Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,949 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 413,005
Pageviews Today: 710,846Threads Today: 336Posts Today: 4,862
08:19 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

EMP or Power grid failure--Let's make a easy 5 step plan for our children.

Harper77  (OP)

User ID: 28254692
United States
11/24/2012 01:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: EMP or Power grid failure--Let's make a easy 5 step plan for our children.
.1) When the power fails, call power company. If no cell phone connection go to step 2.
2) Make fall out suits from your BOB's.

WE are getting somewhere thanks to your posts. Thank you! Especially if there are nuclear power plant melt downs. I will have to research this fact. Nowhere in fiction stories!
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
You will need duct tape with the garbage bags. Coffee filters or surgical masks will come in handy for these suits!
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
1) When the power fails, call power company. If no cell phone connection go to step 2.
2) Make fall out suits from your BOB's.
now...step 3....how to get home or place of safety for your individual ...
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 02:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
A city map for their BOB's is in order. Or a simple map that they make to enforce directions and road identifiers so they know how to get home. Parents and children should have fun with this project. Then practice showing them how to get home. It will be a lot easier for those in rural areas I am thinking.
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23766809
United States
11/24/2012 02:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey OP. You do realize that when our power grid goes down all of our nuclear reactors are going to meltdown right? If you live in the eastern half of the country you don't stand a chance. Death from radiation sickness shouldn't take too long. A few weeks perhaps? Probably won't be very pleasant though. Just lettin you know.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23766809

All the more important to have a plan then eh? There is always a chance for survival. That is what makes us human! Thanks for your input
 Quoting: Harper77

putin
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17834948
Canada
11/24/2012 02:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
So...from what we are saying a better start would be;
1) When power fails (fill in the blank for the first step) IE: Find out the source of failure.
I guess we should teach our children that no matter where they are they should call their local power company. I am assuming they have access to a cell phone. The prerequisite would be phone protocol. Now we can have that number in their cells. If the cell phones don't work, you can deduct might be EMP or grid gone.

better...1) When the power fails, call power company. If no cell phone connection go to step 2.

Phone the power company. Get real. Garbage bags for fallout...? Get real. Stupid silly waste of time. Garbage bags are good for rain. Thats it. Better get a little bit more realistic about everything. If your family thinks your crazy maybe thats because of your sorry crack pot ideas.

Bikes. Bags. Communication. Maps. Plans. Kid are a little bit more resourceful than your giving them credit for. Staying in place at school only works for a while. Then What...? Solar flare the buses aren't running.

If your plans call for in any way things to be partially operational your all done. Start with the worst case senario and then work down.

Start with nothing. Then ask yourself how are your kids getting Somwhere without you...? If your plan completely relys on your getting to them and you can't then what...?

Get real. Get real or suffer the consequences.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28391644
United Kingdom
11/24/2012 02:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's begun..........................

[link to www.haarpstatus.com]

Nice knowing ya..............
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26942608
Canada
11/24/2012 02:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for bringing this up. With s 15year old and a 10 year old, I never really put alot of thought into it. I will discuss with them and come up with a plan. I am bugging out when tshf so this is an important element. What if I can 't locate one of them. Sheeesh, the thought scares me. Luckily they do have quite a bit of family in my city.

Both know their way around well enough. Intrestingly the 10year old more so than the 15 year old. I think he's more observant than she is. I think I will start by walking to the main places than driving. Help them with orientation. Its about a 2hr walk to the mall or to the theater, so it'll be good for them to understand this.
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 02:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
How to make a fall out suit from garbage bags (for children and adults)
In case of EMP or nuclear bomb blast or meltdown of power plants.

5 large garbage bags
1 roll of duct tape (any tape children can use)
1 surgical mask
1 pair of swimming goggles

Place a garbage bag on each leg. Tape and gather extra up bag around groin area around each leg. As high as you can tape it.
Place a bag around each arm. Tape as close to underarms as possible. Might save one arm and hand for last.

Place remaining bag over head and body. Tape and gather around waist. Tape around neck.

Punch out eye holes and place goggles over eye holes and face.

Punch out hole for mouth to breathe. Tape surgical mask over hole to breathe. Then cover remaining arm and hand as best as you can. This will not be perfect, but as much of the body that can be covered the better for any type of fall out protection.

It is much better preformed with two people. But children can do it.

Something to think about and practice.
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 02:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
So...from what we are saying a better start would be;
1) When power fails (fill in the blank for the first step) IE: Find out the source of failure.
I guess we should teach our children that no matter where they are they should call their local power company. I am assuming they have access to a cell phone. The prerequisite would be phone protocol. Now we can have that number in their cells. If the cell phones don't work, you can deduct might be EMP or grid gone.

better...1) When the power fails, call power company. If no cell phone connection go to step 2.

Phone the power company. Get real. Garbage bags for fallout...? Get real. Stupid silly waste of time. Garbage bags are good for rain. Thats it. Better get a little bit more realistic about everything. If your family thinks your crazy maybe thats because of your sorry crack pot ideas.

Bikes. Bags. Communication. Maps. Plans. Kid are a little bit more resourceful than your giving them credit for. Staying in place at school only works for a while. Then What...? Solar flare the buses aren't running.

If your plans call for in any way things to be partially operational your all done. Start with the worst case senario and then work down.

Start with nothing. Then ask yourself how are your kids
getting Somwhere without you...? If your plan completely relys on your getting to them and you can't then what...?

OK...you give me your plan. I am sure it is much better than mine. I am just trying to bring things to light.
I do know that plastic is a great protection for dust and radiation particles for a temporary time period. It is definitely better than nothing.
Get real. Get real or suffer the consequences.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17834948

Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 02:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for bringing this up. With s 15year old and a 10 year old, I never really put alot of thought into it. I will discuss with them and come up with a plan. I am bugging out when tshf so this is an important element. What if I can 't locate one of them. Sheeesh, the thought scares me. Luckily they do have quite a bit of family in my city.

Both know their way around well enough. Intrestingly the 10year old more so than the 15 year old. I think he's more observant than she is. I think I will start by walking to the main places than driving. Help them with orientation. Its about a 2hr walk to the mall or to the theater, so it'll be good for them to understand this.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26942608

That makes this thread fulfill its purpose. Thanks for not calling me a crackpot!!!
I believe knowledge is power. Most plans are never needed, but better safe than sorry when it comes to our children. They are our future. Thanks for your input!
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24792829
United States
11/24/2012 02:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Really good topic to discuss! No plan is better then the other. We all have different situations.
I thankfully live in rural county area. Our school is 2 miles from our house. I have been mapping a route through the woods and fields to the school in case the roads are blocked.
I have taught my boys(ages 5,8 and 11) survival skills since they were born. We are also working on our plan for emergencies, we live in a flood prone area. I am using that to prep them for SHTF. :)
I will check back later, good post.
hf
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 02:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Really good topic to discuss! No plan is better then the other. We all have different situations.
I thankfully live in rural county area. Our school is 2 miles from our house. I have been mapping a route through the woods and fields to the school in case the roads are blocked.
I have taught my boys(ages 5,8 and 11) survival skills since they were born. We are also working on our plan for emergencies, we live in a flood prone area. I am using that to prep them for SHTF. :)
I will check back later, good post.
hf
 Quoting: LittleMomma

You are so right. And thank you for your input. It is the parents and adults that make the plans after all, but so much better just to be aware. I have found it is also better if families friends and close family are involved with your plans. For example to make sure your friends and family will honor your plan. If you want them to take your children off with them in case SHTF while you are away, etc. I do think a basic 5 step plan would come in handy for others to improvise from, a starting place if you please!.
Harper77
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26143620
United States
11/24/2012 02:55 PM
Report Abusive Post

5 large garbage bags
1 surgical mask

Place a garbage bag on each leg. Tape and gather extra up bag around groin area around each leg. As high as you can tape it.
Place a bag around each arm. Tape as close to underarms as possible. Might save one arm and hand for last.

Place remaining bag over head and body. Tape and gather around waist. Tape around neck.

Punch out hole for mouth to breathe. Tape surgical mask over hole to breathe. Then cover remaining arm and hand as best as you can. This will not be perfect, but as much of the body that can be covered the better for any type of fall out protection.

OP, I'm sorry, but I shudder to think about your grandsons taking a backpack to school with these items. Should the school find these items in the kids backpack, I fear what they might think their use was for.

Be careful not to put the children in danger with your desire to protect them. Also think about the fear that might be instilled in them when giving them this information. I remember in the early 60s having memories of talks between adults as to what to do during an air raid. I was terrified for a very long time...to this day, I often think of the discussions between the adults in front of us children. Even though I wasn't in school I remember the fear from my older siblings that stemmed from the air raid drills in schools.

Consider a new plan that involves you getting to the children as soon as possible, with you having all of the necessary items from there. Hell I don't know, get a horse, a bicycle or something to get there fast, but don't impose fear into the children.
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 03:06 PM
Report Abusive Post

5 large garbage bags
1 surgical mask

OP, I'm sorry, but I shudder to think about your grandsons taking a backpack to school with these items. Should the school find these items in the kids backpack, I fear what they might think their use was for.

Be careful not to put the children in danger with your desire to protect them. Also think about the fear that might be instilled in them when giving them this information. I remember in the early 60s having memories of talks between adults as to what to do during an air raid. I was terrified for a very long time...to this day, I often think of the discussions between the adults in front of us children. Even though I wasn't in school I remember the fear from my older siblings that stemmed from the air raid drills in schools.

Consider a new plan that involves you getting to the children as soon as possible, with you having all of the necessary items from there. Hell I don't know, get a horse, a bicycle or something to get there fast, but don't impose fear into the children.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26143620

LOL...My grandsons are home schooled. And they have BOB's..bug out bags...LOL. They are young but do know about history and failures of societies. We practice these scenarios with camp outs and practice events. They are growing up with survival skills, and can shoot and milk and feed goats. They love every minute of being with me. And they are rarely without adult supervision. But believe me, on my many outings with them at parks and walking. I see many children who are not supervised and I think these things that reflect our society are the new normal, and should not frighten children. Especially with what is happening in the world. Garbage bags are a great source of many uses and you can't have enough!!!
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 03:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey...throw out the idea of the garbage bag fall out suits if it is to scary for you!! LOL I left out a step anyway. For 5th bag you place over body, you will need to tear out arm holes for arms. Some people are so concrete sequential and I forgot this important step, to allow freedom of movement. But arms out of holes in last bag. All the body would be protected from elements in the air. Yet you can walk and move about in them.

Laugh all you want, but it is easy and fun. And 5 garbage bags, one roll of duct tape will come in handy in any SHTF scenario.
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 04:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
1) When the power fails, call power company. If no cell phone connection and failure lingers for 30 minutes or more and you hear signs of chaos. (fires and loud explosions)assume EMP bomb go to step 2.
2) Power failure is due to EMP blast.(Teach children harmful effects of nuclear fall out from EMP)
..Put on your raincoat with hood OR.. Make fall out suits from your BOB's...(not recommended without practice) and prepare to get to your place of safety. Could be lighthouse on beach, parking garage a block from theater. Could be home.
or...if power failure is from grid failure or other, walk or ride bicycle home. Use your designated route from family plan.
3) Do not deter from your specific plan of getting home or staying put. Do not accept ride from strangers etc. Wait for parent or designated contact. Wait at school for parent..etc.

This plan's success will be based on how the child decides if the power failure is due to EMP or power failure without nuclear blast. Teach your child to ask adults how the power failed..etc.

To me it would be safe to teach the child to wear protective gear, IE Rain coat or other, after any long power failure and get safely home. Or to designated waiting point. Either way child would be protected better.

Help me out posters...this is a plan in action...
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 05:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey this thread about done...thanks for you few that posted. The thing to remember is talk with your children, and when they are away from home in these days ahead be sure they know what YOU want them to do or go!hf
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 05:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have designed an acrostic to help children remember the 5 step plan for action to take if they are away from parents or family when the SHTF due to EMP blast or permanent power grid outage.

RULES..

R= Remember to stay alert if electricity goes off.
U= Use protective gear to go outside. (Raincoat or other)
L= Listen and watch for unusual circumstances outside. IE
Car crashes, fires, explosions. Circumvent if possible
E= Expect stress. Adults may be acting different. You
stay calm.
S= Stay put or steal away. Do what your family plan dictates. Stay at school until mom and dad come ..or find brother and sister and walk home!

RULES...get it? Simple way to start.
Harper77
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/24/2012 07:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here is an old tip concerning children, especially very young children. If there is any kind of nuclear fall out settling on the ground, Bruce Clayton "Life After Doomsday" said to carry the very young up on our shoulders. The first organs to be infested with cancer from radiation are the soft organs, IE Ovaries. testicles etc... He said if and when it is deemed safe to go out side for a while, be sure the little ones don't run around on the ground. Their organs will be close to the ground (Just because they are wee little ones) where concentrated amounts of radiation will be and they will get cancer of their reproductive organs a lot quicker than we would. We would want to protect them as much as possible from any fallout consecration. I mean we surely want them to be able to carry on the species and all!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28131879
United States
11/24/2012 08:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
My children are fairly young still. We do have an emergency plan. They don't go anywhere with my husband or I, unless its to grandmas house across town.
But if something happens at school, the schools plan is gather the children into the cafeteria. I told my oldest son if that ever happens he needs to find his brother and sister and hold there hands until I show up. Me, no one else. They are not to walk home, it may not be safe.
If they are at grandmas, she lives in the middle of an orchard, and they are to stay until dad or I get there.
I don't want my kids walking home if TSHTF.....
 Quoting: no-one-special

TRUST YOUR KIDS! If they're worth anything, they're worth trusting, so teach them the goals they should have when TSHTF. That way, they're not operating by rote, and they have a better chance. Kids have brains, but the system teaches them to be meek and timid, instead of using all their abilities.
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 10:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
My children are fairly young still. We do have an emergency plan. They don't go anywhere with my husband or I, unless its to grandmas house across town.
But if something happens at school, the schools plan is gather the children into the cafeteria. I told my oldest son if that ever happens he needs to find his brother and sister and hold there hands until I show up. Me, no one else. They are not to walk home, it may not be safe.
If they are at grandmas, she lives in the middle of an orchard, and they are to stay until dad or I get there.
I don't want my kids walking home if TSHTF.....
 Quoting: no-one-special

TRUST YOUR KIDS! If they're worth anything, they're worth trusting, so teach them the goals they should have when TSHTF. That way, they're not operating by rote, and they have a better chance. Kids have brains, but the system teaches them to be meek and timid, instead of using all their abilities.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28131879

That is good advice but when TSHTF we need to be very sure they can handle themselves. I fear as Americans we are too naive of the horrors that can come. They should be taught to trust in the Lord first, and teach them to be careful in the times to come, under our watchful eye.hf
Harper77
Harper77  (OP)

United States
11/26/2012 09:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have designed an acrostic to help children remember the 5 step plan for action to take if they are away from parents or family when the SHTF due to EMP blast or permanent power grid outage.

RULES..

R= Remember to stay alert if electricity goes off.
U= Use protective gear to go outside. (Raincoat or other)
L= Listen and watch for unusual circumstances outside. IE
Car crashes, fires, explosions. Circumvent if possible
E= Expect stress. Adults may be acting different. You
stay calm.
S= Stay put or steal away. Do what your family plan dictates. Stay at school until mom and dad come ..or find brother and sister and walk home!

RULES...get it? Simple way to start.

Harper77

GLP