Extreme weather preceded collapse of Maya civilization

T Ceti H.C. Radnarg

User ID: 27089841
United States
11/12/2012 01:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Extreme weather preceded collapse of Maya civilization
May be proof that climate change ends civilizations.
 Quoting: Witch King

its a fact
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1487375

Wouldn't an intelligent civilization just move to a more thriving environment?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1266452

Oh ya, they could have just hopped into the Family Minivan, gassed up and drove. LOL.

It's a LONG WALK and major issue to relocate a Civilization up to 1000's of miles on a whim of bad weather.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16040125
agent we got another critical thinker outside the box,lol..
How unfortunate for some rulers when men,women,and children continue to think... Keep repeating the lies loud enough and long enough and just maybe the people will start to believe the lies again and good luck with that...finding your energy open until mars becomes raging aries...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18401048
United States
11/12/2012 01:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

i find your theory very hard to believe in terms of structures.
 Quoting: Oyster
...what theory?...cant you critically think? where are the burial sites for the so called ancient civilizations that would have had millions and millions of humans and dont forget the industries it took to feed and cloth those millions and millions of the general populations...where's all that missing evidence? the lack of enough physical evidence shows history is a staged lie...anyone can see that if they take into account the general population,the industries and their artifacts that are missing... that which we have been told of the so called ancient civilizations stinks to high heaven...kenniwick man bones were supposed to be 10,000 years old,if his bones can survive then a 100 million other bones can survive too...the lies are catching up with the liars...they didn't cover their tracks very well...
 Quoting: T Ceti H.C. Radnarg

well...it is a theory, you have to admit that. there are several very good threads that are in line with you ideas and i find them all to be very interesting.

critical thinking:

i totally subscribe to the idea of alternate histories against what we've been taught....burial sites being an indicator. HOWEVER, you have to remember that 90% of people live and lived near the coast and much of ancient culure is now underwater. also, i wouldnt expect to find much ancient clothing.....throw a t-shirt out in you yard, leave it for a couple of years and see what happens to it....it doesnt last. there were no "industries" to feed and clothe people, people made their own materials and fed themselves for the most part. most of what we find is made of stone (structures) and clay because the products last thousands of years.

in the times of kenniwich man there was only 1,000,000 to 10,000,000 people alive so your estimates are way too high. plus it is not like we have dug up the entire earth and found a supreme lack of population. earth is a big place, there is much much more to be discovered.
...the secret is in this "bible" verse> there's nothing new under the sun ,it was here in another time,built by men who wont be remembered...<that's subliminal brain entrainment written to cause the reader to forget the men who staged the ruins and the props...there are artifacts such as textiles and those things that are supposed to rot away found..if a few survived,then all of them should have survived..whats good for the goose is good for the gander...

not necessarily. if every textile was under the same conditions then maybe but forces like weather, erosion and exposure to moisture play a role. example...that t shirt i mention earlier....i bet the one in your closet lasts ALOT longer than the one in your yard.....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1405546
United States
11/12/2012 01:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
Is a great cover story for the potential truth.

Cities were abandoned when an alien race came along with not so nice intentions.

I believe the oldest pyramids were star ships. If gravity can be nullified, it is easier, cheaper and cleaner to build a massive stone ship then a fragile metal one.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27329750
United States
11/12/2012 01:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
i'm not shilling you or anything, but wtf is a witch king? witch is a female word, warlock is the male equivalent.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27604832
Mexico
11/12/2012 02:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
fyi in the myan sport the winners were the ones that were killed. The thinking was that the better the warrior/player the more worthy to meet the gods. Get your facts straight.
Anonymous Coward
Mexico
11/12/2012 02:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
I guess I will speak a little bit more on this subject because I live in the area where the Myan culture was/is. The myans were the last part of mexico that the spaniards defeated. They were valiant warriors and the culture was thriving even when the spanish came. One poster was correct saying that it was mostly disease that wiped them out. I can tell you from first hand experience that the culture is still alive and well the locals still speak the myan dialect. Its very funny to read what you guys think you know.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
I guess I will speak a little bit more on this subject because I live in the area where the Myan culture was/is. The myans were the last part of mexico that the spaniards defeated. They were valiant warriors and the culture was thriving even when the spanish came. One poster was correct saying that it was mostly disease that wiped them out. I can tell you from first hand experience that the culture is still alive and well the locals still speak the myan dialect. Its very funny to read what you guys think you know.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27604832

i am very interested in mayan culture. obviously i am not as in tune with it as you. if i am off base with any of my post please correct me.
Anonymous Coward
Mexico
11/12/2012 02:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Oyster, I am learning the culture myself. The people here are extremely nice and they love to talk ALOT! I have repelled into some very deep and remote caves here and have seen pottery that they used to collect water. One thing about the yucatan is it has no rivers, the ground here is limestone extremely porous but the have a lot of rain and thus a lot of ground water. A bad drought would certainly affect the people here in a bad way they depended on the rain for their corn crops no rain = no food. They have 2 rainy seasons here where it rains for a few months at around 5pm every day so they plant the crops according to this weather pattern and the traditional farmers here still do it that way. This year for example the rain came late by two weeks and a lot of people lost their corn crop.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Oyster, I am learning the culture myself. The people here are extremely nice and they love to talk ALOT! I have repelled into some very deep and remote caves here and have seen pottery that they used to collect water. One thing about the yucatan is it has no rivers, the ground here is limestone extremely porous but the have a lot of rain and thus a lot of ground water. A bad drought would certainly affect the people here in a bad way they depended on the rain for their corn crops no rain = no food. They have 2 rainy seasons here where it rains for a few months at around 5pm every day so they plant the crops according to this weather pattern and the traditional farmers here still do it that way. This year for example the rain came late by two weeks and a lot of people lost their corn crop.

i would be really interested to hear about the new cycle (calendar)....
Copernica

User ID: 17525775
United States
11/12/2012 02:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
]...what theory?...cant you critically think? where are the burial sites for the so called ancient civilizations that would have had millions and millions of humans and dont forget the industries it took to feed and cloth those millions and millions of the general populations...where's all that missing evidence? the lack of enough physical evidence shows history is a staged lie...anyone can see that if they take into account the general population,the industries and their artifacts that are missing... that which we have been told of the so called ancient civilizations stinks to high heaven...kenniwick man bones were supposed to be 10,000 years old,if his bones can survive then a 100 million other bones can survive too...the lies are catching up with the liars...they didn't cover their tracks very well...

Lack of bodies - how about they burned them? or they left the bodies to be picked clean by animals and whatever the animals left, was burned or used as tools and whatnot? We also know that bodies were mummified and stashed in caves. Then there's the actual burying part - if contained to small family plots, maybe we just haven't found them? We still haven't found all the HUGE temples! So it's not at all suspicious we haven't found all itty bitty bones.

Industries? Why would they need industries? And why would there be ruins of them if they existed? If you're working out of a wood hut or lean to or in the open air - there isn't going to be much evidence you were ever there. Again....big temples are still being discovered...so maybe we just haven't FOUND them yet.

You're making a lot of assumptions to reach your conclusions.
God Bless President TRUMP! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27607422
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 02:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

its a fact

ok then, with that logic, where would Canada move to?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27488535
United States
11/12/2012 02:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
An extended drought between A.D. 1020 and 1100 that likely corresponded with crop failures, death, famine, migration and, ultimately, the collapse of the Maya population.

[link to news.ucdavis.edu]

Let's not forget the spaniards.
 Quoting: GoldenRuled

spaniards took out what was left (mostly disease). but when they got here there were vast cities left abandoned and the mayans who remained lived in small groups away from the cities.

they moved..to underground..below the sphinx..thats why there are canals with water etc to float around in this area. They werent so stupid to let drought kill them.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

its a fact

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27607422

Central america..South america where there is vast jungle, forest yr round garden area.
Anonymous Coward
Mexico
11/12/2012 02:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
About the calendar Oyster im afraid there isnt much to it. I asked my girlfriend who is myan about this and she said the reason they stopped making it was because the spanish came and forced their religion on the people. Simply the myans stopped making the calendar because the spanish wouldnt allow it due to suppression of the culture. Sorry I couldnt give you a more mysterious answer.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
An extended drought between A.D. 1020 and 1100 that likely corresponded with crop failures, death, famine, migration and, ultimately, the collapse of the Maya population.

[link to news.ucdavis.edu]

Let's not forget the spaniards.
 Quoting: GoldenRuled

spaniards took out what was left (mostly disease). but when they got here there were vast cities left abandoned and the mayans who remained lived in small groups away from the cities.

they moved..to underground..below the sphinx..thats why there are canals with water etc to float around in this area. They werent so stupid to let drought kill them.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27488535

mayans....sphinx....?
Anonymous Coward
Mexico
11/12/2012 02:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
That is correct they collected the water under ground in caves due to the porous nature of limestone water leaks through and they would collect and store water underground.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
About the calendar Oyster im afraid there isnt much to it. I asked my girlfriend who is myan about this and she said the reason they stopped making it was because the spanish came and forced their religion on the people. Simply the myans stopped making the calendar because the spanish wouldnt allow it due to suppression of the culture. Sorry I couldnt give you a more mysterious answer.

Thats wrong. They quit making it because they traced it backwards, then forwards to where the planets were alligned when time began...and ended it when these same planets will be aligned ..maybe a new time will begin, maybe so time will end. That is what we do not know.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 02:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

i thought the calendar was complete? it is cyclical is it not?

it doesnt end, it resets. right?

i wasnt looking for a doomish answer, more about the new age of man.

perhaps i am WAY wrong.
THE Professor !
User ID: 16389604
United States
11/12/2012 02:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
JUST AS extreme weather/HEAT and earthquakes will proceed this coming collapse !

Got ANY Food, Water, ammo, seeds, tools and the ability to USE the last three, GRASSHOPPERS ? It's WINTER time chirpers !
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16389604
United States
11/12/2012 02:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's NOT about 'New Age' crap. And this will NOT be 'your oyster', Oyster !
Anonymous Coward
Mexico
11/12/2012 02:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
I am just repeating what I was told from my girlfriend who lives here. Her aunt is an archaeologist who actually worked on chechinitza I will have to ask her for a better answer.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 02:48 PM
Report Abusive Post

its a fact

Central america..South america where there is vast jungle, forest yr round garden area.

what every Canadian is just going to pack their suitcases then and arrive in south america?
hmmm,I think I may have spotted quite a few fatal flaws in your plan...chuckle

what about your infrastructure?
banking?
monetary system?
all vehicles would need adapting
health systems?

man, I mean there is just too much to even try to put down on here even for a laugh.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 02:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

i thought the calendar was complete? it is cyclical is it not?

it doesnt end, it resets. right?

i wasnt looking for a doomish answer, more about the new age of man.

perhaps i am WAY wrong.

it never ends just goes into a new era......the age of aquarius isn't it iirc?

water.....
hmmm
ARK....
hmmm
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27142624
Mexico
11/12/2012 02:54 PM
Report Abusive Post

.... brought about by the arrogance of mankind in his destruction of the planet. The Mayans brought about their own ends by routinely cutting down huge trees for their bonfires which were used for human sacrifice. They also just as routinely sacrificed all of their 'first fruits' - virgins - both male and female, including innocent children. It's also interesting to note that they were one of the original creators of SPORTS; however, their 'sports' always ended in blood and death, for the losers.

There's a saying ... "When the Mayans return, the end is not far off." Or something to that extent. Yes, we are now in end times, yes the Mayans have returned, in the form of Latinos (Mexicans) who are the children of these Mayans, and yes our civilization aka 'mankind' has begun its own demise by the foolish destruction of our own planet. So don't look for 'climate change' that ends civilization - we should all just look to ourselves to see the destruction we have ALL wrought against nature in one way or another; we are all guilty of crimes against the earth - our only habitat - which now begins to close.

Blessings to all who understand and support my statement! Thank you for reading my post. hf
 Quoting: The Earth is Weeping 16349631

I am trying to discern any truth to what you wrote above. But I cant, it is entirely worthless made up garbage. I dont even know where to start...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27142624
Mexico
11/12/2012 02:58 PM
Report Abusive Post

its a fact

The classical period ended 800-900AD. The most vibrant part of their civilization collapsed at that time. Not sure why everyone is talking 2 to 3 hundreds years later as being significant to the Maya civilization...
Person445

User ID: 11438968
Canada
11/12/2012 02:58 PM
Report Abusive Post

Follow me on Twitter: @RussellScott202
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/12/2012 07:17 PM
Report Abusive Post

what every Canadian is just going to pack their suitcases then and arrive in south america?
hmmm,I think I may have spotted quite a few fatal flaws in your plan...chuckle

what about your infrastructure?
banking?
monetary system?
all vehicles would need adapting
health systems?

man, I mean there is just too much to even try to put down on here even for a laugh.

You think you start a new with infrastructure/banking/vehicles? You are the laugh!

GLP