Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,787 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 357,627
Pageviews Today: 590,121Threads Today: 199Posts Today: 3,560
08:11 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

EMP or Power grid failure--Let's make a easy 5 step plan for our children.

Harper77
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 28254692
United States
11/24/2012 10:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
EMP or Power grid failure--Let's make a easy 5 step plan for our children.
Let's assume our children are away from our home. Do they know what to do if all power fails?
Example---just saying..
1) When power fails, always locate a grownup.
2) When power is out for more than 30 minutes find a parent.
3) If power is out for more than 2 hours get home.
4) Follow family plan if you have to walk home (know directions)
5) If parents not home when you get there, follow family plan until parents arrive.
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 10:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: EMP or Power grid failure--Let's make a easy 5 step plan for our children.
Maybe your plan is much better, please comment. I would like to have a good plan for my family just in case...
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9277476
United States
11/24/2012 10:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to files.meetup.com]
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 10:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
Light's Out? Looks pretty good...thanks,
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 10:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
I mean, can you even start talking to your children about such?
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28305484
United States
11/24/2012 10:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
stop fooling, we all know you will eat the weakest first.
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 10:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
stop fooling, we all know you will eat the weakest first.

That is exactly why I need a plan for my grand-children. None of my friends have a plan for children in a WTSHTF permanent event.
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 10:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
If your children are at a movie theater, or birthday party at a park, could they get safely home if all heck breaks? Do your schools have plans for such?
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 10:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Come on GLP, I know you have a plan for when the SHTF. Just share one for getting our kids safely home for me!!!

1) ????
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28335607
United States
11/24/2012 10:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
your plan sucks and your post does as well.

Think about it. Kids are kids...ie subject to parental authority and guidance because they lack mature decision making capabilities. You are proposing that they can operate in a stressful situation following some preset formula flawed by lack of knowing how things will play out, or from what direction the threat comes from.

One has to simplify and make it easy to understand.

For example, there is only one objective in a scenario where the grid goes down...finding and protecting the child.

Telling them to go home is stupid. No power at the house...house is under siege or on fire...what then.

No. Say the kid is in school. You TRAIN them where to go in the event all hell breaks loose. My kids went to school in a major metropolitan area of several million people. The school was 2 blocks from the lake. I trained my kids to go to the beach under the lighthouse since no one's natural inclination is to go swimming if things get ugly. I can also go in by boat and avoid the gridlock and panic. Of course, I had a boat at the ready.

All the kids had to do was make it two blocks to the beach and I could get them. No cell phone and no having to find their way home.

In conclusion, there is no magic solution. Scope out the area and make it easy to remember and comply.
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 11:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
your plan sucks and your post does as well.

Think about it. Kids are kids...ie subject to parental authority and guidance because they lack mature decision making capabilities. You are proposing that they can operate in a stressful situation following some preset formula flawed by lack of knowing how things will play out, or from what direction the threat comes from.

One has to simplify and make it easy to understand.

For example, there is only one objective in a scenario where the grid goes down...finding and protecting the child.

Telling them to go home is stupid. No power at the house...house is under siege or on fire...what then.

No. Say the kid is in school. You TRAIN them where to go in the event all hell breaks loose. My kids went to school in a major metropolitan area of several million people. The school was 2 blocks from the lake. I trained my kids to go to the beach under the lighthouse since no one's natural inclination is to go swimming if things get ugly. I can also go in by boat and avoid the gridlock and panic. Of course, I had a boat at the ready.

All the kids had to do was make it two blocks to the beach and I could get them. No cell phone and no having to find their way home.

In conclusion, there is no magic solution. Scope out the area and make it easy to remember and comply.

I didn't think my thread sucked...but thanks for your post. YOU do have a plan and I am glad to hear yours. I appreciate your input anyway. I am very interested to hear what students in school would do. (I worked in a school system and KNOW there are no plans in my district for SHTF and all). My example plan of course assumed the family would want to meet up at the homestead. I know realize that may not be best option for large areas...again thanks for your post!
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 11:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
know=now...sheese..
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 11:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hey poster 28335607!
What if your kids aren't at school? Suppose they are at a friend's house miles away. Or suppose they went to the movie with friends? I mean do your friends family all have a plan coordinated with yours?
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 12:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just think about it...you are at work. SHTF. No electric, no cell phones working, I mean no anything working really! You are so afraid when you figure out what has happened. There is chaos right outside your office and in a matter of minutes everyone is realizing all hell is breaking! Car crashes, airplanes crashing, fires starting everywhere due to things exploding. Same thing happening at schools where your children are. What will they do? Will teachers who realize TSHTF stay to take care of your children or will they be trying to get to their own children. IT IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. It could happen. What do you think? Do you have a plan for the children? Can you share it with me? One poster helped me out...Thank you very very much 28335607.
Anyone else?
Harper77
no-one-special

User ID: 9481624
United States
11/24/2012 12:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
My children are fairly young still. We do have an emergency plan. They don't go anywhere with my husband or I, unless its to grandmas house across town.
But if something happens at school, the schools plan is gather the children into the cafeteria. I told my oldest son if that ever happens he needs to find his brother and sister and hold there hands until I show up. Me, no one else. They are not to walk home, it may not be safe.
If they are at grandmas, she lives in the middle of an orchard, and they are to stay until dad or I get there.
I don't want my kids walking home if TSHTF.....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17834948
Canada
11/24/2012 12:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great Idea bringing this too light and making everybody think about it.

Truthfully though tell your kids to get their asses home immediately though. 2 hours come on already. get home now...! If its either one of those two things caused by Solar Flare or Emp what good is finding a grown up or other parent. They are going to be concerned about their own not your. Your kids must be able to get home on their own or you go get them. I don't know hoe old your kids are but if they can get home on their own great. If not YOU better have a plan to go get them somehow. Your vehicle may not be working. The buses might not be running. Can they get home on their own and do they knw how. Have a pre approved plan route. Then a second route. Walk it with them . Just don't drive around and say come this way. DO IT WITH THEM. Look for danger in your plans. Make your kids aware that people if their vehicles are out of commision also will be getting crazy. I hope you understand how important somthing like this really is. 2 hours is too late. Move. Move now...!
Anonymous Coward
Canada
11/24/2012 12:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
My children are fairly young still. We do have an emergency plan. They don't go anywhere with my husband or I, unless its to grandmas house across town.
But if something happens at school, the schools plan is gather the children into the cafeteria. I told my oldest son if that ever happens he needs to find his brother and sister and hold there hands until I show up. Me, no one else. They are not to walk home, it may not be safe.
If they are at grandmas, she lives in the middle of an orchard, and they are to stay until dad or I get there.
 Quoting: no-one-special

How are you getting to the school cafeteria if none of your vehicles will operate. Is grams's house full of supplies if they end up their. Grama's across town...? How are you getting their with no wheels...? Do you own a bike or some sort of backup. There across town already. Maybe think about getting them to a closer school. I would.
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 12:39 PM
Report Abusive Post

I am glad you answered. My school did not have a plan. I am glad yours does. I just know what goes on with any disturbance in a school.
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
Canada
11/24/2012 12:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
I would be home schooling my kids if very young for the next 6mnths or so coming up. Really what is it going to hurt if you can. If their that young they would enjoy it and would not miss much or get them closer to a school in the neiborhood. If shits going to happen it will be in the next 6 mnths. We all know that. Make the changes. You can always change things back later right. Safer than sorry.

You have to tell yourself that there will be now vehicles running and gridlock. Stuck in traffic or worse you are in a accident. Think about how bad it could really get and work from that angle.

People always say " oh. It woon't get that bad" They are so flip about things. Well hell yes it could.Move them home first. Closer second. Then Plan A and Plan B and Plan C. Get those radio's for their bags with a good range and keep the batteries charged. Some have a range of several miles. You might find them that way.
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 12:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great Idea bringing this too light and making everybody think about it.

Truthfully though tell your kids to get their asses home immediately though. 2 hours come on already. get home now...! If its either one of those two things caused by Solar Flare or Emp what good is finding a grown up or other parent. They are going to be concerned about their own not your. Your kids must be able to get home on their own or you go get them. I don't know hoe old your kids are but if they can get home on their own great. If not YOU better have a plan to go get them somehow. Your vehicle may not be working. The buses might not be running. Can they get home on their own and do they knw how. Have a pre approved plan route. Then a second route. Walk it with them . Just don't drive around and say come this way. DO IT WITH THEM. Look for danger in your plans. Make your kids aware that people if their vehicles are out of commision also will be getting crazy. I hope you understand how important somthing like this really is. 2 hours is too late. Move. Move now...!

Great answer. I was just guessing with the two hours. I am in a rural area and my electric power has been off for over two hours after lightening, etc...The best way to plan is teach them to deduct if electricity goes off for emergencies other than doom failure. And make that plan for the doom type failure!
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
Canada
11/24/2012 12:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Does Grandma's house in the Orchard have a gun...? Is that where your all headed...? Got everything there already...? Is your home ready if you have to stay in place.

All survival experts tell you to have more than one plan. Actually several plans. If your going to Grandma's what happens if you have to flee their too...? Bikes...? Back packs at the ready....? THINK
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 12:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
I would be home schooling my kids if very young for the next 6mnths or so coming up. Really what is it going to hurt if you can. If their that young they would enjoy it and would not miss much or get them closer to a school in the neiborhood. If shits going to happen it will be in the next 6 mnths. We all know that. Make the changes. You can always change things back later right. Safer than sorry.

You have to tell yourself that there will be now vehicles running and gridlock. Stuck in traffic or worse you are in a accident. Think about how bad it could really get and work from that angle.

People always say " oh. It woon't get that bad" They are so flip about things. Well hell yes it could.Move them home first. Closer second. Then Plan A and Plan B and Plan C. Get those radio's for their bags with a good range and keep the batteries charged. Some have a range of several miles. You might find them that way.

This is my first thread..I do not know how to get the poster's comment in block form with the blue back ground...so sorry about that.

Thank you for your post and comment. I really am glad some of you are making a plan. My family still thinks I am a little "crazy" for pushing this plan A, B, C, but I keep trying and talking about it!
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 12:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
How are you getting to the school cafeteria if none of your vehicles will operate. Is grams's house full of supplies if they end up their. Grama's across town...? How are you getting their with no wheels...? Do you own a bike or some sort of backup. There across town already. Maybe think about getting them to a closer school. I would.

Bicycles are great ideas for children. Thanks.

So first part of the easy step plan is to have talked about the issues with your children. Then start on your family plan. I have a 6 part plan drawn up and laminated it for my family. It has the codes we are going to use for each scenario and what groups are to do. They still think I am nuts, but they are humoring me these days thanks to sites like GLP!!!
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:01 PM
Report Abusive Post

Wishing I could do the blue block thingie..
Anyway I was just thinking. Does your boat power by oars? You must live close!
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Does Grandma's house in the Orchard have a gun...? Is that where your all headed...? Got everything there already...? Is your home ready if you have to stay in place.

All survival experts tell you to have more than one plan. Actually several plans. If your going to Grandma's what happens if you have to flee their too...? Bikes...? Back packs at the ready....? THINK
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17834948

I just figured the quote thing out. WOW...hope for me after all!!!
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: no-one-special

Hey I just thought of something else. Remember those threads about the schools that bussed the students to an unclosed location? Your school's plan would be the ideal plan. But I will tell you children who are frightened can be hard to manage and that could be trouble in itself.
I sure hope students in those districts are not driven to FEMA locations ...just think of that night mare!!!
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23766809
United States
11/24/2012 01:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey OP. You do realize that when our power grid goes down all of our nuclear reactors are going to meltdown right? If you live in the eastern half of the country you don't stand a chance. Death from radiation sickness shouldn't take too long. A few weeks perhaps? Probably won't be very pleasant though. Just lettin you know.
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
So...from what we are saying a better start would be;
1) When power fails (fill in the blank for the first step) IE: Find out the source of failure.
I guess we should teach our children that no matter where they are they should call their local power company. I am assuming they have access to a cell phone. The prerequisite would be phone protocol. Now we can have that number in their cells. If the cell phones don't work, you can deduct might be EMP or grid gone.

better...1) When the power fails, call power company. If no cell phone connection go to step 2.
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27910543
Netherlands
11/24/2012 01:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey OP. You do realize that when our power grid goes down all of our nuclear reactors are going to meltdown right? If you live in the eastern half of the country you don't stand a chance. Death from radiation sickness shouldn't take too long. A few weeks perhaps? Probably won't be very pleasant though. Just lettin you know.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23766809

All the more important to have a plan then eh? There is always a chance for survival. That is what makes us human! Thanks for your input
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have given my grandsons a BOB.
I give them survival gifts each time I see them. They have their 5 garbage bags each in them and they can design their own fall out suits!!! These are very rudimentary, but so much better than nothing.
Harper77

GLP