Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,156 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 551,783
Pageviews Today: 952,386Threads Today: 409Posts Today: 6,636
11:53 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

First time gun buyer/owner - suggestions??

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20129820
United Kingdom
11/17/2012 01:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: First time gun buyer/owner - suggestions??
sig sauer P522

[link to www.sigsauer.com]

and if you have extra cash, a sig sauer P230 as a concealed carry weapon ... (my wife had one when we lived in South Africa)

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23011194
United States
11/17/2012 01:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Can't you just see her shooting a 12 gauge? Her first shot she would probably be done, wouldn't touch a gun again for several years at best.
 Quoting: SPUD

agree.....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27755618
United States
11/17/2012 01:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
I posted this in a response on another thread, but want to get as many answers as possible......

Over the last year-ish I've been trying to work on preparing - canned foods, toilet paper, diapers and wipes, water, OTC meds like Tylenol, cold/flu meds, etc, food for my pets, stashing some cash away, but a gun was not something I really thought about, but now I am. If SHTF badly - I want to be able to protect my family - and protect our stuff from thieves who weren't so prepared. I'll leave shooting it to hubby though, haha unless I have to of course.

Serious question - what would anyone recommend for us?? Neither of us hunt, so don't have much experience with guns. I'd like something that can protect us, and something that we can use to hunt should that be necessary. Suggestions welcome - I'm totally seriously thinking about buying one. Money doesn't matter too much - I'll spend to have something good, but at the same time do not want to spend a ridiculously high amount either.....
 Quoting: amywood71605

When I learned about everything that's supposed to unfold in this country I went and Bought an AR-15, a CZ-75, started storing water and food, and everything else imaginable. Then I realized this whole thing is biblical in nature. Not only does god say thou shalt not kill, also says are war isnt physical but spiritual, and put on the whole armour of god. If you give your life to Jesus Christ, you have nothing to worry about. He fed the Israelites with manna when they were in the wilderness. Give your life to Jesus. If you wanna know how to be saved you can email me.. [email protected]
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/17/2012 01:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
here's a better video of the sig sauer 522

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5788499
United Kingdom
11/17/2012 01:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
start from the start. 22 LR such as the Marlin 795 topped with something similar to the Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 6-18x 50mm Adjustable Objective Multi-X Reticle. add a USGI Sling made of nylon or cotton.

get some training. check out project appleseed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20063594
United States
11/17/2012 01:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
i would go with a shotgun

1 because you can do alot of things with it like homedefence,hunt all kinds of game
2 they make all types of loads for it like buck shot for bigger game bird shot for birds ect ect

i went with a mosberg maverick88 with the feild barrel and i bought a shoter home defence barrel
the longer barel is for hunting and the shorter one for home defence
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26296693
United States
11/17/2012 01:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
marlin 45-70 guide gun
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/17/2012 01:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
375 h@h might be too much
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1236619
United States
11/17/2012 02:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Your first one should be a revolver, preferably .357 as you can also fire .38's out of it. The reason for the revolver over the glock is because you can always keep it loaded and it should always work. A magazine has a spring that wears out if it is always loaded so you have to switch magazines every month or so to stop them from going bad. A semi-auto pistol would be great for a second gun or if you are adding more guns although after the revolver I would look at a shotgun.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2679163

Mag springs dont wear out or go bad from the mag staying loaded, they wear out from the cycling loaded to empty its the compressing and decompressing that wears out the spring call or ask any real gun enthusiast or gunsmith if you dont think i'm right.
If you cant give correct advice dont give any
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/17/2012 02:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
start from the start. 22 LR such as the Marlin 795 topped with something similar to the Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 6-18x 50mm Adjustable Objective Multi-X Reticle. add a USGI Sling made of nylon or cotton.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 5788499

Hahaha roflmao...Way too much scope for a 22 there rambo
Whiskey Brotber
User ID: 11702187
United States
11/17/2012 02:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
Can't you just see her shooting a 12 gauge? Her first shot she would probably be done, wouldn't touch a gun again for several years at best.
 Quoting: SPUD

If my 13 year old daughter can handle a 12 gauge, why wouldn't she?

The secret to success is is having the right length of pull on the stock, and holding that stock TIGHT into your shoulder.

People who can't handle a shotgun are afraid of recoil and have a tendancy to not tuck the stock tight into their shoulder, so that when fired the gun rocks back and slams them a good one.
They also swap the stock out for a pistol grip because they think it looks all badass , when in fact it makes the recoil harder to manage.
For a first time shooter, she can use low base bird shot with the 18 inch barrel on untill she gets used to it, then move to the longer barrel and more powerful high base loads later.
Whiskey Brother
United States
11/17/2012 02:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Your first one should be a revolver, preferably .357 as you can also fire .38's out of it. The reason for the revolver over the glock is because you can always keep it loaded and it should always work. A magazine has a spring that wears out if it is always loaded so you have to switch magazines every month or so to stop them from going bad. A semi-auto pistol would be great for a second gun or if you are adding more guns although after the revolver I would look at a shotgun.

Mag springs dont wear out or go bad from the mag staying loaded, they wear out from the cycling loaded to empty its the compressing and decompressing that wears out the spring call or ask any real gun enthusiast or gunsmith if you dont think i'm right.
If you cant give correct advice dont give any
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1236619

This is correct.
Whiskey Brother
United States
11/17/2012 02:45 AM
Report Abusive Post

That scope is for rifles a hell of a lot bigger then a. 22.

That's like putting 2000 dollar rims on a 1988 hyundai...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1779676
United States
11/17/2012 02:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Buy a double action revolver. A .38 special. There are no safties to forget to click off, no slides to forget to rack. You pull the trigger and it goes bang, every time. No jams, no surprise discharges that take your kids' head off, far fewer accidents.

Revolvers are much easier, safer and more reliable for a beginner such as yourself.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27855972

Only thing with those: BE CAREFUL not to let your finger slip off the hammer before it is cocked fully.
Other than that, yea they are in my opinion the best.

They do get outperformed in ammo, because it is hard to reload, but if you are trying to defend your home you won't be shooting wildly out the windows anyway.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/17/2012 02:55 AM
Report Abusive Post

no it's not there gedunk. 50mm objective lets in lots of light for dusk or dawn, 6x18 magnification is well suited for shooting targets from 50-250 yards.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7817543
United States
11/17/2012 02:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Go to Buds Gun Shop.com and just look around. Their deals are great

Thank you. But, after reading the response from the person that talked about going into a gun shop - i think id rather buy it in person so I can "feel" the guns out, if that makes sense. But I appreciate it! hf

Well, go to a gun shop and handle some of the guns. But when you go to buy, get it at Buds, or Cheaper Than Dirt, etc... You'll get a much better deal than most gun shops will ever give you in person. And depending on what gun you buy, the savings can be substantial.

Then use the extra money for ammo.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/17/2012 03:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
also make sure you have a transfer bar on it.if not load on an empty chamber.love my model 29 dosent take kindly to being dropped.WOW
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/17/2012 03:20 AM
Report Abusive Post

That scope is for rifles a hell of a lot bigger then a. 22.

That's like putting 2000 dollar rims on a 1988 hyundai...
 Quoting: Whiskey Brother 11702187

not at all. It’s not unusual to spend as much or more on a high quality scope as you spent on the rifle. that scope is right in line in both price and function. recommending a Leupold, Nikon or Zeiss would be overkill but not that Bushnell Banner.
Whiskey Brother
United States
11/17/2012 03:26 AM
Report Abusive Post

no it's not there gedunk. 50mm objective lets in lots of light for dusk or dawn, 6x18 magnification is well suited for shooting targets from 50-250 yards.

250 yards with a .22 long rifle? How far do you have to hold over?

Not saying it can't be done, as I can hit stuff at that range with either of my. 44 magnums, I'm just curious as to how tight you can group a. 22 long rifle at that range.
Whiskey Brother
United States
11/17/2012 03:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
I do agree with you 100% on the fact that you can have optics that are worth more than the rifle they are mounted on. I can name 2 offhand in my collection, one of them being a 200 dollar scope on a rifle I picked up used for 50 bucks...
Whiskey Brother
United States
11/17/2012 03:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
also make sure you have a transfer bar on it.if not load on an empty chamber.love my model 29 dosent take kindly to being dropped.WOW
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26296693

I think I visibly shuddered at the thought of dropping my Nickle plated 29-2 when I read this..... yikes....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13813766
Australia
11/17/2012 03:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Glock 17
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27903882

got a link/pic of it? Thanks! hf

never mind - this it?

[link to www.glock.com]

looks ok, but is that good for hunting too?

I am Australia but i like guns.Mt suggestion is
A double barrel(short barrelled) 12 guage shotgun with SSG shells with exposed hammers (for safety)
A revolver instead of semi auto pistol to avoid jamming issues.I would get a .357 magnum or a snub nose revolver in a large calibre.
Something along the lines of an AK 47 or a 30 cal M1 or AR15 or similar.
A .30 cal M1! would be cheap and I always liked them.a 12 guage for stopping power and a revolver.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/17/2012 03:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
the point is the optic is overkill for the weapon. You are not going to be shooting acurately at 250 yards with a friggen 22. which is why rimfire scopes scopes are usually in the 2-5 power range. A centerfire rifle optic of that magnification regardless of objective lens size on a 22 is rediculess. You should have put that money into a weapon capable of accurately shooting at those distances in the first place there gedunk
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7817543
United States
11/17/2012 03:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Go to Buds Gun Shop.com and just look around. Their deals are great

BULL SHIT EXPENSIVE AS HELL, SELLING USED GUNS FOR FULL RETAIL AS NEW! SCAM
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27855691

I guess you work for a competitor, because your comment is just about as bogus as bogus can get.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/17/2012 03:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
To prove my point I have a remington 700 vtr chambered in .308 with a nikon prostaff 3-9 x40 with a bdc reticle which is 1/2 the magnification and a smaller objective lens and can consistantly fire 2 inch groups at 400 yards. Its not the optic thats doing that...its the rifle and the shooter. But its your money believe what you want...gedunk
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1379944
United States
11/17/2012 03:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 Express.... so many modifications available...it's perfect.

For a reliable gun that's easy to break down and clean....Glock. Preferably a .40 or .45acp model. (no I don't care what you anti-Glock people think).

Rifle.... as far as .22LR goes... Ruger 10/22... tried, tested... tons of mods available to suit your needs...

High powered rifle.. tossup... go military, for the cheap and get a Mosin-Nagant 91/30... if you get the surplus ammo it's generally steel core (armor piercing) and cheap... either way it's a super hard hitting round..

More modern.. maybe a Remington 700 chambered in .300 Win Mag. Will drop about anything short of an elephant.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27732164
United States
11/17/2012 04:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
- I'm totally seriously thinking about buying one. Money doesn't matter too much - I'll spend to have something good, but at the same time do not want to spend a ridiculously high amount either.....

For the cost of just one of some of the various pistols / revolvers I've seen suggested here Sigs etc., you could buy a 12 Gauge Pardner 8-shot pump-action (8 w/ one chambered or seven shot - no round chambered), and an EAA Witness .22/.45 combo which includes interchangeable barrels and magazines for .22 long rifle, (for small game, practice plinking at cheap .22lr prices), and you'll still have a big .45 for more stopping power and / or hunting without having to buy three separate guns.

Ever look down the barrel of a .45? 9mm are a joke by comparison. Wouldn't waste my money on a .380 or 9mm. Shooting someone with a 9mm might just piss them off... The Pardner shotgun is a 12 gauge with synthetic stock and very rugged. 'nuff said on that.
Whiskey Brother
United States
11/17/2012 04:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
To prove my point I have a remington 700 vtr chambered in .308 with a nikon prostaff 3-9 x40 with a bdc reticle which is 1/2 the magnification and a smaller objective lens and can consistantly fire 2 inch groups at 400 yards. Its not the optic thats doing that...its the rifle and the shooter. But its your money believe what you want...gedunk

I agree with you. When I read his post I was thinking "Damn!!" That's a hell of a powerful scope to be wasting on a. 22 long rifle!
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/17/2012 09:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
the way I see it is that if TSHF, you will need a small concealed carry weapon for your protection ... a sig sauer P230 is ideal, small light and is effective at short range

if you walk around with a large huntig rifle or shotgun or colt 45, you will get mugged for your weapon

if you ar a woman and need something for hunting, you will then need an additional weapon that is light, easy to fire etc and that has 25-30 rounds per magazine

thats why I suggested the sig sauer p522 .... good for hunting small deer/rabbits etc ... and can be a backup for protection as it takes lots of rounds and will be very effective at close range

if you are a butch strong woman,and elephant and moose are on your menu, then this caibre will not be suited
Whiskey Brother
United States
11/17/2012 09:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
the way I see it is that if TSHF, you will need a small concealed carry weapon for your protection ... a sig sauer P230 is ideal, small light and is effective at short range

if you walk around with a large huntig rifle or shotgun or colt 45, you will get mugged for your weapon

if you ar a woman and need something for hunting, you will then need an additional weapon that is light, easy to fire etc and that has 25-30 rounds per magazine

thats why I suggested the sig sauer p522 .... good for hunting small deer/rabbits etc ... and can be a backup for protection as it takes lots of rounds and will be very effective at close range

if you are a butch strong woman,and elephant and moose are on your menu, then this caibre will not be suited
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 20129820

This is a fine example of ADVICE NOT TO TAKE!

I wont even bother to point out every flaw in this reasoning, as it is pretty self apparent.

Hunting rabbits and deer with a sig...Shit, this guy is about as sharp as a bowling ball...

GLP