I'm thinking of getting a german shepherd

Laura Bow

User ID: 1158661
United States
11/22/2012 09:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: I'm thinking of getting a german shepherd
wow, thanks for all the good info on this thread, I am becoming more sure that a german shepherd is what I want.

I am really enjoying this process, I've been without a dog for too long. hf
 Quoting: mk ultra 5813027

Are you still leaning towards getting a dog from your friend? Like I said, best to check around and get as much info as possible and please know that a German Shepherd from one line may be a bit different from another line (especially the working dogs, which are great but may be too much for most people!). I saw yesterday that you liked my pic, the pup in my avatar is of the long hair variety. They length of a German Shepherd's coat can vary from extremely short to very long (most are known as short coats though), as well as a myriad of colors.
 Quoting: Laura Bow

I see your dogs ears are glued together, indicating one had trouble standing up. Did it work? And at what age is it to late to attempt this?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27896463

Actually they are not glued, but sometimes when German Shepherds ears go up they can almost appear as such. They will go through some funky phases while trying to straighten out! I've never really had a problem with ears going up in my lines, but if you are having an issue with ears, you can start around the age of 4 months. Supplement with calcium (yogurt, cottage cheese, I've even given whole raw eggs shells and all) will help too, along with giving the pup something to teethe on.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28131321
Turkey
11/22/2012 09:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
carefull... your about o fall deeply in love with a critter... ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although i prefer a mix of shepard and?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26307765

We have a mix of Shepherd and ?... Mother was a pure German Shepherd but we don't know the father, it was a natural accident. Our boy is 20% larger than a standard shepherd, he exactly looks like a shepherd except his nose. He is much more stronger and the most clever dog I've ever seen!!! We love him and he loves us and I think we are really lucky to have a dog like him.
Laura Bow

United States
11/30/2012 08:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
carefull... your about o fall deeply in love with a critter... ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although i prefer a mix of shepard and?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26307765

We have a mix of Shepherd and ?... Mother was a pure German Shepherd but we don't know the father, it was a natural accident. Our boy is 20% larger than a standard shepherd, he exactly looks like a shepherd except his nose. He is much more stronger and the most clever dog I've ever seen!!! We love him and he loves us and I think we are really lucky to have a dog like him.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28131321

What does his nose look like?
stars

User ID: 17867407
United States
11/30/2012 08:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
They can have hip dysplasia, among other health issues, which is why it's important to go to a good breeder who knows what they are doing. German Shepherds are good dogs though when properly bred and raised. See my avatar :)

Dog breeder has little to do with it.
All pure breed German Shepards have that genetic flaw.
 Quoting: Burt Gummer

Are you saying all German Shepherds have hip problems? That's incorrect, however it can pop up even in dogs that have had parents, grandparents, etc. who have been health tested. There's no way to produce a flawless dog, just like there is not a flawless human. Some lines are more likely to have good hips than others, however.
Put a little colloidal silver in there water, this kills parasites, bacteria ect.
The dog will live a long healthy life, The immune systems best friend. A vitamin E capsule in food will keep fur shiny plus the other benefits. Something to keep in mind, save alot on vet bills. Of course this works on cats as well.
stars
Laura Bow

United States
11/30/2012 09:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
They can have hip dysplasia, among other health issues, which is why it's important to go to a good breeder who knows what they are doing. German Shepherds are good dogs though when properly bred and raised. See my avatar :)

Dog breeder has little to do with it.
All pure breed German Shepards have that genetic flaw.
 Quoting: Burt Gummer

Are you saying all German Shepherds have hip problems? That's incorrect, however it can pop up even in dogs that have had parents, grandparents, etc. who have been health tested. There's no way to produce a flawless dog, just like there is not a flawless human. Some lines are more likely to have good hips than others, however.
Put a little colloidal silver in there water, this kills parasites, bacteria ect.
The dog will live a long healthy life, The immune systems best friend. A vitamin E capsule in food will keep fur shiny plus the other benefits. Something to keep in mind, save alot on vet bills. Of course this works on cats as well.
 Quoting: stars

Vitamin C is good as well.

GLP