Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,371 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 261,484
Pageviews Today: 418,099Threads Today: 155Posts Today: 2,710
04:31 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Bro-in law divorcing my sister because she voted Obama! Obamacare could shut him down :(

Seeing both sides
User ID: 14898437
United States
11/12/2012 01:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Bro-in law divorcing my sister because she voted Obama! Obamacare could shut him down :(
First of all thank God they don't have kids.

My sister has always been an entitled sort of person, learned that from our parents. They spoiled us. I had the sense to figure out the real world isn't like that.

She married a really good guy who owns a machine shop. He employs 57 people including office staff. He has made plans for a "what if" in case Obama was re-elected, he was pulling for Romney. Obama won and now he's at plan B, and he will have to let 8 people go before the end of the year to avoid the new Obamacare fines/taxes since his employees don't have insurance.

Now before you hate on this man, understand that after paying all his employees, expenses, taxes, maintenance, and upkeep/new equipment he clears about $140,000 per year. Some years more, some less. In the last 10 years he says his actual pay/salary fluctuated between $80K and $190K depending on contracts and business.

The cost of insuring his employees would be about $350,000 for a minimum basic plan. That would put him in the red even before himself taking a salary. He would have to close shop. If he paid the $2500 per employee fine that kicks in for employers with 50 or more employees, he would pay a fine/tax of $110,000. Meaning his expected take home salary/profit would be anywhere from a net loss of $30K to a positive salary of only $80K - the latter only if he has a banner year.

He is unwilling to take a chance with his own livelihood and gas already informed his employees of the coming cuts - two office personnel, and six machinists. They are upset but they understand his reasoning. Even the handful of Obama supporters at his shop seemed to suddenly "get it" o cw the reality hit them, that they could lose THEIR job because of Obamacare.

Which brings me to my sister.

My bro-in-law has had conversations with me, and with her, about how Obamacare will quite literally hurt his business and/or his ability to grow the company. He found out that she voted for Obama when he overheard her talking to a friend about the election. At first he was nonchalant about it, and asked her why and she told him "well it's good that he wants to help people".

After stewing over it a few days, he changed the locks while she was at work and put her stuff in a Uhaul truck. When she got home he had already had an attorney file divorce papers and since they had a pre-nup, she gets nothing.

I am having a hard time because I can't really blame him, but I love my sister. Although I cannot understand for the life of me why she would vote in a way that was so contrary to her personal interests.

Not sure what to think.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27571488
Canada
11/12/2012 01:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Bro-in law divorcing my sister because she voted Obama! Obamacare could shut him down :(
lol

And a pre-nup so she gets nothing? Don't she have a job??
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1421478
United States
11/12/2012 01:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Bro-in law divorcing my sister because she voted Obama! Obamacare could shut him down :(
Your brother-in-law sounds like a great man.

Here's hoping he starts hitting the town and gets himself some new young arm candy.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27571488
Canada
11/12/2012 01:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
And yeah, people don't know how much it's gonna hurt businesses...

A LOT... AND I MEAN A LOT of businesses are gonna close shop in 2013...

IMO unemployment will be at least 10%+ officially (unless they cook the numbers really hard) at the end of 2013.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19199109
United States
11/12/2012 01:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Mom and Dad will let you be rebellious to their ideals and still be there for you.

Husband... well in this case it seems no.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25192764
United States
11/12/2012 01:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
good for him
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 14898437
United States
11/12/2012 01:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
She has a job, she does hair/manicures but she pretty much took that up for the social part of it. She only makes about $30K a year herself and pretty much was happy to live off her husband. That's why I can't understand why she voted in a manner that would hurt her husband's business, even if her one vote didn't affect the outcome. By the way, he's not the kind if guy to demand she do anything. He's angry because he knew that SHE knew how Obamacare would hurt the company, which would not only hurt him and her, but his workers. He's really upset about having to cut people, but he has no choice.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26157260
United States
11/12/2012 01:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Seems to me she is well shed of him.
enigma116

User ID: 27150496
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 01:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
seems to me HE is well shed of her
enigma116
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8307038
United States
11/12/2012 01:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
Your brother-in-law sounds like a great man.

Here's hoping he starts hitting the town and gets himself some new young arm candy.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1421478

CLAPPA
Jento

User ID: 27314653
United States
Report Abusive Post
Seems to me like she doesn't fully understand the ramifications of Obamacare. A lot of people I know don't, even after I explain it to them. Its one of those things where your brain just doesn't process the fact that America could fail. I've talked with my girlfriend many times about this entire situation and she still says everything will workout, its gonna be fine honey dont worry. Its quite sad that so many people have no idea what they really voted for.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27399706
United States
Report Abusive Post
Thread: 2012 Election Map if Only White Men Could Vote
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27393846
United States
11/12/2012 01:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Dumbest reason to ever get a divorce lol

Fool!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23540384
United States
11/12/2012 01:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
LOL at your made up story.

The time for your lies was before Election Day..

What Republicon think tank is paying you to shill here liar?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16703657
United States
11/12/2012 01:46 AM
Report Abusive Post

My sister has always been an entitled sort of person, learned that from our parents. They spoiled us. I had the sense to figure out the real world isn't like that.

She married a really good guy who owns a machine shop. He employs 57 people including office staff. He has made plans for a "what if" in case Obama was re-elected, he was pulling for Romney. Obama won and now he's at plan B, and he will have to let 8 people go before the end of the year to avoid the new Obamacare fines/taxes since his employees don't have insurance.

Now before you hate on this man, understand that after paying all his employees, expenses, taxes, maintenance, and upkeep/new equipment he clears about $140,000 per year. Some years more, some less. In the last 10 years he says his actual pay/salary fluctuated between $80K and $190K depending on contracts and business.

The cost of insuring his employees would be about $350,000 for a minimum basic plan. That would put him in the red even before himself taking a salary. He would have to close shop. If he paid the $2500 per employee fine that kicks in for employers with 50 or more employees, he would pay a fine/tax of $110,000. Meaning his expected take home salary/profit would be anywhere from a net loss of $30K to a positive salary of only $80K - the latter only if he has a banner year.

He is unwilling to take a chance with his own livelihood and gas already informed his employees of the coming cuts - two office personnel, and six machinists. They are upset but they understand his reasoning. Even the handful of Obama supporters at his shop seemed to suddenly "get it" o cw the reality hit them, that they could lose THEIR job because of Obamacare.

My bro-in-law has had conversations with me, and with her, about how Obamacare will quite literally hurt his business and/or his ability to grow the company. He found out that she voted for Obama when he overheard her talking to a friend about the election. At first he was nonchalant about it, and asked her why and she told him "well it's good that he wants to help people".

After stewing over it a few days, he changed the locks while she was at work and put her stuff in a Uhaul truck. When she got home he had already had an attorney file divorce papers and since they had a pre-nup, she gets nothing.

I am having a hard time because I can't really blame him, but I love my sister. Although I cannot understand for the life of me why she would vote in a way that was so contrary to her personal interests.

Not sure what to think.
 Quoting: Seeing both sides 14898437

You had your answer when you said the word "she".
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 01:48 AM
Report Abusive Post

Not sure what to think.

You had your answer when you said the word "she".
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16703657

Definition of a modern liberal ("progressive")

"Someone able to hold two opposing viewpoints simultaneously, with no apparent conflict"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18028121
Australia
11/12/2012 01:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Smart move on his part. She was told before voting that Obamcare would hurt him and his employees and yet she ignored it. If my husband deliberately and knowingly voted to harm a business I had spent years building up I would conclude (rightly)that he didn't care about me. Why stay married to someone who obviously doesn't care about you.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 01:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Mom and Dad will let you be rebellious to their ideals and still be there for you.

Husband... well in this case it seems no.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19199109

I've known PLENTY of mother and fathers who are not "there for" their adult children who live antithetical to their values.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 01:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
She has a job, she does hair/manicures but she pretty much took that up for the social part of it. She only makes about $30K a year herself and pretty much was happy to live off her husband. That's why I can't understand why she voted in a manner that would hurt her husband's business, even if her one vote didn't affect the outcome. By the way, he's not the kind if guy to demand she do anything. He's angry because he knew that SHE knew how Obamacare would hurt the company, which would not only hurt him and her, but his workers. He's really upset about having to cut people, but he has no choice.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14898437

Hat's off to this man.

Your sister is a selfish... well... You know.

But fret not. Most women are.
Hellena Handbasket

User ID: 1439176
United States
11/12/2012 01:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
My guess is that your bro-in-law had other vexxing issues with your sister.
This must have been the "last straw".

If not, then he was tremendously angry at her.
Thats a real power move.

In marriage, being betrayed can change everything.

Is you sister a dumbelle? You know, very superficial and fluffy-brained?

I gotta wonder why she did that..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27575337
United States
11/12/2012 02:02 AM
Report Abusive Post

Not sure what to think.

gotta love it when the strict 'family values' neo cons are now divorcing their partners over political views.You could cut the hyporcrisy with a knife.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27531702
United States
11/12/2012 02:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
I understand the brother in law could be mad about something like that, but divorce because of just that? Had to be something else too brewing and muddying up their marriage..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27566034
United States
11/12/2012 02:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'd divorce anybody voting for o. They just would not be compatible. This is not some, "Oh, come on, honey" issue.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26023781
United States
11/12/2012 02:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
small business owners should start with firing obama voters, and she was no exception.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Seems to me she is well shed of him.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26157260

Ahh yes... The world renowned libtard "logic".
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Dumbest reason to ever get a divorce lol

Fool!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27393846

Are you kidding?

Your wife demonstrates that she doesn't give a rat's ass about something that is VERY harmful to you?

Funny that you are calling others "fool".
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6685296
United States
11/12/2012 02:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP, WHAT is he going to do when a client comes in and wants a big job done, and he CAN'T DO IT, because he doesn't HAVE and won't hire enough employees?? THEN word gets around that he's refusing jobs. AND screwing his employees.

He WILL end up going out of business anyway, OR take a BIG cut in 'his share' of the business (profit, OR lack of profit).

So OBVIOUSLY your Brother is a BAD businessman, and doesn't DESERVE to own and run a business of this scale, and should go back to working out of his garage.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23746394
United States
11/12/2012 02:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
He should divorce her. Sounds like shes an idiot, but for him marrying an idiot he is an idiot.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22342469
United States
11/12/2012 02:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
small business owners should start with firing obama voters, and she was no exception.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26023781

Whoo boy neo cons are such sore losers this time around.
First firing people for having different political opinions and now even talk of splitting from the union again.
I will personally smack the next neo con in real life in the face that I hear talk about how right wingers are so much more mature and civil that liberals.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27575337

The difference is hard to comprehend for you, but easily explained.

Conservatives usually put their money where their mouth is. Liberals take somebody else's money and put it into their own mouth.
truthwillsetyoufreeag​ain

User ID: 23952927
United States
11/12/2012 02:25 AM

Report Abusive Post
Your brother-in-law is a smart man.

Since election day hundreds of employees have been let go due to obamacare. That's just the very beginning.
thair

As long as I am an American citizen and American blood runs in these veins I shall hold myself at liberty to speak, to write, and to publish whatever I please on any subject.” - Elijah Parish Lovejoy(1802-1837)

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent...Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government...Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty...Thomas Jefferson

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light...George Washington
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26634954
Canada
11/12/2012 02:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
now thats what I call a MAN!

GLP