"Doomsday Preppers" show a scam

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24700919
United States
11/18/2012 01:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
"Doomsday Preppers" show a scam
Imagine you're a dedicated prepper who has invested years of your time and thousands of youir own hard-earned dollars into your emergency SHTF preps. You are paranoid, but committed to survival.

Why then would you go on a nationally syndicated TV show and allow them to use your face, your family's faces, your real names, and even say what city you live in, exposing you to the unnecessary risk of being targeted by everyone in your immediate area when TSHFT?

Answer : no real prepper would. So that means that these people that are being featured on that TV show are actors playing parts written for them by the networks.

To what end?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13284416
United States
11/18/2012 01:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: "Doomsday Preppers" show a scam
afroHahaahaha seriously
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25240102
United States
Report Abusive Post
Yup, OP, I agree with you. It never made sense to me.
zestor

User ID: 3295117
United States
Report Abusive Post
Yeah, the're not actors, just dumb.
Prepare to Self-Sustain.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19623226
United States
11/18/2012 01:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: zestor

I'm gonna agree with this man. Most of the people on the show aren't preppers, they're batshit insane.
EVIL_BEAN_KID

User ID: 28002895
United States
11/18/2012 01:13 PM
Report Abusive Post

this!

some just wanna be on TV, some maybe think they can spread the good word.

you can tell the preppers from the begginning of S1 were much better preppers than S2.

big fat guys with no family and bunkers? why do they wanna survive?

a 15 yr old kid? silly.

after they portrayed the preppers on S1 as total nutjobs NO real prepper would ever be on that or any other show.

the real purpose of that show is to paint preppers, ANYONE that prepares for ANYTHING as a foolish crazy paranoid nutbag.
SLAM THAT CLAM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27956674
United Kingdom
11/18/2012 01:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
If they convince people to prep, then there will be less people freaking out and robbing their neighbours for a few saltines. So, maybe they're improving their overall chance of survival, while screwing up any chance of using whatever bunker they're showing off.

Just playing devil's advocate.
I personally think most preppers get it wrong.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/18/2012 01:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
the real purpose of that show is to paint preppers, ANYONE that prepares for ANYTHING as a foolish crazy paranoid nutbag.
 Quoting: EVIL_BEAN_KID

The show has another effect, though. It brings the subject much more into the mainstream social conversation. It makes the general population much more aware that this element of society lives among them.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23746394
United States
11/18/2012 01:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
this show is extremely entertaining. even if they are crazy.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11348546
Philippines
11/18/2012 01:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Imagine you're a dedicated prepper who has invested years of your time and thousands of youir own hard-earned dollars into your emergency SHTF preps. You are paranoid, but committed to survival.

Why then would you go on a nationally syndicated TV show and allow them to use your face, your family's faces, your real names, and even say what city you live in, exposing you to the unnecessary risk of being targeted by everyone in your immediate area when TSHFT?

Answer : no real prepper would. So that means that these people that are being featured on that TV show are actors playing parts written for them by the networks.

To what end?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24700919

And they are all geared into a specific doom. No real prepper preps for a specific doom. Anything can happen and we know that.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/18/2012 01:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: The Light Under the Door

Well, the folks on that show sure do, because the first and most important prep of them all is stealth. If you don't have that, you don't have anything. Or you WON'T, when the time comes.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27956674
United Kingdom
11/18/2012 01:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
And they are all geared into a specific doom. No real prepper preps for a specific doom. Anything can happen and we know that.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11348546

Yeah. What are they going to do when floods cover their underground bunkers?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11348546
Philippines
11/18/2012 01:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
If they convince people to prep, then there will be less people freaking out and robbing their neighbours for a few saltines. So, maybe they're improving their overall chance of survival, while screwing up any chance of using whatever bunker they're showing off.

seems they are creating more ridicule than anything else
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16045501
Belgium
11/18/2012 01:29 PM
Report Abusive Post

this!

some just wanna be on TV, some maybe think they can spread the good word.

you can tell the preppers from the begginning of S1 were much better preppers than S2.

big fat guys with no family and bunkers? why do they wanna survive?

a 15 yr old kid? silly.

after they portrayed the preppers on S1 as total nutjobs NO real prepper would ever be on that or any other show.

You are probably right, because this is more or less the way they look in that show.
Anonymous Coward
Belgium
11/18/2012 01:31 PM
Report Abusive Post

The show has another effect, though. It brings the subject much more into the mainstream social conversation. It makes the general population much more aware that this element of society lives among them.

In that way it's quite educative, I agree with you.
Anonymous Coward
Belgium
11/18/2012 01:32 PM
Report Abusive Post

If they are right, then the more people are prepping, the more chance everybody has of surviving. Stands to reason.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10372663
United States
11/18/2012 01:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
WOW OP you really believe the shit on the tube is real? ANY OF IT?

REALLY! NAW I can't believe anybody would be that stupid or can they?

You're kidding RIGHT?

To take the words out of a 6yo mouth "DUH"!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19099851
United States
11/18/2012 01:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
You presume doomsday preppers are actually in it because they believe their own propaganda.

99% dont. THey are in it because they feel special prepping, and the great news is that since the doom will never come they can feel morally superior and above everyone else by talking about it.
EVIL_BEAN_KID

User ID: 28002895
United States
11/19/2012 09:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
i think the show forces the "preppers" to pick a single doomsday event.

remember that kinda cute young girl from S1 in texas? she explained a lot about the show behind the scenes in a thread on ar15.com or something, it is a pretty epic thread
SLAM THAT CLAM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16511844
United States
11/20/2012 03:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

To what end?

i'm pretty sure i saw an ad for this on Craigslist...they advertise for reality shows in the gigs section sometime....so these are indeed real preppers....really moronic preppers... :P
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27229787
United States
11/20/2012 03:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
clappa
Strawberrymittens

User ID: 26604828
United States
11/20/2012 03:53 PM
Report Abusive Post

^This^
The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent to the concerns of such puny creatures as we are. - Carl Sagan
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27863479
United Kingdom
11/20/2012 03:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
most people know who the local preppers are anyway.
big al
User ID: 18272543
United States
11/26/2012 12:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
hello my friends im big al you know the fat guy with the bunker yes we are real people just a little worried about this and that also i built the bunker in 1982 i wasnt fat then and there was a little thing called the cold war and at the time russia had half of europe under its iron thumb . and i know now mr putin is mr nice guy but thats up to you isnt it . its easier ti heat my house and know im not alone i actually have friends and family. anyway check out my song the jokes on me [prepper song] artist big al bunker. if you like it pass it around. it might be good for a laugh by the way doint worry about the chinese aircraft carriers they are just to get toys to wall mart a little more quickly hey if you do get into a jam well hmmmmmmmmmmm? love fat al
RASJ01021970

User ID: 15080343
United States
11/26/2012 01:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just for thought,

Is it possible that this show was created and put on air by those that we are all overly concerend about. Is it plausible that they have done this with the knowledge that most people want there 15 min of fame and would contact the show wanting to be a part, thus giving them a complete list of who, what, and where these people and places are.

Now, if the SHTF, does happen they have a list of those that are a potential problematic source without having to hunt them down.

Once again, just a thought.

Last Edited by RASJ01021970 on 11/26/2012 01:28 AM
As always, look beyond what the eye can see.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21836117
Canada
11/26/2012 01:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thats just your opinion. Some never used their names and alot was never disclosed. They were all asked ahead of time how far they were willing to go.

I saw the crew interviewed on a talk show about what they though about the show themselves.

They all started out thinking it was going to be a joke and later as they met with alot of people. Some whom changed their minds over the course of the interviews before the shows were even produced they became believers. At the end of the show they asked them what the one thing was that they believed would happen. The answer was a Solar Flare.

Chew on that. What do you even know about anything. Did you even see that interview...? Obviously not.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28166646
Australia
11/26/2012 02:18 AM
Report Abusive Post

To what end?

I often think this when watching that show.

Are these people stoopid.

Some of the smarter ones only show their preps not their bug out.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18662384
United States
11/26/2012 02:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
TV only exists to show commercials and sell you things. It tells you how to live, what to eat, what clothes to wear, what cars to drive, how to act in social situations...everything you need to know!

Better go splurge on that Black Friday HD Widescreen!!!!!!!!

The real doomsday preppers or survivalists would never take a risk exposing themselves on TV.
Mukk1234

User ID: 28501187
Thailand
11/26/2012 03:04 AM

Report Abusive Post
Its all staged....You correct OP....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15993935
Netherlands
11/26/2012 03:09 AM
Report Abusive Post

To what end?

"no real prepper would"

WRONG.

First of all, what makes you think these people are showing all of their hideouts?

Second of all, these people are, like most people, looking for their 15 minutes of fame. If they can become "prepper Gods of TV" then that will weigh more to them than an apocalypse for which they've been preparing for decades. LOL.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18662384
United States
11/26/2012 03:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
That dude that had a blonde wife and then her hot blonde sister moved in with him was fucking set. He goes "I have two of everything." You know he's banging them both. Fuck yeah.

GLP