Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,825 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 334,603
Pageviews Today: 528,037Threads Today: 172Posts Today: 2,605
06:40 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

First time gun buyer/owner - suggestions??

amywood71605  (OP)

User ID: 27746314
United States
11/17/2012 12:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: First time gun buyer/owner - suggestions??
VT? You're in gun paradise (and an open carry state I believe?) Which part? Vermont is my home away from home.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27340364

haha yes, I know it's probably weird to hear of a Vermonter who doesn't hunt or have experience with guns =)

I'm in Northern VT, pretty close to the Canadian border, about an hour or so north of Burlington. love this state hf
"Live each day like it's your last, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching."

GO PATS!!
:Go Patriots!:
mikebo2

User ID: 18012248
United States
11/17/2012 12:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
I suggest 3

1 hand gun (38 or 9mm) (easiest to find ammo for.)
1 Shotgun 12 gauge (home defense)
1 rifle (Something you can hunt with).
WAKEUPAMERICA01

User ID: 25795289
United States
Report Abusive Post
start with a .22 long bolt action rifle and or a single shot .410 shotgun and .22 long ruger pistol any model for begineers. You have to learn the basics first before you can shoot a larger caliber. I learned on a old trainer single shot .22 army rifle and a new england .410 as a young kid. Practice practice practice get some help or training if needed. My current loadout is a mossberg 835 pump, taurus 9mm millenium pro carry and S&W 5.56 ORC carbine these are my main weapons of choice. My wife carry's a .38 ultralight for carry but can use any of our guns for defense.
WAKE UP AMERICA
"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 1, December 19, 1776
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it."

Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 4, September 11, 1777
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a monied aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power (of money) should be taken away from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs." -- Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President.
"A majority of the people of the United States have lived all of their lives under emergency rule. For 40 years, [79 years now in 2012] freedoms and governmental procedures guaranteed by the Constitution have in varying degrees been abridged by laws brought into force by statutes of national emergency."
User Name
User ID: 22494985
United States
Report Abusive Post
Self defense yes a shot gun! SHTF weapon an A/R! No matter what you choose, be sure to fire it as much as possible. Being comfortable with your weapon is very important. You don't usually have time time to stutter when your life is on the line. If and when possible use the democratic voting philosophy; (vote) buy early and often:)
Whiskey Brother
User ID: 11702187
United States
11/17/2012 12:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
a remington 870 12 gauge shotgun is perfect for home defense, and hunting, and a good one can be had new for less than $400 decked out and ready to go.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27903974

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

This? I have to say - I like that looks of that more as far as hunting. Even though I dont hunt, my dad does every year and all the guns I've seen him use look more like this.
 Quoting: amywood71605

For a first time gun owner looking for an all purpose firearm, this is what Iwould recomend as well. Don't get an aftermarket pistol grip stock, as they are easier to use with the "stock" stock set up. Use double ought buck for defense and small game. Use slugs, O buck to double OO buck for deer. (That's what "buck" means. for use on a male "buck"deer.) And for birds use #4 to #7 size shot. Shotguns are "pointed" not simmer. That's because you are putting out multiple projectiles in a pattern. The size of the pattern is determined by the choke. The choke is a removable and changeable cylinder in the tip of the barrel. The various size chokes are used for different circumstances. For example, if you were. after ducks you would use the full choke, to keep the pattern tight for longer ranges. If you were after quail you might use the Modified"choke that spreads the pattern out closer to you. You can google more info, but that should give you some idea of the verstility of a 12 gauge shotgun.
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/17/2012 12:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Amy, don't listen to most of these assclowns. They didn't even qualify you, where you live (in a rural or urban area), your stature and whether you've ever shot a gun before or not.

First... Some women can handle any gun a man can and some cannot. This isn't sexist, it's pure logic and dynamics of body weight and upper body strength. So if you're a bull dyke and have extra testosterone, a bigger gun won't be an issue. My wife for instance, she's a dead-on shot and she can handle up to a .45 hand gun and just killed it with an Ak-47 out on the range last week. However, she didn't care for the 12-gauge shotgun or .30-06 rifle because of the kick with both.

Second... What is your living situation and area to defend in? If you are in tight quarters, apartment, etc., a 20-gauge shotgun will work just fine. In fact, just the clacking of it will give whoever is breaking in second thoughts to stick around for the BOOM that follows. Chamber it with #2 or #3 buckshot and you'll do some serious defense and damage.

Third... Read what this guy has to say... He's smarter than most people I've spoken with and if you follow the links at the bottom of this link, you'll find just about all the information you'll ever want on guns. [link to www.chuckhawks.com]

Lastly (my two cents)... Guns are subjective to a great many factors. My perfect combination might not be your own, but it doesn't mean it's wrong.

We have a Remington 870 20 gauge (although I would have went with a Mossberg 500 or Beretta Xtrema II (Watch this clip and you'll understand why). Beretta CX4 Storm (.40 S&W), Beretta 96FS (.40 S&W), ATI GSG 522 (.22 LR), SIG P226 (9mm), Judge 410 (.45/.410 shotgun style shells) and I load hollow point in most of them because of the stopping power PLUS hollow point won't go through people and keep on going (like hitting someone else behind them. I went with .40 S&W on two of them because I anticipate there being plenty of it to pick up off of dead bodies in the apocalypse.

That's it... Good luck in your decision.

I'm 5'4, 118 pounds. We live just on the edge of town, but it's a pretty small town we live in, and we're fairly close to the Canadian border. We currently live in a single-wide trailer - decent lot of land. Neighbors to our right are very nice - older couple who spoil my kids, and the next house over is actually 3 monks that live together - they're always doing neat stuff - like walking around to find certain plants and stuff to make their own medicines, and they are also very nice.

Neighbors to the left? Its like night and day - to our left is a run-down apartment complex of about 6-7 apartments - it's pretty much all welfare bums - and no I do not think everyone on welfare is a "bum" - when I use that term I mean the losers who pop out kid after kid to get more, who don't work or try to find work, etc......there is one over there, a kid actually, 14 years old - the little punk actually crawled through our bathroom window one night and tried to steal my son's Nintendo DS that was on the nightstand by my side of the bed....of course we woke up and my husband probably would have killed him if I didn't calm him down. That kid hasn't come around since, I think hubby scared him but wtf? Come in while we're sleeping - and try to steal something by my head?!?! That incident scared me, even though it was just a kid.....So yes, I do worry about my neighbors in that building - they're low lives who have the whole "I'm entitled" attitude, not good!

Ooops, forgot something - I said where we live now, but....we're working on something else, need something bigger. My husband's boss (who is also our landlord) owns a lot of land (farmer), and has talked about either putting in a brand new double up a bit from us - up on the hill more and selling it (this guy does this fairly often - flips a decent profit each time). Since we've been talking about buying anyway, my husband has been discussing with him the possibility of buying it when he does it - and this guy does "rent to own" with all of his workers who want to buy. He said that it should be in/all done in a few months or so, and that once it is we can look at it, and if we like it, go from there. If we did that - we'd be further away from the scumbags - actually would have no neighbors visible from our place. I'm 90% sure this will happen, unless something happens with him putting this double wide in up there.
"Live each day like it's your last, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching."

GO PATS!!
Liquid_Pestilence

User ID: 27914002
United States
11/17/2012 12:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
For all you new gun people. This is the first three guns you should by in order.
12 gauge pump. Excellent at home protection and hunting. Easy to shoot and hit what your shooting at with little to no training.

Next is the ruger 10/22. There cheap and so is the ammo. You can stockpile thousands of rounds in a shoebox. Excellent home defense and hunting. Every American should own one.

Then after your accustom to shooting you can pick up a nice handgun. There are hundreds to choose from in many sizes and shapes.
"Fear paints pictures of ghosts and hangs them in the gallery of ignorance." Robert Green Ingersoll
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/17/2012 12:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
well I'm out of karma for the day, so if I get more replies, I'll give you green when I get refilled =) Seriously, I appreciate the advice and help!

GO PATS!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17442284
United States
11/17/2012 12:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Xd9 Springfield

Also, go to front sight firearms training
SPUD

11/17/2012 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Can't you just see her shooting a 12 gauge? Her first shot she would probably be done, wouldn't touch a gun again for several years at best.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"
United States
Report Abusive Post
So are you close to the Shrine of St. Ann? It's beautiful up there and we often take the motorcycle up that way. :)

I have many good friends and family up in Hinnesburg and Shelburne and know of a couple of good gun shops around that way as well as Essex Junction.

Good luck in your purchase. Looks like you're getting some better advice in here now.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24046300
United States
Report Abusive Post
Glock 17
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27903882

What is it with you Glocktards?
OP wants a weapon for hunting as well as defense. slaphim

Get a shotgun OP
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/17/2012 12:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
So are you close to the Shrine of St. Ann? It's beautiful up there and we often take the motorcycle up that way. :)

I have many good friends and family up in Hinnesburg and Shelburne and know of a couple of good gun shops around that way as well as Essex Junction.

Good luck in your purchase. Looks like you're getting some better advice in here now.

Is Isle La Mott? About 45 minutes or so away and yes that place is beautiful!!

GO PATS!!
amywood71605  (OP)

United States
11/17/2012 12:35 AM
Report Abusive Post

Is Isle La Mott? About 45 minutes or so away and yes that place is beautiful!!

Oh and my hubby grew up in the Bristol/Hinesburg/Middlebury area - love that area too! Before we had kids we used to spend all day at this also swimming hole place near Hinesburg, then go to see the fireworks in Hinesburg for July 4th - hands down the BEST fireworks displays I've ever seen!

GO PATS!!
No More Lies

User ID: 1707881
United States
11/17/2012 12:37 AM

Report Abusive Post
Glock 17
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27903882

What is it with you Glocktards?
OP wants a weapon for hunting as well as defense. slaphim

Get a shotgun OP
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24046300

wait...you've never hunted with a glock 17?

chuckle
Liquid_Pestilence

User ID: 27914002
United States
11/17/2012 12:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Can't you just see her shooting a 12 gauge? Her first shot she would probably be done, wouldn't touch a gun again for several years at best.
 Quoting: SPUD

I didn't see her size till after the post but a 20
Gauge will work fine and still offer all the bennies of a shotgun and a first time gun owner. Still 12 gauges are more common and more versatile. She would only need one round to stop a bad guy anyway, it don't kick that hard.

Or just Get a 22 rifle, no kick and cheap to practice with.
"Fear paints pictures of ghosts and hangs them in the gallery of ignorance." Robert Green Ingersoll
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27916500
United States
11/17/2012 12:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
practic often and buy lots of ammo
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7817543
United States
11/17/2012 12:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
I posted this in a response on another thread, but want to get as many answers as possible......

Over the last year-ish I've been trying to work on preparing - canned foods, toilet paper, diapers and wipes, water, OTC meds like Tylenol, cold/flu meds, etc, food for my pets, stashing some cash away, but a gun was not something I really thought about, but now I am. If SHTF badly - I want to be able to protect my family - and protect our stuff from thieves who weren't so prepared. I'll leave shooting it to hubby though, haha unless I have to of course.

Serious question - what would anyone recommend for us?? Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns. I'd like something that can protect us, and something that we can use to hunt should that be necessary. Suggestions welcome - I'm totally seriously thinking about buying one. Money doesn't matter too much - I'll spend to have something good, but at the same time do not want to spend a ridiculously high amount either.....

A lot of the people who answered your thread are obviously idiots. I do not know how many guns you are willing to buy, but you mentioned that you want t a gun that you can protect yourself with, as well as hunt with, if necessary... right?

So if you are strictly buying ONE gun, and it must serve BOTH of these purposes, then listen carefully...

Go and get yourself a Mossberg 500 shotgun, the type that they sell with TWO barrels. One barrel (18.5 inch) for home defense, and one barrel (28 inch) for hunting with.

With this single weapon, you can serve BOTH purposes very well.

Now don't get me wrong, though. I believe in having MULTIPLE guns, each having a very specific purpose. But I am answering the question in your opening post, according to YOUR criteria.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1285930
United States
11/17/2012 12:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Get a pair of .22 rifles ruger or marlin

Cheap ammo
can use for hunting and defense
redundancy with the pair.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/17/2012 12:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
a remington 870 12 gauge shotgun is perfect for home defense, and hunting, and a good one can be had new for less than $400 decked out and ready to go.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27903974

Mossberg 500... Every bit as dependable, easier (and quicker) to load the shells, and can be had for less than $300 with TWO barrels, one for defense, and one for hunting.
SPUD

11/17/2012 12:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
My old lady had never shot a gun, so I took her out and loaded up a .357, she pulled the trigger once and didn't touch another gun for YEARS. She carries a .38 now, but i messed up that day, 25 years ago.
United States
11/17/2012 12:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
I like my 38 revolver but it only holds a few. So I really like the Glock 17 with lots of mags. Easy to hold...for arthritis.
I have a pump 20 with a selection of slugs and large buckshot so I won't have to aim well. My favorite.
Of course a 22 browning hand gun and browning 22 semi auto. The shells are cheaper and you can practice for less waste of the larger shells.
Be sure to get hollow points so any shots that take...well, they won't suffer as long... I like my 223 for longer range.

Bigger guns have more expensive ammo and are harder to handle. Something you can use fast and easy is the best choice. IMO
WAKEUPAMERICA01

User ID: 25795289
United States
11/17/2012 12:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
all semi autos are great once you have mastered the art of clearing jams feed issues and such. If you have never been around a gun start simple. Easy as easy does it. Home defense a shotgun in mossberg or remington 12 ga pump action. Just the sound is enough for anyone who has heard one. .38 or 9mm for yourself for carry. 9mm or .40 or .45 for your hubby. Take a defensive course and a CCW class. Again learn the basics. If you want a hunting rifle pick up a cheap savage .223 .243 .270 or something comparable. My fav bolt action is my 7mm it will take down any north american animal in one good shot. Again learn the basics, I cannot stress this enough. Any .22 is a great beginner pistol or rifle. Everyone in my family loves our 10/22 SS bull barrel and ruger .22/45 6" bull barrel very accurate and easy to operate but they know how to use em and how to shoot. Good luck and remember safe gun handling.
WAKE UP AMERICA
"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 1, December 19, 1776
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it."

Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 4, September 11, 1777
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a monied aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power (of money) should be taken away from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs." -- Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President.
"A majority of the people of the United States have lived all of their lives under emergency rule. For 40 years, [79 years now in 2012] freedoms and governmental procedures guaranteed by the Constitution have in varying degrees been abridged by laws brought into force by statutes of national emergency."
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/17/2012 12:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
My old lady had never shot a gun, so I took her out and loaded up a .357, she pulled the trigger once and didn't touch another gun for YEARS. She carries a .38 now, but i messed up that day, 25 years ago.
 Quoting: SPUD

Heh heh... yeah, I've met a few ladies that had to be coaxed to try it again, after someone had tried to train them with a 12 gauge, or some other unpleasant first gun experience, like the .357 you mentioned.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26541356
United States
11/17/2012 12:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Three must have weapons if prepping

1.) 12 gauge pump
2.) .22 rifle with scope
3.) 9 mm pistol your choice ( IMHO ) beretta is my choice

These three weps will alway have the most abundant supply of ammunition
In any area and a wep without ammo is useless

After your big three I would add the following:

4.) AR15 .223
5.) large caliber bolt action rifle with a really expensive nice scope hunting/sniping ... I have a 300 weatherby with a swvorski scope

Learn to clean and break down all 5 ... Keep them well maintained and will serve you well

Really the only 5 firearms a person needs

Granted I have over 200 firearms but if I could only have three you see my top three and the next two that are nice additions to a basic list but not needed before first three
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/17/2012 12:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
Buy a double action revolver. A .38 special. There are no safties to forget to click off, no slides to forget to rack. You pull the trigger and it goes bang, every time. No jams, no surprise discharges that take your kids' head off, far fewer accidents.

Revolvers are much easier, safer and more reliable for a beginner such as yourself.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27855972

I've noticed that most of the answers on this thread seem to totally neglect the fact that the OP asked about a gun that she could hunt with, as well as defend herself with.

I'm a fan of the .38 revolver, but for hunting... Not a good choice at all.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24537507
United States
11/17/2012 01:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
For SHTF I would have a Remington or Mossberg shotgun and a Ruger .22 rifle. Shotguns and 22s can be had second hand for super cheap at almost any pawn shop. Handguns would be nice but not priority. Sig P220 would be my first choice. Sig is a bit pricy but get one used . Those little Glocks in .40 that are almost pocket size are nice too. can't remember model number.
SPUD

11/17/2012 01:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've noticed that most of the answers on this thread seem to totally neglect the fact that the OP asked about a gun that she could hunt with, as well as defend herself with.

I'm a fan of the .38 revolver, but for hunting... Not a good choice at all.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7817543

I don't think i've ever known anyone that owned just one gun. ;)
United States
11/17/2012 01:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ask your hubby if he knows Li Colasanti... Did he graduate from Mount Abraham High School in Bristol per chance? I still love the Bristol Bakery for breakfast, or Papa Nick's in Hinnesburg. :)
Saddletramp

User ID: 812002
Puerto Rico
11/17/2012 01:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
.410 Shotgun, you can get heavy enough shotgun shells to knock down most birds and small animals, and if you need it for self defense you can fire .45 long colts pistol rounds through it...

Last Edited by Saddletramp on 11/17/2012 01:19 AM
"And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods..." ~ Horatius

"Because he told the truth, and once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey..."

"We don't rent pigs!"

GLP