Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,037 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 849,862
Pageviews Today: 1,583,149Threads Today: 760Posts Today: 13,468
05:42 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Northwest, N. Calif., Braces For More Rain and Snow!!!

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28170526
United States
11/28/2012 01:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Northwest, N. Calif., Braces For More Rain and Snow!!!
Again I ask, when all of this fear mongering is for NOT, “Will all of you DOOM Sayers, post about how wrong you were with the same fervor ?” I will be glad to do the same if you are correct, which is only fair..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1321115
United States
11/28/2012 01:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
WOW! The way the OP makes this sound I should be running for Sonora right about now...lol btw I live right in the middle of this so called disastrous rain DOOM!!! And yes it is raining and yes it looks like it will rain for the next four to five days here but this is normal for this time of year. NO DOOM!!! Here folks Trust me...

BTW to the poster who has family moving up here the only thing they should be concerned about is having a JOB when they get here as there is no WORK!!! anywhere in site up here. That is the real DOOM for this location not from some heavy rain.

bsflag
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28170526

This will be for 6 straight days! Tell me that in some days ok?
 Quoting: Luisport

Be happy to; I have lived here right in the middle between SF, and SAC for many many years and we get this every year just about...this is not anything out of the norm here..you are fear mongering for no reason.

Anyone who has lived here long enough will tell you because we live in a low valley between two mountain ranges the rain falls like this every year; it does not take some pineapple express DOOM guy to blow a normal thing out of proportion. bsflag bsflagbsflag here is 3 of them as you do not live here and are really full of yourself...

Luis is just trying to be helpful.

Second, we DON'T get storms like this "every year". In fact, need I remind you that we recently came off of a drought?

Please, let's not generalize here. We wait to see what happens and if what he posted gets people to be prepared, then that is a good thing.

The state's water agency has ALREADY called for a flood watch as a of today, so don't tell me this happens every year because they don't issue flood warnings, across the board, every year.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18966583
United States
11/28/2012 01:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
Several storms will roll through the north state during the next several days, though forecasters on Tuesday said the heaviest rain is expected to fall Thursday, likely causing flooded streets as winds gust up to 35 mph.

"If we're going to get a huge amount of water, (Redding's storm drain) system will not handle it," said John Stacher, supervisor of Redding's Storm Drain Utility. "Most systems are designed to handle a 10- or 25-year event. It seems like this is going to be a 100-year event."

[link to www.redding.com]
 Quoting: tarfonwxx

People don't listen. They don't want to believe terrible things can happen, even as they are happening. They will say it is no biggie, refuse to plan ahead, and then cry when they are stranded without power or supplies...and bitch and moan that nobody warned them...rant
snarkModerator
Forum Administrator

User ID: 27313445
United States
11/28/2012 01:10 PM

Report Abusive Post
downtwnfld
This is what downtown Nashville looked like after 3 days of steady rain. It flooded all over the city and did billions of damage. Didn't get a lot of media attention because the Gulf well blew a couple of days later.
T For Texas, T For Tennessee!

The virtue of courage is a prerequisite for the practice of all other virtues, because otherwise one is virtuous only when virtue has no cost. There are times when something needs to be done, and yet we know that if we step up and do this needful thing, we will pay a heavy personal price. -C.S. Lewis
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14995357
United States
11/28/2012 01:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
I`m in cali and in few miles from the coast.

I`m chillin in a trailer in a trailer park and we all know trailer parks always get the worse of things especially flooding.
I`ll keep all abreast of the situation and I`ll post when the water reaches my knees...
IssueX

User ID: 14348632
United States
11/28/2012 01:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Several storms will roll through the north state during the next several days, though forecasters on Tuesday said the heaviest rain is expected to fall Thursday, likely causing flooded streets as winds gust up to 35 mph.

"If we're going to get a huge amount of water, (Redding's storm drain) system will not handle it," said John Stacher, supervisor of Redding's Storm Drain Utility. "Most systems are designed to handle a 10- or 25-year event. It seems like this is going to be a 100-year event."

People don't listen. They don't want to believe terrible things can happen, even as they are happening. They will say it is no biggie, refuse to plan ahead, and then cry when they are stranded without power or supplies...and bitch and moan that nobody warned them...rant
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18966583

blocked storm drains are what caused the flooding which ruined the cars of many people I know from NJ and LI

these people were blocks, sometimes a few miles away from the ocean or a river, fww

better to be safe than sorry

move your car to higher ground and walk back home. it's worth it

jmho, and what I do even around here, because TX is prone to flash flooding
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28170526
United States
11/28/2012 01:14 PM
Report Abusive Post

I`m chillin in a trailer in a trailer park and we all know trailer parks always get the worse of things especially flooding.
I`ll keep all abreast of the situation and I`ll post when the water reaches my knees...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14995357

ROFLOL nice...I like the knee part the best...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23820933
United States
11/28/2012 01:17 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14995357

ROFLOL nice...I like the knee part the best...

I LOL'ed
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18966583
United States
11/28/2012 01:19 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18966583

blocked storm drains are what caused the flooding which ruined the cars of many people I know from NJ and LI

these people were blocks, sometimes a few miles away from the ocean or a river, fww

better to be safe than sorry

move your car to higher ground and walk back home. it's worth it

jmho, and what I do even around here, because TX is prone to flash flooding
 Quoting: IssueX

Good advice - and here's to hoping people in the area take warnings to heart rather than thinking they know better and becoming statistics. Flooding is no joke - particularly when it's widespread enough to prevent emergency rescuers from getting to stranded people.

I think this thing is going to be pretty big when you consider the amount of cumulative precip they are forecasting, and I think it is silly to discount warnings because it often storms in California. They are calling it an 'atmospheric river.' Better safe than sorry, IMO...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28467292
United States
11/28/2012 01:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
I admit I could tell this thread was just for drama from the very beginning. I feel wise.
Kayak Pulling Kayak

User ID: 20524828
United States
11/28/2012 01:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
downtwnfld
This is what downtown Nashville looked like after 3 days of steady rain. It flooded all over the city and did billions of damage. Didn't get a lot of media attention because the Gulf well blew a couple of days later.
 Quoting: snark

Snark I almost died that day kayaking through the flooded streets of Lebanon

Spent an hour hugging a tree

peepants
Doom on!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28645796
United States
11/28/2012 01:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.cnrfc.noaa.gov]
Crazy Harriet

User ID: 28144866
United States
11/28/2012 01:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
You know you're in trouble when the CNN helicopter is recording the speedboats going down the highway within your sights - and if you had a medical emergency there would be no way to get out of your home, even if you could call for help.

Big storms in Cali frequently flood out roads in Northern California, especially in Marin and Sonoma, and in the Sacramento delta.

The idiots who are scorning these warnings are just idiots. Ignore them.

Although we rarely have losses of life, the property damage is horrendous, especially around west Sonoma where the old drain fields have been filled in and turned into quick-profit "developments". The old city, from the 19th century, Guerneville, now floods regularly from even minor storms. Sacramento is very fragile, as are low parts of San Rafael and Novato, which shouldn't have been built in the first place. My coworker once had ocean fish over a foot long swimming through her San Rafael living room. She was ruined financially afterwards when her home was condemned but a high mortgage (yes, as Sandy victims are learning, you still must pay even when the house is gone) and new rent were beyond her and her husbands' combined income ability to pay.

So hope all you guys in California paid attention and have lots of fresh potable water, first aid supplies, and groceries.

Many times the floods knock out power for weeks, and all the refrigerated and frozen food is used or lost, so anyone in those areas needs a non-refrigerated back-up food supply. Canned goods do fine, as it's usually only a couple weeks.

Right now, we just had a break from a couple weeks of rain to the north, and it's starting up again tonight. Oregon/Washington and inland are under the gun again. Got to go make last-minute preparations. Could be months before some areas of our property can be accessed again, without hours of snow plowing.
"I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than risk peace in pursuit of politics." - Donald Trump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27974251
Spain
11/28/2012 01:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
:downtwnfld:
 Quoting: snark

Looks like SimCity.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/28/2012 01:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

No doubt...Nothing in San Jose yet...I want rain :(

You're full of shit!! I've lived here almost 25 years and it's not normal although I haven't seen it yet.
 Quoting: California Jessers

You live in San Jose 2 hours south of where this is effecting....besides you never see the rainfall we get here in between Sac and Turlock...another falsehood statement. If the poster lives close to where I live than they are correct we see this every year nothing special.

I used to live in Rocklin and NEVER saw what they're saying
 Quoting: California Jessers

Rocklin is not anywhere near the valley..just sayin lol you are at least an hour NE in the hills going into the Mountains...

Nope - Rocklin is about 20 minutes away from Sac. If the traffic is bad on I-80, then closer to 30-45 minutes.

It's an hour away from Stockton, however....
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/28/2012 01:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
I am a fourth generation Californian and older than dirt and this is not normal rainfall as is being described for northern California. Yes, 1997, 1995, 1986, 1983, 1977/78, 1964, 1958(spring),1955 (pilots said it looked as if they were flying over the ocean regarding the Sacramento Valley(very large valley), and 1951. Really heavy rainy seasons. Major flooding. So, while it is not normal, it has occured.

That's as far back as I can recall.

The average rainfall for Sacramento is 18.52inches. If we get the 9 to 12 inches of rain that 'they' say we might in this week that is huge.

I live up the hill from there and wse average a little over 36inches per year so we will see what happens???
 Quoting: Mickeyblue 9806228

Mickey if you live here than you also remember the big wind and rain storm a few years ago that came through the valley and ripped trees out of the ground, downed power lines, flooded most of Sac and Lodi to Modesto area...and that storm was way worse than what we have now...

What storm are you referring to? Lodi hasn't had a flood since the 90's. Trees ripped out of the ground, yes, but only a few in town.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28531621
United States
11/28/2012 01:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

It's like driving off the edge of world here in San Fran...
so fucking weird.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28641579
United Kingdom
11/28/2012 01:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
hi glp,im in england and weve just had reall bad flooding in the northeast and also in wales,people died and it ONLY RAINED FOR 3 DAYS AND NIGHTS! You guys are gonna get 6 DAYS RAIN,im telling you now,dont underestimate steady rainfall over a few days,please take precautions now.the big problem weve got in the uk is that there used to be large flood plains that we not allowed to be built on around rivers,but in the 1940s the goverment decided that it was safe to build houses on the flood plains,now everytime it rains for a couple of days straight the houses built on the flood plains,
flood.so these guys properties are completly unsalable,no one will buy them,hell these folks are gonna find it impossible to get flood insurance.....wtf are they gonna do??? Anyway,was just wondering if you have the same problem in the usa??? if you live by a river or body of water in cali.....watch the hell out,after 6 days rain its gonna get read .
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28641579

Stay safe, friend.
How is the weather right now?
I think England is a wonderful place. Since I was a child I have felt a strange closeness to the UK.

I want to visit England so badly.....My daughter is about to graduate and is graduating with honors,she wants to go to England also....Ireland also. How do you like it there? Is it as "green" as everyone says?
Blessings!
 Quoting: Angel Helper

hi there angel helper! The weather has calmed down as far as rain is concerned but now weve got a big freeze happening ,starting today.
Its freezing out there tonight,my heart goes out to all around the world who have lost everything due to these floods.especially with it being so close to christmas,i thank god i havent been affected.england is a beautiful country,the greenary just seems to sprout up everywhere.i live in quite a poor,builtup area but even here the roads are lined with trees and its very tranqual.im sure if you take the trip to visit your daughter,you will love it.we love our american cousins over here and wel make you feel right at home.thankyou for your lovely reply,may the lord make all your paths straight.godbless. hf
Aquarius58

User ID: 5177342
United States
11/28/2012 01:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.atmos.washington.edu]
"The Physical World is a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, coated in a conundrum, basted with a paradox and garnished with uncertainty"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28647720
Portugal
11/28/2012 01:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
i'm back!hf
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
11/28/2012 01:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
AccuWeather.com‏@breakingweather

Wind has knocked out power to customers near Pacifica, CA in the last hour.
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
11/28/2012 01:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Breaking News Storm‏@breakingstorm

San Francisco airport reporting up to 3-1/2 hour delays on arriving flights due to strong winds, rain - @CBSSF [link to cbsloc.al]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19059332
United States
11/28/2012 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Cern large hadron collider strikes again! Also hit south florida and great britain! 12/21/12 !!!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19059332
United States
11/28/2012 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Cern large hadron collider strikes again! Also hit south florida and great britain! 12/21/12 !!!!!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19059332

bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14995357
United States
11/28/2012 02:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
AccuWeather.com‏@breakingweather

Wind has knocked out power to customers near Pacifica, CA in the last hour.

Pacifica is the place where they hold the "maveriks" (sp).

Thats the world surfing championships, I`m suprised they arn`t out there right now catchin them big waves,,

Em guy`s are nuts and wouldn`t think twice about it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28145118
United States
11/28/2012 02:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
hi glp,im in england and weve just had reall bad flooding in the northeast and also in wales,people died and it ONLY RAINED FOR 3 DAYS AND NIGHTS! You guys are gonna get 6 DAYS RAIN,im telling you now,dont underestimate steady rainfall over a few days,please take precautions now.the big problem weve got in the uk is that there used to be large flood plains that we not allowed to be built on around rivers,but in the 1940s the goverment decided that it was safe to build houses on the flood plains,now everytime it rains for a couple of days straight the houses built on the flood plains,
flood.so these guys properties are completly unsalable,no one will buy them,hell these folks are gonna find it impossible to get flood insurance.....wtf are they gonna do??? Anyway,was just wondering if you have the same problem in the usa??? if you live by a river or body of water in cali.....watch the hell out,after 6 days rain its gonna get read .

Stay safe, friend.
How is the weather right now?
I think England is a wonderful place. Since I was a child I have felt a strange closeness to the UK.

I want to visit England so badly.....My daughter is about to graduate and is graduating with honors,she wants to go to England also....Ireland also. How do you like it there? Is it as "green" as everyone says?
Blessings!
 Quoting: Angel Helper

hi there angel helper! The weather has calmed down as far as rain is concerned but now weve got a big freeze happening ,starting today.
Its freezing out there tonight,my heart goes out to all around the world who have lost everything due to these floods.especially with it being so close to christmas,i thank god i havent been affected.england is a beautiful country,the greenary just seems to sprout up everywhere.i live in quite a poor,builtup area but even here the roads are lined with trees and its very tranqual.im sure if you take the trip to visit your daughter,you will love it.we love our american cousins over here and wel make you feel right at home.thankyou for your lovely reply,may the lord make all your paths straight.godbless. hf

You aren't my m.f'n cousin. Fuck that shit. Fuck the queenie and everything that comes with it neighbor, for real.

Now back to talking the weather and how pretty your ass-fucked brutish country is and.........have a swell day!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28145118
United States
11/28/2012 02:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Larry?
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
11/28/2012 02:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

After lull, next wave of energy into CA/OR border coast will have winds > hurr force just above surface layer Thur [link to twitter.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 559309
United States
11/28/2012 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

After lull, next wave of energy into CA/OR border coast will have winds > hurr force just above surface layer Thur [link to twitter.com]

nonplussed by the first one
TTX8K82

User ID: 26400095
United States
11/28/2012 02:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
I lived in the N/W for years - got tired of the rain & snow - summers r great.

There were years that would have the 100 year storms, looks like u r in one. I also remember the drouths. For now I will stick with the desert S/W, we have had 3-1/2" of rain so far this year, 7" is the average.

GLP