Follow me on Twitter: @RussellScott202
Evil Cretin

User ID: 1217128
United States
11/29/2012 04:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: ...
Didn't see anything about picking locks.
Free speech is never free.

Well I know it wasn't you who held me down
Heaven knows it wasn't you who set me free
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key - Eagles
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 343571
United States
11/29/2012 04:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
I put the cats food in a tote with a very tight lid and 4 flap type locks to keep the racoons out. The litte buggers broke into it the first night. They are clever beyound belief.
SilentlyKnowing

User ID: 19151544
United States
11/29/2012 04:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
They can be a pain...but they have
mastered the "LOOK"--check out this
pic! lol!
Cheers!
SK

Bringinthepets11
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18346365
United States
11/29/2012 04:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
COOL STORY BRO!

5a

pump2byekitty
Esoteric Morgan
...in awe of many things

User ID: 26943919
United States
11/29/2012 04:54 PM

Report Abusive Post
My son came home from school, leaving his metal lunch box on the deck table.

Some time later, hearing a noise, I look out a window...a raccoon is opening the latch on his lunchbox with his little fingers, as if he's done this all his life.

Stunned, I continue to watch. He takes out the remainder of a peanut butter sandwich, tastes it, puts it aside, and removes a partially eaten apple, which he starts eating.

As cute as this is, I'm certain I don't want these critters making this a habit...so I chase him. This went on for some time, as they had discovered the trash bins, which we had to finally put into the garage. I thought they had moved on.

Little did I know a family of them started living in the eaves.

Before the winter was over, we had to hire someone to smoke them out and repair the damage they had done.

How did we find them? After an ice storm, I was driving my car out of the garage when I noticed that the bottom corner of the eave was pulled down. As I was looking at it through the windshield, I saw a few 'lights' shininhg from the darkness of the damage...which turned out to be the EYES of a number of raccoons.

They are perhaps the cutest, most intriguing pests one can have around...which are poised to cause any homeowner a nightmare, if around.

BEWARE of such pretty poison.

banana2

Last Edited by esotericMorgan on 11/29/2012 04:56 PM
-- TRUST THE PLAN --
.......WWG1WGA......

User ID: 27337849
United States
11/29/2012 05:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
One time when I was coming up the basement stairs, I had the feeling I was being watched. I turned my head and was face to face with one of the many Raccoons that live near me. They are very cute, but they wrecked our shed and actually ate the cushions on our patio furniture. My dog HATES them with a passion, and they're afraid of him. Good. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in Pawnee Indiana, but I live at the New Jersey Shore. Why the hell do we have Raccoons at the shore?
"When tyrants tremble in their fear, and hear their death knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near, how can I keep from singing"

page7
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1468340
United States
11/29/2012 05:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
When I was doing a boat trip down in the FL keys there were many racoons at Flamingo state camp ground. We had a zip up cooler packed w/food in the boat.
Racoons amazingly were able to unzip it and ate a large portion of the contents.
iIncluding chip dip, then proceeded to poop all over the boat, what a disgusting mess.
Hardamber
User ID: 28251240
United States
11/29/2012 05:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
If you find them, please don't kill the creatures. They have a hard enough life trying to stay warm and dry with a full belly. Call a re-habber. They will come out and take them out of your hair for you.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27700889
United States
11/29/2012 05:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Randomly enough there were THREE raccoons outside my garage when i arrived home last night!! They climbed up the tree decorating the side of my house and i was trapped in the car with my kids until these lil scary monsters left! lol... it was frightening!!! I honked the horn and tried to scare them away, but i am sure i was more scared than they were!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7222496
Canada
11/29/2012 05:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Lol this thread is full of awesome.
INK3

User ID: 27337849
United States
11/29/2012 05:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
If you find them, please don't kill the creatures. They have a hard enough life trying to stay warm and dry with a full belly. Call a re-habber. They will come out and take them out of your hair for you.
 Quoting: Hardamber 28251240

Not where I live. No one wants them.
"When tyrants tremble in their fear, and hear their death knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near, how can I keep from singing"

page7
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11963746
United States
11/29/2012 05:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
I knew someone who had 4 of them as pets, raised since they were wee babies.

They are a pain in the azz. They get into everything. No cabinet or drawer is safe. They open and examine everything and don't put things back in their proper place.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22070412
United States
11/29/2012 05:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
yup. gotta love the 'coon! they are everywhere on land... jersey shore probably has lots of em, they like sea food!

we had one almost as big as a small bear make quite a racket unhooking the fat tray from the outdoor grill...

:)
Anonymous Coward
Canada
11/29/2012 05:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
I knew someone who had 4 of them as pets, raised since they were wee babies.

They are a pain in the azz. They get into everything. No cabinet or drawer is safe. They open and examine everything and don't put things back in their proper place.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11963746

lol that's great.

I love racoons.

Nothing is worse then the Pakistani mongoose though.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27786776
American Samoa
11/29/2012 05:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Once while camping near our home in California, we were awoken by noises outside the tent. We went out and found three raccoons shredding the pads off of the roll bars on our jeep.

Another time, camping at the same place, we were again awoken from our tent. I saw several raccoons run out the door of our camper, they had somehow opened the door (latch was up high), gone inside and opened the fridge, smashed eggs all over the floor, spilled milk and stolen a loaf of bread.

Another time, I heard a noise on my back patio, I went out to find a large raccoon with it's head inside our dog's food bin. It had punched a hole through the "unbreakable" Rubbermaid bin to get at the food. I tried to chase it away, but it stood up like a bear and hissed at me violently. I grabbed a broom and he ran off when I raised it.

They are cute little critters, but can be a real pain in the ass.
Carol B.

User ID: 21050000
United States
11/29/2012 05:53 PM

Report Abusive Post

cool cat
Prayer.....the world's first wireless connection.
Person445  (OP)

User ID: 11438968
Canada
11/29/2012 05:56 PM
Report Abusive Post

cool cat
 Quoting: Carol B.

That's about as cute as it gets. AWESOME!
Pa resident1

User ID: 25278920
United States
11/29/2012 05:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes and they can figure stuff out too. I was keep two silkie chickens in a dog cage in my barn. I had one side of the cage covered with a special type of metal cloth to keep the coon from sticking his hands in to grab a bird and eat it's head off. I had this big cage up against a wall. One night, they pulled the entire cage off the wall, got to the unprotected side, reached in and pulled one of the birds head out and they ate the head and neck off. Luckily it was not a hen that the coon killed.
"When you don't keep your word, you lose credibility and trustworthy friends"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15740069
United States
11/29/2012 05:58 PM
Report Abusive Post

[link to www.youtube.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10809107
United States
11/29/2012 06:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tell me about it I have chickens, came out to the coop one night and about 5 of them are literally sitting on their asses eating the chicken feed like they werehaving a fucking party, the rifle picked off about 4 of them before they scattered
TDJ

User ID: 26423286
United States
11/29/2012 06:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
One night my wife then (ex now) and I were fishing out of my little 14ft boat and kept hearing something hitting the water beside the boat. I shined my spot light at the bank of the lake and a mother coon was throwing rocks at our boat.

She had 3 little ones with her and when the light hit her she said something to her babies and they ran up a nearby tree. It was an amazing experience and they were all so cute.

She must have thrown the rocks 20-25 feet accurately
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.

Bob Marley

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.”
THOMAS PAINE (1737-1809)

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. Bruce Lee
Anonymous Coward
Canada
11/29/2012 06:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/29/2012 06:11 PM
Report Abusive Post

Anonymous Coward
Canada
11/29/2012 06:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/29/2012 06:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

Person445  (OP)

User ID: 11438968
Canada
11/29/2012 06:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
One night my wife then (ex now) and I were fishing out of my little 14ft boat and kept hearing something hitting the water beside the boat. I shined my spot light at the bank of the lake and a mother coon was throwing rocks at our boat.

She had 3 little ones with her and when the light hit her she said something to her babies and they ran up a nearby tree. It was an amazing experience and they were all so cute.

She must have thrown the rocks 20-25 feet accurately
 Quoting: TDJ

That's incredible!
MrNiceGuy
User ID: 18131262
United States
11/29/2012 06:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
So how long before they are poisoned for their survivalist ways ....oh i mean "pest ways" ?

Who do they think they are living on OUR land. We are human beings we share nothing with wild animals. : )
MrNiceGuy
United States
11/29/2012 06:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tell me about it I have chickens, came out to the coop one night and about 5 of them are literally sitting on their asses eating the chicken feed like they werehaving a fucking party, the rifle picked off about 4 of them before they scattered
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10809107

Awww how cute. You killed the little buggers. Good for you. : )
MrNiceGuy
United States
11/29/2012 06:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Once while camping near our home in California, we were awoken by noises outside the tent. We went out and found three raccoons shredding the pads off of the roll bars on our jeep.

Another time, camping at the same place, we were again awoken from our tent. I saw several raccoons run out the door of our camper, they had somehow opened the door (latch was up high), gone inside and opened the fridge, smashed eggs all over the floor, spilled milk and stolen a loaf of bread.

Another time, I heard a noise on my back patio, I went out to find a large raccoon with it's head inside our dog's food bin. It had punched a hole through the "unbreakable" Rubbermaid bin to get at the food. I tried to chase it away, but it stood up like a bear and hissed at me violently. I grabbed a broom and he ran off when I raised it.

They are cute little critters, but can be a real pain in the ass.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27786776

Then why don't you set out some poison and kill them ? : )
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/29/2012 06:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
This Coon wants some Watermelon !

GLP