Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,162 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,523,716
Pageviews Today: 2,532,189Threads Today: 1,017Posts Today: 18,014
11:34 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

First time gun buyer/owner - suggestions??

Roobit

User ID: 27674954
United States
11/16/2012 11:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: First time gun buyer/owner - suggestions??
I shoot every weekend, I'd second the glock 17 and the remington 870. Bith are very reliable. The glock is a 9mm which wont break the bank when going to the range to practice.

The 870 in 12ga is an excellent defensive weapon with the right ammo.

In the end you need to be comfortable with the weapons for them to be of any use
The Abyss stares back...

Glp ping pong champ...
Travis Bickle
Vigilantes need love too....

User ID: 26788702
United States
11/16/2012 11:48 PM

Report Abusive Post
ak 47 no doubt. you'll pay about the same for a glock anyway. an ak is much more bang for your buck, best weapon for shtf or any defensive or combat/military situation, extremely rugged and reliable
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1880593

Can NEVER go wrong with an AK. I'm a big fan of this model:

[link to centerfiresystems.com]
 Quoting: No More Lies

thats a nice one, good price too. i paid 600 for my polish underfolder. yugos are good. ive even seen wasr's go for close to that price these days, prices are only going up for ak's
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1880593

It's true... The AK Series has a HELLUVA reputation... But, Unless you have spare mags that have been tested (Not some Russian / Polish / African BULLSHIT you picked up from cheaper than dirt dot com or "Shooters") You're bound to run into problems!

When teaching "non-shooters" I always steer them to bolt action, "pump-action" or "lever-action" shooters. They have an extremely low failure rate and a very easy learning curve.
One of these days... A *REAL* rain is gonna come and wash all this scum off the streets.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15865434
United States
11/16/2012 11:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Runner-up after the G19 is a Smith and Wesson J-frame revolver, in the airweight series. Chambered in .38 special of course.

It's an all business, no-frills snub nose pistol.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27855691
United States
11/16/2012 11:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Go to Buds Gun Shop.com and just look around. Their deals are great
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2679163

BULL SHIT EXPENSIVE AS HELL, SELLING USED GUNS FOR FULL RETAIL AS NEW! SCAM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23011194
United States
11/16/2012 11:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Before making a decision hold both an M&P and a Glock and u decide which one feels better in the hand. Both are reliable.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1880593
United States
11/16/2012 11:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
something to keep in mind though is if you buy an ak, is if you are using it for home defense to be mindful of the power of the 7.62 39 round...it'll go straight through walls which can be a problem when you have other members of the family in your house. so it depends on what situation youre looking for. for shtf in general where you may have to move, you cant go wrong with an ak, purely for home defense get a glock or remington 870 but an ak will def work too just practice and keep its power in mind.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17095177
United States
Report Abusive Post
I wouldnt recommend pistol if they are untrained , probably miss the perp. Shotgun all the way.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23011194
United States
Report Abusive Post
I wouldnt recommend pistol if they are untrained , probably miss the perp. Shotgun all the way.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17095177

I'd buy both
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15242038
United States
11/16/2012 11:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
The Glock 17 is a fantastic choice.

But... Might I recommend the Glock 19.

Why?

The Glock 19 is chambered in 9mm, which is one of the most plentiful calibers in the world. (The same holds true for the Glock 17)

The Glock 19 is smaller, and more easily concealed. This would come in handy in a SHTF scenario or in everyday life.

If you get a semiauto pistol, it needs to be a Glock. If you get a Glock, it needs to be 9mm. 9mm is a capable round, there is ample supply, and it's cheap. The more you practice, the more capable you will be if and when you need to use your firearm in self defense.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15865434

I would beg to differ. There are many other better choices than a Glock. Polymer is great, But people have had problems with them.

here are top five

USP .40 compact- Great accuracy, concealment, and a double spring slide, making it handle like a smaller caliber handgun

P99 9mm- Tried and true, easily maintainable, like you say, 9mm is always available, cost friendly, and if you buy the right round, still has enough stopping power

SIG 229 .357 Compact- One shot, one kill. Stopping power to the max, compact for easy concealment. A good choice for someone who prefers kick, and a lot of it.

1911 .45 ACP- for obvious reasons. This has been issued in service for a very long time. Kimber makes an EXCELLENT line of 1911 for EVERY shooting enthusiast. I'd recommend the pro tactical, as it has a built in laser sight, is durable, the grips can be used in all weather (without slippage) and is a great round.

Beretta M9- still issued to law enforcement, military. This holds a good amount of rounds in it, is easily discharged in consecutive bursts, without losing accuracy. this is also mass produced, so magazines are in abundance and cheap.
SPUD

Report Abusive Post
Handgun: REVOLVER (Self Defense)
Long gun: BOLT ACTION RIFLE (Hunting / Self Defense)
Defense gun: PUMP ACTION SHOTGUN (Self Defense / Hunting)

Quoting: Travis Bickle

what he said
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

United States

Report Abusive Post
As answered in your other post....

I recommend something that is EASY to clean, Works FLAWLESSLY and does no require much training.... Which is a:

All of which can be picked up at your local Big-5 or gun store.

The reason is that I recommend this combo is that you indicated "Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns."

Many semi-autos require quite a bit of training to use Effectively. They can jam, develop feed problems, or simply fail you when the time has come, and without training , it will be hard for you to over-come that failure.

In addition, the above listed guns usually come in a very popular caliber, which makes it easier to obtain ammo when ammo is in short supply.

I can go on and on... If you want more info, PM me.

Thank you!! And yes, we have pretty much ZERO experience with gun, so ease of use is important as well. I'll def. PM you if I have more questions as I search/go through this =)
 Quoting: amywood71605

Look... You're going to get a TON of "specific gun" recommendations.

The reality is that you need to find the weapon that feels right with YOU and YOUR HUSBAND, and work from there.

If you want, BUY a Semi-auto. My only caveat is that you practice with it. (And I don't mean, go to the range and shoot a paper plate or something) LEARN how the weapon fails, and what to do when it fails. LEARN what the pro's tell you is the fault with the weapon and practice over-coming that fault. That's all...

The only reason I recommended the weapons I did was that they have the LEAST amount of faults and are very reliable.

I own Glocks, Berretas Various 1911's, Sigs, Smiths and even a Colt. Each one is different. Each one has it's pros and cons.

In long guns I own Piston driven / Gas driven semi's, Bolt actions and pumps.

I have trained with them for my whole life. The reality is... In a pinch, I have my favorites.

Last Edited by Travis Bickle on 11/16/2012 11:57 PM
One of these days... A *REAL* rain is gonna come and wash all this scum off the streets.
AwakenedDude

User ID: 27914236
United States
11/16/2012 11:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
I posted this in a response on another thread, but want to get as many answers as possible......

Over the last year-ish I've been trying to work on preparing - canned foods, toilet paper, diapers and wipes, water, OTC meds like Tylenol, cold/flu meds, etc, food for my pets, stashing some cash away, but a gun was not something I really thought about, but now I am. If SHTF badly - I want to be able to protect my family - and protect our stuff from thieves who weren't so prepared. I'll leave shooting it to hubby though, haha unless I have to of course.

Serious question - what would anyone recommend for us?? Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns. I'd like something that can protect us, and something that we can use to hunt should that be necessary. Suggestions welcome - I'm totally seriously thinking about buying one. Money doesn't matter too much - I'll spend to have something good, but at the same time do not want to spend a ridiculously high amount either.....

I'd take your same questions to a reputable gun dealer. You will also get to try them out (at least unloaded). It's not a one size fits all kind of thing.

Peace.

Good point. Any other questions I should ask?
 Quoting: AwakenedDude

Any thing you want to know, they will be able to answer. They may even have free lessons on how to use it.

Peace.

Last Edited by Still Raging on 11/16/2012 11:56 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27893232
Australia
Report Abusive Post
blunderbus or muskatoon
No More Lies

User ID: 1707881
United States

Report Abusive Post
You might get different opinions from different people, but everyone here who knows anything about guns will all agree on one thing: practice, practice, practice. become very familiar with whatever gun(s) you choose, so that when you NEED to use them, it's instinct.
Kirk

User ID: 25384388
United States
11/16/2012 11:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well...there's different guns for different situations. A gun for protecting the house, a gun for protecting land or wider range, a gun for hunting small game, one for large game, etc. And among all these, a particular gun would be better for one person than another.

But for starters, i would focus more on home protection. You can't go wrong with a 9mm...females usually don't have a problem shooting this, and it is more than suffice. You can't go wrong with a Glock as mentioned above. Or you could go with a 12 gauge shotgun and use different rounds for different situations...shotguns are more versatile in that sense.

Thank you. I thought of that too - that different guns would probably be better in different situations. But, given that me and hubby are TOTAL newbies, I just want to start with one and get comfortable with that first.

only gun you will shoot much is a 22 rimfire because it is affordable. Great for tapping rabbits or squirrels, killing snakes, varmints in general. Ruger makes a great one, the 10-22
Government is a body largely ungoverned.
Roobit

User ID: 27674954
United States
11/16/2012 11:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17095177

I'd buy both
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23011194

I agree. No one here is telling them to buy it then just let it sit. You have to practice, practice, practice. Other thing, saw some people recommending the Mossberg 590. Make sure you can operate the pump without feeling like you have to reach too far. 870 is easier for smaller people.
The Abyss stares back...

Glp ping pong champ...
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/16/2012 11:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
As answered in your other post....

I recommend something that is EASY to clean, Works FLAWLESSLY and does no require much training.... Which is a:

All of which can be picked up at your local Big-5 or gun store.

The reason is that I recommend this combo is that you indicated "Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns."

Many semi-autos require quite a bit of training to use Effectively. They can jam, develop feed problems, or simply fail you when the time has come, and without training , it will be hard for you to over-come that failure.

In addition, the above listed guns usually come in a very popular caliber, which makes it easier to obtain ammo when ammo is in short supply.

I can go on and on... If you want more info, PM me.

I'd agree with this post as well.

The reasoning for a revolver is it's low failure rate, and you can shoot it in just about any condition without problems!
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/16/2012 11:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
You might get different opinions from different people, but everyone here who knows anything about guns will all agree on one thing: practice, practice, practice. become very familiar with whatever gun(s) you choose, so that when you NEED to use them, it's instinct.

hf
amywood71605  (OP)

User ID: 27746314
United States
11/16/2012 11:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
I posted this in a response on another thread, but want to get as many answers as possible......

Over the last year-ish I've been trying to work on preparing - canned foods, toilet paper, diapers and wipes, water, OTC meds like Tylenol, cold/flu meds, etc, food for my pets, stashing some cash away, but a gun was not something I really thought about, but now I am. If SHTF badly - I want to be able to protect my family - and protect our stuff from thieves who weren't so prepared. I'll leave shooting it to hubby though, haha unless I have to of course.

Serious question - what would anyone recommend for us?? Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns. I'd like something that can protect us, and something that we can use to hunt should that be necessary. Suggestions welcome - I'm totally seriously thinking about buying one. Money doesn't matter too much - I'll spend to have something good, but at the same time do not want to spend a ridiculously high amount either.....

I'd take your same questions to a reputable gun dealer. You will also get to try them out (at least unloaded). It's not a one size fits all kind of thing.

Peace.

Good point. Any other questions I should ask?

Any thing you want to know, they will be able to answer. They may even have free lessons on how to use it.

Peace.

Now that would be a HUGE plus!
"Live each day like it's your last, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching."

GO PATS!!
:Go Patriots!:
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/17/2012 12:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you all VERY much for the responses. Now I have some info to get me going.

I gave green karma to those of you who answered that I could, thanks again! hf hf hf
"Live each day like it's your last, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching."

GO PATS!!
Travis Bickle
Vigilantes need love too....

United States
11/17/2012 12:04 AM

Report Abusive Post

Very, VERY true... Karma up for you!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26296693
United States
11/17/2012 12:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
amt.30 long slide
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/17/2012 12:07 AM
Report Abusive Post

Very, VERY true... Karma up for you!

Yes, that is a very good point, and I def. plan to practice once we decided on and buy one =)

GO PATS!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27340364
United States
11/17/2012 12:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
Amy, don't listen to most of these assclowns. They didn't even qualify you, where you live (in a rural or urban area), your stature and whether you've ever shot a gun before or not.

First... Some women can handle any gun a man can and some cannot. This isn't sexist, it's pure logic and dynamics of body weight and upper body strength. So if you're a bull dyke and have extra testosterone, a bigger gun won't be an issue. My wife for instance, she's a dead-on shot and she can handle up to a .45 hand gun and just killed it with an Ak-47 out on the range last week. However, she didn't care for the 12-gauge shotgun or .30-06 rifle because of the kick with both.

Second... What is your living situation and area to defend in? If you are in tight quarters, apartment, etc., a 20-gauge shotgun will work just fine. In fact, just the clacking of it will give whoever is breaking in second thoughts to stick around for the BOOM that follows. Chamber it with #2 or #3 buckshot and you'll do some serious defense and damage.

Third... Read what this guy has to say... He's smarter than most people I've spoken with and if you follow the links at the bottom of this link, you'll find just about all the information you'll ever want on guns. [link to www.chuckhawks.com]

Lastly (my two cents)... Guns are subjective to a great many factors. My perfect combination might not be your own, but it doesn't mean it's wrong.

We have a Remington 870 20 gauge (although I would have went with a Mossberg 500 or Beretta Xtrema II (Watch this clip and you'll understand why). Beretta CX4 Storm (.40 S&W), Beretta 96FS (.40 S&W), ATI GSG 522 (.22 LR), SIG P226 (9mm), Judge 410 (.45/.410 shotgun style shells) and I load hollow point in most of them because of the stopping power PLUS hollow point won't go through people and keep on going (like hitting someone else behind them. I went with .40 S&W on two of them because I anticipate there being plenty of it to pick up off of dead bodies in the apocalypse.

That's it... Good luck in your decision.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26296693
United States
11/17/2012 12:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
that was a joke ,get a pump 12 gauge ,no trigger time u cant miss.to bad oo value packs are gone.youll pay $9 for five lol
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/17/2012 12:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well, good thing - I just googled "gun shops in VT" (I live in VT), and got plenty of results =) Maybe this weekend I'll get my mom to watch our 3 boys and me and hubby will go check one out. Thanks again everyone!

GO PATS!!
Anonymous Coward
United States
Report Abusive Post
PS - Since the time it took me to write and post, there have been some excellent replies.

Travis knows what he's talking about. Some of the others have watched too many Steven Seagal movies, lol.
Anonymous Coward
United States
Report Abusive Post
VT? You're in gun paradise (and an open carry state I believe?) Which part? Vermont is my home away from home.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/17/2012 12:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
PPS - I live in NJ and close quarters to many people, therefore, there are no long rifles appropriate to my situation here. The CX4 Storm carbine serves that purpose.
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/17/2012 12:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Amy, don't listen to most of these assclowns. They didn't even qualify you, where you live (in a rural or urban area), your stature and whether you've ever shot a gun before or not.

First... Some women can handle any gun a man can and some cannot. This isn't sexist, it's pure logic and dynamics of body weight and upper body strength. So if you're a bull dyke and have extra testosterone, a bigger gun won't be an issue. My wife for instance, she's a dead-on shot and she can handle up to a .45 hand gun and just killed it with an Ak-47 out on the range last week. However, she didn't care for the 12-gauge shotgun or .30-06 rifle because of the kick with both.

Second... What is your living situation and area to defend in? If you are in tight quarters, apartment, etc., a 20-gauge shotgun will work just fine. In fact, just the clacking of it will give whoever is breaking in second thoughts to stick around for the BOOM that follows. Chamber it with #2 or #3 buckshot and you'll do some serious defense and damage.

Third... Read what this guy has to say... He's smarter than most people I've spoken with and if you follow the links at the bottom of this link, you'll find just about all the information you'll ever want on guns. [link to www.chuckhawks.com]

Lastly (my two cents)... Guns are subjective to a great many factors. My perfect combination might not be your own, but it doesn't mean it's wrong.

We have a Remington 870 20 gauge (although I would have went with a Mossberg 500 or Beretta Xtrema II (Watch this clip and you'll understand why). Beretta CX4 Storm (.40 S&W), Beretta 96FS (.40 S&W), ATI GSG 522 (.22 LR), SIG P226 (9mm), Judge 410 (.45/.410 shotgun style shells) and I load hollow point in most of them because of the stopping power PLUS hollow point won't go through people and keep on going (like hitting someone else behind them. I went with .40 S&W on two of them because I anticipate there being plenty of it to pick up off of dead bodies in the apocalypse.

That's it... Good luck in your decision.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27340364

I'm 5'4, 118 pounds. We live just on the edge of town, but it's a pretty small town we live in, and we're fairly close to the Canadian border. We currently live in a single-wide trailer - decent lot of land. Neighbors to our right are very nice - older couple who spoil my kids, and the next house over is actually 3 monks that live together - they're always doing neat stuff - like walking around to find certain plants and stuff to make their own medicines, and they are also very nice.

Neighbors to the left? Its like night and day - to our left is a run-down apartment complex of about 6-7 apartments - it's pretty much all welfare bums - and no I do not think everyone on welfare is a "bum" - when I use that term I mean the losers who pop out kid after kid to get more, who don't work or try to find work, etc......there is one over there, a kid actually, 14 years old - the little punk actually crawled through our bathroom window one night and tried to steal my son's Nintendo DS that was on the nightstand by my side of the bed....of course we woke up and my husband probably would have killed him if I didn't calm him down. That kid hasn't come around since, I think hubby scared him but wtf? Come in while we're sleeping - and try to steal something by my head?!?! That incident scared me, even though it was just a kid.....So yes, I do worry about my neighbors in that building - they're low lives who have the whole "I'm entitled" attitude, not good!

GO PATS!!

GLP