Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,453 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 217,817
Pageviews Today: 359,008Threads Today: 116Posts Today: 2,090
05:17 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

How can I stop my son talking to himself CONSTANTLY???

miffed
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 26338448
Australia
11/19/2012 05:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
How can I stop my son talking to himself CONSTANTLY???
My son is no longer on any medication for schizophrenia (he is supposed to be on injections of clopixol fortnightly but it didn't change anything so I haven't taken him for his injections for the last month). He is on a low dose of Lithium for bipolar but his only 2 bad habits these days is constantly talking to himself out loud & not sleeping at regular times. I don't want him medicated again but we have a psychiatrist appointment on the 28th & if I can't find a way to stop this then they will put him back on psych meds as he is court ordered until the 18th of January. We eat well & I have him on fish oil, B complex, magnesium & zinc. He has put on about 20kg's in 6 months from the psych meds & has no desire to do ANYTHING at all!!
TraderRob

User ID: 9202793
United States
11/19/2012 05:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: How can I stop my son talking to himself CONSTANTLY???
My son is no longer on any medication for schizophrenia (he is supposed to be on injections of clopixol fortnightly but it didn't change anything so I haven't taken him for his injections for the last month). He is on a low dose of Lithium for bipolar but his only 2 bad habits these days is constantly talking to himself out loud & not sleeping at regular times. I don't want him medicated again but we have a psychiatrist appointment on the 28th & if I can't find a way to stop this then they will put him back on psych meds as he is court ordered until the 18th of January. We eat well & I have him on fish oil, B complex, magnesium & zinc. He has put on about 20kg's in 6 months from the psych meds & has no desire to do ANYTHING at all!!
 Quoting: miffed

Make him spend a day with my 12 year old who won't shut up either. This kid talks in her sleep too. Maybe they will annoy the crap out of each other and that will get their attention.
Have a nice day = GFY. GFY = Go Fuck Yourself. If this offends you then have a nice day.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2083127
United States
11/19/2012 05:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think outloud often when i'm home or think i'm alone and do also sleep at irregular hours. How old is he?
Cosmic Eye Open
User ID: 7592463
United States
11/19/2012 05:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ease up on him, he is probably still coming off of the psych meds and talking to himself is part of his withdrawls.

A person talking out loud to themself isn't really justification to up the drugs again is it ?

Keep the TV off in your house and enroll him in something that will challenge his energy, like martial arts or even yoga or Tai Chi...
when his mind is engaged and his energies being channeled through this positive activity, his talking to himself will probably stop as well.

Also, does he have any friends that he talks to ?
A support group of people close in age to him, also in recovery ?

Maybe he's just lonely and hanging around Mama too much.

Good luck !
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22108680
New Zealand
11/19/2012 05:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
That whole paragraph was all about you.
I,me,I,me,....you.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27467395
United States
11/19/2012 05:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
You don't, some people have to turn inward to find a person worth talking to. Not that you are not worth it, you just wouldn't understand the things he is trying to work out.

Why would you want to stop him?? Just accept his habit, talking to oneself doesn't hurt anybody else.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28060860
Spain
11/19/2012 05:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Tell him to quiet his mind for a few seconds and then he can start watching his thoughts. At the beginning he will probably be able to do it just for a few seconds , but if he gets into the habit of doing it a few times a day I asure you it will help him inmensely.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17687147
United States
11/19/2012 05:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ease up on him, he is probably still coming off of the psych meds and talking to himself is part of his withdrawls.

A person talking out loud to themself isn't really justification to up the drugs again is it ?

Keep the TV off in your house and enroll him in something that will challenge his energy, like martial arts or even yoga or Tai Chi...
when his mind is engaged and his energies being channeled through this positive activity, his talking to himself will probably stop as well.

Good luck !
 Quoting: Cosmic Eye Open 7592463

I understand what your saying.My son is also mentally challenged,All that can be done is to love them for who they are.My son refuses his meds too and I cant force him hes 17. I have tried to channel my sons energy for 17 years it dont work. and as far as him having friends, gee when you were in school how many challenged friends did your group hang out with. yea so friends are probably out.He doesnt know why he talks outloud it maybe comforting to him. And if mama is the only friend he has whats wrong with that I cant imagine a better friend.All us mothers can do is love them.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17643696
Australia
11/19/2012 05:44 AM
Report Abusive Post

Looks like he has an outstanding carrer as a politician ahead.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25040546
Belize
11/19/2012 05:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
we all talk to our self
everything else is an illusion

+

Sherlock DooM

User ID: 27817193
United States
11/19/2012 05:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
Make him smoke weed
'You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear.'
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1230442
United States
11/19/2012 05:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
Talking to yourself is normal. Leave the poor kid alone and keep him away from Psychiatrists. Get him out in nature, give him a guitar, sign him up for painting classes, keep him busy and off meds. Quit telling him there is something wrong with him. Maybe something is wrong with you OP.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26618088
Philippines
11/19/2012 05:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Buy him a puppy. Do it. You will be happy you did.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27968504
United States
11/19/2012 05:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
My son is no longer on any medication for schizophrenia (he is supposed to be on injections of clopixol fortnightly but it didn't change anything so I haven't taken him for his injections for the last month).

Pressured speech.

[link to bipolar.about.com]

"Because pressured speech is not in itself a disorder, treatment depends upon the underlying cause. In some cases, the speech pattern is due to a temporary bout of anxiety or extreme stress and may go away on its own. When pressured speech co-occurs with other symptoms, clinicians may conduct evaluations to determine the cause. Clinicians may conduct tests to ensure a brain injury is not the cause. When the symptom is caused by a mental illness, psychiatrists and doctors may prescribe a number of psychoactive drugs in some cases to improve symptoms. Talk therapy can also be helpful for people with anxiety-inducing mental illnesses that result in pressured speech"

Make him smoke weed
 Quoting: Sherlock DooM

Consuming a high CBD hemp oil would be less agitating, if you choose this advise
Voo Doo Doll
User ID: 27492673
Australia
11/19/2012 06:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
Why is he being ordered by court to be drugged?
Just Some Dude

User ID: 3779821
United States
11/19/2012 06:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm not real big on minor psych disorders and the overmedication of populations to sell pills but I can tell you from experience from psych rotation at the hospital this semester you do NOT want to remove medications from someone with schizophrenia. This isn't something that is going to just magically go away on its own. Sorry, but that's the reality. Find out what the doctor wants to do as far as trying out different meds and at varying dosages and what can be done about the weight gain, but you are putting your son at risk by not having him managed pharmaceutically.

gonzo2
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28061560
China
11/19/2012 06:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Mirror his behaviour, in front of him, and get him to associate such behaviour with negative outcomes.

For instance, sit near him and start talking to yourself, completely ignoring him, and if he asks a question, ignore it and keep talking to yourself about something totally unrelated. This will make him feel ignored, excluded and invisible, and he may come to associate such negative feelings with the generic behaviour of someone talking to themselves.

However, when or if you see him become too frustrated from being ignored, turn to him directly and look him the eyes, and say, would you like some (say some sort of food, some sort of treat), and then reward him with that treat straight away; he will become to associate direct face-to-face talking with a reward.

It sounds old school and pavlovian, but it is worth a try.
Chris
User ID: 8335588
United States
11/19/2012 06:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
You are a great mother...if not for moms like you...not many of us "normal people" would have made it...I'm not a doctor or even an expert on these kind of matters...I'm a 40 somthing male who works on a tub boat in the Seattle wa area...I have two sons one is 9 the other 15...they are "normal "as well...but when I read your post I had to tell you how how proud I am of you...
I truly wish yiu all the best...keep the love in your heart...It really is the most important thing...(when we go thru our life review...and yes we ALL will) you'll realize some things right away...
1. life was short.(even if you live to be 500 years old)
2.Love really was, what it was all about.
3.I'm sooo glad I hung in there...
4. my son is now 100% and very grateful I hung in there too
Chris
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28061560
China
Report Abusive Post
Mirror his behaviour, in front of him, and get him to associate such behaviour with negative outcomes.

For instance, sit near him and start talking to yourself, completely ignoring him, and if he asks a question, ignore it and keep talking to yourself about something totally unrelated. This will make him feel ignored, excluded and invisible, and he may come to associate such negative feelings with the generic behaviour of someone talking to themselves.

However, when or if you see him become too frustrated from being ignored, turn to him directly and look him the eyes, and say, would you like some (say some sort of food, some sort of treat), and then reward him with that treat straight away; he will become to associate direct face-to-face talking with a reward.

It sounds old school and pavlovian, but it is worth a try.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28061560

I meant to add, before you switch and talk to him directly offering some sort of treat, leave the room and let things cool a bit. Only later, go back and speak to him directly with eye contact.
Sungaze_At_Dawn

User ID: 1458670
Canada

Report Abusive Post
Canadian doctor has successfully helped many manage schizophrenia with niacin and vit C. Including Margo Kidder and various famous folk.

Successfully treating schizophrenia with niacin, Abram Hoffer, MD, PhD

[link to www.4optimallife.com]

These results are based on:

Six prospective double-blind studies. 1
Personal observations of over 4000 patients.
Studies conducted by colleagues.
Letters received from patients who were never personally seen but tried the treatment program.
DIET:

Elimination of all processed or prepared foods containing added refined sugars and probably 90% of other additives, as foods that contain added sugars usually contain other additives.

Elimination diets to remove all foods to which the patient is allergic or sensitive.

SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin B3 (niacin or niacinamide) 0.5 – 2 grams 3 times daily.
Vitamin B6 (for many) 250-500 mg daily.
A general B vitamin formula.
Vitamin C, 3 or more grams daily.
Zinc (gluconate or citrate) 50 mg daily.
Manganese 15-30 mg daily (if there is danger of tardive dyskinesia).
I also use omega three essential fatty acids rich in EPA and less rich in DHA. The best preparation contains three times as much EPA as it does DHA. I use four large capsules twice daily This product I use is Kirunal.

Footnotes:

The Devil tries to convince everyone he doesn't exist.
The state tries to convince everyone they cannot resist.
Do not go quietly into the good night. Rage Rage against the dying light!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24433009
United States
11/19/2012 06:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
If I ever have kids I want to have 2 back to back. They can keep each other company, use each other to develop their social skills, and in general be more well adjusted when they are older.

I want them to be no more than 2 years age difference apart.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26161363
Canada
11/19/2012 06:15 AM
Report Abusive Post

What is wrong with you?

Of course kids will talk to themselves, it's part of being creative. And what kid wants to or can go to bed at bedtime?

Be glad that you didn't give birth to another porridge child in a Politically Correct mindless world. Stop trying to fix him.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26851286
United Kingdom
11/19/2012 06:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Parents naturally worry when their children don't fit the definition of normal or healthy that they would like, and, also naturally, they can't stop thinking this way.

Perhaps to put yourself in his shoes first would give you more insight in to how to help him - and indeed to see how he actually needs help. Sometimes others perceive suffering and problems where there are none, and don't perceive it when there is. Try to make sure you've got this the right way round, and much love and luck to you and your family.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27984397
Australia
11/19/2012 06:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
I agree with the above poster

its very important to be responsible with
psyche meds.

Perhaps your son is adjusting, trying to cope with
his altered biochemistry,there are many helpful
sites on the net, to help deal with people on
heavy duty psyche meds and you should find out
as much as you can.

The suppelements will take time to work, at least 3 months
and do some research on dietary recommendations as well.

Try and find a support group for him, an interest,
and maybe a support group for yourself

I hope this helos

Clopixal is prescibed for both schizophrenia and
bi polar disorders

[link to www.socialaudit.org.uk]

If drugs are withdrawn, recurrence of symptoms may not become apparent for several weeks or months" (Modecate/fluphenazine; Clopixol/zuclopenthixol)

From wiki

Zuclopenthixol is available in three major preparations:

As zuclopenthixol decanoate (Clopixol), it is a long acting intramuscular injection. Its main use is as a long acting injection given every two or three weeks to people with schizophrenia who have a poor compliance with medication and suffer frequent relapses of illness.[3] There is some evidence it may be more helpful in managing aggressive behaviour.[4]

As zuclopenthixol acetate (Clopixol, Acuphase, Cisordinol- Acutard), it is a shorter acting intramuscular injection used in the acute sedation of psychotic inpatients. The effect peaks at 48–72 hours providing 2–3 days of sedation.[5]

As zuclopenthixol dihydrochloride (Clopixol), it is a tablet used in the treatment of schizophrenia in those who are compliant with oral medication.[6]

It is also used in the treatment of acute bipolar mania.
Sungaze_At_Dawn

User ID: 1458670
Canada
11/19/2012 06:27 AM

Report Abusive Post
Now there are degrees of schizophrenia. And some people do not respond to alternatives and even with medicine are still chronic. Years ago even thought about becoming psychiatric nurse, but its very difficult to deal with actually.

There is a difference between accute or chronic and depending on the age of your son, they may not even know. Chronic is something you tell over time.

Accute schizophrenics come and go with symptoms. Chronic is day by day and doesnt respond that much to medication, ie it will calm them down, and make them more pleasant to be around others, and allow them to sleep at night, but it doesnt eliminate symptoms. Medication for chronic manages them.

There are some very dangerous modern medicines, I believe put out on purpose by Big Pharma to kill a percentage of people with these conditions. For example, one of the more modern ones, is often given in hospital so they don't have to deal with the symptoms for both szhizophrenia and for OCD.
It makes them sleep more but they need bloodwork every single week, and their white cell counts monitored and can ruin the immune system and cause heart failure and sudden death.

In addition these newer meds can't be stopped cold turkey, and require slow transfer to other meds, or a person can die from the sudden withdrawals.

If someone needs meds, they can still be on the natural and possibly in the end require less or no meds. But its very much best to look into the old fashioned medications, they have less side affects and you don't require constant bloodwork.

One of the side affects of these meds are weight gain.

Chronic Schizophrenia symptoms include talking to beings that are not their often, seeing angels, people, creatures, like in one woman's case, giant spiders, and witches and demigods such as zeus, and one might argue some of what these people are seeing is in other realms.

Whether you believe in what they're going through or not, they believe it and you need to be from a standpoint of understanding this.

The input signals, where our brain programs analyze light waves, sound waves and then form patterns on a screen in the back of our heads, the movie of the world around us, and our reality. Their is hijacked or altered. What they see is a different reality but its just as real to them as ours is to us. A woman I know saw someone burning her and an instant blister arose on her arm.

David Wilcock in his books and presentation mentions that over calcification of the pineal also leads to this in studies.

Taking melatonin is supposed to help and detoxing the pineal, ie iodide crystals may help. P'aurco tea several times a day as well.

Chronic is very hard on families, and doesnt go away, the symptoms will persist even through meds, and the meds are to make the person more pleasant to be around and be capable of independent or semi independent living. Some people yell and scream and act in extremely agitated ways.

Also, he/she would need to express what they're going through. Ie. if they're having auditory and visual visions, would need to talk about it, they can't have their reality bottled up and not understood, and that can be really difficult.

Training them to write in a journal about it, is good.

Last Edited by Sungaze_At_Dawn on 11/19/2012 06:31 AM
The Devil tries to convince everyone he doesn't exist.
The state tries to convince everyone they cannot resist.
Do not go quietly into the good night. Rage Rage against the dying light!
miffed  (OP)

User ID: 26338448
Australia
11/19/2012 06:30 AM
Report Abusive Post

Good luck !
 Quoting: Cosmic Eye Open 7592463

I don't want him medicated again but we have a psychiatrist appointment on the 28th & if I can't find a way to stop this then they will put him back on psych meds as he is court ordered until the 18th of January HE IS COURT ORDERED TO BE ON ANTIPSYCHOTICS UNTIL JAN 18th (We are hoping to show to this doctor that he doesn't need them)

I can't get him interested in ANYTHING!!! I wish I could but he has no motivation. he may be lonely but he doesn't even talk to myself or his brother anymore only himself.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28058313
Australia
11/19/2012 06:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
why are you asking advice from a bunch of tinfoil wearing loons?

putin
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27984397
Australia
Report Abusive Post
umm did you actually read any of the above posts ?
There's loads of good info there from people who actually
took the time to write
Funney

User ID: 11648979
Czechia

Report Abusive Post
my advice: try more social links
do you have friends with kids ? invite them regulary!

you know this condition has 1 important preference:
"social uncompatibility"

they talk so often for the fact, that they need information from others, if they dont get it, they speak to themselves, to be satisfied, to have things SET SO!

they just need to have all addressed at the right place (other oppinions and views are most needed in these moments.. hence the social attitude)

hf

no way drugs pls
my friends kid has the same condition
he talks aloud and wont stop, sometimes he is destructive and destroys toys of his friends, as if they can not play SO..

then they noticed his love for numbers!
they began to play with him as salesmans, they made a little shop with many things, paper money etc.

guess what, he is a lot calmer and seems to be busy with it
when i came in, we play and talk.. THIS WAS ABSENT (he was not full, his attention was jumping around things, but no objectivity.. now it seems very different)

IT IS THE APPROACH THAT COUNTS

hf
moral reasoning takes about 250 miliseconds
we make errors in between
perception->relation->behaviour
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22596999
United States
11/19/2012 06:33 AM
Report Abusive Post

Buy him a rubber doll.
DPS

User ID: 26633225
Israel
11/19/2012 06:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
why be stupid and missinformed by medical propaganda?!?!?!?!

youre son is gifted! if he has scizo then he is highly spiritual and probably has connection to the spiritual realm!

let him be

GLP