Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,101 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 509,031
Pageviews Today: 874,063Threads Today: 386Posts Today: 5,956
11:10 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

The superior person can hide within society during a period of decaying culture.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28340599
Japan
11/23/2012 12:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
The superior person can hide within society during a period of decaying culture.
H-36, Ming I (Hexagram 36 out of 64, situations of changes)

Darkening of the Light
The light has sunk into the Earth:
The image of Ming I
Thus does the superior man live with the great mass
He covers his outside, and has the principle inside.

The superior person, who values simplicity, can hide within society during a period of decaying culture. Because their needs are very simple, superior people are not easily snared by the changing customs, habits, and view of the society. Understanding the Tao, practicing virtue, superior people are like a well from which other people, seeking to learn and practice virtue, can come to drink. But even if superior people remain within a decaying society, they will not despair when no one comes to use them. Superior people have a concerned mind for all people and remain among them, but are untarnished by the ignorance around them. Superior people only seek to continue learning, becoming ready for the proper time when they are called upon again.

[link to ethicsandspirituality.blogspot.jp]
God Loves ALL

User ID: 27800314
United States
11/23/2012 12:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: The superior person can hide within society during a period of decaying culture.
Nice peace on earth

Last Edited by God Loves ALL on 11/23/2012 12:18 PM
The actual Lord's Prayer Given by Jesus 2000 years ago.

"MY SPIRIT, YOU ARE OMNIPOTENT. YOUR NAME IS HOLY. MAY YOUR REALM BE INCARNATE IN ME. MAY YOUR POWER REVEAL ITSELF WITHIN ME, ON EARTH AND IN THE HEAVEN. GIVE ME TODAY MY DAILY BREAD, AND THUS, LET ME RECOGNIZE MY TRANSGRESSIONS AND ERRORS, AND I SHALL RECOGNIZE THE TRUTH. AND DO NOT LEAD ME INTO TEMPTATION AND CONFUSION, BUT DELIVER ME FROM ERROR. FOR YOURS IS THE REALM WITHIN ME AND THE POWER AND THE KNOWLEDGE FOREVER,
AMEN.

Nice video: [link to www.youtube.com] Make this World a Better One

Thread: Walter Russell Quotes Walter Russell thread
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23093962
United States
11/23/2012 01:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: The superior person can hide within society during a period of decaying culture.
bump

hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23103473
United States
11/23/2012 01:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
The superior person, who values simplicity, can hide within society during a period of decaying culture. Because their needs are very simple, superior people are not easily snared by the changing customs, habits, and view of the society. Understanding the Tao, practicing virtue, superior people are like a well from which other people, seeking to learn and practice virtue, can come to drink. But even if superior people remain within a decaying society, they will not despair when no one comes to use them. Superior people have a concerned mind for all people and remain among them, but are untarnished by the ignorance around them. Superior people only seek to continue learning, becoming ready for the proper time when they are called upon again.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28340599

roseroseroseroseroseroseroseroseroseroseroserose
JBJ
User ID: 28323227
Australia
11/23/2012 09:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13158115
United States
11/23/2012 09:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28358292
Japan
11/23/2012 09:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you hf
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13158115

Thank you and everyone else who enjoyed this. hf

I am studying Confucian and Neo-Connfucian commentaries on the I Ching and other ancient texts now. It is very rewarding. I reccomend it. However there is so much information sometimes I feel my head is going to explode...
Sunyata

User ID: 18505236
United States
11/23/2012 09:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

Darkening of the Light
The image of Ming I

Finger pointing at the moon
hidflect
User ID: 23218892
Australia
11/23/2012 10:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
"Superior Person" aka Psychopath
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28358292
Japan
11/23/2012 10:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: hidflect 23218892

A Psychopath is detached from society, outside, with an aggressive stance.

The Confucian superior man (ren) is the opposite. Fully engaged, moral, humble, acting for others inside the society, non-aggressive, non-egoful, etc.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1427499
Iceland
11/23/2012 10:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

psychopathy according to current psychology, is invariably described and thought of in the negative adaptation to heightened being, the same 'symptoms' as will get many locked up can, with a small bit of self-mastery, becom invaluable tools of aid for the self and those around them - not every knofe is made for killing...

just be realistic about your concepts of 'superiority', and keep mindful of 'one is all, all is one'
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22070412
United States
11/23/2012 10:20 PM
Report Abusive Post

The Confucian superior man (ren) is the opposite. Fully engaged, moral, humble, acting for others inside the society, non-aggressive, non-egoful, etc.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28358292

I wonder if you are aware that a term like "superior man" sounds arrogant, hubristic and conceited? Did I mention bigoted?

As well, although I generally like your description, it is Godless and seems like a distraction from awareness of God and the spiritual nature of our true beings... if you were the supreme Creator you might not appreciate a spirit energy mired in this kind of philosophy...

"Nietsche is dead."

--God

Sort of like "uber mensch" ...

"Nietzsche introduces the concept of the Übermensch in contrast to the other-worldliness of Christianity: Zarathustra proclaims the Übermensch to be the meaning of the earth and admonishes his audience to ignore those who promise other-worldly hopes in order to draw them away from the earth.[5][6] The turn away from the earth is prompted, he says, by a dissatisfaction with life, a dissatisfaction that causes one to create another world in which those who made one unhappy in this life are tormented. The Übermensch is not driven into other worlds away from this one.

Zarathustra declares that the Christian escape from this world also required the invention of an eternal soul which would be separate from the body and survive the body's death. Part of other-worldliness, then, was the abnegation and mortification of the body, or asceticism. Zarathustra further links the Übermensch to the body and to interpreting the soul as simply an aspect of the body.

As the drama of Thus Spoke Zarathustra progresses, the turn to metaphysics in philosophy and Platonism in general come to light as manifestations of other-worldliness, as well. Truth and essence are inventions by means of which men escape from this world. The Übermensch is also free from these failings."

:)

Thread: John Lear may be wrong about Christ
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28371122
United States
11/23/2012 10:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Superior person? That is the ego talking.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/23/2012 10:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

Also, while it is true if you could actually attain the description of a "superior man" you might be a spirit energy that harmonizes naturally with God... the truth is very few of us, even when we wish to be non-egoic, can be so... this seems inherent in a term like "superior man"

perhaps the true term should be something more like: "most humble servant?"

Thread: John Lear may be wrong about Christ
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/23/2012 10:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Jesus Christ basically shows us that we are inherently flawed in this life, but can be redeemed by seeing forgiveness and humility and love for God and each other...

love for God would imply a respect for nature, but not a worship of it...

firmament

User ID: 14463438
Germany
11/23/2012 11:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
roseroserose keep going OP
Northman

User ID: 1110904
Puerto Rico
11/23/2012 11:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well Mr. superior, you have a shelf life about one fiftieth of a turnip. Feel better now?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28375474
United States
11/23/2012 11:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
"The superior person can hide within society during a period of decaying culture."

not the exclusive province of i-ching-a-dingaling. every philosophy or religion that recommends a withdrawl from society says as much. stoicism, cynicism, early christianity and the later aescetic christians, cults, several others
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19206112
Australia
11/23/2012 11:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
It resonates with me not as judgement of others or oneself, but a call to striving towards the path of expanding your own being into oneness, because it is (subjectively of course) the only truly self-evident absolute.
firmament

User ID: 14463438
Germany
11/24/2012 12:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
"The superior person can hide within society during a period of decaying culture."

not the exclusive province of i-ching-a-dingaling. every philosophy or religion that recommends a withdrawl from society says as much. stoicism, cynicism, early christianity and the later aescetic christians, cults, several others
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28375474

....why did you take one sentence out of context?; are you trying to proof that you did not read the whole piece?
How else could you come to this conclusion?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10783814
United States
11/24/2012 12:47 AM
Report Abusive Post

This.

As a Christian, this reminded me of Jesus saying "The meek shall inherit the earth."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1368303
United States
12/03/2012 01:48 PM
Report Abusive Post

No WAY!!! Psychopaths are always seeking to manipulate people to their own ends while the superior person seeks his own council and knows he has enough within himself to survive.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1368303
United States
12/03/2012 01:50 PM
Report Abusive Post

....why did you take one sentence out of context?; are you trying to proof that you did not read the whole piece?
How else could you come to this conclusion?
 Quoting: firmament

This! The superior person "hides within" society, not hides from society.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28385893
United States
12/03/2012 02:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
yes
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28185728
United States
12/03/2012 02:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Replace superior with enlightened.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24329932
United States
12/03/2012 03:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

Darkening of the Light
The image of Ming I

clappa
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29000281
United Kingdom
12/03/2012 03:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you hf
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13158115

Thank you and everyone else who enjoyed this. hf

I am studying Confucian and Neo-Connfucian commentaries on the I Ching and other ancient texts now. It is very rewarding. I reccomend it. However there is so much information sometimes I feel my head is going to explode...

I love Taoism. It's so mysterious and ungraspable.

"Those who know, do not speak. Those who speak, do not know."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28996045
United States
12/03/2012 03:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nice :peace on earth:
 Quoting: God Loves ALL

Yeah, they're not talking about Christians.
Seer777
Ride the wings of the mind

User ID: 3018467
United States
12/03/2012 03:44 PM

Report Abusive Post

Darkening of the Light
The image of Ming I

Lovely.

IntotheDarkenss

Difficulties strengthen the Mind as labor does the body...
~Seneca
goodmockingbird

User ID: 28977383
United States
12/03/2012 03:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28185728

"Superior" is perhaps a poor translation -- and it is a translation.

Perhaps the word "enlightened", as another poster suggested, or "excellent", "wise", or "highly principled" would come closer to a meaning we would understand in modern English.

I'd go with the word "wise".
I Support Our First Responders
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29000281
United Kingdom
12/03/2012 03:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28185728

"Superior" is perhaps a poor translation -- and it is a translation.

Perhaps the word "enlightened", as another poster suggested, or "excellent", "wise", or "highly principled" would come closer to a meaning we would understand in modern English.

I'd go with the word "wise".
 Quoting: goodmockingbird

Yes. "Superior" has a kinda ... Ashkenazi vibe to it!

damned

GLP