Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,601 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 292,920
Pageviews Today: 477,243Threads Today: 157Posts Today: 2,719
06:50 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

First time gun buyer/owner - suggestions??

amywood71605
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 27746314
United States
11/16/2012 11:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
First time gun buyer/owner - suggestions??
I posted this in a response on another thread, but want to get as many answers as possible......

Over the last year-ish I've been trying to work on preparing - canned foods, toilet paper, diapers and wipes, water, OTC meds like Tylenol, cold/flu meds, etc, food for my pets, stashing some cash away, but a gun was not something I really thought about, but now I am. If SHTF badly - I want to be able to protect my family - and protect our stuff from thieves who weren't so prepared. I'll leave shooting it to hubby though, haha unless I have to of course.

Serious question - what would anyone recommend for us?? Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns. I'd like something that can protect us, and something that we can use to hunt should that be necessary. Suggestions welcome - I'm totally seriously thinking about buying one. Money doesn't matter too much - I'll spend to have something good, but at the same time do not want to spend a ridiculously high amount either.....
"Live each day like it's your last, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching."

GO PATS!!
:Go Patriots!:
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27903882
United States
11/16/2012 11:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: First time gun buyer/owner - suggestions??
Glock 17
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/16/2012 11:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Glock 17
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27903882

got a link/pic of it? Thanks! hf
"Live each day like it's your last, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching."

GO PATS!!
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/16/2012 11:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Glock 17
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27903882

got a link/pic of it? Thanks! hf
 Quoting: amywood71605

never mind - this it?

[link to www.glock.com]

looks ok, but is that good for hunting too?

GO PATS!!
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/16/2012 11:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Shameless Bump

I really have no clue where to start looking.....

GO PATS!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27903974
United States
11/16/2012 11:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
a remington 870 12 gauge shotgun is perfect for home defense, and hunting, and a good one can be had new for less than $400 decked out and ready to go.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15978584
United States
11/16/2012 11:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Don't tell anyone you have or are getting a gun.
AwakenedDude

User ID: 27650887
United States
11/16/2012 11:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
I posted this in a response on another thread, but want to get as many answers as possible......

Over the last year-ish I've been trying to work on preparing - canned foods, toilet paper, diapers and wipes, water, OTC meds like Tylenol, cold/flu meds, etc, food for my pets, stashing some cash away, but a gun was not something I really thought about, but now I am. If SHTF badly - I want to be able to protect my family - and protect our stuff from thieves who weren't so prepared. I'll leave shooting it to hubby though, haha unless I have to of course.

Serious question - what would anyone recommend for us?? Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns. I'd like something that can protect us, and something that we can use to hunt should that be necessary. Suggestions welcome - I'm totally seriously thinking about buying one. Money doesn't matter too much - I'll spend to have something good, but at the same time do not want to spend a ridiculously high amount either.....

I'd take your same questions to a reputable gun dealer. You will also get to try them out (at least unloaded). It's not a one size fits all kind of thing.

Peace.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1880593
United States
11/16/2012 11:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
ak 47 no doubt. you'll pay about the same for a glock anyway. an ak is much more bang for your buck, best weapon for shtf or any defensive or combat/military situation, extremely rugged and reliable
No More Lies

User ID: 1707881
United States
11/16/2012 11:36 PM

Report Abusive Post
Well...there's different guns for different situations. A gun for protecting the house, a gun for protecting land or wider range, a gun for hunting small game, one for large game, etc. And among all these, a particular gun would be better for one person than another.

But for starters, i would focus more on home protection. You can't go wrong with a 9mm...females usually don't have a problem shooting this, and it is more than suffice. You can't go wrong with a Glock as mentioned above. Or you could go with a 12 gauge shotgun and use different rounds for different situations...shotguns are more versatile in that sense.

Last Edited by PANIK on 11/16/2012 11:37 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27855972
Canada
11/16/2012 11:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Buy a double action revolver. A .38 special. There are no safties to forget to click off, no slides to forget to rack. You pull the trigger and it goes bang, every time. No jams, no surprise discharges that take your kids' head off, far fewer accidents.

Revolvers are much easier, safer and more reliable for a beginner such as yourself.
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/16/2012 11:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
a remington 870 12 gauge shotgun is perfect for home defense, and hunting, and a good one can be had new for less than $400 decked out and ready to go.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27903974

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

This? I have to say - I like that looks of that more as far as hunting. Even though I dont hunt, my dad does every year and all the guns I've seen him use look more like this.

GO PATS!!
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
Report Abusive Post
Don't tell anyone you have or are getting a gun.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15978584

Got it hf

GO PATS!!
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
Report Abusive Post

I'd take your same questions to a reputable gun dealer. You will also get to try them out (at least unloaded). It's not a one size fits all kind of thing.

Peace.
 Quoting: AwakenedDude

Good point. Any other questions I should ask?

GO PATS!!
No More Lies

United States

Report Abusive Post
ak 47 no doubt. you'll pay about the same for a glock anyway. an ak is much more bang for your buck, best weapon for shtf or any defensive or combat/military situation, extremely rugged and reliable
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1880593

Can NEVER go wrong with an AK. I'm a big fan of this model:

[link to centerfiresystems.com]
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/16/2012 11:39 PM
Report Abusive Post

[link to en.wikipedia.org] this right?

Again, like the looks of this for hunting more then the first one. =)

GO PATS!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2679163
United States
11/16/2012 11:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Your first one should be a revolver, preferably .357 as you can also fire .38's out of it. The reason for the revolver over the glock is because you can always keep it loaded and it should always work. A magazine has a spring that wears out if it is always loaded so you have to switch magazines every month or so to stop them from going bad. A semi-auto pistol would be great for a second gun or if you are adding more guns although after the revolver I would look at a shotgun.
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/16/2012 11:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well...there's different guns for different situations. A gun for protecting the house, a gun for protecting land or wider range, a gun for hunting small game, one for large game, etc. And among all these, a particular gun would be better for one person than another.

But for starters, i would focus more on home protection. You can't go wrong with a 9mm...females usually don't have a problem shooting this, and it is more than suffice. You can't go wrong with a Glock as mentioned above. Or you could go with a 12 gauge shotgun and use different rounds for different situations...shotguns are more versatile in that sense.
 Quoting: No More Lies

Thank you. I thought of that too - that different guns would probably be better in different situations. But, given that me and hubby are TOTAL newbies, I just want to start with one and get comfortable with that first.

GO PATS!!
Travis Bickle
Vigilantes need love too....

User ID: 26788702
United States
11/16/2012 11:40 PM

Report Abusive Post
As answered in your other post....

I recommend something that is EASY to clean, Works FLAWLESSLY and does no require much training.... Which is a:

Handgun: REVOLVER (Self Defense)
Long gun: BOLT ACTION RIFLE (Hunting / Self Defense)
Defense gun: PUMP ACTION SHOTGUN (Self Defense / Hunting)

All of which can be picked up at your local Big-5 or gun store.

The reason is that I recommend this combo is that you indicated "Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns."

Many semi-autos require quite a bit of training to use Effectively. They can jam, develop feed problems, or simply fail you when the time has come, and without training , it will be hard for you to over-come that failure.

In addition, the above listed guns usually come in a very popular caliber, which makes it easier to obtain ammo when ammo is in short supply.

I can go on and on... If you want more info, PM me.

Last Edited by Travis Bickle on 11/16/2012 11:41 PM
One of these days... A *REAL* rain is gonna come and wash all this scum off the streets.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2679163
United States
11/16/2012 11:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Go to Buds Gun Shop.com and just look around. Their deals are great
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/16/2012 11:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks hf

GO PATS!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1880593
United States
11/16/2012 11:42 PM
Report Abusive Post

thats a nice one, good price too. i paid 600 for my polish underfolder. yugos are good. ive even seen wasr's go for close to that price these days, prices are only going up for ak's
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23011194
United States
11/16/2012 11:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
don't buy a 380. minimum size would be a 9mm. M&P is what I'd buy...
TTX8K82

User ID: 26400095
United States
11/16/2012 11:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
good start is a shotgun - this site is good:

[link to www.cheaperthandirt.com]
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/16/2012 11:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
As answered in your other post....

I recommend something that is EASY to clean, Works FLAWLESSLY and does no require much training.... Which is a:

Handgun: REVOLVER (Self Defense)
Long gun: BOLT ACTION RIFLE (Hunting / Self Defense)
Defense gun: PUMP ACTION SHOTGUN (Self Defense / Hunting)

All of which can be picked up at your local Big-5 or gun store.

The reason is that I recommend this combo is that you indicated "Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns."

Many semi-autos require quite a bit of training to use Effectively. They can jam, develop feed problems, or simply fail you when the time has come, and without training , it will be hard for you to over-come that failure.

In addition, the above listed guns usually come in a very popular caliber, which makes it easier to obtain ammo when ammo is in short supply.

I can go on and on... If you want more info, PM me.
 Quoting: Travis Bickle

Thank you!! And yes, we have pretty much ZERO experience with gun, so ease of use is important as well. I'll def. PM you if I have more questions as I search/go through this =)

GO PATS!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11354573
United States
11/16/2012 11:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
If you have no experience with a weapon then I would suggest a shotgun. They are easy to maintain, ammo is cheap and plentiful, plus you dont have to be a good shot to hit what you aim at.
I would go with a 12 gauge pump, brand isnt all that important.

I know someone suggested a Glock. Pistols are great, but the drawback I see in your situation is lack of experience.
If you arent proficient with a pistol, dont expect to hit anything farther away than 15 feet.
As for hunting...It is possible to hunt with a pistol. But, again, if you cant hit what you aim at then what good is it.

Unless you are related to Wyatt Earp, you arent going to just pick up a pistol and hit anything, especially a moving target.
It takes practice, lots of range time and dedication to become proficient with a pistol.

A shotgun on the other hand is much more forgiving. Aim in the general direction, and you are pretty much guaranteed to hit what you aim at.

No matter what you decide on. Find someone who is well versed in firearms. Learn was much as you can from them, how to maintain the weapon, break it down and clean it, the proper way to shoot the weapon, and above all how to be safe with it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15865434
United States
Report Abusive Post
The Glock 17 is a fantastic choice.

But... Might I recommend the Glock 19.

Why?

The Glock 19 is chambered in 9mm, which is one of the most plentiful calibers in the world. (The same holds true for the Glock 17)

The Glock 19 is smaller, and more easily concealed. This would come in handy in a SHTF scenario or in everyday life.

If you get a semiauto pistol, it needs to be a Glock. If you get a Glock, it needs to be 9mm. 9mm is a capable round, there is ample supply, and it's cheap. The more you practice, the more capable you will be if and when you need to use your firearm in self defense.
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
Report Abusive Post
Go to Buds Gun Shop.com and just look around. Their deals are great
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2679163

Thank you. But, after reading the response from the person that talked about going into a gun shop - i think id rather buy it in person so I can "feel" the guns out, if that makes sense. But I appreciate it! hf

GO PATS!!
No More Lies

United States
11/16/2012 11:45 PM

Report Abusive Post
Mossberg 590A1 w/ speed feed, mesa side saddle, ontario bayonet(certainly optional but looks bad ass)

mossberg
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15242038
United States
11/16/2012 11:46 PM
Report Abusive Post

AMY,

Do not use a pistol, rifle for home defense. That is one thing I can tell you for sure.

I've been around weapons my whole life, and I would recommend a shotgun. Nothing too tactical, but something with a rail on top (for a sight)

The reason you shouldn't use pistol/rifle in the house is simple, those bullets will pierce through walls, and possibly create collateral damage.

Back to the shotgun. I would recommend a Mossberg, or Benelli. Auto is good, but pump action is a classic.

There are many types of ammunition for a shotgun-

Salt
Slug
Magnum
Birdshot
Buckshot
etc...

as for hunting, you want a secondary for this(you don't want to litter your dinner with bullets...)

The KEL-TEC SU-16 is a good choice, because it can store magazines in the buttstock, is foldable, and easy to handle for a novice, and extremely accurate for a veteran.

I hope this helps.

Love,

Another Concerned American.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17095177
United States
11/16/2012 11:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Go with the 870 shotgun. The ak is great to have for allot of situations , home def not really one of them. The 7.62 will travel through walls etc , then you have to worry about killing your neighbor or kids in other rooms etc.

GLP