Modern Life Is Making Humans Dumber, Says Stanford University Study

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27811313
Finland
11/15/2012 01:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Modern Life Is Making Humans Dumber, Says Stanford University Study
Modern society clearly has its benefits – hot showers, supermarkets, transport infrastructures and so forth.

But research suggests that all this convenience and organisation is actually harming our intellectual and emotional abilities.

According to a Stanford University study, the genes that give us brain power are particularly susceptible to mutations that lower intelligence.

The problem is that the structure of modern society means that humans generally still survive, even with these mutations present.

For instance, thousands of years ago, if humans couldn’t figure out a way of surviving in cold weather, they died and the smarter humans that could, survived.

In other words, there was selective pressure acting on the genes required for intellectual development.

These days we don't need to be clever to survive, because we have modern society with all its amenities and support to keep us going.

“The development of our intellectual abilities and the optimisation of thousands of intelligence genes probably occurred in relatively non-verbal, dispersed groups of peoples before our ancestors emerged from Africa,” said the study’s author, Dr Gerald Crabtree.

Dr Crabtree estimates that humans peaked intellectually at around 4000 BC and that within 3000 years (about 120 generations) we have all sustained two or more mutations harmful to our intellectual or emotional stability.

However, there’s no need to worry, because we’ve been smart enough to advance our scientific understanding of genes to the extent that we’re bound to figure out how to eradicate the mutations.

“I think we will know each of the millions of human mutations that can compromise our intellectual function and how each of these mutations interact with each other and other processes as well as environmental influences,” said Dr Crabtree. “At that time, we may be able to magically correct any mutation that has occurred in all cells of any organism at any developmental stage. Thus, the brutish process of natural selection will be unnecessary.”

[link to www.huffingtonpost.co.uk]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1266452
Canada
11/15/2012 01:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Modern Life Is Making Humans Dumber, Says Stanford University Study
GEE....YA THINK!?

I wonder how much money they spent to figure out living in a society where TV controls all free time is detrimental to our intelligence.

Probably over $1million.

So, wasting money to find something obvious - fucking dumb if you ask me.

Case and point
Anonymous Coward
Canada
11/15/2012 01:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Survival of the fittest turned into easiest survival to those born from elite families.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26912620
United States
11/15/2012 01:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
This isn't a modern society...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25765737
Netherlands
11/15/2012 01:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
True I dont now how to make fire whitout our modern fire making tools.

I need to try to do that.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10372663
United States
11/15/2012 01:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
fucking dumb if you ask me.

Case and point
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1266452

Yes you are!!!

4,000BC was the height lets see when was the television invented? MMMMM Maybe that didn't do it?

If you know why the decline started in 4,000bc why don't you tell the people researching it THEN we could save some money.

Until you know you're just making yourself prove the point that we are getting dumber.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
11/15/2012 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
fucking dumb if you ask me.

Case and point
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1266452

Yes you are!!!

4,000BC was the height lets see when was the television invented? MMMMM Maybe that didn't do it?

If you know why the decline started in 4,000bc why don't you tell the people researching it THEN we could save some money.

Until you know you're just making yourself prove the point that we are getting dumber.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10372663

Wow, you totally misunderstood my point.

Yes, 4,000 years ago we fell asleep.
These are just repeating patterns.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1464956
United States
11/15/2012 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
The worst part of this study is that they probably received a government grant and the taxpayers had to foot the bill for these "intellectuals" to tell us the fucking obvious.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12046133
Argentina
11/15/2012 02:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Dr Crabtree speaking of mutations? Sorry, couldn't resist myself
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 27811313
Finland
11/15/2012 02:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
When Scandinavia was a rural region, in 1800s and until about 1950s-1960s, people were pretty intelligent and we had high moral standards.

After we got "modern life", with urbanisation, capitalism etc. our genetic quality began to get weaker.

GLP