Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,474 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 408,059
Pageviews Today: 654,678Threads Today: 187Posts Today: 3,287
07:00 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

“Who are the Grateful Dead, and why do they keep following me?” -Long "New Yorker" article about the Grateful Dead

wisc_natureboy
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 28638254
United States
11/28/2012 12:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
“Who are the Grateful Dead, and why do they keep following me?” -Long "New Yorker" article about the Grateful Dead
Licorice lol

Good stuff here:

"The music, even in the standard verse-chorus stretches, often had a limber, wobbly feel to it that struck many listeners as slovenly but others as sinuous and alive, open to possibility and surprise. It came across as music being made, rather than executed. “These guys have evolved a thing where each guy is playing a running line all the time,” David Crosby once said.

“That’s electronic Dixieland.” The music critic Brent Wood has ascribed the sound of it to “the band’s emphasis on true polyphony, a texture heard only rarely in contemporary popular music.

Seldom do rhythm guitar, keyboard or drum parts vary at the same time as the bass and lead guitar. . . . Still more infrequently are all six parts being improvised.”

So you could attribute an aversion to the Dead to a failure of polyphonic appreciation. Or you could chalk it up to taste.
“Our audience is like people who like licorice,” Jerry Garcia said. “Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”

Read on...
[link to www.newyorker.com]
We all breathe the same air.
.-.. --- ...- . / .- .-.. .-..
wisc_natureboy  (OP)

United States
11/28/2012 08:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: “Who are the Grateful Dead, and why do they keep following me?” -Long "New Yorker" article about the Grateful Dead
Bump for the night crowd.

Polyphony is a property of musical instruments, meaning they can play multiple notes simultaneously.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6590446
United States
11/28/2012 08:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: “Who are the Grateful Dead, and why do they keep following me?” -Long "New Yorker" article about the Grateful Dead
awesome thanks OP
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24879401
United Kingdom
11/28/2012 08:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great piece of writing, very fair on the good and bad sides of the Dead, thank you for posting that.

The Grateful Dead are really fucking obscure and for serious music obsessives only in Europe, we just didn't have that whole Deadhead culture here as they hardly ever came here. Still kicking myself for not seeing them in 1990 when I had the chance - Tony Blair made it, the dickputin

Listening right now to 'He's Gone' from Dicks Picks One.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21237155
United States
11/28/2012 08:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Bump for the night crowd.

Polyphony is a property of musical instruments, meaning they can play multiple notes simultaneously.
 Quoting: wisc_natureboy

Well, they did have 2 drummers and the rhythm guitarist was good enough to play lead.

I think they're good, but peaked with American Beauty.

Most of the 'Deadheads' I know were trippers, just not my gig. Garcia was damn good though, smooth, clean with his own style. Not a shredder by any means, but he could make that guitar sing pretty sweet...
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/28/2012 08:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
One of the most interesting parts of that article points out that more music is in circulation of the Grateful Dead than any other musicians in the history of the planet, and their archivist suggest there will be another 50 years at least of archive releases. I got an Ed Sanders oo-ee-oo reading that!

Up to the 'Other One' jam on DP1 by now.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27748702
United States
11/28/2012 09:18 PM
Report Abusive Post

[link to www.youtube.com]

Hey WN......hope that you are doing well. Have a nice week.

penguin

David
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/28/2012 09:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

wisc_natureboy  (OP)

United States
11/28/2012 09:44 PM
Report Abusive Post

Hey WN......hope that you are doing well. Have a nice week.

penguin

David
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27748702

Hey David, I bumped this thinking you might see it. ;-`)
Hope all is good with you.
Finals time around here, mixed emotions as I hate failing folks.

TDJ

User ID: 26423286
United States
11/28/2012 09:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
marked for later

hotcoon

My Sirius/XM never leaves the Grateful Dead channel ch.57 I think

Last Edited by Founders Fan on 11/28/2012 09:52 PM
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.

Bob Marley

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.”
THOMAS PAINE (1737-1809)

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. Bruce Lee
Perseus7

User ID: 28260886
United States
11/28/2012 09:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Jerry Garcia was Jesus Christ in the flesh if you didn't know. You can find GoD through him as you could before.

This message is sealed by the hand of GoD. So let it be written so let it be done.
1s 2s 2p 3s 3p 4s 3d 4p 5s 4d 5p 6s 4f 5d 6p 7s 5f 6d 7p
wisc_natureboy  (OP)

United States
11/28/2012 10:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
My Sirius/XM never leaves the Grateful Dead channel ch.57 I think
 Quoting: TDJ

And how are you not on my Buddy list? lol
Deadheads unite!
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/28/2012 10:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

Anonymous Coward
United States
11/28/2012 11:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

Anonymous Coward
United States
11/28/2012 11:31 PM
Report Abusive Post

wisc_natureboy  (OP)

United States
11/28/2012 11:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

Wow, wow, wow!
What a great version, the recording is so punchy and wide!
And they are ALL ON!

Thanks for finding it David!

woohoo

I actually got up and danced for a bit, I couldn't help myself. ;-`)
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/29/2012 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post

My pleasure WN. Stay warm.

David
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/29/2012 12:38 AM
Report Abusive Post

wisc_natureboy  (OP)

United States
11/29/2012 12:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
My pleasure WN. Stay warm.

David

Plenty warm up here, was in the teens, up to 65 by Friday.
Pretty odd for around here.

Is this the same show? Sounds great as well, both the recording and the boys, top notch!
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
11/29/2012 12:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
Jerry Garcia was Jesus Christ in the flesh if you didn't know. You can find GoD through him as you could before.
 Quoting: Perseus7

In all seriousness: read the great article posted by OP and open your mind a little more, lost sailor.
Chrit

User ID: 27088294
United States
11/29/2012 12:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
I was there at the end...Watched them all walk away from buckeye lake.
I'm only human, it's my biggest flaw.

We must all realize a sink a chair and a pillow are all luxuries of home and a soldiers helmet takes the place of all three.
wisc_natureboy  (OP)

United States
11/29/2012 12:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Chrit

verysad

I was at Soldier Field '95.
For all the complaints I heard that night, all I could think was here is a man who didn't call in sick, when he probably should have.
Best to focus on the beauty and transcendence rather than the demise. ;-`)

Buckeye Lake, is that the place just East of Columbus?
Legend Valley now.
Saw DSO there for three nights this past Summer, and Phil and Bobby there a month earlier. ;-`)
Chrit

User ID: 27088294
United States
11/29/2012 01:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Chrit

verysad

I was at Soldier Field '95.
For all the complaints I heard that night, all I could think was here is a man who didn't call in sick, when he probably should have.
Best to focus on the beauty and transcendence rather than the demise. ;-`)

Buckeye Lake, is that the place just East of Columbus?
Legend Valley now.
Saw DSO there for three nights this past Summer, and Phil and Bobby there a month earlier. ;-`)

It was always a good time.
I'm only human, it's my biggest flaw.

We must all realize a sink a chair and a pillow are all luxuries of home and a soldiers helmet takes the place of all three.
wisc_natureboy  (OP)

United States
11/29/2012 01:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Damn, maybe we ought to be posting the tunes in the order of the Barton Hall set list. ;-`)

From Youtube comments:
One of THE greatest shows the Dead ever played. Legendary Cornell 5/8/77. I was lucky enough a couple years back to score a pristine copy of this show in it's entirety. The "thing that happens at the end of Morning Dew might just blow your fucking mind. Yeah, it's that amazing, and to this day I'm still not sure exactly where that sound comes from. ?????

xxxdwbxxx 2 weeks ago
DT2

User ID: 27840985
United States
11/29/2012 01:17 AM

Report Abusive Post
Damn, maybe we ought to be posting the tunes in the order of the Barton Hall set list. ;-`)

From Youtube comments:
One of THE greatest shows the Dead ever played. Legendary Cornell 5/8/77. I was lucky enough a couple years back to score a pristine copy of this show in it's entirety. The "thing that happens at the end of Morning Dew might just blow your fucking mind. Yeah, it's that amazing, and to this day I'm still not sure exactly where that sound comes from. ?????

xxxdwbxxx 2 weeks ago

I have a crappy, beat-up, worn-out cassette tape of that show. One of the best in my opinion.
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified."
Perseus7

User ID: 28260886
United States
11/29/2012 02:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Perseus7

In all seriousness: read the great article posted by OP and open your mind a little more, lost sailor.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24879401

do not presume to educate me child

Last Edited by <%)oM34PrIm|(%>< on 11/29/2012 03:13 AM
1s 2s 2p 3s 3p 4s 3d 4p 5s 4d 5p 6s 4f 5d 6p 7s 5f 6d 7p
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26801296
United States
11/29/2012 07:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
...Watkins Glen ,N.Y. 1973 trioband
Lester
User ID: 19057510
United States
11/29/2012 07:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
Pretty hard for me not to find time to listen to at least a couple tracks from Workingman's Dead everytime I go past it in my FLAC album collection on the machine here.

Bought the album Summer of 71. Never found any other of their albums as compelling, but my brother had Old & In The Way with J. Garcia in 73/74 when rock sucked so bad all there was was Blue Grass or Country. 'Bout wore Old & In The Way out.

Tremendous play order in Workingman's Dead. Every song stands on its own. Timeless. Black Peter, High Time, Cumberland Blues, New Speedway Boogie...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28707420
Israel
11/29/2012 08:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hay bro

You are RIGHT aint nothing like the GRATEFUL DEAD !

Phil Lesh
User ID: 25184550
United States
11/29/2012 07:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks guys!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18769121
United States
11/29/2012 07:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Cal expo late 80s. Jerry high as a kite on coca playing friend of the devil at 140beats per minute

GLP