Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,228 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 947,318
Pageviews Today: 1,579,546Threads Today: 642Posts Today: 11,340
03:52 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation

Real list

User ID: 26712548
United States
11/15/2012 12:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation
Yeah, this is what the owner suggested. Pass it on to the workers. The only problem is they get like $2.50 an hour and have to make it up in tips. So one or both will happen:

1. People will stop going to his restaurants where they're being gouged.

2. His waiters and waitresses will quit and go elsewhere ASAP.

Either way, the market will correct this pretty quickly.

Employees are getting a raise in the form of a benefit, so reduce your tips.
 Quoting: Real list

You made a good point there...
 Quoting: Laura Bow

Quoting: EuroTrader

You are right, the market will adjust. The main point here I think is that Obamacare is having negative effects and will be a drag on an already weak economy.
SewDucky

User ID: 23684754
United States
11/15/2012 12:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation
Every price increase should not affect tips, but a pay package increase should affect tips. They WERE making $2.13, now they are making $3.13 plus the cost of insurance premiums.

Not as of last year, at least in Texas, which was the last place I waited tables. I got a whopping 2.13 an hour and half priced food plus all the sodas and coffee I could drink.

As I said, depends on the state and where you are. Luckily, I did it because I actually like the job, and did it as a second one for fun.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24182468
United States
11/15/2012 12:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Could raise costs, might, may, would, bla,bla.
We won't be going to Denny's.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2780903
United States
11/15/2012 12:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
it's pretty simple really. If you are really going to charge a person $65 to stay at a hotel, you advertise $65. You don't advertise $50 and then add on a $15 resort fee.

If you are going to charge $2.15 for a burger, you put that price on the menu, you don't charge $2.00 and add an "obama surcharge" on the bill.

From now on I walk out on all establishments without paying that advertise one price while charging another.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24433009

All stores & hotels do that all the time.
Their advertised price do not include taxes or other fee's.....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1321115
United States
11/15/2012 12:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
President Obama's election victory ensured his Affordable Care Act would remain the centerpiece of his first term in power - but that has left some business owners baulking at the extra cost Obamcare will bring.

Florida based restaurant boss John Metz, who runs approximately 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise has decided to offset that by adding a five percent surcharge to customers' bills and will reduce his employees' hours.

With Obamacare due to be fully implemented in January 2014, Metz has justified his move by claiming it is 'the only alternative. I've got to pass on the cost to the customer.'

The fast-food business owner is set to hold meetings at his restaurants in December where he will tell employees, 'that because of Obamacare, we are going to be cutting front-of-the-house employees to under 30 hours, effective immediately.'

More at [link to www.dailymail.co.uk]

And the customer can then choose not to eat at that establishment - it's that simple.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2780903
United States
11/15/2012 12:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Could raise costs, might, may, would, bla,bla.
We won't be going to Denny's.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24182468

unfortunately dennys is not the only place doing this. everyone will have to offset the cost. even mfg plants are making changes due to Obamacare. ours has already started cutting retirement and other benefits to offset cost
Real list

United States
11/15/2012 12:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Every price increase should not affect tips, but a pay package increase should affect tips. They WERE making $2.13, now they are making $3.13 plus the cost of insurance premiums.

Not as of last year, at least in Texas, which was the last place I waited tables. I got a whopping 2.13 an hour and half priced food plus all the sodas and coffee I could drink.

As I said, depends on the state and where you are. Luckily, I did it because I actually like the job, and did it as a second one for fun.
 Quoting: SewDucky

Ooops, my typo changed the whole post. I meant now making $2.13 plus insurance, not $3.13. Sorry.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27229787
United States
11/15/2012 12:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here's the REAL reason you need healthcare at Denny's...

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27795701
United States
11/15/2012 01:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
President Obama's election victory ensured his Affordable Care Act would remain the centerpiece of his first term in power - but that has left some business owners baulking at the extra cost Obamcare will bring.

Florida based restaurant boss John Metz, who runs approximately 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise has decided to offset that by adding a five percent surcharge to customers' bills and will reduce his employees' hours.

With Obamacare due to be fully implemented in January 2014, Metz has justified his move by claiming it is 'the only alternative. I've got to pass on the cost to the customer.'

The fast-food business owner is set to hold meetings at his restaurants in December where he will tell employees, 'that because of Obamacare, we are going to be cutting front-of-the-house employees to under 30 hours, effective immediately.'

What an ass. All he is doing is pi$$ing on his staff.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27795701
United States
11/15/2012 01:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
AND ...Metzis he is going to limit all front-of-house employee hours so he doesn't have to provide employees with health care coverage.
So since he won't have to provide health care coverage that "surcharge" is pure profit in his pocket.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27812250
United States
11/15/2012 01:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
I wonder if Church's Chicken is going to add an obamatax?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9481624
United States
11/15/2012 01:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Don't they already pay their employees next to nothing?

Corporate cheap asses.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 628775

How much should they pay unskilled, uneducated workers?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22478672

You are a fool....most servers are working there way through college...I have worked with a server who is in law school and works part time at a senaters office....
 Quoting: no-one-special

still working a job that requires no skills at all. if a 16 year old can do it, it requires no skills. why should they pay you anymore just because you can't find a job that you are educated for. It is not thier fault and not thier problem.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22478672

See, you are a fool. If you have never done the job, how do you know what it requires? And I never said they should be paid more. Servers make there money from the customer. You give good service, you make money. If you don't, then you dot eat that day. Very simple.
What I said is most servers are working there way through college. You know what college is dont you? School, takes years to complete it, not a wham-bam-thank you mam event. Have you ever heard of working your way through it? Not everyone wants enormous debt for there education.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26067218
United States
11/15/2012 01:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
sorry, but I see an 'obama surcharge' added onto the base cost of menu items, it's like hotel resort fees. I get fuckin pissed. Deceptive businesses who advertise a certain price and basically charge more because they can.
 Quoting: Cult of Personality

Same nonsense after San Francisco did the same thing. If you need to charge more, charge more. Guess what eventually the restaurants dropped the charge and simply put it in the prices.

I don't have any problem paying 5% more for a meal so the staff can have health care. Do have the problem with multi millionaires throwing a hissy fit about it.
 Quoting: Fred 26677941

I don't have health "care" and I'll be damned if I'll pay for it for anyone else. Only idiots voted for obama and romney, and they'll pay.

Fuck them.

BTW, denny's "food" is crap. So they won't be losing business from me - I'd never eat there again if unless I had to.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14216032
United States
11/15/2012 01:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Since he is cutting his employees to under 30 hours he will not be required to pay the added benefits to his employees so there is NO JUSTIFICATION for him to charge a surcharge. He is just doing so as a retribution tool.

The only thing that will happen is people will STOP going to Dennys because it will be overpriced for what you get.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25148952

Denny's is nationwide. As long as their business is open, they will have thousands of employees. As long as their business is open--sigh!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26067218
United States
11/15/2012 01:51 PM
Report Abusive Post

And the customer can then choose not to eat at that establishment - it's that simple.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1321115

They should have held their stupid meetings in October - before the "election". Now it really doesn't matter.
thatfoodiscrap
User ID: 26130179
Canada
11/15/2012 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
I worked at dennys before
oh dennys, most people who work there don't get good wages - get shit for tips (come'on its dennys lol) and thus can't afford health insurance on their own -- it's a travesty - I'm not sure about the details and maybe other former employees have different opinion.

D cutting hours does not show obamacare does not work - it shows that the private sector will cut YOUR hours if it means holding onto THEIR PROFITS!!

HAVING people uninsured is a big big problem in this country, it cost a lot of money to hospitals when people can't pay their massive bills and thus increases the cost of hospital care for people with insurance - its a cruel cycle that would end very badly - obamacare is not ideal but it is a step in changing healthcare in USA. Medical care should be for everyone - like education - like using the post office -
LIKE if your house is on FIRE you know you can call the fire department - EVERYONE can. :)
hearts
Real list

United States
11/15/2012 02:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
oh dennys, most people who work there don't get good wages - get shit for tips (come'on its dennys lol) and thus can't afford health insurance on their own -- it's a travesty - I'm not sure about the details and maybe other former employees have different opinion.

D cutting hours does not show obamacare does not work - it shows that the private sector will cut YOUR hours if it means holding onto THEIR PROFITS!!

HAVING people uninsured is a big big problem in this country, it cost a lot of money to hospitals when people can't pay their massive bills and thus increases the cost of hospital care for people with insurance - its a cruel cycle that would end very badly - obamacare is not ideal but it is a step in changing healthcare in USA. Medical care should be for everyone - like education - like using the post office -
LIKE if your house is on FIRE you know you can call the fire department - EVERYONE can. :)
hearts
 Quoting: thatfoodiscrap 26130179

Homeowners pay property tax to fund fire departments. Property tax, state and federal tax for education. Post office ??? you pay for stamps and taxes cover the PO losses.

My point? We will pay higher tax for Obamacare. So when you say everyone should have coverage, fine, but someone is paying for it.

Remember, if one person get something he does not earn, someone else erans something he does not get.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27531391
United States
11/15/2012 07:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
DENNY'S EMPLOYEES DESERVE COMBAT PAY!! YOU GO TO WORK EVERY DAY WITH THE CHANCE YOU MIGHT GET CLOCKED BY A FLYING CHAIR!!!

YOU THINK THESE FOLKS ARE GOOD TIPPERS??

Here's the REAL reason you need healthcare at Denny's...

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27229787
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24425839
United States
11/15/2012 08:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
People who are middle income or lower go out to eat on a budget. Lately, my decision is based on if I have coupons. Example I love Denny's, but IHop had good coupons.

People will cut back and go to place with good food and is reasonable on cost.

Example, PizzaHut offers $10 pizza any way you want.

I have no problem with these places raising their prices. They do what they have to do to make a profit. However, I have a budget, and if I can find good food cheaper at another place, then that's where I will go.

More people will start doing the take out to avoid the cost of drink and tip. Yes, it's that bad out there.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25023241
United States
11/15/2012 08:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Liberals have sold a lot of isms...
MuayThai

User ID: 27834972
Philippines
11/15/2012 08:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
sorry, but I see an 'obama surcharge' added onto the base cost of menu items, it's like hotel resort fees. I get fuckin pissed. Deceptive businesses who advertise a certain price and basically charge more because they can.
 Quoting: Cult of Personality

Las Vegas hotels are guilty of this. Some of them charge almost $13 just to have in room internet and call it a "resort fee". What a load of shit !

Last Edited by MuayThai on 11/15/2012 08:32 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25773843
United States
11/15/2012 08:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Employees are getting a raise in the form of a benefit, so reduce your tips.

You made a good point there...

Really, both of you, do bother to READ the article at the link before popping off.

Dennys will be charging customers a 5% surcharge AND reducing employee hours to below the 30 which would require him to provide health care.

Fortunately, I never eat at Dennys.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26578366
United States
11/15/2012 08:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's an excuse to raise prices.
If you cut hours under 30, then you don't pay insurance.

They are worse than pappa johns.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7061022

That's fine for you as a customer...not so fine if you are the employee having their hours cut.

Better he than me... that is a big part of what is wrong with our society today. Selfishness straight up.

OK then demand they raise prices and go there and buy stuff so the workers can get their health care. Or just buy something and pay more than the bill, Mr. Generosity.
thatfoodiscrap
User ID: 26130179
Canada
11/16/2012 02:38 AM
Report Abusive Post

hearts

Homeowners pay property tax to fund fire departments. Property tax, state and federal tax for education. Post office ??? you pay for stamps and taxes cover the PO losses.

My point? We will pay higher tax for Obamacare. So when you say everyone should have coverage, fine, but someone is paying for it.

Remember, if one person get something he does not earn, someone else erans something he does not get.

By the way, I live in Canada and here we do have state run insurance and YES we do pay it with taxes - and let me tell you that there is a strong middle class here, high taxes for a higher quality of life. no pun intended
Real list

User ID: 1134286
United States
11/16/2012 08:46 AM
Report Abusive Post

hearts

By the way, I live in Canada and here we do have state run insurance and YES we do pay it with taxes - and let me tell you that there is a strong middle class here, high taxes for a higher quality of life. no pun intended

Canadians and other peoples come to the US to avoid waits, to get timely treatment. But then again, Americans go to India and other places to avoid high costs.

No system is perfect.

The point I was making is, nothing is free, especially health care. Something can only be 'free' to one person costs another person. The point is for those who think everybody gets health care and that system has no cost.
Real list

User ID: 1134286
United States
11/16/2012 08:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
It's an excuse to raise prices.
If you cut hours under 30, then you don't pay insurance.

They are worse than pappa johns.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7061022

That's fine for you as a customer...not so fine if you are the employee having their hours cut.

Better he than me... that is a big part of what is wrong with our society today. Selfishness straight up.

OK then demand they raise prices and go there and buy stuff so the workers can get their health care. Or just buy something and pay more than the bill, Mr. Generosity.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26578366

I would not have to choose between higher prices and employee cuts if not for Obamacare. The Mr ans Mrs generosity are those who voted the liberal back into office ending all chance of stopping O-care and all the misery that it brings. No, I am not generous, not enough to pay for other folks health care.

I am selfish enough to want my freedom back

Last Edited by Real list on 11/16/2012 08:52 AM

GLP