Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,186 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 411,456
Pageviews Today: 684,900Threads Today: 250Posts Today: 4,302
09:10 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation

Real list

User ID: 26712548
United States
11/15/2012 10:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation
Employees are getting a raise in the form of a benefit, so reduce your tips.
 Quoting: Real list

You are an idiot.
 Quoting: DJDOG

Thanks for your opinion of my mental capability.

Evidently you are more of an idiot since you offer nothing to the discussion.
SewDucky

User ID: 23684754
United States
11/15/2012 10:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation
Front of the house is the server, hostess and cashier (which at Denny's typically is the server). So the people that usually make 2.13 an hour, unless they live somewhere like Washington, and have to rely on the tips are screwed. Patrons are going to cut their tips further AND they get less hours.

I worked at Denny's for several years, as a waitress. The restaurant was corporate, and was shut down (effectively ending my employment) because of illegal immigrants working.

So basically, the servers are making a pittance, and every price increase hits the tip which means you get worse and worse service, because no one in their right mind wants to deal with you for tips that don't meet the Federal requirement of 8% while the cooks get the hours and what little benefits their are.
Mr. Toppit

User ID: 26466623
United States
11/15/2012 10:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ny property taxes capped at 2% rise a year but .... they can't pay the pensions ha ha so tax rate rises to 5-6-7% who knows.

County run skilled nursing facility cost up so its either close it immediately or raise the sales tax 1-2%

Sales tax already at 8%.

Food up.

Gas up

Obamacare 5% on top of everything.

Sorry I won't have employees or be eating out or shopping, movies, vacation, driving. The Obama depression will be the new normal....1933 deja vu.
Real list

United States
11/15/2012 10:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Front of the house is the server, hostess and cashier (which at Denny's typically is the server). So the people that usually make 2.13 an hour, unless they live somewhere like Washington, and have to rely on the tips are screwed. Patrons are going to cut their tips further AND they get less hours.

I worked at Denny's for several years, as a waitress. The restaurant was corporate, and was shut down (effectively ending my employment) because of illegal immigrants working.

So basically, the servers are making a pittance, and every price increase hits the tip which means you get worse and worse service, because no one in their right mind wants to deal with you for tips that don't meet the Federal requirement of 8% while the cooks get the hours and what little benefits their are.
 Quoting: SewDucky

Every price increase should not affect tips, but a pay package increase should affect tips. They WERE making $2.13, now they are making $3.13 plus the cost of insurance premiums.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27806138
United Arab Emirates
11/15/2012 11:11 AM
Report Abusive Post

Benefit? Just wait you jackass you will see there is no benefit.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 628775
Canada
11/15/2012 11:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
Don't they already pay their employees next to nothing?

Corporate cheap asses.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9253046
United States
11/15/2012 11:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just one more reason to boycott Denny's, which I have been doing for years because of their past discrimination to dark-skinned customers.

I hope their employees quit en masse (after locating other jobs, of course).
BOYCOTT ASSHOLES
User ID: 27720836
United States
11/15/2012 11:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
President Obama's election victory ensured his Affordable Care Act would remain the centerpiece of his first term in power - but that has left some business owners baulking at the extra cost Obamcare will bring.

Florida based restaurant boss John Metz, who runs approximately 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise has decided to offset that by adding a five percent surcharge to customers' bills and will reduce his employees' hours.

With Obamacare due to be fully implemented in January 2014, Metz has justified his move by claiming it is 'the only alternative. I've got to pass on the cost to the customer.'

The fast-food business owner is set to hold meetings at his restaurants in December where he will tell employees, 'that because of Obamacare, we are going to be cutting front-of-the-house employees to under 30 hours, effective immediately.'

More at [link to www.dailymail.co.uk]
 Quoting: Laura Bow

THANKS ANOTHER DIRTBAG TO BOYCOTT .
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 11:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
This is a pointless question, I know, but when will restaurants eliminate the "assumed tipping" practice altogether?

Restaurants should pay waitpersons at least the minimum wage, with customers still being permitted to tip if they feel the service is above average.
Mr. Toppit

User ID: 26466623
United States
11/15/2012 11:21 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27806138

Only to the Demorat corporations which were exempted as concessions to the unions and politics.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26318431
United States
11/15/2012 11:25 AM
Report Abusive Post

This right here. Any place that makes me pay more for my food, it comes right out of the tip. Might as well be like Barry and "Spread the pain eerrr I mean Wealth around"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22478672
United States
11/15/2012 11:29 AM
Report Abusive Post

Corporate cheap asses.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 628775

How much should they pay unskilled, uneducated workers?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27780411
United States
11/15/2012 11:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
As an aside .. consider new businesses and how they'll have to raise extra capital or not even bother starting up because of this bull.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 11:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
This is a pointless question, I know, but when will restaurants eliminate the "assumed tipping" practice altogether?

Restaurants should pay waitpersons at least the minimum wage, with customers still being permitted to tip if they feel the service is above average.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9253046

Tips are not for above average service they are an expected part of a transaction. How many times have you paid for something before and asked if you would like to add a tip before you even recieve the service?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27804511
United States
11/15/2012 11:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Almost every site I go to is anti Obama, and I go to conservative, liberal, and libertarian sites. How the fuck did this piece of shit get re-elected? Oh yeah, those pesky puppet masters!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27795701
United States
11/15/2012 11:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
President Obama's election victory ensured his Affordable Care Act would remain the centerpiece of his first term in power - but that has left some business owners baulking at the extra cost Obamcare will bring.

Florida based restaurant boss John Metz, who runs approximately 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise has decided to offset that by adding a five percent surcharge to customers' bills and will reduce his employees' hours.

With Obamacare due to be fully implemented in January 2014, Metz has justified his move by claiming it is 'the only alternative. I've got to pass on the cost to the customer.'

The fast-food business owner is set to hold meetings at his restaurants in December where he will tell employees, 'that because of Obamacare, we are going to be cutting front-of-the-house employees to under 30 hours, effective immediately.'

More at [link to www.dailymail.co.uk]

Who pays Metz' health care?
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 11:54 AM
Report Abusive Post

Corporate cheap asses.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22478672

I know waitresses and waiters that have collrge educations you fool. What they fdon't have is the "connections" to get a decent job quickly.

Good ol' boy system .
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 11:57 AM
Report Abusive Post

Corporate cheap asses.

I know waitresses and waiters that have collrge educations you fool. What they fdon't have is the "connections" to get a decent job quickly.

Good ol' boy system .
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27795701

I'm the fool? But i am not the one who is working at denny's when i have a college degree. Best place to get connections is a resume and going out looking for a job not sitting around waiting for someone to hand you one.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 11:59 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9253046

Tips are not for above average service they are an expected part of a transaction. How many times have you paid for something before and asked if you would like to add a tip before you even recieve the service?

My point is that I think it is wrong that tips are "automatically" expected. I think that if restaurants would add 15% to their prices and pay their staff a livable wage, that both the restaurant owners AND the employees would come out ahead. (I could be wrong as I have never been in the restaurant business in any capacity; however, we do eat out an average of once a week. I personally would rather pay more upfront and NOT tip at all unless I have received above average service. JMO.)
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 11:59 AM
Report Abusive Post

Corporate cheap asses.

Good ol' boy system .

I'm the fool? But i am not the one who is working at denny's when i have a college degree. Best place to get connections is a resume and going out looking for a job not sitting around waiting for someone to hand you one.

You really are an idiot .
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 12:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

Good ol' boy system .

You really are an idiot .

please eplain why.
no-one-special

User ID: 9481624
United States
11/15/2012 12:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
sorry, but I see an 'obama surcharge' added onto the base cost of menu items, it's like hotel resort fees. I get fuckin pissed. Deceptive businesses who advertise a certain price and basically charge more because they can.
 Quoting: Cult of Personality

Ummm, Denny's is announcing the price increase. Give your patronage to business who pass the extra cost to their employees.

That is going to be hard to do. In 48 states foos servers make $2.13 an hour...The owner can not pass the cost on to them, there is no money in the checks...after taxes are taken out, most food servers take home check is about $50 a week....
EuroTrader

User ID: 11454515
United States
11/15/2012 12:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah, this is what the owner suggested. Pass it on to the workers. The only problem is they get like $2.50 an hour and have to make it up in tips. So one or both will happen:

1. People will stop going to his restaurants where they're being gouged.

2. His waiters and waitresses will quit and go elsewhere ASAP.

Either way, the market will correct this pretty quickly.

You made a good point there...
no-one-special

User ID: 9481624
United States
11/15/2012 12:05 PM
Report Abusive Post

Corporate cheap asses.

You are a fool....most servers are working there way through college...I have worked with a server who is in law school and works part time at a senaters office....
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 12:09 PM
Report Abusive Post

Corporate cheap asses.

You are a fool....most servers are working there way through college...I have worked with a server who is in law school and works part time at a senaters office....
 Quoting: no-one-special

still working a job that requires no skills at all. if a 16 year old can do it, it requires no skills. why should they pay you anymore just because you can't find a job that you are educated for. It is not thier fault and not thier problem.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 12:10 PM
Report Abusive Post

Corporate cheap asses.

Where are your facts to back up this assumption?
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 12:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Janitors, clerks and waiters with college degrees

[link to www.cbsnews.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2012 12:11 PM
Report Abusive Post

Corporate cheap asses.

Anyone who has been to college knows this. The others are living on trust funds.
Real list

United States
11/15/2012 12:14 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27806138

Thanks for the name calling. Show your intelligence.

Health care insurance is a benefit. It is part of an employee's pay package. If those employees were not getting health insurance and now they are, the value of their total pay package increased.

By the way, jackasses are pretty smart animals, smarter than you I'd guess.
Real list

United States
11/15/2012 12:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
sorry, but I see an 'obama surcharge' added onto the base cost of menu items, it's like hotel resort fees. I get fuckin pissed. Deceptive businesses who advertise a certain price and basically charge more because they can.
 Quoting: Cult of Personality

Ummm, Denny's is announcing the price increase. Give your patronage to business who pass the extra cost to their employees.

That is going to be hard to do. In 48 states foos servers make $2.13 an hour...The owner can not pass the cost on to them, there is no money in the checks...after taxes are taken out, most food servers take home check is about $50 a week....

Are you really that dense, or is this some sort of joke?

The extra cost would be passed on to employees in the form of fewer hours.

The choice was, either increase prices to make up for health insurance costs or cut employess to part time status (under 28 hours per week) to avoid the health insurance mandate.

This sub thread began with someone saying that Denny's should cut employees hours. Employees would suffer, right? The other option, higher prices the customer suffers. Right? Anyone who says cut their hours so I woun't have to pay more is selfish.

GLP