Sandy Aftermath: Description of Situation Inside FEMA Camp. "We got Fucked"

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23766809
United States
11/12/2012 01:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Sandy Aftermath: Description of Situation Inside FEMA Camp. "We got Fucked"
I'm not trying to be insensitive, but what does everyone really expect a FEMA camp post-disaster to be? A stay at the Hilton? Fresh linens and a down comforter?

Loud generators? duh
Guards patroling and keeping an eye for people who have an absolute nervous breakdown? (think NO meds for A LOT of ppl) obviously

Obsiously its going to be rough, but does no one remember them BEGGING everyone to leave and get out of the entire area? (GLP was making fun of the NOAA plea "think of your family and the responders who will have to come save your asses")
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9277476

I have to agree with you. If you can't take care of yourself and do not have anyone to help you besides the gov this is what happens.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8171374
United States
11/12/2012 01:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
My work place has access cards that need to be used at EVERY door.. including the bathrooms!
edit: and just to be clear, I don't work in a prison, I work in an office building: end edit

It's done to ensure no undesirables get in and hurt those working in the building.
Are you telling me that none of you GLP'rs have worked in a secure building? That is why they call it a "secure site".

I agree with a previous poster who mentioned that if something went wrong..ie: rape, molestation, etc. that there would be and outcry about the "lack" of security.
You cannot have secure, without security measures!

If people can get in and out at will.. why doesn't someone just go to the nearest SallyAnne and get a game? It would probably be given to them for FREE if asked for! A deck of cards is not a difficult thing to get and board games line the shelves of second hand stores.. for 25 or 50 cents.

These people are in a secure site for their protection.. Its time people that are in these sites, tried to help make life a litte better for themselves and others by offering to do something. Help clean, pool resources, figure out what "can" be done and "do" it!
 Quoting: my2centsworth

Are you kidding me??

you are joking right??

You think taking away someone's freedoms is ok for the sake of "protection"??

How many are out there that think like you??

If a lot we are doomed as a world. This will soon be a prison camp world

Go live in a locked down prison camp for your own protection right now.
Sounds like you are feeling really unsafe and
let them take "care" of you

just don't whine when the gunman show up
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26713336
United States
11/12/2012 01:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
does anyone find it strange that people are starving and martial law spreading?

no help for american citizens only expansion of martial law

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24279842
Canada
11/12/2012 01:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
"“They treat us like we’re prisoners,” says Ashley Sabol, 21, of Seaside Heights, New Jersey. “It’s bad to say, but we honestly feel like we’re in a concentration camp.

Read more: [link to teapartyeconomist.com]
 Quoting: ^TrInItY^

And yet they remain.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 667687
United States
11/12/2012 01:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just two questions if anyone knows the answers...

1. Were (are) they allowed to leave?

2. is the tent city out in the boonies, or walking distance from civilization?
MtBarb

User ID: 1293349
United States
11/12/2012 01:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
I wonder if they will all get rfid tags of some sort?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24068631

Yes they will!!!! State of New Jersey Awards Radiant RFID 5-Year Emergency Management Solution Contract

[link to www.radiantrfid.com]
 Quoting: Alepho5

Why was it awarded two weeks BEFORE Superstorm Sandy? Did they know something?
MtBarb
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27329750
United States
11/12/2012 01:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm not trying to be insensitive, but what does everyone really expect a FEMA camp post-disaster to be? A stay at the Hilton? Fresh linens and a down comforter?

Loud generators? duh
Guards patroling and keeping an eye for people who have an absolute nervous breakdown? (think NO meds for A LOT of ppl) obviously

Obsiously its going to be rough, but does no one remember them BEGGING everyone to leave and get out of the entire area? (GLP was making fun of the NOAA plea "think of your family and the responders who will have to come save your asses")
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9277476

hahaha...what i remember is the SHILLS being out in full force, and maybe people are so programmed they had doubts because of the shills, and didn't go to safety because they read on GLP that 'it would fizzle' and 'this was normal.'
MuzzleBreak

User ID: 24432368
United States
11/12/2012 01:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Food and water, a cot, a blanket, inside a partially heated tent is a whole lot better than sleeping under a bridge with trolls lurking about.
In his book, "Between Two Ages," Brzezinski wrote: "The technetronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values."

MuzzleBreak
krosty

User ID: 15571780
United States
11/12/2012 01:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just feed them all massive doses of klonopin. When it's time to do some work, amphetamine. Someone acting out of line? Thorazine.
my2centsworth

User ID: 5382682
Canada
11/12/2012 01:22 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26713336

I wonder if people seeing this video will realize what the word "prepare" and/or evacuate means now? So many people didn't "prepare" or evacuate. So many people thought they'd go on, as normal, within days of this disaster. So many people were, and some still are, walking around with blinders on.

Now they blame the government for not preparing for them.

In our home we would have a minimum of 2 weeks’ worth of food, no problem. Being told to prepare, we’d get in another 2 weeks’ worth.. When evacuation is called for, and people don’t have vehicles because they use city transit.. how do you take, 2 weeks’ worth of food with you? You cannot carry that much stuff onto a bus.

It’s been 2 weeks for these people.. the bus service isn’t on line, to them yet. That is not acceptable. Were those busses damaged in the storm? If so, alternate arrangements by their city council should have been made. Where is their city council?

Garbage pickup isn’t happening. That is not acceptable. Did those garbage trucks get damaged? If so alternate arrangements should have been made..Where is their city council?

There are people who are still trying to get to work on a daily basis, without the city infrastructure to support them as would normally be the case… The Feds can provide the money to help and send in the forces but your city council is responsible for arranging and planning for these things. If they aren’t doing their jobs, then all the money and manpower in the world won’t help.. The money needs to be spent on the right things and the man power needs to be directed to jobs based on highest priority.

God knows, I wouldn't want to be in a high rise with no power or water. What a horrible situation. But getting power on to those buildings means fixing the wiring that was soaked by salt water.. that could take months. People in those buildings really do need to get out of there. It would seem to me that a tent city would be a far better place to be than in the growing squalor of a tenement building.

Next time people are told to "prepare" and/or evacuate I wonder how many actually will?
RTS REDUX

User ID: 8620349
United States
11/12/2012 01:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 667687

not sure about #1

the camp is located at Monmouth Race Track and according to Google maps there's a 7-11 across the street.

I don't see much else in the immediate area
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27588962
United States
11/12/2012 01:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
The sad reality is that Snooki and the rest of the Jersey shore crew all safe somewhere in California probably.
ayr phorce yuan

User ID: 24275470
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 01:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Barbed wire fence surrounding? Yeah, that would make people feel uneasy right there.
 Quoting: Earth Daughter

schools have those
the younger people will know no difference because it's how they grew up
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27140202

Most dynamic post of the thread thus far.
GLP alert level 2; "Go get a Hard Hat:.

GLP alert level 1; "Put the fucking Hat on:.
my2centsworth

Canada
11/12/2012 01:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
My work place has access cards that need to be used at EVERY door.. including the bathrooms!
edit: and just to be clear, I don't work in a prison, I work in an office building: end edit

It's done to ensure no undesirables get in and hurt those working in the building.
Are you telling me that none of you GLP'rs have worked in a secure building? That is why they call it a "secure site".

I agree with a previous poster who mentioned that if something went wrong..ie: rape, molestation, etc. that there would be and outcry about the "lack" of security.

If people can get in and out at will.. why doesn't someone just go to the nearest SallyAnne and get a game? It would probably be given to them for FREE if asked for! A deck of cards is not a difficult thing to get and board games line the shelves of second hand stores.. for 25 or 50 cents.

These people are in a secure site for their protection.. Its time people that are in these sites, tried to help make life a litte better for themselves and others by offering to do something. Help clean, pool resources, figure out what "can" be done and "do" it!

Are you kidding me??

you are joking right??

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 8171374

So? cut back on the security measures, and let the women and children protect themselves against predators.. and God knows there are predators.

Once the attacks start happening.. are you going to be one of the people saying there should have been more protection in place for these people?

If I want to work, and keep my job.. it means working in a secure building. No one forced me to take this job. I had to accept the security measures, just like everyone else in the building.. or find other work.

I guess the same scenario is in place for those in the "tent city". But, once they have decided to accept the security of this site, then it's time to roll up sleeves and make the best of this situation. Get the games, cards, books, and whatever else you need to keep minds from being bored.. offer to help where needed and get on with life, until you can go back home, or permanently relocate. I'm thinking a fair number of these people will never be able to go back home.. there will be a lot of demolition taking place I'm sure.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26713336
United States
11/12/2012 01:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26713336

I wonder if people seeing this video will realize what the word "prepare" and/or evacuate means now? So many people didn't "prepare" or evacuate. So many people thought they'd go on, as normal, within days of this disaster. So many people were, and some still are, walking around with blinders on.

Now they blame the government for not preparing for them.

In our home we would have a minimum of 2 weeks’ worth of food, no problem. Being told to prepare, we’d get in another 2 weeks’ worth.. When evacuation is called for, and people don’t have vehicles because they use city transit.. how do you take, 2 weeks’ worth of food with you? You cannot carry that much stuff onto a bus.

It’s been 2 weeks for these people.. the bus service isn’t on line, to them yet. That is not acceptable. Were those busses damaged in the storm? If so, alternate arrangements by their city council should have been made. Where is their city council?

Garbage pickup isn’t happening. That is not acceptable. Did those garbage trucks get damaged? If so alternate arrangements should have been made..Where is their city council?

There are people who are still trying to get to work on a daily basis, without the city infrastructure to support them as would normally be the case… The Feds can provide the money to help and send in the forces but your city council is responsible for arranging and planning for these things. If they aren’t doing their jobs, then all the money and manpower in the world won’t help.. The money needs to be spent on the right things and the man power needs to be directed to jobs based on highest priority.

God knows, I wouldn't want to be in a high rise with no power or water. What a horrible situation. But getting power on to those buildings means fixing the wiring that was soaked by salt water.. that could take months. People in those buildings really do need to get out of there. It would seem to me that a tent city would be a far better place to be than in the growing squalor of a tenement building.

Next time people are told to "prepare" and/or evacuate I wonder how many actually will?

its all failing, peter king the head of homeland security wants the military to take over LIPA, a public light company.

They are forcing people from there homes, by making it unsafe to live there and into FEMA camps...plain and simple.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27329750
United States
11/12/2012 01:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
ah, it IS a douchebert thread...wow nice, super pin for one cut n paste post, and OP takes a hike. TYPICAL.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27601247
Hong Kong
11/12/2012 01:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
ah, it IS a douchebert thread...wow nice, super pin for one cut n paste post, and OP takes a hike. TYPICAL.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27329750

So I'm not the only one that has noticed the frequency of this.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 667687
United States
11/12/2012 01:52 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 667687

not sure about #1

the camp is located at Monmouth Race Track and according to Google maps there's a 7-11 across the street.

I don't see much else in the immediate area
 Quoting: RTS REDUX

Thanks... didn't think about using google earth.

So it's not out in the boonies.

Maybe tricking them to get on the bus with the lure of a motel room was a prickish deed, but if they can come and go as they please... I got no problem with it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21340497
United States
11/12/2012 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
....Clearly a trial run for the SLAUGHTERHOUSE.

Gathering reams of behavioral data on the Feral Ape.

Classification of the various Feral Ape Types, and common characteristics.

Which Apes will likely cry, scream, run, comply, or fight.

Chemical testing, low frequency bombardment testing, microwave testing.

Never let an opportunity like a pack of Feral Apes in a confined space go to waste!

Step right up, one ticket and one ticket only for the "shower".
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14627334

When Katrina happened, everyone was saying THAT was the trial run.
my2centsworth

Canada
11/12/2012 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

Are you kidding me??

you are joking right??

Are you kidding me?? No I'm not!
you are joking right?? No I'm not!

You think taking away someone's freedoms is ok for the sake of "protection"?? Every one has the option to either go and make the best of it, or make other arrangements for themselves.. their freedom is not in question here, but their security is!

How many are out there that think like you?? I would hope many people think like I do.

If a lot we are doomed as a world. This will soon be a prison camp world... This isn't a prison camp! People can go in and out with their cards at will... the card is to show you are registered there and are free to come and go as they please.

let them take "care" of you...just don't whine when the gunman show up....Funny! I had to register and pay membership here if I wanted an ad-free experience while on this site. Is that also part of your "prison state"?

The bottom line is, you do what you have to, to get the experience you want. No one forced anyone into those tent cities.. people can leave.. just like no one forced me to pay for my membership here so that I could rid myself of those dam ads. It's called "freedom of choice"
my2centsworth

Canada
11/12/2012 01:59 PM
Report Abusive Post

Are you kidding me??

you are joking right??

Are you kidding me?? No I'm not!
you are joking right?? No I'm not!

You think taking away someone's freedoms is ok for the sake of "protection"?? Every one has the option to either go and make the best of it, or make other arrangements for themselves.. their freedom is not in question here, but their security is!

How many are out there that think like you?? I would hope many people think like I do.

If a lot we are doomed as a world. This will soon be a prison camp world... This isn't a prison camp! People can go in and out with their cards at will... the card is to show you are registered there and are free to come and go as they please.

let them take "care" of you...just don't whine when the gunman show up....Funny! I had to register and pay membership here if I wanted an ad-free experience while on this site. Is that also part of your "prison state"?

The bottom line is, you do what you have to, to get the experience you want. No one forced anyone into those tent cities.. people can leave.. just like no one forced me to pay for my membership here so that I could rid myself of those dam ads. It's called "freedom of choice"

edit: and isn't it interesting that shit statements like yours always seem to be AC...'s? Identify yourself.. register..... no? why?

Last Edited by my2centsworth on 11/12/2012 02:18 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26027912
United Kingdom
11/12/2012 02:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Inside the giant billowy white tents, the massive klieg lights glare down from the ceiling all night long. The air is loud with the buzz of generators pumping out power. The post-storm housing — a refugee camp on the grounds of the Monmouth Park racetrack – is in lockdown, with security guards at every door, including the showers.

No one is allowed to go anywhere without showing their I.D. Even to use the bathroom, “you have to show your badge,” said Amber Decamp, a 22-year-old whose rental was washed away in Seaside Heights, New Jersey.

Read More:

[link to cryptogon.com]
 Quoting: DoorBert

THEY WERE FUCKED ALONG TIME BEFORE SANDY AND USE ALL DID IT TO YOURSELFS
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27601247
Hong Kong
11/12/2012 02:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Inside the giant billowy white tents, the massive klieg lights glare down from the ceiling all night long. The air is loud with the buzz of generators pumping out power. The post-storm housing — a refugee camp on the grounds of the Monmouth Park racetrack – is in lockdown, with security guards at every door, including the showers.

No one is allowed to go anywhere without showing their I.D. Even to use the bathroom, “you have to show your badge,” said Amber Decamp, a 22-year-old whose rental was washed away in Seaside Heights, New Jersey.

Read More:

[link to cryptogon.com]

THEY WERE FUCKED ALONG TIME BEFORE SANDY AND USE ALL DID IT TO YOURSELFS
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26027912

Great,another fucking cap tard.
RTS REDUX

United States
11/12/2012 02:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
No Red Tape? Non-Union FEMA Crews, Water and Other Supplies Sit Idle Thanks To Unions & Red Tape

It’s been two weeks since Hurricane Sandy killed 113 people, wiped out portions of towns, and knocked out power to millions. It has also been two weeks since Barack Obama pledged, “No bureaucracy. No red tape.”

However, according to multiple public and private sources, unions and union-related red tape are causing workers from out of state to be turned back, as well as workers contracted by FEMA, as well as tons of supplies, already in New York and New Jersey to sit idle—at a cost of millions to taxpayers.

more @ [link to www.redstate.com]

ochange
Mix
User ID: 1430445
United States
11/12/2012 02:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
I really want to know. ... If you decide to leave and just go out on your own. Will they let you go? I understand maybe they do not want people waffling and moving in and out, but can you just move on out of there with your toothbrush and be gone?
can't have it both ways
User ID: 27541343
United States
11/12/2012 02:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
If you didn't prepare then whine because you didn't and expect to be handed a silver platter...
I see the prison camp thing going on and it probably is a practice run,again.
Protection and safety are an issue and whom would you pick to protect you in these circumstances?
People are sheep they do NOT take responsibility for themselves and expect others to hand it to them when they are down. With that said people that have done the right thing and are now stuck in this BS...can only look at it as experience. Bitching doesn't change shit action does. Fire the crap politicians and praise the good ones.
I am sure all the utility workers are doing their best...there was just so much destruction . People have to see that the government isn't able to help each person individually...wake up help your selves!PREPARE.
my2centsworth

Canada
11/12/2012 02:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
No Red Tape? Non-Union FEMA Crews, Water and Other Supplies Sit Idle Thanks To Unions & Red Tape

It’s been two weeks since Hurricane Sandy killed 113 people, wiped out portions of towns, and knocked out power to millions. It has also been two weeks since Barack Obama pledged, “No bureaucracy. No red tape.”

However, according to multiple public and private sources, unions and union-related red tape are causing workers from out of state to be turned back, as well as workers contracted by FEMA, as well as tons of supplies, already in New York and New Jersey to sit idle—at a cost of millions to taxpayers.

ochange

So the Feds held up their end of the bargain, sent supplies and help.. and it's being stopped at the State, County, or Municipal Level? ... By Unions?

Who the hell runs this country? Unions?

Those who are pissed about the lack of resources being deployed need to find out who to direct their anger at.. and then go after them with a vengeance.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23558931
United States
11/12/2012 02:27 PM
Report Abusive Post

Read More:

[link to cryptogon.com]

and MR PREZ re elected is out playing GOLF !
RTS REDUX

United States
11/12/2012 02:28 PM
Report Abusive Post

ochange

So the Feds held up their end of the bargain, sent supplies and help.. and it's being stopped at the State, County, or Municipal Level? ... By Unions?

Those who are pissed about the lack of resources being deployed need to find out who to direct their anger at.. and then go after them with a vengeance.

yup..seems that way

more from the article..

(snip)

While there are about 4,000 National Guardsmen at Bennett Field, there are hundreds of out-of-state contractors for FEMA, many of them linemen and electricians, that are not being deployed to help turn power pack on for residents because of the red tape.

On Sunday, out of the 400-500 workers available, according to the source, only three crews went out. Crews, he said, are usually two-man teams.

The union crews, the source stated, are free to come and go as they please, yet the non-union FEMA contractors are being held back because of red tape requirements.

The red-tape bottleneck, he said, comes from the Corps of Engineers. They get work orders in (places that need help), but the work orders don’t come out as they should.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” the source said over the weekend.

On Sunday night, FEMA contractors put in one generator for a 14-floor building. Just one.

On top of that, there are tons of supplies in trailers, as well as rows and rows of water that are not being delivered.
my2centsworth

Canada
11/12/2012 02:37 PM
Report Abusive Post

ochange

yup..seems that way

more from the article..

(snip)

While there are about 4,000 National Guardsmen at Bennett Field, there are hundreds of out-of-state contractors for FEMA, many of them linemen and electricians, that are not being deployed to help turn power pack on for residents because of the red tape.

On Sunday, out of the 400-500 workers available, according to the source, only three crews went out. Crews, he said, are usually two-man teams.

The union crews, the source stated, are free to come and go as they please, yet the non-union FEMA contractors are being held back because of red tape requirements.

The red-tape bottleneck, he said, comes from the Corps of Engineers. They get work orders in (places that need help), but the work orders don’t come out as they should.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” the source said over the weekend.

On Sunday night, FEMA contractors put in one generator for a 14-floor building. Just one.

On top of that, there are tons of supplies in trailers, as well as rows and rows of water that are not being delivered.

So the "core of engineers" is the reason for the hold up?

Is it because they have to be sure the places are safe to be hooked up before they can send a crew? Because hooking up a water soaked electrical system would be nothing but trouble and potential death to those in the building.
If that is the case.. most electric lineman are able to check the safety status of buildings .. in a case like this where there are so many buildings without power.. they should allow the lineman to inspect before hooking up.. if there are questions once they've inspected, then call in the "core of engineers" for a look.

Who does the "core of engineers" take their orders from? Do you know? And why in heavens name would they stop the supplies and water from being delivered?

GLP