Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,399 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 243,280
Pageviews Today: 392,158Threads Today: 151Posts Today: 2,591
04:13 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation

Laura Bow
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 1158661
United States
11/15/2012 09:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation
President Obama's election victory ensured his Affordable Care Act would remain the centerpiece of his first term in power - but that has left some business owners baulking at the extra cost Obamcare will bring.

Florida based restaurant boss John Metz, who runs approximately 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise has decided to offset that by adding a five percent surcharge to customers' bills and will reduce his employees' hours.

With Obamacare due to be fully implemented in January 2014, Metz has justified his move by claiming it is 'the only alternative. I've got to pass on the cost to the customer.'

The fast-food business owner is set to hold meetings at his restaurants in December where he will tell employees, 'that because of Obamacare, we are going to be cutting front-of-the-house employees to under 30 hours, effective immediately.'

More at [link to www.dailymail.co.uk]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13158115
United States
11/15/2012 09:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation
Gotta pay it somehow!! Or shut down!!! These are the options we have
Real list

User ID: 26712548
United States
11/15/2012 09:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation
Employees are getting a raise in the form of a benefit, so reduce your tips.
Laura Bow  (OP)

United States
11/15/2012 09:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Real list

You made a good point there...
indiandave

User ID: 27213312
United States
11/15/2012 09:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm self employed. I pay a lot for insurance. I just hope I can still afford it in 2013. There is no free lunch.
BRIEF

User ID: 381742
United States
11/15/2012 09:49 AM

Report Abusive Post
I'll just reduce my 15% tip to 10% and offset the Obama surcharge ;)

:Barackside566478:

Last Edited by BRIEF on 11/15/2012 09:50 AM
I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24433009
United States
11/15/2012 09:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
sorry, but I see an 'obama surcharge' added onto the base cost of menu items, it's like hotel resort fees. I get fuckin pissed. Deceptive businesses who advertise a certain price and basically charge more because they can.
Laura Bow  (OP)

United States
11/15/2012 09:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'll just reduce my 15% tip to 10% and offset the Obama surcharge ;)

:Barackside566478:
 Quoting: BRIEF

lol That pic is funny! Reminds me of this cartoon...

Real list

United States
11/15/2012 09:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
It's an excuse to raise prices.
If you cut hours under 30, then you don't pay insurance.

They are worse than pappa johns.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7061022

That's fine for you as a customer...not so fine if you are the employee having their hours cut.

Better he than me... that is a big part of what is wrong with our society today. Selfishness straight up.
Real list

United States
11/15/2012 10:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
sorry, but I see an 'obama surcharge' added onto the base cost of menu items, it's like hotel resort fees. I get fuckin pissed. Deceptive businesses who advertise a certain price and basically charge more because they can.
 Quoting: Cult of Personality

Ummm, Denny's is announcing the price increase. Give your patronage to business who pass the extra cost to their employees.
Renegade (Me too)

User ID: 24639180
United States
11/15/2012 10:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
President Obama's election victory ensured his Affordable Care Act would remain the centerpiece of his first term in power - but that has left some business owners baulking at the extra cost Obamcare will bring.

Florida based restaurant boss John Metz, who runs approximately 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise has decided to offset that by adding a five percent surcharge to customers' bills and will reduce his employees' hours.

With Obamacare due to be fully implemented in January 2014, Metz has justified his move by claiming it is 'the only alternative. I've got to pass on the cost to the customer.'

The fast-food business owner is set to hold meetings at his restaurants in December where he will tell employees, 'that because of Obamacare, we are going to be cutting front-of-the-house employees to under 30 hours, effective immediately.'

More at [link to www.dailymail.co.uk]
 Quoting: Laura Bow

So we pay for it twice ... income taxes, and now sales taxes. What until our insurance premiums go up. Then we will be paying 3 times for Obamacare.

i knew the middle class was going to foot the bill.
Who is John Galt?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2871355
United States
11/15/2012 10:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
People who eat at Denny's need A LOT of healthcare.
Carshy McCarsh

User ID: 27799883
United States
11/15/2012 10:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
Gotta pay it somehow!! Or shut down!!! These are the options we have
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13158115

I hope every bill specifically says "Obamacare surcharge:"
Tell me what this tastes like...
Carshy McCarsh

User ID: 27799883
United States
11/15/2012 10:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm self employed. I pay a lot for insurance. I just hope I can still afford it in 2013. There is no free lunch.
 Quoting: indiandave

Shrug.
Tell me what this tastes like...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1513486
United States
11/15/2012 10:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
in the bill there was a surchare[tax] of 5% to be levied on all tranactions
Real list

United States
11/15/2012 10:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Jimmy John Liautuad, owner of sandwich chain Jimmy John’s, told Fox Business the other day that the cost of Obamacare’s health insurance mandate could tack an extra 50 cents on the price of a sandwich.

In order to survive, Jimmy John figures he’s going to have to reduce much of his staff to part-time workers to avoid paying the exhorbitant fines Obamacare will impose starting next year–by the President’s design, after the election.

If you have 40 or 50 employees at a restaurant, and the penalty is $2,000, and you’re going to pay $80,000 or $100,000 penalty, there goes the profit in your restaurant [link to fosterfriess.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1440282
United States
11/15/2012 10:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
But but but...we had to pass Obummercare so we could read it....Looks like businessmen read it and now do what they must.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25148952
United States
11/15/2012 10:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Since he is cutting his employees to under 30 hours he will not be required to pay the added benefits to his employees so there is NO JUSTIFICATION for him to charge a surcharge. He is just doing so as a retribution tool.

The only thing that will happen is people will STOP going to Dennys because it will be overpriced for what you get.
Doomamatrix

User ID: 2984682
United States
11/15/2012 10:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
A lot of Denny's customer base loves dear leader so I'm sure they won't mind.
Obamacare: Never has so much been taken away from so many for so few.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 10:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
This will hurt the poor people the most, and they are the main ones that voted for Obama anyway.
Laura Bow  (OP)

United States
11/15/2012 10:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Since he is cutting his employees to under 30 hours he will not be required to pay the added benefits to his employees so there is NO JUSTIFICATION for him to charge a surcharge. He is just doing so as a retribution tool.

The only thing that will happen is people will STOP going to Dennys because it will be overpriced for what you get.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25148952

It doesn't say he's cutting all of his employees to 30 hours though, just front-of-house.
Fred
User ID: 26677941
United States
11/15/2012 10:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Cult of Personality

Same nonsense after San Francisco did the same thing. If you need to charge more, charge more. Guess what eventually the restaurants dropped the charge and simply put it in the prices.

I don't have any problem paying 5% more for a meal so the staff can have health care. Do have the problem with multi millionaires throwing a hissy fit about it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24433009
United States
11/15/2012 10:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
it's pretty simple really. If you are really going to charge a person $65 to stay at a hotel, you advertise $65. You don't advertise $50 and then add on a $15 resort fee.

If you are going to charge $2.15 for a burger, you put that price on the menu, you don't charge $2.00 and add an "obama surcharge" on the bill.

From now on I walk out on all establishments without paying that advertise one price while charging another.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 10:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
Prices will go up everywhere no doubt about it.

The problem is that people will have even less to spend so patronize restaurants even less than before. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip people.

I think there will be a big shake out of restaurants; about 40% will go out of business.

The only ones that will survive will offer outstanding service and quality for the money. Customers will be stingy with their money as they have less and less of it and will say goodbye to brand loyalty and spending frivolously.

Truly, the only reason that restaurants are doing the business that they are now in this economy is that most of the 20 something age range generation do not know how to cook.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24207739
United States
11/15/2012 10:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
It sounds like a good solution for Obamacare outrageous costs.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 10:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
I can see a new trend in the future with the younger generation getting excited about learning to cook from scratch like their grandparents did.
DJDOG

User ID: 21344862
United States
Report Abusive Post

You are an idiot.
Real list

United States
Report Abusive Post
Speaking of O-care, get ready to be amazed.

In 2014 a family of four with income of $90,000 (yes, $90,000) the estamated insurance premium is $16,850. The subsidy in the form of a tax credit for that insurance cost is $8308, or 49%.

There is a calculator here [link to healthreform.kff.org]

In what reality can the government pay half or over half of the insurance cost for 90% of the population? All the wealth of the top 10% couldn't pay this bill for more than a very short time.

National suicide, voluntary suicide by authorization of Barak Obama

Last Edited by Real list on 11/15/2012 10:30 AM
Vast Deferens

User ID: 17509594
United States
11/15/2012 10:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
It's a good thing places like Denny's and Papa John's have a base market of well-off Republicans who will pay extra to support this.

If their markets were lower income Obama supporters they might lose customers.

/sarcasm
Hosea 2:2 Plead with your mother, plead: for she is not my wife, neither am I her husband: let her therefore put away her whoredoms out of her sight, and her adulteries from between her breasts; 2:3 Lest I strip her naked, and set her as in the day that she was born, and make her as a wilderness, and set her like a dry land, and slay her with thirst.
In-Situ

User ID: 1332385
United States
11/15/2012 10:30 AM
Report Abusive Post

That's fine for you as a customer...not so fine if you are the employee having their hours cut.

Better he than me... that is a big part of what is wrong with our society today. Selfishness straight up.

How can giving more than the actual price of a meal out of "gratuity" be classified as selfishness in any way shape or form? If you give a penny more than the listed price, it is still a gratuity. Albeit a shitty one.

I'm not advocating being a lousy tipper, but perhaps a 15% flat gratuity should be included in every restaurant price. Everyone is satisfied, and no more surprises when the bill comes.
In-Situ
Real list

United States
11/15/2012 10:32 AM
Report Abusive Post

How can giving more than the actual price of a meal out of "gratuity" be classified as selfishness in any way shape or form? If you give a penny more than the listed price, it is still a gratuity. Albeit a shitty one.

I'm not advocating being a lousy tipper, but perhaps a 15% flat gratuity should be included in every restaurant price. Everyone is satisfied, and no more surprises when the bill comes.
 Quoting: In-Situ

Can you even read?

The selfish part is choosing for the employees to take the hit in the form of reduction in hours to part time status rather than increasing the prices.

GLP