Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,346 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 595,968
Pageviews Today: 1,032,249Threads Today: 429Posts Today: 7,257
12:39 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

A man from Kent has been arrested for posting an image of a burning poppy on a social network site

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23508092
Australia
11/12/2012 05:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: A man from Kent has been arrested for posting an image of a burning poppy on a social network site
Good. And it's not "just burning a poppy" either. He was probably a muslim.

And for those banging on about civil liberties, try looking up what free speech actually means. People also have the right no to be offended by some disrespectful jerk pulling a stunt like this.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27508057

Exactly. This is actually the VERY reason countries told them to take their little movie crap to the courts, as they intend to do them back on their own hypocrisy. And fair call too!
LordBeagle72

User ID: 27346927
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 06:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: A man from Kent has been arrested for posting an image of a burning poppy on a social network site
These ACTS are NOT laws!!!!!!!

We the Human Race only have 2 laws - Common & Natural

Remember the Police, The Government are all private companies run by TPTB.

Look at your birth cert - they own you as well.

Who knows why this guy done it maybe he was anti-war, maybe he thought symbolism of who really runs the opium gangs, you know troops in afgan protect the poppy fields for a certain agency gotta buy their weapons some how.

WAKEY WAKEY we should be humans doing not humans being!
IRQ_1

User ID: 24600584
United States
11/12/2012 06:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
There are plenty of poppies out there that need good homes.
goaway
Jack of all trades master of none
"shall not be infringed."
BLUE RIBBON AWARNESS FOR MENS' HEALTH
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. --ISAAC ASIMOV
I never 'Ad hominem' I don't need to.
The Constitution means everything or nothing. You can't have both.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1117285
United States
11/12/2012 07:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wow.

England is fucked.

cruise
AlbatrossDetroit

User ID: 1274745
United States
11/12/2012 07:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Oh man.
AlbatrossDetroit
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27468783
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 07:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wow.

England is fucked.

cruise
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1117285

it really is

it appears we actually have a twitter police force

i wouldnt assume this guy is a muslim. muslims are, more often than not, allowed to spew hate, and there is plenty of anti-war/poppy sentiment out there

the twitter police like to round up softer targets

really, anyone saying this is ok is a fool

do we really want people rounded up for merely offending others? i am offended all the fucking time, there are shitbags offending ME everyday

thats life. or it used to be before the police stopped protecting you and started serving the state mandate
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27529041
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 07:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm offended by poppies. Would I want someone arrested for wearing one? No. They have a right to their opinion.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20542092
Netherlands
11/12/2012 07:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
What did you expect from a fascist nanny-state?
chuckle
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 07:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
David Allen Green, a journalist and lawyer for the New Statesman, tweeting as Jack of Kent, wrote: "What was the point of winning either World War if, in 2012, someone can be casually arrested by Kent Police for burning a poppy?"

Exactly. The fascism they were fighting has arrived anyway, through the back door.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18432713
United States
11/12/2012 07:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
um...really, England??

Man the fuck up already and kick some heads in. Why are people not rage-quitting on the government in protest??
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27301441
United States
11/12/2012 07:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.
I don't condone war, but to burn a poppy and not show respect to the millions that were sacrificied during WWII is horrendous.
 Quoting: Sparrow and Medicine

i thought he was protesting heroin.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4428411
United States
11/12/2012 07:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.
I don't condone war, but to burn a poppy and not show respect to the millions that were sacrificied during WWII is horrendous.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27301441

That was my initial thought, that there was some connection to heroin, but then again I have never heard of this connection between world war 2 and poppies.
BadMoonRising
User ID: 4583236
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 07:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.

Don't you see the paradox?

They fought for our freedom.

You may disagree with his actions but FFS...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27508057
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 07:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
There's a difference between offending someone and spewing hatred, incitement, etc.

To all the Ameicans who are up in arms, are you okay with your flag being burned in public then?

It's the same difference.
Sparrow and Medicine

User ID: 2042563
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 07:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.

No it is not. The fact is, these where retards, that went to war blindly for the banking system.

The poppy is not just for wwII, it is for ever war that the British services have ever fought

I will put no blood stained poppy on my chest, in support of retarded murders.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27531739

Then right now you wouldn't exist. Or if you did, you'd be in chains under a Nazi regime.
"What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you!?"
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 07:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.

That was my initial thought, that there was some connection to heroin, but then again I have never heard of this connection between world war 2 and poppies.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4428411

Fucking hell, try educating yourself.
Kissplash

User ID: 18998054
United States
11/12/2012 07:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
so the moral of the story is that if you know you havent done anything wrong but the cops come kicking down the door, lock and load to go down fighting because the system is run by criminals. amirite?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1579244

The arrest was made under section 127 of the Communications Act, which states that someone can be guilty of an offence if they "send by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character".
The law has come under fire in the past because it is too difficult to define what is "grossly offensive", rather than merely offensive.
 Quoting: smilesun

Ok. I totally get the poppy thing and why people would be offended but since when is it the job of the government to police such things? We are so worried about offending someone that we have to walk on eggshells ALL THE TIME NOW! it borders on ridiculous. So if someone stuck out his tongue at the President or the Queen of England and said something people would rightfully be offended but then a child might have a pic of themselves sticking their tongue out the next day and get arrested for being political? Don't say it can't happen, it can. So where is the line drawn to where people can have an opinion or make a common and silly gesture that gets taken out of context because we don't rationalize that we should have some slack on the chains of freedom for everyone's sake?

Should he have posted a burning poppy online, probably not, if he had any sense of value for other people's feelings. But he should have the right to his say on how he feels too. Offending someone shouldn't be a crime. Hurting others physically and mentally, yeah. But to cater to all this PC crap is ridiculous. How do you strip this man's right to freedom of speech without stripping yours and mine? Wanna take off some offending crap and throw lots of peeps in prison? Just arrest everyone who's ever been in a reality show. They put out offending things every time they air.
LEARN HOW TO BE KIND OR BE LEFT BEHIND. OXOXO
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 07:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.

No it is not. The fact is, these where retards, that went to war blindly for the banking system.

The poppy is not just for wwII, it is for ever war that the British services have ever fought

Then right now you wouldn't exist. Or if you did, you'd be in chains under a Nazi regime.

We are under a nazi regime. One where people get arrested for stating an opinion.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 07:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.

Quoting: BadMoonRising 4583236

So where do you draw the line? Is it okay to piss on a war memorial then?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20542092
Netherlands
11/12/2012 07:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
It won't be long before criticizing the British govt will be deemed a crime. Britain will join the likes of Communist China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Bahrain etc
Babylon's Rebel

User ID: 1508631
United States
11/12/2012 07:59 AM
Report Abusive Post

And for those banging on about civil liberties, try looking up what free speech actually means. People also have the right no to be offended by some disrespectful jerk pulling a stunt like this.

Actually you don't have that right, you fucking idiot. That's not a real right.

People choose to get offended. Hell, if I walked outside with a red shirt on, someone could get offended.

BECAUSE THERE ARE NO BOUNDARIES TO THE WAYS IN WHICH PEOPLE MIGHT GET OFFENDED (THE POSSIBILITIES ARE LITERALLY INFINITE), IF YOU WERE TO MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO OFFEND PEOPLE, THERE WOULD BE NO LIMITS ANYMORE TO WHAT SORT OF THINGS COULD POTENTIALLY CONSTITUTE CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR. VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING WOULD NOW BE A CRIME.

You, and the people who think just like you, are the greatest threat to freedom that ever existed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16489306
United States
11/12/2012 08:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
In Ireland poppies symbolise the repressive english domination that lasted 800 years here. Irish people were crushed and wiped out from some areas so that the english could infest us. This man did NOTHING wrong.
BadMoonRising
User ID: 4583236
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 08:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.

Who's it actually hurting?
Dr.DoomLittle

User ID: 6231580
United States
11/12/2012 08:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
so the moral of the story is that if you know you havent done anything wrong but the cops come kicking down the door, lock and load to go down fighting because the system is run by criminals. amirite?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1579244

The arrest was made under section 127 of the Communications Act, which states that someone can be guilty of an offence if they "send by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character".
The law has come under fire in the past because it is too difficult to define what is "grossly offensive", rather than merely offensive.
 Quoting: smilesun

Another ridiculous law, backdoored without the peoples consent
Dr.DoomLittle

United States
11/12/2012 08:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4428411

Fucking hell, try educating yourself.

Nope, they DO NOT HAVE A CASE. There is reasonable doubt as to intent. Irregardless of that, this law is complete bullshit and a violation of the 1st Amendment. Period.

'Poppies' symbolize something other than heroin>? I suppose this is a created paradigm, its supposed to mean something, I had no knowledge of this either. People are expected to follow every trend?

Last Edited by Intergalactic Diplomat on 11/12/2012 08:10 AM
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 08:07 AM
Report Abusive Post

People choose to get offended. Hell, if I walked outside with a red shirt on, someone could get offended.

BECAUSE THERE ARE NO BOUNDARIES TO THE WAYS IN WHICH PEOPLE MIGHT GET OFFENDED (THE POSSIBILITIES ARE LITERALLY INFINITE), IF YOU WERE TO MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO OFFEND PEOPLE, THERE WOULD BE NO LIMITS ANYMORE TO WHAT SORT OF THINGS COULD POTENTIALLY CONSTITUTE CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR. VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING WOULD NOW BE A CRIME.

You, and the people who think just like you, are the greatest threat to freedom that ever existed.
 Quoting: Babylon's Rebel

Lol, exaggerate much? Try using common sense.

You'd obviously be okay with a gang of muslims (or anyone for that matter) shouting insults to the people that died at the 9/11 memorial in NY, on 9/11.

How about people pissing on the tomb of the unknown soldier?

Sorry but that's not my idea of freedom.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 08:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.

People with feeling… You know, human beings?

Would you be okay with someone desecrating the grave of a loved one then?
Dr.DoomLittle

United States
11/12/2012 08:11 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Babylon's Rebel

Lol, exaggerate much? Try using common sense.

You'd obviously be okay with a gang of muslims (or anyone for that matter) shouting insults to the people that died at the 9/11 memorial in NY, on 9/11.

How about people pissing on the tomb of the unknown soldier?

Sorry but that's not my idea of freedom.

Straw man, and completely out of context.

How much they paying you to shill.
Dr.DoomLittle

United States
11/12/2012 08:12 AM
Report Abusive Post

People with feeling… You know, human beings?

Would you be okay with someone desecrating the grave of a loved one then?

shill
Dr.DoomLittle

United States
11/12/2012 08:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fair enough.

bsflag

You cannot claim that authority.

GLP