Lucid Dreaming & Sleeping Paralysis

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1306234
United States
11/18/2012 11:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Lucid Dreaming & Sleeping Paralysis
I like many of you I am sure have had lucid dreams, probably the most amazing experiences of my life. The chance to fly, walk through walls & conjure things on a whim.

When I was very young I started to have serious problems with being conscious but not being able to move during sleep. I had to fight my way out of it, usually I had to kick my way out of it so to speak. I almost always was able to beat it, the few times I lost, I ended up in dreams I was aware of, they were always terrifying...probably because I was terrified that I lost the fight with the paralysis and it carried over into the dream. As I got older, it continued. One time a girlfriend caught me in the middle of these fights when I slept at her house. I asked her what she saw and she said she saw my expression in my face was tense and my leg was flinching.

Finally one night I decided not to fight anymore and face it without fear. It was amazing, I was awake but dreaming, I moved around went through a wall, and got so excited I woke myself up. Ever since then I have learned to control my dreams in such a way that I cannot not wait to go to sleep and look forward to the next adventure.

Anybody here have any similar experiences? Anybody have any good lucid dreaming induction suggestions? Anybody here have a different idea about what I am experiencing other than lucid dreaming?

I would like to know as much info as I can on this subject from all angles please.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21139993
United States
11/19/2012 12:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Lucid Dreaming & Sleeping Paralysis
Hey there. When I was around 14 years old the family moved across town into a "haunted house." We really didn't notice until about a year or so into living there. Anyways, at that point I took naps from time to time and experienced sleep paralysis. It was no big deal, just had to move my finger, then hand, then arm and wigggle out. One day however, it happpened and it was more intense. Up until this point the family knew things were not right in the house. So, when I took a nap one Saturday afternoom here pops up this black shadow to the right of me saying my name and that he is coming for me.
I was scared,shed some tears. I fought to get back in my body and after a few minutes was normal. It seemed to be pulling me out. Thats how if felt anyways.I was more intrigued than frightend, however. The following month I went back into that state every day if I had time and saw a few angels and a few other things in the house.
It felt as if I am going to die. It is a crazy scary feeling. I have had a lot of lucid dreams when I was younger. I still have them every once in awhile. I want them to return. So, last week I order a lot of African Dream Root. It's in the mail now. I also ordered seeds to grow in my house. It is used to induce vivid dreams, lucid dreaming, and contact your loved ones that have passed.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/19/2012 12:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hey there. When I was around 14 years old the family moved across town into a "haunted house." We really didn't notice until about a year or so into living there. Anyways, at that point I took naps from time to time and experienced sleep paralysis. It was no big deal, just had to move my finger, then hand, then arm and wigggle out. One day however, it happpened and it was more intense. Up until this point the family knew things were not right in the house. So, when I took a nap one Saturday afternoom here pops up this black shadow to the right of me saying my name and that he is coming for me.
I was scared,shed some tears. I fought to get back in my body and after a few minutes was normal. It seemed to be pulling me out. Thats how if felt anyways.I was more intrigued than frightend, however. The following month I went back into that state every day if I had time and saw a few angels and a few other things in the house.
It felt as if I am going to die. It is a crazy scary feeling. I have had a lot of lucid dreams when I was younger. I still have them every once in awhile. I want them to return. So, last week I order a lot of African Dream Root. It's in the mail now. I also ordered seeds to grow in my house. It is used to induce vivid dreams, lucid dreaming, and contact your loved ones that have passed.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 21139993

Interesting stuff...thanks for the input.

S. capensis is regarded by the Xhosa people as a sacred plant. Its root is traditionally used to induce vivid (and according to the Xhosa, prophetic) lucid dreams during the initiation process of shamans

[link to en.wikipedia.org]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1199093
United States
11/19/2012 03:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
I used to have dreams I could not bring myself out of. It took a lot of struggling to finally be able to wake up. This hasn't happened in a while. I do sometimes realize I am dreaming and just go with it, or even try to control it some.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/19/2012 05:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
I used to have dreams I could not bring myself out of. It took a lot of struggling to finally be able to wake up. This hasn't happened in a while. I do sometimes realize I am dreaming and just go with it, or even try to control it some.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1199093

I found the best way to end a dream I cannot wake from is to kill yourself in the dream, jump off a cliff or drown are examples that worked for me.
Manu-Koelbren

User ID: 28195120
Spain
11/26/2012 03:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1199093

I found the best way to end a dream I cannot wake from is to kill yourself in the dream, jump off a cliff or drown are examples that worked for me.
 Quoting: gr00vygibson

Yes killing yourself in dreams brings you right back, maybe when we die we go back "there"?

Anyway I never killed myself in dreams but I got killed.
Banned as usual.

“It is far easier to be a weakling than to be a Real Man. Were the Earth less harsh or the circumstances of life less austere, man would destroy himself before the shrine of the languid goddess. Only Real Men can with safety destroy the tangled forests and wilderness of Earth and make from them gardens, but will those who inherit the gardens be Real Men? The law decrees that they must be, or the wilderness will reclaim its own.”
WickedDramaQueen

User ID: 27287718
Germany
11/26/2012 05:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
My husband swears by the "looking at the clock technique"
Basically in your day to day routine look at clocks all the time.
He claims when your lucid dreaming you will know because you'll look at the clock and it will be all weird.
Hope this helps.
The One and Only Drama Queen.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1532693
United States
11/26/2012 06:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
read The Art of Dreaming
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28507999
United States
11/26/2012 07:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just faded to black(pretend to close your eyes,but there you don't have eyes lol) and create the falling backward sensation and you will wake up. You must stay calm/control your emotions. Nothing can harm you but you.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14038453
United States
11/26/2012 01:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
My husband swears by the "looking at the clock technique"
Basically in your day to day routine look at clocks all the time.
He claims when your lucid dreaming you will know because you'll look at the clock and it will be all weird.
Hope this helps.
 Quoting: WickedDramaQueen

interesting.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12655659
United States
11/26/2012 01:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
this would happen to me and my brother all the time as kids, but I would turn the lucid dream into a nightmare because I was aware of it and the worry of it becoming a nightmare would actually turn it into one. when I would try to wake up I couldn't move and I would scream in my head over and over again. I hate them lol. The last one I had was not that long ago and I kept waking up in a dream thinking I was awake only to wake up again in the dream, it felt like I did this about 5 times over and over again and each time something would be different in my house like a pillow on the couch or different lighting in the kitchen, the more times the stranger it would get and the last dream before waking up was I had a dog and I don't own a dog lol, but in my dream I knew it was my dog and it was normal lol...I woke up by throwing myself against the walls in my dream like the video take on me from the 80's.

I also want to add I lived in a haunted house as a kid, very strange things happened in this house, it was built in the 1800's in Chicago.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4084951
United States
11/26/2012 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
I use to get sleep paralysis all the time also. I though I had to fight my way out of it because it felt so overwhelming. I later met someone that advised me not to fight it since it's when what they call kundalini energy is at it's strongest. You can hurt yourself since the energy is rising through your spine and and movement can strain your nerve ends. Funny thing is when he told me I had recently had an experience and got a stiff neck because of it, I thought I had slept wrong but now I know better.

Well to get to the point, this is a good time to have an out of body experience. What you do is just lay there and try to push all you're energy to you're head and try to project yourself out. If you accomplish this you will have an experience unlike any other. Oh and by the way if you see any shadows on the walls or anything of the sort, it means your body is vibrating at lower levels. Don't be scared just push it away with your energy. Also, it's best to get away from the body as soon as possible about a couple hundred feet, or else you can get pulled back in and wake up.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27930315
United States
11/26/2012 03:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
I taught myself to lucid dream when I was a child. I did not know it was called this at the time. I just used to have nightmares frequently so I decided to try to change the dream. I think it was my older sister who suggested it. Once I got the hang of it, I started waking myself up during some of the dreams. That actually was harder for me and usually had to tell myself repeatedly, "this is a dream, wake up." A few times I was able to reenter the same dream (a good one) after waking up.

An interesting thing I was fortunate enough to find out during an EEG was that at times I am conscious of what is happening around me while showing sleep waves. I had asked if I had to repeat the EEG another time as I had not fallen asleep. The technicians told me I had fallen asleep for approximately 1 1/2 hours. I told them I was just very relaxed but not sleeping. I then repeated numerous things that I had heard. The wind howling around the building, someone laughing really loudly in the hallway, and that they had accidently left the mic on then turned it off when they realized it, etc. They did not understand how it was possible that had happened. During my last EEG the same thing happened.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28524339
United Kingdom
11/26/2012 03:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
I get sleep paralysis now and then, usually as a consequence of cat napping some point during the day / afternoon / early evening, and it's a horrible sensation, feels like you're in total limbo. And when you've had one bout of it during your nights sleep, it's likely that it won't be the last.

When I get a bout of it I end up having to hold on to a handle on the side of the mattress, so I can use it to pull me out of that horrible limbo.

But it's interesting what you say about lucid dreaming occurring when you lose the battle with sleep paralysis, I have never noticed that before, and have had lucid dreams a few times, they're generally shortlived, what appear to be like a matter of seconds before I snap out of them and awake, but the level of detail in the lucid dreams seems amazing, I can focus on a newspaper for example and start reading an article in it.

Maybe I'll have to start losing the fight in sleep paralysis to encounter some more lucid dreaming as they do seem to be rare.

One of things I read about trying to invoke a lucid dream was to read something in your dream, anything that happens to be readable, a book, a newspaper, a sign, a shop window etc., look away and then look back, when you notice the text changes it's an indicator that you are dreaming and if you do it right you can continue the dream knowing full well its a dream and basically conjure up anything you so wish.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30867238
United States
12/26/2012 05:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
I like many of you I am sure have had lucid dreams, probably the most amazing experiences of my life. The chance to fly, walk through walls & conjure things on a whim.

When I was very young I started to have serious problems with being conscious but not being able to move during sleep. I had to fight my way out of it, usually I had to kick my way out of it so to speak. I almost always was able to beat it, the few times I lost, I ended up in dreams I was aware of, they were always terrifying...probably because I was terrified that I lost the fight with the paralysis and it carried over into the dream. As I got older, it continued. One time a girlfriend caught me in the middle of these fights when I slept at her house. I asked her what she saw and she said she saw my expression in my face was tense and my leg was flinching.

Finally one night I decided not to fight anymore and face it without fear. It was amazing, I was awake but dreaming, I moved around went through a wall, and got so excited I woke myself up. Ever since then I have learned to control my dreams in such a way that I cannot not wait to go to sleep and look forward to the next adventure.

Anybody here have any similar experiences? Anybody have any good lucid dreaming induction suggestions? Anybody here have a different idea about what I am experiencing other than lucid dreaming?

I would like to know as much info as I can on this subject from all angles please.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1306234

Well, now, first thing I would do would be to bang the first hot chick within sight within my dream. And don't just fly around 'earth'..space travel can be great fun.
I've visited several of the planets and moons in our solar system and in other solar systems as well.

GLP