I'm thinking of getting a german shepherd

Laura Bow

User ID: 1158661
United States
11/20/2012 09:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: I'm thinking of getting a german shepherd
wow, thanks for all the good info on this thread, I am becoming more sure that a german shepherd is what I want.

I am really enjoying this process, I've been without a dog for too long. hf
 Quoting: mk ultra 5813027

Are you still leaning towards getting a dog from your friend? Like I said, best to check around and get as much info as possible and please know that a German Shepherd from one line may be a bit different from another line (especially the working dogs, which are great but may be too much for most people!). I saw yesterday that you liked my pic, the pup in my avatar is of the long hair variety. They length of a German Shepherd's coat can vary from extremely short to very long (most are known as short coats though), as well as a myriad of colors.
T Ceti H.C. Radnarg

User ID: 27089841
United States
11/20/2012 10:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
since when did jesus become a nazi?rimshot
How unfortunate for some rulers when men,women,and children continue to think... Keep repeating the lies loud enough and long enough and just maybe the people will start to believe the lies again and good luck with that...finding your energy open until mars becomes raging aries...
Laura Bow

United States
11/20/2012 03:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
since when did jesus become a nazi?rimshot
 Quoting: T Ceti H.C. Radnarg

spock
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25601325
United States
11/21/2012 02:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Will you train it to smell for tasty genetics?
Laura Bow

United States
11/21/2012 08:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Pup bump...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28150173
United States
11/21/2012 08:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
i've always admired german shepards but my whole life has been involved with dobermans.

enjoy your new family member.
Ralph--a house dog

User ID: 25802009
United States
11/21/2012 08:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
They can be certified free. Will save you time, money and some heartache. However, rescue pupps are awesome too.

[link to www.candlehillshepherds.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25284379

Yes, parents can be certified free of dysplasia but in the end the only way you can be 100% sure that your dog is free of hip dysplasia is to also have the certification done on your own dog as well. However, even parents that are certified may produce a pup that has hip problems but (depending on factors, which is why it does depend on the breeder) in general, should be less likely to produce one.
 Quoting: Laura Bow

the problem is my friend breeds them, I can get one from her at a great price, but I am actually considering looking to import one from another breeder. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I want a dog that is going to be as free and clear of hip problems as possible. I've been thinking about this for along time, and she is asking me if I want in on the next litter and I keep stalling. I know a dog is a dog and I'll fall for it no matter where is comes from, but I want to get the best I can.

Talk to your friend about your concerns, she should understand. Ask her if she will take the pup you select to a vet to be certified, even if you have to pay for it.

Be sure and get somebody else to do this rather than you because if the puppy has likely hip problems and YOU were the one holding him and cuddling him for a length of time, you would be well on the way to bonding with that dog. You might be really sad about returning him to the breeder so spare yourself that anguish.
"Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night.....Rage, rage against the dying of the light"-----Dylan Thomas

HIS NAME IS SETH RICH

[link to biblicalselfdefense.com]

[link to forum.1111ers.blog]

Always remember that "for the greater good" will not include YOU.

"Who decides?"
---Robert A. Heinlein

-'Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.'—Benjamin Franklin

[link to www.westcoasttruth.com]

The only thing worth paying full retail for is pantyhose.

You cannot do all of the good the world needs, but the world needs all of the good you can do.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28095406
United States
11/21/2012 08:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
German Shepards are great,but I wouldnt have anything but a Chow Chow.
Ralph--a house dog

United States
11/21/2012 08:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here's a good article on hip problems in larger dogs"

[link to www.2ndchance.info]

Says dogs respond well to hip replacement surgery but it is a bit pricey. There's other treatments to try first, though.
"Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night.....Rage, rage against the dying of the light"-----Dylan Thomas

HIS NAME IS SETH RICH

"Who decides?"
---Robert A. Heinlein

-'Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.'—Benjamin Franklin

You cannot do all of the good the world needs, but the world needs all of the good you can do.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25658088
United States
11/21/2012 08:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great site for anyone that has any type of dog!!!

[link to leerburg.com]

Shalom...
Laura Bow

United States
11/21/2012 08:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here's a good article on hip problems in larger dogs"

[link to www.2ndchance.info]

Says dogs respond well to hip replacement surgery but it is a bit pricey. There's other treatments to try first, though.
 Quoting: Ralph--a house dog

Some dogs may have dysplasia but never show symptoms, but other dogs may only have mild and be nearly incapacitated. That's a good link, here's another one from OFA -

[link to www.offa.org]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17670138
United States
11/21/2012 08:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
You can have my German Shepherd! He is a freaking yard terrorist!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1110734
United States
11/21/2012 09:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have a friend who breeds them and she seems happy with them as a pet. My only question is about their hips, I always hear stories about them getting some sort of hip problems (I forget what they call it)I also plan on taking it to training, so it will be well behaved in public.

Well, I bet American Breeders will disagree, but many times people will get originally bred German Shepherds from Germany that have been carefully chosen to create a strong vibrant animal. There's a lot of amateurs, nice people, who dally in breeding animals. I've seen a lot of hip dysplasia from their efforts. It's probably not their fault, just the result of some genetic issues that give a predesposed animal with weaknesses. This however is probably the most expensive means of getting one.

Another option is a Timber Shepherd. They're a German Shepherd/Wolf hybrid. They are powerful creatures.

I highly recommend any of the dog books by the monks of New Skete.
[link to www.newskete.com]
They specifically raise German Shepherds and understand them. It'll open your eyes to the needs of dogs and their community and behavior.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6493463
United States
11/21/2012 09:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have a friend who breeds them and she seems happy with them as a pet. My only question is about their hips, I always hear stories about them getting some sort of hip problems (I forget what they call it)I also plan on taking it to training, so it will be well behaved in public.

Get a chihuahua instead. Just as mean, cheaper to feed and smaller poops.
Laura Bow

United States
11/21/2012 09:32 PM
Report Abusive Post

Well, I bet American Breeders will disagree, but many times people will get originally bred German Shepherds from Germany that have been carefully chosen to create a strong vibrant animal. There's a lot of amateurs, nice people, who dally in breeding animals. I've seen a lot of hip dysplasia from their efforts. It's probably not their fault, just the result of some genetic issues that give a predesposed animal with weaknesses. This however is probably the most expensive means of getting one.

Another option is a Timber Shepherd. They're a German Shepherd/Wolf hybrid. They are powerful creatures.

They specifically raise German Shepherds and understand them. It'll open your eyes to the needs of dogs and their community and behavior.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1110734

It looks like the German Shepherds from Germany are not all that great either...

German Cops Ditch German Shepherds for Belgian Breed

Read more: [link to www.foxnews.com]
Nine's

User ID: 23438707
United States
11/21/2012 09:54 PM
Report Abusive Post

It looks like the German Shepherds from Germany are not all that great either...

Uh oh. Don't do this Laura. Can't be spending turkey day evening arguing this issue. lol

I don't think it's that the dogs aren't good, it's the attributes they're looking for. Cost is also a factor. If they do change, I bet they'll go back. You know how high drive a Shepherd is. Can you imagine living with a Mal? Bet there are going to be some exhausted, unhappy cops.
[link to www.pedigreedatabase.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28111438
United States
11/21/2012 10:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good choice OP! I've had two black German Shepherds (one currently) and they are such intelligent dogs. Both came from the shelter... one was 2 yrs and the other was 6 mo. Because they are so intelligent they get bored easily and need to be walked or can take their frustration out by digging holes...but you can't go wrong in the loyalty dept.
SilverPatriot

User ID: 10518597
United States
11/21/2012 10:27 PM
Report Abusive Post

Growing up we had German Shepherds and through the years I have had a German Shepherd/ Alaskan Malamute cross and a German Shepherd/Rottweiler cross and what turned me off to purebred German Shepherds is the extreme breeding where the rear slopes down unnaturally.

Years ago, the qualifications of the German Shepherd stipulated that the backs of the dog were straight as this denoted a breed that was not fast but had duration which was necessary in a herding dog.

As the needs of the police have changed so has their need for more variety in police dog breeds and currently when a drug dog is needed sometimes, a smaller breed the such as a beagle will excel at the job.

The Belgian Malinois is a smaller higher energy dog that is currently he second most used breed where protection is warranted.

Balance Problems With the American Show German Shepherd
[link to leerburg.com]

Breeds of Police Working Dogs
[link to www.summervillepolice.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28187013
Canada
11/21/2012 10:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
a fantastic beautiful intelligent animal..females are especially wonderful.They are prone to having bad hips and large dogs usually only live to 12 years or so
SilverPatriot

United States
11/21/2012 10:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
German shepherds are the best. Make sure you allow them to be around childen as they grow up. Make sure the children respect the dog.
 Quoting: Chip

German Shepherds are good dogs but not a breed for everyone much as the breeds I have a St. Bernard and Anatolian Shepherd are not for everyone due to their innate and/or physical characteristics.

You are correct socialization of any dog is important as is experiencing different everyday circumstances as this helps them interpret other new experiences. When I introduce my Anatolian Shepherd to a new person, I have to sit on the ground to show him that I am comfortable in their presence while no introduction is necessary for the St. Bernard.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26795689
United States
11/21/2012 11:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here's a pic of my german shepherd mut trying to stay warm during the Hurricane Sandy blackout:

:blackoutmut:
MamaHasAwakened

User ID: 5426767
United States
11/21/2012 11:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here's a pic of my german shepherd mut trying to stay warm during the Hurricane Sandy blackout:

:blackoutmut:
 Quoting: ANHEDONIC

I'm in love!!!
Too cute!!
SilverPatriot

United States
11/21/2012 11:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
German shepherds are the best. Make sure you allow them to be around childen as they grow up. Make sure the children respect the dog.

German Shepherds are good dogs but not a breed for everyone much as the breeds I have a St. Bernard and Anatolian Shepherd are not for everyone due to their innate and/or physical characteristics.

You are correct socialization of any dog is important as is experiencing different everyday circumstances as this helps them interpret other new experiences. When I introduce my Anatolian Shepherd to a new person, I have to sit on the ground to show him that I am comfortable in their presence while no introduction is necessary for the St. Bernard.
 Quoting: SilverPatriot

You have to kinda talk dog for a bit eh? Good on you!

I am not certain as what you are on about as I simply voiced my opinion and experiences.
Nine's
User ID: 23438707
United States
11/22/2012 12:00 AM
Report Abusive Post

I am not certain as what you are on about as I simply voiced my opinion and experiences.

I took it to mean that by sitting on the ground to let your dog know it was to "talk dog". Telling your dog it was ok. hf
Ralph--a house dog

United States
11/22/2012 12:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
You can have my German Shepherd! He is a freaking yard terrorist!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17670138

LOL! One of our rescue dogs behaved like that for a while. The neighbors were positive that he was going to break through the fence and kill them.

Sounds like your dog might have some problems that a good trainer could help with, if you haven't really given up on him.

If you are seriously thinking of getting rid of your dog please contact a german shepherd rescue group! Or an all-breed rescue group if there is not one for shepherds in your state. You can find them with an online search. Also, ask your vet if they have any personal contacts with a rescue group.

Just please don't dump your dog at the pound or thru a newspaper ad. Horrible things happen to those dogs.

HIS NAME IS SETH RICH

"Who decides?"
---Robert A. Heinlein

SilverPatriot

United States
11/22/2012 12:23 AM
Report Abusive Post

My point is...talking to a dog is more about body language.

Yes, my apologies you are correct it is pointless to command a dog such as a German Shepherd and especially an ancient independent thinking breed such as the Anatolian Shepherd where one has to lead by example.

I researched the breed and learned they will lie down when not at alert and will uncurl their tails when not threatened therefore I assume that position and he accepts new people.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15188763
United States
11/22/2012 12:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
I have two. You won't regret it. They must have a job though, no matter how menial.
SilverPatriot

United States
11/22/2012 12:30 AM
Report Abusive Post

I took it to mean that by sitting on the ground to let your dog know it was to "talk dog". Telling your dog it was ok. hf
 Quoting: Nine's 23438707

Yes, that is correct dog breeds have certain characteristics through generations of breeding and using their behavior patterns elicits the desired response without undue unproductive drama.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27896463
United States
11/22/2012 12:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
wow, thanks for all the good info on this thread, I am becoming more sure that a german shepherd is what I want.

I am really enjoying this process, I've been without a dog for too long. hf

Are you still leaning towards getting a dog from your friend? Like I said, best to check around and get as much info as possible and please know that a German Shepherd from one line may be a bit different from another line (especially the working dogs, which are great but may be too much for most people!). I saw yesterday that you liked my pic, the pup in my avatar is of the long hair variety. They length of a German Shepherd's coat can vary from extremely short to very long (most are known as short coats though), as well as a myriad of colors.

I see your dogs ears are glued together, indicating one had trouble standing up. Did it work? And at what age is it to late to attempt this?
Laura Bow

United States
11/22/2012 09:09 AM
Report Abusive Post

Uh oh. Don't do this Laura. Can't be spending turkey day evening arguing this issue. lol

I don't think it's that the dogs aren't good, it's the attributes they're looking for. Cost is also a factor. If they do change, I bet they'll go back. You know how high drive a Shepherd is. Can you imagine living with a Mal? Bet there are going to be some exhausted, unhappy cops.
[link to www.pedigreedatabase.com]
 Quoting: Nine's

Come on Nine's, you know we can agree to disagree :) I just don't like when people automatically assume a dog from Germany automatically equals a great dog...just like a dog from America equals crap. I imagine a lot of the cost in the dog is due to the training versus the dog itself, and one of the reasons they mentioned was that the Malinois was "sturdier", to me would mean healthier overall. I could never imagine living with a Mal, beautiful dogs and they seem awfully cool, but I can't even stand my husband when he gets into his intense, active mode...so OMG!!

GLP