Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,171 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 463,377
Pageviews Today: 783,178Threads Today: 335Posts Today: 5,096
10:12 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

other than district 9, how often do movies come out portraying aliens as the good guys?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28009341
United Kingdom
11/18/2012 01:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
other than district 9, how often do movies come out portraying aliens as the good guys?
bear in mind hollywood comes from a little higher up than the production teams...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19755366
Canada
11/18/2012 01:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: other than district 9, how often do movies come out portraying aliens as the good guys?
Men in black 1,2,3, Paul, most kids movies with aliens...

Lots of them
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27956674
United Kingdom
11/18/2012 01:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: other than district 9, how often do movies come out portraying aliens as the good guys?
E.T.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11006689
United States
11/18/2012 01:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
it's actually mostly dependent on political climate. "evil alien" movies are produced during times of conflict or pre-conflict propaganda, benign of benevolent alien flicks during times of "feel good touchy-feely-ness" for the most part. along with dehumanization of the "enemy" in other propaganda efforts, it allows for lessened moral conflict in the eyes of the populace when they finally beat the war drums
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/18/2012 01:17 PM
Report Abusive Post

Lots of them
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19755366

every "MIB" flick had BOTH "good guy" and "bad guy" aliens
Earth Daughter

User ID: 27476817
United States
11/18/2012 01:23 PM
Report Abusive Post

Lots of them

every "MIB" flick had BOTH "good guy" and "bad guy" aliens
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11006689

Personally, I think it would be more accurate to portray them as having both good and bad in their populations, just like we have good and bad people on our planet.

I get tired of the flicks that only show horrid looking creatures trying to eat us. I know it's for the thrill of horror movie scare, but in this day and age when UFO sightings are happening more and more, people need to get more educated about the possibilities of meeting others from elsewhere without all the negative stereotypes from hollywood coloring their opinions.
"Arrows of hate have been shot at me too, but they never hit me, because somehow they belonged to another world, with which I have no connection whatsoever." - Albert Einstein
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23195404
United States
Report Abusive Post
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 28009341
United Kingdom
Report Abusive Post

Lots of them

Exactly, kids movies.
Aliens are a bit dumb, a source of comedy and definetly sub human in standard and intelligence. Except the bad guys, of course
Burgergrrl

User ID: 2166496
United Kingdom
11/18/2012 01:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Alien Nation.......late 80's classic
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27834799
United States
11/18/2012 01:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
it's actually mostly dependent on political climate. "evil alien" movies are produced during times of conflict or pre-conflict propaganda, benign of benevolent alien flicks during times of "feel good touchy-feely-ness" for the most part. along with dehumanization of the "enemy" in other propaganda efforts, it allows for lessened moral conflict in the eyes of the populace when they finally beat the war drums
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11006689

Impresseive perception
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27834799
United States
11/18/2012 01:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
You can barely count on your hands, movies which portrayed ET's as benevolent.

On the other hand, movies that make ET's look totally evil and stupid, are about as numerous as characters in american movies with british accents.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27632224
United States
11/18/2012 01:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
I thought 'Alien' was about a benevolent alien taking down union workers for the sake of capitalism.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27956674
United Kingdom
11/18/2012 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
I thought 'Alien' was about a benevolent alien taking down union workers for the sake of capitalism.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27632224

hf
G. House

User ID: 28004361
United States
11/18/2012 02:00 PM

Report Abusive Post
bear in mind hollywood comes from a little higher up than the production teams...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28009341

Super 8

Return to Witch Mountain
"Everybody lies."
DoubleHelix

User ID: 10449558
United States
11/18/2012 02:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Excuse me buddy, but District 9 had bad aliens also. And this is coming from a honorary nerdyessir

So you can take this info as golden :P
"I posit that the human being has the capability to utilize the ''real eyes'' to ''realize'' and see through the ''real lies'' ...The ''real eyes'' can only become operational when the heart and higher mind are in synchronized, which requires dual brain hemisphere synchronization."~Danial

My [email protected] 1111x1111=1234321<[NUMERICAL PYRAMID;]

“Injustice never rules forever.” - Seneca
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27711550
United States
11/18/2012 02:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20898323
United States
11/18/2012 02:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
KPAC
Sherlock DooM

User ID: 27817193
United States
11/18/2012 02:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
"the fourth kind" can go both ways.
'You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear.'
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23682847
United States
11/18/2012 02:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Star Trek and Star Wars, Duh...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28009359
Denmark
11/18/2012 02:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Avatar? This movie was basically a tale about how evil humans are. Not the first time James Cameron blows propaganda in our faces. And the movie wasn't very good either. Visually mindblowing, yes? Character development, script, story etc etc... sucked.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/18/2012 02:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Predator, alien fighting the military industrial complex to preserve the rights of hunters.

Starship Troopers, aliens fighting the military industrial complex in order to eradicate the racist pro-mammalian agenda.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/18/2012 02:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Battle: Los Angeles, aliens trying to perform much-needed renovations to Los Angeles.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/18/2012 02:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
"star wars" was propaganda to build support for the mujahidin in afghanistan. "starship troopers" was a condemnation of "evil hive mind communism"(the book is from the 50s). "alien" and "predator" were both condemnations of "solo psycho terrorists" (ala "the jackal", and "blown away"), unibomber anyone? alien invasion flicks didn't exist until the cold war. it's all about steering attitudes about conflict.
FairiesWearBoots

User ID: 13242632
United Kingdom
11/18/2012 02:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

More so relevant today.

Klaatu:

" I am leaving soon, and you will forgive me if I speak bluntly. The universe grows smaller every day, and the threat of aggression by any group, anywhere, can no longer be tolerated. There must be security for all, or no one is secure. Now, this does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. Your ancestors knew this when they made laws to govern themselves and hired policemen to enforce them. We, of the other planets, have long accepted this principle. We have an organization for the mutual protection of all planets and for the complete elimination of aggression. The test of any such higher authority is, of course, the police force that supports it. For our policemen, we created a race of robots. Their function is to patrol the planets in spaceships like this one and preserve the peace. In matters of aggression, we have given them absolute power over us. This power cannot be revoked. At the first sign of violence, they act automatically against the aggressor. The penalty for provoking their action is too terrible to risk. The result is, we live in peace, without arms or armies, secure in the knowledge that we are free from aggression and war. Free to pursue more... profitable enterprises. Now, we do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system, and it works. I came here to give you these facts. It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet, but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder. Your choice is simple: join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. The decision rests with you"
Crooks in my government
peado's on my police force,
rich and poor unbalanced like seesaws,
having faith in your government won't cease wars and like outside decking it will only increase flaws.
Fake idols being praised on my T.V,
promoting morals and ethics that are sleazy,
it's hard to be real but to be fake it is easy,
so hungry for the truth because nobody will feed me.
UKID(Lyrics From Crooks)
[link to ukid.bandcamp.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/18/2012 02:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

More so relevant today.

Klaatu:

" I am leaving soon, and you will forgive me if I speak bluntly. The universe grows smaller every day, and the threat of aggression by any group, anywhere, can no longer be tolerated. There must be security for all, or no one is secure. Now, this does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. Your ancestors knew this when they made laws to govern themselves and hired policemen to enforce them. We, of the other planets, have long accepted this principle. We have an organization for the mutual protection of all planets and for the complete elimination of aggression. The test of any such higher authority is, of course, the police force that supports it. For our policemen, we created a race of robots. Their function is to patrol the planets in spaceships like this one and preserve the peace. In matters of aggression, we have given them absolute power over us. This power cannot be revoked. At the first sign of violence, they act automatically against the aggressor. The penalty for provoking their action is too terrible to risk. The result is, we live in peace, without arms or armies, secure in the knowledge that we are free from aggression and war. Free to pursue more... profitable enterprises. Now, we do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system, and it works. I came here to give you these facts. It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet, but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder. Your choice is simple: join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. The decision rests with you"
 Quoting: FairiesWearBoots

the UN, NATO, SEATO
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27936947
United States
11/18/2012 02:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Battle: Los Angeles, aliens trying to perform much-needed renovations to Los Angeles.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27632224

chuckle

GLP