos, really. You must know from experience then: You don't do it all at once, its a slowly built system over many many years to become truly self-sufficient. One might hold off on livestock until they had the means to feed them without the usage of much outside feeds in order to prevent what you described above. Same thing for the other items, you can't expect to do it all at once you'll freaking kill yourself and I doubt many are that rich.

To feed chickens and Turkeys even after your set up and have a couple of goats for cheese and milk you need to plant about 3-4 acres into grain and then maybe you would have some left over for yourselves.

Yes you can forage and pick things like plaintains for them thru the winter but you would spend alot of time doing this also. You could add rabbits as the three go together nicely but still huge piles of work. Huge. Vegan works better. Grow huge gardens of root vegtables that store over the winter then start all over again the following spring.

Hunt what you can for protein and fish and dry it all for over the winter. Better buy a ton of salt litterally.

Do you seriously think you have that kind of time to get somthing going with the way things are going...?

You need to start to really sit down and get some reading under your belt to understand how it would all work. I've seen many people with many a good intention move to the country for the lifstyle and leave within the first two years even when they bought a place that was partially set up already. Its not for the meek or people with bad backs.

This is good insight here - bumping for continued discussion of difficulties and solutions, OP you still around?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 300884
Sweden
11/12/2012 12:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Power to you, OP!

I think this may not be the best place to recruit though. We're mostly whiners around here.
livefree
User ID: 26038371
United States
11/14/2012 10:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
where in the states? Myself and two of my good friends are looking for a fourth, are saving for land also and want to put it all together. We are looking to do the same as soon as possible.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10372663
United States
11/14/2012 10:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP you give off a condescending tone about people being all talk but here you are still full of talk!!!!

IF and that's a big IF you were serious you would have already found and purchased the property THEN started looking for slaves OOOPPPSSS did I type that out? I mean people to help you live off grid.

You are correct people that are serious don't talk they do and you're still at the talking point.

A question though why would you come here to advertise? Think about it every time there's a disagreement about ANYTHING out comes the SHILLS and TROLLS and paid informants etc etc for days everyone would be screaming names at each other. YEA that sounds like it will work GO FOR IT!!!!

FYI we've been living off grid since 79
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1827427
United States
11/19/2012 01:35 AM
Report Abusive Post

a few farm animals
make cheese

Did you vote for Obama?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22342469

Are you fucking high?

Whats thesense in voting when "THEY" control it all
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1827427
United States
11/19/2012 01:35 AM
Report Abusive Post

a few farm animals
make cheese

Did you vote for Obama?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22342469

Are you fucking high?

Whats thesense in voting when "THEY" control it all

GLP